• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Physical appearance's influence on typological preferences

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Hey there, :smile: :nerd:

I've been wondering about this since forever. It might be the stupidest idea, but do you think that one's physical appearance has an influence on one's typological preference?

Let me give an example:
Would a physically attractive young girl care more about what is outward and perceptible by the senses and tend to reach out for the S? And since her beauty draws people to her easily, she wouldn't care as much about the complex labyrinths of human interactions? She would embrace the playful SP character and care about fun more than anything?

I know it sounds like a dumb generalisation and it is, but would it have some influence on us? I feel I have observed real life manifestations of this.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
I wouldn't pretend that it has no impact. A big chunk of what makes us who we are are our experiences. I certainly didn't inherit my type from my parents, so it had to come from somewhere or something. That said, I don't think physical appearance is the deciding factor either. I've had my ugly duckling and swan stages, and other than a little more extroversion during some of my childhood years, appearance hasn't made much difference to my personality.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You are assuming personality shows up after looks.

P

Phantonym

It might. But it also might not. I guess it depends on the individual and what they consider important. I mean that, following your example about the attractive girl, it might be easier to just reach out for the S and play an SP if that's what she believes is important to her. And maybe some people who are in that kind of situation succumb to taking the easy way and follow a pattern that seems to bring them happiness because they place importance on finding it through easy solutions.

I can also see that happening with introversion/extraversion. Self-esteem being influenced by physical appearance, either negatively or positively. I don't think that it would really change someone's typological preference but it could cause frustration or boost up their self-esteem that influences the behaviour in such a way that they would appear introverted/extraverted when they're not. Learned behaviour.

However, wouldn't that be suppressing your "true" self? It might work for a while (for some, a lifetime) but some day the realization hits that you've been faking it all along and it hasn't brought you satisfaction.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Everyone knows the ENFP's are the best looking, is that the point of this thread?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
After some thought, what you might be noticing in SP women is that they may pay more attention to their appearance in terms of fashion, beauty treatments, trends with hair and make-up, etc. It's not that any particular type is inherently better looking, it's that some types are supposedly more well-groomed, and SPs are stereotypically known for their attention to looks because of Se.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
After some thought, what you might be noticing in SP women is that they may pay more attention to their appearance in terms of fashion, beauty treatments, trends with hair and make-up, etc. It's not that any particular type is inherently better looking, it's that some types are supposedly more well-groomed, and SPs are stereotypically known for their attention to looks because of Se.

I am aware that good looks are a choice to a certain level. You can choose to look "sexy" and focus on appearance or choose to look plain like me.
Also, there are plenty of definitions to "beauty."

I remember reading an interview where a film director talked about casting two ugly young men for a film. He wanted ugly guys because that was the point, but he found that the ugliest ones felt unsure and uncomfortable, while the attractive ones who showed up for the audition had more assurance and were better actors. He said how difficult it was for him to find ugly actors with enough confidence to play the part.

I agree with the E / I effect.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
errrrr, I think I was born an ENFP, true muthafuckin' story.

Sure there were some environmental factors, but I shit you not, by age three, if some MBTI expert were to see me interacting with my peers, and talk to my teachers, they would probably see me as an ENFP, and by primary school, my ENFP-ness was in full effect.

Um, regarding looks, hmm, I don't know what to say, we are more or less born with our physical appearance, and yes, people do treat you differently depending on how you look, which is a sad fact about human nature.

I don't even recall looking much in the mirror until I hit about age 12.

I was basically an androgynous tomboy until I was 12, (I always had my secret boy crushes, though :blushing:)

And, even post-12, I was still pretty tom-boyish, i don't know if this is an ENFP-chick thing, but I've heard that this happens with a lot with us.

So, there.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Also, I think a physically attractive young girl who actually *cares* about her looks is indicative of her personality, not the other way around.

There are plenty of good looking and bad looking people who prioritize physical appearance low on their what-matters-in-life list.

:yes:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Does this apply to ISTPs, too?!!?!

Because the ISTP I know is the least vain person I know, which I love!!!

:wub:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does this apply to ISTPs, too?!!?!

Because the ISTP I know is the least vain person I know, which I love!!!

:wub:

Hmm...I don't know. I was just pointing out the stereotype of people with dom/aux Se caring more about fashion and looking a certain way.

My eSFP ex could spend an hour in the shower, used to buy all of his clothes at Hot Topic or on sites where they sell cool rock tee shirts, had a very certain "look," was VERY vain ... but humbled at the same time by having a severe cystic acne problem in his teens.

He also said to me offhandedly once that if I wasn't the type of girl who painted my toe nails he wouldn't date me and I was like :shock:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
In contrast to your experience with this eSFP, my ISTP LOOOOOOVED me, in all sense of the word, au naturel.

:yes:

With not a lick of makeup on, in fact, he thought I would look like a clown with it on. :p

He was all about natural beauty, natural scent, natural everything!

He loved my breath, always, my BO, always, he actually preferred it when I didn't wear deodorant, because he found my sweat smell to be sexy.

And, he wasn't much down for downstairs grooming, either, if you catch my drift. ;)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I'm definitely not looking to be with someone quite like him ever again.
Hahahaha, we all make mistakes girl!

:hug:

I've been with two guys who were vain, or a lot more vain than I'd like them to be, and they would like me to be some pretty arm candy, YUCK!

They were both ITJs, for whatever that's worth.

:)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think it might effect the expression of their type but not change the type itself.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
If it has, it's the other way around.