• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP: The ENFP bitchslap

sculpting

I wanted to highlight a particular aspect you may have noted when interacting with ENFPs of the more Te flavored variety.

I like to call it the "Te bitchslap" although I have heard terms like Te rage employed as well.

Te in ENFPs comes across in a variety of ways but in this particular instance the following pattern is often observed:

1. The ENFP has allowed an Fi interaction to form or made an offering of Fi
2. Another person does something agonizingly painful to injure that Fi-typically rejection of the core of the individual. The deeper the connection, the more painful the rejection is.
3. The Te surfaces as a ragful attack, often blistering in its intensity. It is a defensive measure to ward off further Fi attacks.
4. This is almost always followed by apologies, a day or so after the fact.

In a particularly unhealthy ENFP you will typically provoke an Fe shadow between steps 2 and 3 which prevents the Te Bitchslap from occurring. They will seek to withdraw into a place of numbness. Unless you continue to provoke them. Then they will deploy the Te bitchslap.

I once did let loose with a Te bitchslap here on a poor ENTP-sorry...

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
completely relate with the train of thought and phrasing there...yep.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, that's the last time I'll be sending naked pictures.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Well, that's the last time I'll be sending naked pictures.

funny-pictures-ducks-rate-eachother-as-they-dive.jpg

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:wubbie:

I know this wasn't your intention, but it's still cute as hell, somehow.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

OK, plz explain! I *never* got this. The times I'm unable to control myself and do this, I feel so utterly embarassed afterwards. Most people hate my guts instantly for doing it, my SO just looks at me all endeared...unless I unleash it on him and i actually hit a nerve :alttongue:

G

garbage

Yeah, I can see it.

Sometimes, the very act of protecting myself against future onslaughts from someone just seems "mean", and I have the urge to give the other person yet another chance or at least apologize for my actions. And then we're back to square one again.

So, the pattern described in steps 1-4 can be cyclical, especially in unhealthy relationships. That's probably something to watch out for.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, plz explain! I *never* got this. The times I'm unable to control myself and do this, I feel so utterly embarassed afterwards. Most people hate my guts instantly for doing it, my SO just looks at me all endeared...unless I unleash it on him and i actually hit a nerve

Putting my usual ENFP-infatuation aside, it is so interesting to see you step out of the "harmless bunny" state to go on a horrible rampage of self-defense. It's a rare sight indeed. Snowstorms are no big deal in Siberia, but they are miraculous in Africa or India. We (I) don't know whether to interfere or to watch in awe. It's a cocktail of emotions for both you and us (me), but it's more like cute and amazing than anything else.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You realize that calling me cute while I'm in full blown fury-mode is going to make you an instant target, right? :thelook:

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't tell you. Heck, I'd never even write it down if not for TypoC :D

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That tert-Te bitch slap doesn't look much different than my Fe bitch slap...

Just sayin.

sculpting

How does this bitchslap compare to that of other types?

Hmmm,

Well you distinctly see this in EXFPs.

ENFPs, Ne, Fi, Te, Si will be marked by more cerebral expressions of frustration via physical displays such as gathering all the other ENFPs up in the office and poking out the offending person’s eyeballs in their pictures and calling them the antichrist. Then we all giggle and shred your pictures and your associated galactic entity, Hoog’s object.

(Oddly enough our shredder has a “no baby” icon on it, however it seems idealized representations are perfectly acceptable fodder. (Again just a representative example of how this might play out….))

ESFPs, Se, Fi, Te, Ni based in Se reality, take it to the next level and often display overt physical aggression via burning all of your things in the front yard, breaking out your car windows, calling the police on you and throwing your ass in jail for made up offenses. They also are big fans of my-space wars that end up destroying other people’s marriages which seem to start over stolen pencils.

Note the overt public nature of these displays. Not only does Tert Te exhibit rage-it broadcasts its displeasure publically. This isn’t planned-it just is how it plays out. For every pattern you can map in behavior, there is likely an underlying biological rationale-an evolutionary reason that behavioral pattern is conserved.

In this case I’d suggest you are seeing the role that EXFPs play in a Te dominated society. If the Tert Te is being deployed against a Te dom or aux, it is highly likely they are unworthy of trust. Since the entire Te dom society relies upon the leadership and trustworthiness of the leaders-and their commitment to care for the rest of the group-ie not hurt them-for survival, a flawed Te dom should be indentified and broadcast to the group. FAIL. (Note, this open display is horrifying to most Fe users. Mortifying.)

