• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] What is the best way to tell an INFP you love them?

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ The best advice here.

To sort of reiterate and interweave these thoughts I have to dispel some misinformation about INFPs. We are not these emotional beings that are easily and overwhelming moved by any degree of sentiment. We are the highest critics of emotional expression - not just anything will do. I find sentimentality and cliqued romantic gestures to be very repelling. Its like emptily going through the motions of romance and hoping this will result in actual feeling. Genuine, truthful emotions are so much more interesting and appealing. The way to acheive this is to be honest with yourself and her. A understated, matter of fact, or offhand expression of feeling in an inane situation such as washing the dishes, is so much more romantic to me than a grand declaration on a moonlit walk on the beach.

Also remember words are easy. They're easy to say and easy to take back. I'm not sure about other INFPs but I'm suspicious (well, more cautious) of the things people say - they always disguise underlying truths. My ISFP friend has a saying: "love is an action word". In other words, you can't just say it, you have to prove it in your everyday behaviour. If you love her, show that its an unselfish love and be generous with yourself. Show interest in and spend time doing the things she likes, listen to her (and remember what she says), do things to help her out without her asking etc. This isn't as showy or straight-forward as flattery and grand romantic declarations but its so much more meaningful (and much more appreciated by a INFP). Hopefully, if you do more of this she may start to feel more of a connection with you and will open herself up to you more.

Yes, this explains it very well. :yes:
I particularly like the phrasing of the bolded part. That needs to be in INFP descriptions :D.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
the highest critics of emotional expression

Yes, if you do it wrong, we will not make fun of you but we will lose all respect for you. :shock:

PotatoPeeler68

MBTI Type
INFP
Ha! You're definitely ENTJ, I don't doubt you there. But how do you tell an INFP you love them. You said you want to pull her out of her fantasy land and tell her the "reality" of your feelings. But maybe you should embrace that fantasy side of her instead. It may be hard, but if you show that your feelings are real (and perhaps not facts or statistics) then that will help.

Because INFPs love authenticity, that's a defining characteristic. If you haven't told her, tell her!!! There is little way for us to know that you like us besides that! As long as you're real and your actions manifest your words, you should be fine.