• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] **** creative block!

MBTI Type
INFP
What helps you overcome this horrible occurrence?

I took a stroll and looked at the stars for a while. It helped a little bit.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Getting away, experiencing nature, quiet.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Wandering around in the woods, birdwatching, looking for fossils. Nature seems to help.

And if that fails or I can't get to a ravine for whatever reason: feeding pigeons.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not to be your stereotypical ENFP, but chatting. Most def. Bouncing my mind off of someone else's, even when I'm brain-spent helps build new connections in my mind, thus invigorating creativity!

:yes:

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Don't sleep for a few days.

gromit

likes this
Do something new or talk to someone new or learn about something new.

In my case, creativity happens when my brain makes connections between two things that don't seem related... introducing new thoughts/ideas seems to introduce a greater potential for a brain to do that.

Although, on the flip side, if EVERYTHING is new then it's really hard to process it all, and so I then tend to need to step back and give a chance to let things settle.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Doing something crazy, taking a holiday, going on an adventure, doing something you shouldn't be doing, or at least getting rid off the routine in your life.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Close eyes, listen to music, think of ideas.

Also, doing practical chores can put you into a thinking zone.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
What helps you overcome this horrible occurrence?

I took a stroll and looked at the stars for a while. It helped a little bit.

If you have a slight block, there are any number of things that you can do that will help slightly. A larger block is probably a sign of a larger problem. I'm working through the book: Amazon.com: Fearless Creating: A Step-by-Step Guide To Starting and Completing Your Work of Art (9780874778052): Eric Maisel: Books which covers all kinds of art: writing, music, painting, etc. so it's a good general book. If you're experiencing problems with a specific form, a more specific tome may fit your needs better. Usually a larger block is not about the block, but about ourselves...

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I just read that listening to barok music really helps people to come up with ideas.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Taking a drive (especially in Fall). Watching a good movie. Talking with an ENFP friend. Doing something on the opposite spectrum/smaller degree of the creative thing i'd like to accomplish.

killing spree

Especially in rooms that are all one solid color. The best canvas. :yes:

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are times when I am flooded with ideas and they don't stop coming in, but other times when I make time do do artwork and I have artists block. I want to get my ideas out on paper as soon as possible because it's good to strike while the iron is hot. If I don't, I loose interest in the idea if I wait for too long.

One thing I find is that ideas can't really be forced, they just come when they want to. But some things that can help are drinking coffee, going for walks, and listening to music. Or looking at the work of people I'm inspired by.

I do something that’s unrelated and requires my complete concentration (well as complete as it gets). Sometimes the mind needs to be uprooted from that thinking space entirely.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
There are times when I am flooded with ideas and they don't stop coming in, but other times when I make time do do artwork and I have artists block. I want to get my ideas out on paper as soon as possible because it's good to strike while the iron is hot. If I don't, I loose interest in the idea if I wait for too long.

One thing I find is that ideas can't really be forced, they just come when they want to. But some things that can help are drinking coffee, going for walks, and listening to music. Or looking at the work of people I'm inspired by.

The best art always had a meaning first then form and structure .Every great piece of art was a travel to reach that .
Inspiration is great but i hope you use it when you are making your work . Those momments are rare .... be prepare xd.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I do something that’s unrelated and requires my complete concentration (well as complete as it gets). Sometimes the mind needs to be uprooted from that thinking space entirely.

Weirdly enough, either this, or getting in touch with my feelings. I guess the former results in a physical or kinesthetic creativity, and the latter an abstract expressive creativity.

Dan the INFP man

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Take a really long shower / bath / sit in hot tub. Best ideas come either then, or while driving.

scaredy cat

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have created a mind map of things that struck me as interesting at the moment I discovered them, revisiting it, going deep into the branches, just opens the exhausted mind to new concepts and possibilities