• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, introverts and humor

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know if it's an INFP thing, an introverted thing, or a crappy sense of humor thing. My sense of humor usually involves wordplay, irony or self-deprecation, usually playfully sarcastic, at times morbid. But this often happens: When someone jokes with me (not a "priest walks into a bar" joke, but mild teasing) they usually end up hugging me, saying, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D" It's not like I don't get the joke or think it's funny, I just don't always :cheese: or :rofl1: What am I, retarded, people?

So, INFPs, and anyone, really:
How's your sense of humor?
Is it sarcastic, dry, nonsense, gross, etc?
Do you give people the impression that you don't understand their sense of humor?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I find that Ne based humor either goes off AWESOME or HORRIBLE. I often see something someone said, see how to take it off on some unexpected/unconventional angle [Ne at work], and then I exaggerate it for effect.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find that Ne based humor either goes off AWESOME or HORRIBLE. I often see something someone said, see how to take it off on some unexpected/unconventional angle [Ne at work], and then I exaggerate it for effect.

this > all other humor. especially when bouncing it around for a while with someone else with Ne, we do this with my infp friend all the time and laugh our asses off

but imo this never fails if you take it far enough, if it starts to look horrible just take it a step further and atleast you get a nice wtf laughs(or get rid of people that doesent appreciate your humor)

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
this > all other humor. especially when bouncing it around for a while with someone else with Ne, we do this with my infp friend all the time and laugh our asses off

but imo this never fails if you take it far enough, if it starts to look horrible just take it a step further and atleast you get a nice wtf laughs(or get rid of people that doesent appreciate your humor)

^ This a million times.
I've got one or two heavy intuitive buddies and we'll have each other in stitches and maybe a small group of other people who laughed with us at first, then recoiled in horror, and are now raising their eyebrows at each other with concern and backing away slowly.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I guess I practice dry/sarcastic/etc but when it comes down to it mine is just dumb half of the time. I rely on people who follow pointless tangents and half-clever wordplay well and aren't offended by dark humor. If they don't like this kind of humor I'm doomed to be viewed as unfunny and boring. Oh well.

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
^ This a million times.
I've got one or two heavy intuitive buddies and we'll have each other in stitches and maybe a small group of other people who laughed with us at first, then recoiled in horror, and are now raising their eyebrows at each other with concern and backing away slowly.
... And when you see them looking at you with the "WTF" look on their faces it only makes the whole situation funnier, haha:devil:

A friend of mine said she finds it endearing that I laugh about random things that aren`t even funny. I wouldn`t be laughing if it weren`t funny. Maybe it`s because I find weird connections or associations to things that make it so entertaining.

Although, I think when I`m spacing out, staring out the car window and laughing by myself it probably looks kinda creepy:D

I like my sense of humour, I can`t help it if people don`t always get it.

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, indeed.
It doesn't "help" the situation that myself and my friends can be very abrasive and when it comes to humor NOTHING is sacred. I think I'm especially bad about that last part, I can frequently have one of my good joking friends covering her mouth trying to stifle laughter at a horribly raw or insensitive joke.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't think I can put my sense of humor into words, but it is incredibly awesome. It's mostly just commenting about stuff, and bouncing stuff off other people, i really can't explain it. I can be a bit morbid sometimes, but really i can't explain it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Hmmm, the INFPs I know have a good sense of humor, but it's when they're at their most detached, that they really get going with wordplay, self-deprecation, irony.... But they also get easily offended sometimes. And when their emotions start going, they lose that dry humor.

Maybe that's why people are always like "Oh I'm just kidding!" to you, because they think you are hurt or put off by their remarks.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sense of humor usually involves wordplay, irony or self-deprecation, usually playfully sarcastic, at times morbid.

I can be all of these. I can be silly or sardonic. I enjoy absurdities a lot, especially subtle ones, and I will say something ridiculous or ironic and usually use a tone to make it clear I'm joking, but sometimes people don't get it :doh:. I probably laugh at a lot of things people don't see humor in for the same reason. I have to be careful with that one, and it's often why I don't bother much with humor online.... I wouldn't call myself a "funny" person, but I do have a sense of humor, and it's not hard to make me laugh, even if you do so unintentionally.

I really dislike vulgar, bathroom humor and humor that is just plain mean. Teasing is fine, and I have a high tolerance for it as long as people don't hit a major soft spot. I don't think that makes me much different from anyone else, or at least other Feeling types.

When amongst friends, the guys will make jokes at everyone's expense, including the women, and an ESFP girl & ENFP girl will both get genuinely upset at times. I never do - I know they are kidding, and it's honestly not anything offensive at all. I'm sensitive, but not that sensitive.

I'm not good at banter in groups though, or with strangers (too overwhelming). I'm not sure if people take a deer-in-the-headlights look to mean I have no sense of humor. It just means my mind went blank....

Occasionally, I have a "I am not amused" reaction & ignore a joke, but that doesn't mean I am offended either. That just means I think it's not very clever or funny, or it's passed the teasing line & is just outright rude/stupid.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I can be all of these. I can be silly or sardonic. I enjoy absurdities a lot, especially subtle ones, and I will say something ridiculous or ironic and usually use a tone to make it clear I'm joking, but sometimes people don't get it :doh:. I probably laugh at a lot of things people don't see humor in for the same reason.

Eggzactly.

And it's their problem. They just don't have a sense of humor. :D

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Self-deprecation is probably my main one. I also stick to sarcasm/dry/slightly morbid/observational humor. Sometimes I move into complete silliness.

Many people think I'm serious when I'm joking, and joking when I'm serious. That can be unfortunate.

Really though, I don't think I'm that funny myself. I'm a humor leech: like I said, the observational humor, plus bouncing things off other people. Actually, most of the time when I make people laugh, it's unintentional. :blush:

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know if it's an INFP thing, an introverted thing, or a crappy sense of humor thing. My sense of humor usually involves wordplay, irony or self-deprecation, usually playfully sarcastic, at times morbid. But this often happens: When someone jokes with me (not a "priest walks into a bar" joke, but mild teasing) they usually end up hugging me, saying, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D" It's not like I don't get the joke or think it's funny, I just don't always :cheese: or :rofl1: What am I, retarded, people?
That's basically mine, too. Some people don't understand it when I seem to pull it out of nowhere XD;

The best way to describe my sense of humor is to compare it to how JD's (from Scrubs) mind works when he thinks of obscure things. It's almost exactly like that:jew:

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
JD's is certaintly NFP but not sure about I/E

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i have a very open sense of humor, one thing i dont really find funny is people trying to be funny for the sake of being funny. [stand up comedians]

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
So, the only way to be funny is to to do it by accident? Telling a joke or making a comment with the intention of producing laughs is not funny?

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Occasionally, I have a "I am not amused" reaction & ignore a joke, but that doesn't mean I am offended either. That just means I think it's not very clever or funny, or it's passed the teasing line & is just outright rude/stupid.

THANK YOU!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I laugh at pain; raw, stupid inspired, unintentioned pain.