• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Are INFJs naturally fascinated with ENTPs?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Use your Ni to figure that out :).

Unless of course, you haven't read a lot of these topics.

You have to take into consideration that this is posted in the NF Idyllic and directed towards INFJs. So mainly INFJs will be expressing how the ENTP affects them and not vice versa. I imagine if this were posted in the NT Rationale and directed towards ENTPs, the sentiments would be reversed.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a fan of older ENTPs. Some of the younger ones I've encountered only argue for the sake of seeing what will happen when they push certain buttons or because they enjoy debate (but without any larger or more productive goal in mind). It's not that it's wrong, but I can see where that could get old fast in a relationship. It also seems to me that younger ENTPs would more likely have difficulties committing or staying settled on one person in the long term.

:whistling:

You have to take into consideration that this is posted in the NF Idyllic and directed towards INFJs. So mainly INFJs will be expressing how the ENTP affects them and not vice versa. I imagine if this were posted in the NT Rationale and directed towards ENTPs, the sentiments would be reversed.

Actually I think the feeling is mutual. Most of us seem pretty fascinated by INFJs.

I suspect it has to do with fascination with the other N function in a dominant role + the unique ease of communication between Ne and Ni viewpoints that sharing the same judging function preferences (Fe and Ti) facilitates.

This Ni/Ne dynamic doesn't seem to work quite the same way between INFJ/ENFP or INTJ/ENTP because the disconnect in judging functions often leaves big communication gaps.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
You know I love you, Sim! Actually, strangely enough, once I found out that you had some understandable intention behind what you were doing, it didn't bother me. I just wouldn't want to date someone who did that with my friends because it would make it hard for them to ever spend time with us as a couple.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know I love you, Sim! Actually, strangely enough, once I found out that you had some understandable intention behind what you were doing, it didn't bother me. I just wouldn't want to date someone who did that with my friends because it would make it hard for them to ever spend time with us as a couple.

Actually (and I don't expect most people to believe this given my forum behavior), I'm pretty Fe-conscious in real life. I wasn't always, but I am now. If I were your boyfriend I wouldn't debate all your friends to death, don't worry. :headphne:

My main motivation for arguing all the time is curiosity. I want to know how people tick, what makes them think and feel the way they do, and a lot of people have to be pissed at you before they feel justified in sharing their honest opinions.

Of course, I can't really get away with that in real life because there are serious consequences for routinely offending people just to collect data on their responses. Lots of fun on the internet though.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My beef with ENTPs is that they're very quick to approach an INFJ (not necessarily because of type) but after a while, they INFJ finds out that the ENTP is invested in a billion other areas, making the INFJ feel like yesterday's newspaper. Discarded.

This is a constant theme with you. I think ENTP's and INFJ's are both rather skittish when it comes right down to it. The thing with ENTP's is you don't see it when they first meet you. That's my take. Also, I forget most everything if it's not right in front of me. My girlfriend is the only exception I can think of. I am also bad at keeping in touch, which is why I like Facebook. Easier to just broadcast.

I think what it comes down to is that the ENTPs know how to play to the INFJs but ultimately don't need INFJs because they get along with so many types. INFJs don't have that luxury so we're kind of like the girlfriend that will always go back to the abusive boyfriend, knowing they're just going to get hurt.

I don't know about that. I feel like my INXJ friends and my girlfriend understand me almost better than anyone else. So, in that sense, I do need them. I am rather plagued by isolation. Even when I'm with people.

I like ENTPs. I think this ENTP/INFJ fascination is way overdone though. Don't get me wrong, my boyfriend is an NTP, and he is really great, but honestly, I prefer NFJs or NTJs.

Yes, but you're actually ISFJ.

Oh yeah, I just re-read what I wrote - I meant in a relationship ENTPs coul make me feel neglected, not that I'm expecting the ENTPs on this site to be a problem for me! I'm not sure that I know any ENTPs in real life.

Perhaps the reason you don't hear about INFJs going after ENTPs is that they are naturally more likely to wait for someone to approach them and they also tend to do more solitary activities. The ENTP is more likely to vocalize their enthusiasm to a wider audience as well. I think ENTPs like us because we slow them down and we make them see some familiar subjects/situations with similarities, but give new perspectives that they haven't encountered. I like them because they tend to be enthusiastic, entrepreneurial, entertaining, make me try new things and are a source of great discussion (and they appreciate me). They also tend to naturally be approachers without seeming too clingy etc.

Yes, I like my INXJ friends and loved ones because they do slow me down. Sometimes I think I am too much for them in large doses, though. I think I have a wearying effect on my closest. Especially if they take me seriously.

ENTP's are usually one of the only personality types i can stand when everyone else has burnt me out. their nature is comfortable to me by default, not really by conscious decision.

I think both ENTP and INFJ types like to enjoy things in a comfortable way.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Actually (and I don't expect most people to believe this given my forum behavior), I'm pretty Fe-conscious in real life. I wasn't always, but I am now. If I were your boyfriend I wouldn't debate all your friends to death, don't worry. :headphne:

My main motivation for arguing all the time is curiosity. I want to know how people tick, what makes them think and feel the way they do, and a lot of people have to be pissed at you before they feel justified in sharing their honest opinions.

