• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, what gets you out of your head?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And do you enjoy it? I went to see a favourite local band last night - and also had a little too much to drink on an empty stomach - but had a great night :) I love rock gigs and the loud music and alcohol certainly get me out of my head and quiet down the constant back chatter.

I think rock concerts are the best for me, for that. It's like the collision of the spiritual and the visceral. I still view it as an aesthetic/cultural experience - and I'm just having a blast jumping around, dancing and singing ;) some people who see me at a gig, or hear me describe it, and think I'm always the quiet serious one are surprised when they see this side of me!

What does this for you?

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ice skating! The falling on their ass seems to snap them out of lala-land ;)

P

Phantonym

Getting out and doing something physical like sports or just taking a trip somewhere. Getting in tune with the surroundings and forcing myself to notice all the details outside of myself and just taking them in and feeling the feeling without trying to analyze it. That helps to avoid the analysis loop that might become way too much that I need to jerk myself out of it. And I enjoy it very much. :)

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Getting out and doing something physical like sports or just taking a trip somewhere. Getting in tune with the surroundings and forcing myself to notice all the details outside of myself and just taking them in and feeling the feeling without trying to analyze it. That helps to avoid the analysis loop that might become way too much that I need to jerk myself out of it. And I enjoy it very much. :)

I hear you about the analysis loop. I think exercising is something I need to start doing more of...it should have advantages for both my physical and mental health.

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Ping pong. I become one with the ball.

I enjoy doing anything physical as long as it gets really wild; only if I can throw in all of my energy, I really escape myself.

Getting in tune with the surroundings and forcing myself to notice all the details outside of myself and just taking them in and feeling the feeling without trying to analyze it.

:yes: I love to experience life, as it comes to me, feeling a very awkward connection with whatever/ whoever crosses my eye.
I like the way Henry Miller writes about that.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rock concerts for me, too. And whenever I perform on stage. I think that's it, sadly.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Rock concerts for me, too. And whenever I perform on stage. I think that's it, sadly.

That's cool, are you in a band, or...?

branflakes

MBTI Type
INFP
Lately, being around other people (at least one friend and multiple acquaintances) has been doing the trick for me.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hmmm... I might not be as introverted as I think... I don't find it hard at all. Or, it might also be that what you people consider "being in your head" is for me something else. When I'm alone, I am often thinking some things and clearly being in my head more than if I am with someone. But when I am with someone, it isn't like my mind tries to keep itself confined.

I think I am relating more and more with the idea of "extroverted introvert"...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Painting ... not art, but a wall or something large. When I paint, it's like there's nothing else, I realize that my mind quiets and I am not thinking of anything else. Fascinating.

And music, both performing and listening.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I agree with physical stuff. Exercise, yoga -- unfortunately most of the time I'm just too lazy.

Creating art gets negative emotions out and calms me down, but not in the same way as physical activities that force me to be in the here and now and concentrate on my 'being'.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sex, carnival rides... That's about it.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm... I might not be as introverted as I think... I don't find it hard at all. Or, it might also be that what you people consider "being in your head" is for me something else. When I'm alone, I am often thinking some things and clearly being in my head more than if I am with someone. But when I am with someone, it isn't like my mind tries to keep itself confined.

I think I am relating more and more with the idea of "extroverted introvert"...

Apparently, for an introvert (which I definitely am), I make a good extrovert ;) people often say I'm outgoing, I'm a people person etc...well, I'd say that I'm a people person in that I like making close and interesting connections with people, and investing in my friends, but I'm not into meeting loads of people for the sake of meeting new people...that just tends to exhaust me.

I often do spend a bit too much time on my own, though, and being with people can definitely be good for me, especially if it's a friend I trust, or someone I find really interesting. Sometimes, I can be agonizing over an issue and can't break out of the agonizing, or deeply hurt over something and can't seem to get rid of the hurt. But if I spend time in good conversation with a friend or friends, and especially if I can talk out what's bothering me - for a while at least, the problem will seem considerably smaller and more dealable-with. So I guess that also brings me out of my head, in a different way from a rock concert! Unfortunately, the effect is often only temporary and I find myself back to thrashing it out on my own.

"Being in your head" could be different for different people. I'm thinking mainly of the ongoing chatter of thoughts, which for me often involves a lot of worrying and a bit too much negativity...and especially, having a hard time breaking out of cycles of negative thoughts/thought chatter. It can be relaxing to not just THINK THINK THINK all the time...which I sometimes THINK I do :D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Apparently, for an introvert (which I definitely am), I make a good extrovert ;) people often say I'm outgoing, I'm a people person etc...well, I'd say that I'm a people person in that I like making close and interesting connections with people, and investing in my friends, but I'm not into meeting loads of people for the sake of meeting new people...that just tends to exhaust me.

Yeah, this is quite like me.

"Being in your head" could be different for different people. I'm thinking mainly of the ongoing chatter of thoughts, which for me often involves a lot of worrying and a bit too much negativity...and especially, having a hard time breaking out of cycles of negative thoughts/thought chatter. It can be relaxing to not just THINK THINK THINK all the time...which I sometimes THINK I do :D

I think the best solution for me was to live with friends. It seems like for an introvert I need people a lot, and living with them was the perfect solution as there was none of these arrangements like setting dates and calling to people if they want to hang out. I could just walk to the living room...