Moving on,

EXTPs follow a similar pattern with the tert function but using Fe-thus do the opposite of this. The will very obviously withdraw from overt conflict.

I call this an Fe shrug. Both ENTPs and ESTPs do this. Fe users seem to handle conflict quietly, behind the scenes, in a subtle fashion. This would be in concordance with an Fe need to maintain social stability even in times of stress and disagreement.
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/20674-entp-shrug.html

Katsuni had some very good observations in that thread ^^ of what this Fe defensive shrug/shun feels like.

How ENTP tert Fe users respond to stress vs ENFP tert Te users. Note avoidance and retreat for Fe vs agitated attack for Te, thus subsequent bloodshed and escalation:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...rices/25747-pretentious-fi-24.html#post981404

Under massive stress I have seen some ENTPs say they can feel a Te rage. I cant speak to this though, just have seen them say this. I don’t understand how it correlates with a Te shadow function in ENTPs. Need more datums.

I assume the other types will have similar defensive patterns, although it seems the introverts perhaps revert to the inferior function??? I just don’t know, I haven’t spent enough time observing

sculpting

A very valid point-this Te tert bitch slap appears “immature” on the surface.

I’d say it is a defensive mechanism you will encounter in younger ENFPs. My first model lacked an essential step:

1. Emotional insult to Fi

2. A choice:
a. Retreat via an Fe shadow for unhealthy ENFPs or under massive stress
b. Proceed to step 3 for younger ENFPs
c. Pause-for older, more mature ENFPs
3. Then the Te tert bitch slap ensuses

The Fe users have a very good case of Fi users not “owning” our emotion. This is very difficult honestly and must be developed as a skill. It is in no way innate.

Fi displays its pain as a way to gain the assistance of another Fi user through a reflected mirrored pain. It is outwardly displayed.

To insult Fi is to produce a profound sense of emotional pain and a sense of shock. It is mentally crippling depending upon the level of the Fi connection. It is agonizing and when the enfp is younger it seems to provoke a very strong Tert Te Bitchslap.

As we age though we have to practice and develop the ability to insert a pause between the pain and the defensive reaction. Once you are aware of the pattern, you now have a choice about how to respond. During the pause, I watch the pain grow, feel the hurt, and then can chose how to respond.

That pause is essential.
I think of it as the “Jesus moment”. I can feel Fi and Te tottering back and forth. I want to lash out, yet I also want to nurture and care for the other and understand that lashing out will hurt them. I “own” my own pain and can choose to respond in a productive way, recognizing my pain may not be justified or may be the result of a misunderstanding, a mistake, a lack of intent on the part of the other. It is a delicate balance that involves rationalizing the pain felt.. If you must invoke that pain in another-an EXFP, then step back and give them a few hours to process and rationalize. Respect the need for space to process the pain.

If you push and continue to provoke, you will receive a Tert Te bitchslap, full of venom, as the pain overwhelms the rationalization capabilities and it must be stopped. Te immediately quells the Fi pain.

sculpting

That tert-Te bitch slap doesn't look much different than my Fe bitch slap...

Just sayin.

can you elaborate? When I piss off my one ENFJ, he typically retreats for awhile, then returns-albeit much more quickly than his EXTP sidekicks.

What does an Fe bitch slap look like? What is the objective? :)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Happy Puppy, you are my hero!!!!!! :wubbie: And, yes, I relate 1000%.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

You know what is the worst?

You're doing a Te-bitch-slap, and some fucker laughs at you because you are just too darned 'cute' or 'nice' to be that 'mean,' so they think you look 'cute' at best and 'ridiculous' at worst.

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
can you elaborate? When I piss off my one ENFJ, he typically retreats for awhile, then returns-albeit much more quickly than his EXTP sidekicks.

What does an Fe bitch slap look like? What is the objective? :)

I guess the best way to describe it is people don't think it's cute and pinch your cheeks when Fe is cutting down a swath of destruction in full scorched earth mode. They run for the hills with only the clothes on their backs.

It happens when all attempts at diplomacy, tact, negotiation, and open communication have failed and you feel like your only recourse is an outright declaration of war that's fueled by all the attempts of diplomatic relations that have been rebuffed. It's more or less the feeling of I've been holding back on you and now the spring is sprung. Once it gets to that point, you can (unfortunately) feel justified in whatever action you take because you think you tried to make things right. It begins to feel more like wrath than anger.

I'm not quite as good as doing the breakdown as you are because I haven't pinpointed any particular function. I can imagine tertiary Se backing this up in much the manner you've described in ESFPs, a very strong need for some physical alteration of the environment.