• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] infj's in law?

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
good portents and maledictions welcome. what area of specialization do you recommend? share your experiences or thoughts.

fireandwater

MBTI Type
enfp
Well, I'm an enfp, but I did go to lawschool. I personally didn't like it and ended up not practicing law. The key to it is almost everybody there is a T and T is the skill you'll be honing and using in law. So... how good is your T and how much do you like using it? If you're pretty balanced F/T you might like it. I recommend, even so, that you seriously consider who or what you'd be willing to argue FOR. You might want to look into something like environmental law, if that's a cause you believe in. This could make it all worthwhile for an INFJ. Usually the jobs listed for INFJ are things like counselors, ministers, writers, etc...

Immaculate Cloud

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am an INFJ who has toyed with the idea of suing someone and even asked for legal advice and read up on my rights as defined by the Constitution of my country. I remember getting frustrated at the loopholes, and the many interpretations that can be given to this and that paragraph, especially the way my intended 'victim' might be able to weasel out and escape some just retribution, etc. It gave me greater appreciation for the level-headed and emotional distancing of the INTJ who helped me and who simply basks in all the complexities of Law. So yea, I would agree with another poster that you would need a well balanced T.

I remember asking him a question about how I felt this and that particular law was outdated or not adequate or moving too slowly for our times and his reply was, well, maybe you should go into jurisprudence.... If the theory that Jesus Christ was INFJ holds any truth at all, the Gospel accounts will tell you that he got into verbal arguments with the Pharisees on points of Law. The latter were nitpicking about this and that point of law, and he goes back to the beginning - the point at which the Law or a particular law was written and for WHAT purpose? To make life difficult for people or to empower and liberate? Perhaps the legal profession needs more people who will think like that. Well, I find the thought of some INFJ being some fearless and honest judge very appealing.

Just my two cents.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was never interested in studying the law, but then I did have a peek into the area when I worked as a transcription assistant for a few months. I got to go into court a few times but mainly worked on cleaning up and checking references etc on audio transcripts. I was actually quite fascinated and would have carried on with the job when they offered to extend my contract, except I had a chance to go back and work in publishing which is really where my heart is. I could see myself doing something like transcription work again in the future, though.

One thing I got to recognize pretty quickly was that different judges had different styles and there were a couple who, while highly intelligent and legally rigorous, blew me away with their compassion. These were High Court judges (and this is in England, so they had extremely posh accents and a somewhat nineteenth-century delivery) but there was one guy who would occasionally get choked up over things like sad custody cases. That amazed me.

I doubt I could be a lawyer, but it does seem to me that there's room for the human element in legal practice. Immaculate Cloud has a point about maybe the legal profession needing more INFJs...

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
Law is a tough one. I wouldn't recommend it, even for an NT.

I had an INTP middle school teacher who had gone to a top law school, and worked for a top firm. He quit that job to teach middle school.

The thing about law is that it is all about the details. It's not exactly hard for a bright person, and it's not particularly intellectually stimulating. And when I say details, I really mean the tedious, line-by-line, semi-colon-by-semi-colon, nitty gritty details.

Sensors and particulary STJ's are best suited for that.

Now depending on the professor, certain subjects can be intellectually stimulating and give you room to stretch your Ne such as torts. But that really depends on your torts professor. The other subjects are generally about the tedious details though.