• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs, what gets you out of your head?

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, this is quite like me.

I think the best solution for me was to live with friends. It seems like for an introvert I need people a lot, and living with them was the perfect solution as there was none of these arrangements like setting dates and calling to people if they want to hang out. I could just walk to the living room...

I live alone but I used to live with flatmates. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it can be nice to have company around and more available. And you usually live in a nicer/bigger place. On the other hand...you can end up putting up with a lot of compromise, weirdness and inconsiderate behaviour. And sometimes I felt just as lonely as I ever have living alone. I got along well with everyone, or almost everyone, I lived with, but I think some of them assumed that because I didn't push myself in or invite myself along to everything they were doing, I wasn't that interested in hanging out with them, and they often wouldn't even bother asking me.

The other problem that sometimes occurred was that I've tended to live with people with whom I have a lot of mutual friends, and there's always possibilities for hurt with who does or doesn't invite who to do stuff. I lived for a bit with a few people with whom we had a mutual "friend" who didn't like me much and on several occasions invited everyone else in the house over for a party, except me. Nice. (And these were big parties, not select dinner parties or whatever.) There was no particular reason for her to not like me - I wasn't the only person I knew who had that experience - she just had people she liked on one list, and people she didn't on another list, there didn't seem to be much logic to it.

EDIT: Despite the above, I would consider living with people again. But I'm a bit apprehensive about it. There was too much coming and going when I had flatmates and I ended up feeling very disrupted and unsettled. It's annoying when people you're not even in a relationship with, or bst friends with, can have that much effect on your life.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
"Go get em!" "Let's do this!" type of people, traveling, and physical activities.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Question, my fellow NFs:

Does sex get you in or out of your heads?

:)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I live alone but I used to live with flatmates. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it can be nice to have company around and more available. And you usually live in a nicer/bigger place. On the other hand...you can end up putting up with a lot of compromise, weirdness and inconsiderate behaviour. And sometimes I felt just as lonely as I ever have living alone. I got along well with everyone, or almost everyone, I lived with, but I think some of them assumed that because I didn't push myself in or invite myself along to everything they were doing, I wasn't that interested in hanging out with them, and they often wouldn't even bother asking me.

It seems like you lived in a very extroverted house. I think that in our place it was more introverted atmosphere. And we all had many mutual friends... On the other hand, there is always someone who seems to be a bit left out, or there might be couple of leagues inside the house. It's quite interesting to see how changing just one person in the house affects the dynamics..

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It seems like you lived in a very extroverted house. I think that in our place it was more introverted atmosphere. And we all had many mutual friends... On the other hand, there is always someone who seems to be a bit left out, or there might be couple of leagues inside the house. It's quite interesting to see how changing just one person in the house affects the dynamics..

Yes...I think that a lot of the people I know are either genuinely very extroverted, or they're not, but circumstances have pushed them to act much more extroverted than they are. I even place myself slightly in the latter category. It's both good and bad.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I like shows/concerts, but not the typical thought. Think Amanda Palmer or Jason Webley where everyone is standing and feeling the music or interacting with it. It's not all about jumping around or going in a pit, just appreciating. It relieves some of my own intensity for a bit. :blush:
Zumba (latin fusion dance class)
Arts & Crafts
Journaling
Trusty ENFP :yes:

Question, my fellow NFs:

Hmm.. initially i typed 'both, but if it gets me in my head i'm not focusing on another thing'. I rethought that. Perhaps it doesn't get me out of my head at all, just brings the focus in.

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Question, my fellow NFs:

Sex, like paying ping pong, makes me feel one with something outside me. I stay inside my own head, my prison, but if I somehow manage to merge it with the prison of a lover, I have the illusion of freedom.

G

garbage

The need to concentrate on something. And then actually concentrating.

It almost never happens.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Exercise- especially with other people = ) Hitting the ellipticals is awesome!

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I agree with physical stuff. Exercise, yoga -- unfortunately most of the time I'm just too lazy.

Creating art gets negative emotions out and calms me down, but not in the same way as physical activities that force me to be in the here and now and concentrate on my 'being'.

