• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] How do you get in tune with yourself?

Vortex

MBTI Type
WOLF
To the OP:

I'll write or read Terry Pratchett. Otherwise I'll meditate or as a variation: go into myself, find the places that need to be smoothed over and visualise every body part from the inside, feeling the colours of each and try to keep mind and body on separate tracks until I have sufficiently anchored myself enough to feel like I'm me and my body is again part of that me. Or I'll go somewhere nice in my head, or I'll stare blankly into space until inspiration strikes.

findthejake

MBTI Type
ENFP
I go for a solo hike or a long bike ride. Usually I try to find water, a solitary lake or creek. It makes it difficult currently living in AZ though, I gotta hike alot further round these parts to find agua!

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Remembering and thinking about my dreams, and sometimes trying to interpret them. Reading classic literature, or the Bible, or the poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins. Having a long, rambling conversation with an old friend. Praying to God. Listening to Switchfoot (my favorite band!). :headphne:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I immerse myself in a combination of classic rockabilly/punk to bring myself back up to "me" levels. This may take hours. I require a great deal of alone time every day.

I read D.H. Lawrence or anything by the Brontes.

I call my ENTJ friend and attempt to make her pee on herself laughing.

I mock my mother's kittens by showing them my opposable thumbs and pointing out their lack of said thumbs.

I write. A lot.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Remembering and thinking about my dreams, and sometimes trying to interpret them. Reading classic literature, or the Bible, or the poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins. Having a long, rambling conversation with an old friend. Praying to God. Listening to Switchfoot (my favorite band!). :headphne:

I love Hopkins. As Kingfishers Catch Fire. Lovely. His play of words. My favorite is The Windhover.

- I love watching art shows: "Voices and Visions" about poets, "Egg the art show" when it was on, "Simon Shauma's The Power of Art", "Art of the Western World" when it was on, and currently: "Art in the 21st Century." There is something about hearing about the creative development, practice, and discipline of other artists that inspires me.

A great show! They always had something new and odd on there!

helen

MBTI Type
INFJ
I love Hopkins. As Kingfishers Catch Fire. Lovely. His play of words. My favorite is The Windhover.

Awesome!! "The Windhover" is my favorite, too. I also love "Spring" and "Binsey Poplars." A lot of my favorite trees were destroyed during Katrina, and "Binsey Poplars" became very special to me then. "As Kingfishers Catch Fire" is also cool. :yes:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love the suspension in his words. He was really good at making them go airborne.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Talked to my daughter about this thread at dinner. We loved the Power of Art by Schama, which we watched together. She thought his voice was strange, but we were mesmerized by the artwork and the stories.

To get in tune with myself, I walk near the ocean, hills or lots of trees. Since I was a preteen, my favorite way of calming down has been walking and figuring things out. Adding nature makes it more relaxing. I also love swimming in pools or the ocean.

Relaxing and reading in my sunny bedroom. Browsing shelves in the library or at a bookstore. Choosing beautiful cards to send to friends. Talking in email or on the phone with people who make me laugh. Chatting with close friends.

My favorite Saturday morning activity is going to the Farmer's Market, tasting the homemade jams, having an excellent cup of coffee and a freshly baked woodfired scone, and chatting with the growers and friends I run into there. This sets me up for the rest of the day, as I plan a nice dinner with the produce I've bought.

Jae Rae

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
I mock my mother's kittens by showing them my opposable thumbs and pointing out their lack of said thumbs.

Just another reminder as to why I love you so much, Pink. :heart:

My favorite Saturday morning activity is going to the Farmer's Market, tasting the homemade jams, having an excellent cup of coffee and a freshly baked woodfired scone, and chatting with the growers and friends I run into there. This sets me up for the rest of the day, as I plan a nice dinner with the produce I've bought.

That sounds SO NICE. I need to find a farmer's market around here.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I play Final Fantasy VIII.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just another reminder as to why I love you so much, Pink. :heart:

Thank you, my lovely guru. :hug:

Jae -- the Farmer's Market here in NC is a great place on the weekends. That and the sprawling rummage sales at the fairgrounds. I used to love hitting those with my dad and sister. Drag up all manner of crazy stuff.

