• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, introverts and humor

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
So, the only way to be funny is to to do it by accident? Telling a joke or making a comment with the intention of producing laughs is not funny?

yes and no.
im much more likely to laugh when i hear my philosophy teacher talk about Kant [gets me every time] than if i were to sit down and watch Dane Cook.

for me its like yawning, if someone says 'yawn' you will probably yawn. but its so much more pleasing and less awkward when you yawn naturally and at your own free will..
to tie this back into the real topic here- someone saying 'watch how funny dane cook is' its like comedy is being forced on you and its alot less natural when all things funny are condensed into a 3 minute video.
but when my teacher says "Kant" out of nowhere in philosophy class its just hilarious because he has no idea that hes almost using a derogatory term.

ya hear, son?

MBTI Type
INFP
to tie this back into the real topic here- someone saying 'watch how funny dane cook is' its like comedy is being forced on you and its alot less natural when all things funny are condensed into a 3 minute video.

Ever notice 9 times out of 10 when someone says "watch this funny YouTube video lol you HAVE to see this video hahahaha here watch it" it's a total god-damned waste of time?

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
My problem with humour is stopping myself from trying to be funny once I get on a bit of a roll. Sometimes I have to literally walk away and get a hold of myself. I mean literally walk away and figuratively get a hold of myself. Don't want to confuse you there.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My "problem" is that I see alot of jokes coming. I don't necessarily see the punchline, but I see where misdirection is being planted and can see where the joke is going. It kills the surprise, and without surprise, there is no laughter. It's not hard to make me laugh, but it's not super easy, either.

As far as my humor, I like all forms of it except for cruel, hateful humor. My personal humor runs on the silly side, but I do try to mix it up a bit. Oh, and I rarely laugh at my own jokes.

My problem with humour is stopping myself from trying to be funny once I get on a bit of a roll. Sometimes I have to literally walk away and get a hold of myself. I mean literally walk away and figuratively get a hold of myself. Don't want to confuse you there.

Why would you want to stop yourself from being funny once you get on a roll? Embrace the roll!!! I mean that figuratively. Unless it's a roll of bread and cinnamon, then you should also eat it.

None of that is actually funny, but I did at least reference your post.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
I laugh at pain; raw, stupid inspired, unintentioned pain.

this. the posting, not the pain.

i like humor that exposes fails or secrets, shadows (including secret heroic spiritual strengths) of the human nature and i believe there are no content-limits except the principles of humor, but i need to have trust in the character of the person who makes such jokes or else its not clear whether i am joining deep collective self-irony or collective-projection. i will laugh about all dirty jokes but about no jokes from dirty people.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Why would you want to stop yourself from being funny once you get on a roll?

Well, I did qualify my roll as being "a bit of a roll" ie not comedic gold. The problem I have is that it starts off as a bit of a roll and then turns into more of a nosedive, or a limp sprawl. So I prefer to err on the side of underplaying my hand rather than overplaying it in the humour stakes. Ideally. In a world where I am not me. :rolli:

Personally the kind of humour which makes me lol the most is INTP humour. My own humour is probably more silly than dry. But I'm ok with that.

teacups&cupcakes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
abcd
I'm not sure if this is just me but I get called lame sometimes because of my humour. When I get called lame, it is usually after I have made a joke using wordplay ...

branflakes

MBTI Type
INFP
around my closest friends, my humor is no-holds-barred. things i say are generally vulgar and often very fucked up and would get me killed in many parts of the world

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
My "problem" is that I see alot of jokes coming. I don't necessarily see the punchline, but I see where misdirection is being planted and can see where the joke is going. It kills the surprise, and without surprise, there is no laughter.

I know what you mean:yes: The jokes I remember longest are those that went wrong. Like for example a friend of mine was trying to tell that a woman went to the gynechologist and while he was examining her blahblahblah. But he said he was examining her and when he got to her genitalia ... That was when I started laughing and asked him "But where was he examining before he got there?". It`s not even funny, but it was at that time cuz you could see he was being awkward about how to phrase it and everyone was listenint so intently ...damn I sound so mean. I can`t even rememeber the punch line after that.:D

Sadly it seems I get the most laughs when I`m being unintentionally funny. It always shocks me how my ESTJ friend hysterically laughs at something either dark or dirty I said, but was ment only as an of hand comment. Or when I trip over something.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
My "problem" is that I see alot of jokes coming. I don't necessarily see the punchline, but I see where misdirection is being planted and can see where the joke is going. It kills the surprise, and without surprise, there is no laughter.

Yeah, this happens a lot when I'm watching movies. You can see it coming a mile away.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure if this is just me but I get called lame sometimes because of my humour. When I get called lame, it is usually after I have made a joke using wordplay ...

Probably because the person is less intelligent than you, and you make them feel stupid. Or they are just ignorant.:)

teacups&cupcakes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
abcd
Probably because the person is less intelligent than you, and you make them feel stupid. Or they are just ignorant.:)

Haha I wish. I think everyone has called me lame at least once but then no one ever really gets what I'm on about most of the time.

Eh wellio, Ne humour is awesome even when it's horrible. :D

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I did qualify my roll as being "a bit of a roll" ie not comedic gold. The problem I have is that it starts off as a bit of a roll and then turns into more of a nosedive, or a limp sprawl. So I prefer to err on the side of underplaying my hand rather than overplaying it in the humour stakes. Ideally. In a world where I am not me. :rolli:

:laugh:

For what it's worth, I'll do the same thing where I say something really funny, but then blow it with my attempts to follow up. Then I'm left thinking about how I wish I would have stopped while I was still ahead.

Sadly it seems I get the most laughs when I`m being unintentionally funny.

I have this to an extent as well. We all are sometimes unintentionally funny, but I have a tendency to get my biggest laughs from what I consider to be throw away jokes. Then, some joke I'm *especially* proud of gets nothing but weird looks. :shock:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Haha I wish. I think everyone has called me lame at least once but then no one ever really gets what I'm on about most of the time.

Eh wellio, Ne humour is awesome even when it's horrible. :D

As long as you get your own joke, that's all that matters. It's not your fault most of humanity is ill equipped to understand real humor. :D

skypirate

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that INFPs have a broad range of humour - black comedy, sarcasm, puns, slapstick, one liners, stupid shit and everything in between- BUT are actually quite hard to make them laugh, specially if you can see a punchline transmitted

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
I'm going to stick my neck out and say that INFPs have a broad range of humour - black comedy, sarcasm, puns, slapstick, one liners, stupid shit and everything in between- BUT are actually quite hard to make them laugh, specially if you can see a punchline transmitted

I agree. I think mostly it`s hard to make us laugh if you`re really trying. The joke we saw coming is just not as unexpectedly funny as for example that spontaneously taken photograph where your face expression looks like you were a star in a horror movie.:D

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I occasionally start laughing too early at movies or when someone is telling a joke, because I see where it's going and find it funny even though it hasn't happened yet. This can puzzle others.

I'm horrible at joke telling (and not great at story telling in general), but not bad at finding humor in the moment.

In school I sometimes got the people around me in trouble. I would mutter a running commentary on the class and make the people around me laugh. Then, of course, I would feel guilty for getting them into trouble. The teachers almost never called me out since I was always a good student.

MBTI Type
INFP
In school I sometimes got the people around me in trouble. I would mutter a running commentary on the class and make the people around me laugh. Then, of course, I would feel guilty for getting them into trouble. The teachers almost never called me out since I was always a good student.

In school I found it hard not to laugh continuously. Teachers thought I was laughing at them when in reality, my mind was just lost in thought.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
mines somewhat variable.
- mostly, quick-wit,random & goofy humour.