• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Physical appearance's influence on typological preferences

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's easy to tell what someone is just by looking at them. Their expressions (the default one is important), their mannerisms etc. But everyone would probably think I'm crazy. I can spot ENFPs from a mile off! The women all look similar to me.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think it's easy to tell what someone is just by looking at them. Their expressions (the default one is important), their mannerisms etc. But everyone would probably think I'm crazy. I can spot ENFPs from a mile off! The women all look similar to me.

Yeah, I also think so, lol

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I don't even recall looking much in the mirror until I hit about age 12.
...And, even post-12, I was still pretty tom-boyish, i don't know if this is an ENFP-chick thing, but I've heard that this happens with a lot with us.

So, there.

:)
Srsley!! :) I don't recall lookin into the mirror until 6th grade or soemthin.. It was all play play play.. C'est le vie. Shit- those days were FUN!!

I used to be a tomboyish girl myself. My aunt bought baggy jeans and cut my hair short when I was.. 9? I had lotsa guy friends and gal friends, but the boys probably felt like I blended in with them, specially with those jeans?

I didn't care about my appearance until middle school when I was a major rebel.

I've seen some really pretty introverts, and I used to have this theory that introverted women didn't have to try as hard, so they were a bit more introverted.. that was long ago. Then there are extroverted women who get lots of attention, relish on it, and thrive on that energy..

I don't think attractiveness quite corellates with temperament. I've seen some really handsome men who are introverted as well as charming guys who are extroverted.. Really depends. ;)

revolve

what do we "look" like? just wondering

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

That's funny, because someone told me from looking at my pictures here that I "look like an ESFP."

Maybe it's because I look like my mom...she's an ESFP. :dry:

Of course, these people haven't seen me leave the house on a bad day looking like cat hoarding bag lady, either. :newwink:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Srsley!! :) I don't recall lookin into the mirror until 6th grade or soemthin.. It was all play play play.. C'est le vie. Shit- those days were FUN!!

I used to be a tomboyish girl myself. My aunt bought baggy jeans and cut my hair short when I was.. 9? I had lotsa guy friends and gal friends, but the boys probably felt like I blended in with them, specially with those jeans?

I didn't care about my appearance until middle school when I was a major rebel.

I've seen some really pretty introverts, and I used to have this theory that introverted women didn't have to try as hard, so they were a bit more introverted.. that was long ago. Then there are extroverted women who get lots of attention, relish on it, and thrive on that energy..

I don't think attractiveness quite corellates with temperament. I've seen some really handsome men who are introverted as well as charming guys who are extroverted.. Really depends. ;)

Me too. I had really short hair in my late childhood, and used to play outside all of the time and ride bikes. It was only around the age of twelve when I became seriously interested in my own appearance. Of course, before that I was always stuffed into ruffly church dresses, entered into a couple of beauty pageants, and told that I was pretty - that's why I don't think a little girl being told she's pretty makes an SP. I also took dance classes for years and years. Still didn't make me an SP.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If your environment can affect personality, I would think physical appearance can have an impact on certain personality traits, but not necessarily type. You are treated far differently as a beautiful girl than you are as an ugly fat one. Something like this may have more to do with confidence, self-esteem, and actualization than specific functional expressions.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Grrrrr, I wish I had a scanner, then I could upload the beautiful pictures of me with a bowl cut.

:wub:

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Could have some impact, I suppose, but it seems doubtful. The more I look around, the more I think that we're born with our type - development just affects the maturity/immaturity of our certain functions, and maybe the order to some extent. An extremely insecure ENFP may end up shy because of whatever, but that doesn't make them any less of a theoretical ENFP.

But I do think our type affects how we make ourselves look! I read somewhere that when a Sexual 3w2 is unhealthy, they may retreat and ugly-fy themselves to sort of weed out who actually likes them for them, or who likes them for how to present themselves. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw myself in that one. :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I read somewhere that when a Sexual 3w2 is unhealthy, they may retreat and ugly-fy themselves to sort of weed out who actually likes them for them, or who likes them for how to present themselves. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw myself in that one. :yes:

This is quite interesting...does it have to do with SX first or the 3 influence? Because I'm a Sexual 4w3 and if I go into a retreat mode (because of depression or something like that) I will strip down and "uglify" myself to get in touch with my "true self" (I guess that's the 4 right there) so that I'm not living to impress others...and so it protects me from having to connect with others, as well.

I've also had jobs where my appearance was an important aspect of the job, and the act of stripping myself down to being more "ugly" or plain is a way of placing extreme value on my inner mental/emotional self for balance.

It's usually a sign of depression, in my case, though.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Hey there, :smile: :nerd:

I've been wondering about this since forever. It might be the stupidest idea, but do you think that one's physical appearance has an influence on one's typological preference?

Let me give an example:
Would a physically attractive young girl care more about what is outward and perceptible by the senses and tend to reach out for the S? And since her beauty draws people to her easily, she wouldn't care as much about the complex labyrinths of human interactions? She would embrace the playful SP character and care about fun more than anything?

I know it sounds like a dumb generalisation and it is, but would it have some influence on us? I feel I have observed real life manifestations of this.

Interesting question. I think that in the absence of trauma/abuse or severe disfigurement, your cognitive preference will not change with environmental circumstance (I'm assuming that preference is something you're born with). For your example, let's say the physically attractive young girl was a stereotypical, INTP. That would make her less likely to notice how hot she is, less likely to value it, and less likely to notice or care how people react to it. One's physical appearance is just not influential enough to overcome one's innate preference.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's funny, because someone told me from looking at my pictures here that I "look like an ESFP."

Maybe it's because I look like my mom...she's an ESFP. :dry:

Of course, these people haven't seen me leave the house on a bad day looking like cat hoarding bag lady, either. :newwink:

haha...i occasionally look like a homeless person too i think...actually i think my friend just told me that the other day...maybe he was kidding...:blush:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
haha...i occasionally look like a homeless person too i think...actually i think my friend just told me that the other day...maybe he was kidding...:blush:

I just want to hug all of my fellow bag lady ENFPs! :yes:;)

:wubbie: :hug::smile:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha...it's just a different way of thinking or something...like...put on a cute dress...then a sweater cuz it's cold...oh but it's really cold...i'll also put jeans and fuzzy boots on...and a scarf...and a hat and a long coat haha :smile:

hugs back :hug: i think it's funny. :)