Of course, I can't really get away with that in real life because there are serious consequences for routinely offending people just to collect data on their responses.
Lots of fun on the internet though.

I believe that. Perhaps that's even some of what I find interesting about ENTPs. They are just as fascinated as me about what makes people tick. They just go about gathering information differently than I would. It's sometimes entertaining to watch.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe that. Perhaps that's even some of what I find interesting about ENTPs. They are just as fascinated as me about what makes people tick. They just go about gathering information differently than I would. It's sometimes entertaining to watch.

Hah, yeah. I like how Ni-ers will subtly probe for information while trying to give away as little of their own information as possible. It's so different from my approach that I can't help but find it fascinating. I like how they subtly mock people with ambiguous responses that could be interpreted either way, laughing on the inside because the subject doesn't know he's being toyed with.

It's clever. I think Ne prefers to just lay all the cards out on the table and deal with whatever happens when it happens, though. If we're mocking you, we want you (and any surrounding audience) to be well aware that you're being mocked.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hah, yeah. I like how Ni-ers will subtly probe for information while trying to give away as little of their own information as possible.

:blush: Guilty as charged!!! :smile:

Yeah, I admit I am naturally fascinated with ENTP's. I find I can connect almost seamlessly, and effortlessly. Very different in some ways (communication, activity level, etc), uncannily alike in many ways.

I also admit although I like them a lot, I'm also slightly jaded like Wyst; I would love to share a deep and lasting relationship with them, but I guess of the two I've met, I just don't have that 'something' that keeps them there, to the extent that I might want.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Actually I admire ENTP bluntness. I just can't bear to deal with the consequences of it myself.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I also admit although I like them a lot, I'm also slightly jaded like Wyst; I would love to share a deep and lasting relationship with them, but I guess of the two I've met, I just don't have that 'something' that keeps them there, to the extent that I might want.

Goonies never say die.

lane777

nevermore
I love to look, but I don't touch; as Fidelia said, their distractability makes us feel neglected - and this is my one and only scruple with ENTP's. There is nothing more offensive to me than fickleness.

I don't know about that. I feel like my INXJ friends and my girlfriend understand me almost better than anyone else. So, in that sense, I do need them. I am rather plagued by isolation. Even when I'm with people.

I do believe that among the extroverts, ENTP's are probably the most subject to isolation, seeing as you're all insane :wubbie:, but I wouldn't go so far as to compare an ENTP's isolation to that of an INFJ's. ENTP's have a natural way with people (easily extending warmth and friendliness, making good first impression etc.). ENTP's (generally speaking), are more apt to engage in small talk with strangers, and are not nearly as selective, when making new friends. I think Wyst makes a valid piont *shrug*

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I love to look, but I don't touch; as Fidelia said, their distractability makes us feel neglected - and this is my one and only scruple with ENTP's. There is nothing more offensive to me than fickleness.

Fear can be mistaken as fickleness.

I do believe that among the extroverts, ENTP's are probably the most subject to isolation, seeing as you're all insane :wubbie:, but I wouldn't go so far as to compare an ENTP's isolation to that of an INFJ's. ENTP's have a natural way with people (easily extending warmth and friendliness, making good first impression etc.). ENTP's (generally speaking), are more apt to engage in small talk with strangers, and are not nearly as selective, when making new friends. I think Wyst makes a valid piont *shrug*

What could possibly feel more alone than being surrounded with people yet close to no one?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yes, I do have trouble dealing with inconsistency in people. Easy to take it personally, even if at the same time I know I probably shouldn't.

Synarch, re. goonies. :)

Well, in the end, wasn't meant to be, wouldn't have been the ideal individuals for me anyway, so all worked out for the best. Moving onward!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Synarch, re. goonies. :)

Well, in the end, wasn't meant to be, wouldn't have been the ideal individuals for me anyway, so all worked out for the best. Moving onward!

That's the spirit. You have to keep swinging for the fences.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
One thing that you've helped me better understand is that ENTPs are actually a good deal more affected by what happens to them than one may initially believe based on what they see on the surface. I think that's actually one of the factors that makes them interesting to me. I've considered the fact though that an unhealthy ENTP could really do a number on me because of the flashes of sincerity and longing for closeness, mixed with what looks like distance and fickleness. That push/pull dynamic can be rather compelling.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
One thing that you've helped me better understand is that ENTPs are actually a good deal more affected by what happens to them than one may initially believe based on what they see on the surface. I think that's actually one of the factors that makes them interesting to me. I've considered the fact though that an unhealthy ENTP could really do a number on me because of the flashes of sincerity and longing for closeness, mixed with what looks like distance and fickleness. That push/pull dynamic can be rather compelling.

It's the tantalizing trap of codependency. Was your father distant?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think it has more to do with me liking people that are not easy to figure out. Often people who aren't easy to figure out aren't emotionally healthy which makes them behave in contradictory ways. It took me awhile to learn to recognize the difference between truly confident men, and men who just hide their insecurities in strong-appearing ways.

My dad was quite warm and very approving and supportive. He is an ISTJ though whose upbringing and birth order made it so that no one sees much of his inner world. I think that's a loss for everyone involved. My mum's an ENFJ.