Anyone else like ducking into antique stores? Makes me feel so much calmer when I'm surrounded by old things. I was raised/lived with a grandfather who would be well over 100 if he were still alive, and most of our furniture consisted of inherited antiques. I swear the pulse of time stopped when you stepped through our door. It was perpetually 1900, rolling backward to the Civil War. Whenever I feel agitated, I get among my old things and I feel grounded again. Or I drag another "homeless" old object back with me to add to the menagerie.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Pink,

A dear older friend (INTJ) just moved to Asheville, NC. The Smokies are so beautiful; recently saw Last of the Mohicans which was shot there, and the scenery was sublime. Great for getting in touch with oneself.

I've been a used and antiquarian bookseller for 27+ years. I grew up valuing books, feel at home around them, and love them as both historical artifacts and objects of beauty. My all-time favorite was a book of photographs from c. the Civil War called Six Men of the Revolution, the last six survivors of the War of Independence who were still living 87 years later. Man, talk about a book with historical resonance!

Jae Rae

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
pray while walking in the rain

I used to play music that would wrench my emotions all over the map, drink in every tone and mood till my head overloaded...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pink,

A dear older friend (INTJ) just moved to Asheville, NC. The Smokies are so beautiful; recently saw Last of the Mohicans which was shot there, and the scenery was sublime. Great for getting in touch with oneself.

I've been a used and antiquarian bookseller for 27+ years. I grew up valuing books, feel at home around them, and love them as both historical artifacts and objects of beauty. My all-time favorite was a book of photographs from c. the Civil War called Six Men of the Revolution, the last six survivors of the War of Independence who were still living 87 years later. Man, talk about a book with historical resonance!

Jae Rae

I've turned about 30 shades of envy green just reading this.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Ouch, I got neg repped for this comment and I was being completely honest. :cry:

I really do go out and talk to trees when I'm trying to get in tune with myself. I've mentioned that before on this forum.

+1 to you...

Talking to trees is a good start. I listen to them more, along with the rest of nature. Many of them have been around for a hundred or more years longer than I have. Even trees that aren't there anymore have profound statements to make.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Conversations with good friends. Yoga. Meditation. Music (some, not all). Sweeping. Washing dishes. Lately, anxiety and confrontation.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
+1 to you...

Talking to trees is a good start. I listen to them more, along with the rest of nature. Many of them have been around for a hundred or more years longer than I have. Even trees that aren't there anymore have profound statements to make.

That's a good one, Javs. When I would feel completely unmoored by anxiety or pain, I'd go outside and put my hands flat on the ground, wait until I felt material again. Or I'd go sit in my truck, Wyatt -- a safe place that smelled like my sister's welding leathers, faint hints of grease, horses and heat. Wyatt was a reminder of time when I was stronger and felt more defensible. Trees are good for grounding purposes too. They're alive and calming.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
I play Final Fantasy VIII.

I play Final Fantasy VI

..or cosplay from VIII, VI or IV. :3

And oh yeah, my parents are moving, so I had to go pick up some stuff of mine that was in the attic. This included my old rocking horse; a beautiful black wooden horse which I believe my dad made. It's big enough that I can still ride it. As ridiculous as I feel and it probably looks, I've found using it for a couple minutes is very relaxing. :blush:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I play Final Fantasy VI

..or cosplay from VIII, VI or IV. :3

And oh yeah, my parents are moving, so I had to go pick up some stuff of mine that was in the attic. This included my old rocking horse; a beautiful black wooden horse which I believe my dad made. It's big enough that I can still ride it. As ridiculous as I feel and it probably looks, I've found using it for a couple minutes is very relaxing. :blush:

Ah, what a GREAT memory to have. Your dad made it for you too. :wubbie: I love that. My granddad bought me and Sis a rocking horse when we were little and I still love to look at it because it reminds me of him.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Tough for me to answer!! *Complete* Re-centering usually involves turning the computer off for 24-48 hours or more, and not being near the thing. I'm serious. :) As much as I love participating in forums and gaining insights from them, they also completely DE-center me. :)

So totally recentering for me involves being aware of myself and my REAL surroundings, in the present moment. Not fake internet world. (No offense to anyone!) Then I can really focus in on 'zen' stuff and really dig into my life and where I'm at and where I'd rather be. No outside distractions!

And nature definitely does it for me. But I've posted enough about that elsewhere. :)

Journaling can often clarify things for me too.

And sometimes certain people/conversations really re-center me. Sometimes the opposite of reflection can be the antidote for me -- just BEING with people and doing activities that I enjoy, and interacting/conversing with people who stimulate me and push me in different directions or help me to see new things.