I'm the same way- that's why people like us are best getting a group of people to exercise regularly with- so that you guys can encourage and push each other! So much more fun this way! Love it!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And do you enjoy it? I went to see a favourite local band last night - and also had a little too much to drink on an empty stomach - but had a great night :) I love rock gigs and the loud music and alcohol certainly get me out of my head and quiet down the constant back chatter.

I think rock concerts are the best for me, for that. It's like the collision of the spiritual and the visceral. I still view it as an aesthetic/cultural experience - and I'm just having a blast jumping around, dancing and singing ;) some people who see me at a gig, or hear me describe it, and think I'm always the quiet serious one are surprised when they see this side of me!

What does this for you?

Wow! loads of things get me out of my head.

I would include good gigs/concerts but only very occaisional ones where you seem to become entwined with the music and vibration of it on another level.
I also agree with yoga, the deep breathing and constant rythmic natural hum of bodies.
I can also feel other wordly standing on top of a mountain/cliff with a panaramic vista-especially if alone.

And to sillysapien, yes sex! If you have a deep connection to the other person then you can almost become one and time & space becomes irrelevant.But i don't know that many people feel this way, probably more likely in nf's

I also imagine that skydiving, parachuting and probably paragliding can give you a seperate reality feeling but i've yet to do that, bungee jumping is the closest i've come and it's too short.
Oh and also motor biking on a long stretch of desserted road, that would get me out of my head.
Many other things too

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Climbing gets me completely out of my head.

Nature, combined with photography, also does. (Simply hiking in nature, if I go on a long enough hike, does as well, but if I'm super caught up in my head and stressed out or totally wrapped up in thinking about something, even getting out and hiking doesn't do the trick until I'm maybe an hour in on the hike, and by that point I'm able to let go of my thoughts and the rest of the hike is out of my head :))

Painting also gets me out of my head.

And, when I was in college, I'm pretty sure that's why I went into quasi-ESxx mode and went dancing all of the time...loved dancing...of course I also got caught up in the drinking scene for a couple of years at that time too, but anyway... ;))

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Out of my head? Are you out of your mind??
:cheese:

Music does it for me. Singing and playing piano especially, and hearing instrumental music to a lesser extent.

Also rock climbing. I've only been once but it was awesome. Liberating!

Maybe it's because I went with a certain person, he seems to be an ES_P. I don't constantly worry about crap when I'm with him. I'm just in the moment like he is.

But when that moment is over, analysis mode is back on in full gear! :nerd:

"Was I out of my head, was I out of my mind?
How could I have ever been so blind?
I was waiting for an indication
It was hard to find
Don't matter what I say, only what I do
I never mean to do bad things to you
So quiet but I finally woke up
If you're sad then it's time you spoke up too."

I burst into song at the drop of a hat.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Almost everything puts me (or keeps me) within my own head more aside from being forced to socialize on a regular basis. Given that I'm a teacher, that's something I can't avoid for eight hours a day unfortunately.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I love rock gigs and the loud music and alcohol certainly get me out of my head and quiet down the constant back chatter.

This is my favorite thing to do that is not "cerebral". I admit that I have bouts of daydreaming still....

I also like yoga a lot, which manages to allow me to reflect yet feel focused on the moment.

Cooking is another activity where I focus on the task at hand. Although I admit I am still imagining myself in another scenario, maybe explaining to someone how I am making something, hehe :blush:.

Most physical activity I like allows me to daydream somewhat though. Anything that requires a lot of focus on the moment & reflexive action starts to feel "stressful".

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pottery. It's difficult to daydream while centering clay, but I still find it relaxing.

Like OA said, coooking is another way I can get out of my head. I have to be careful with this one though because it's not uncommon for me to stick something in the oven and burn it because my mind had drifted off onto something else entirely.

I like to play soccer sometimes with a group of friends. It's one of those sports that I'm actually not half bad at because my long legs help me instead of hinder me as I've noticed in other sports, so I engage.

Also playing music is a way for me to get out of my head.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is my favorite thing to do that is not "cerebral". I admit that I have bouts of daydreaming still....

I have these odd moments at gigs, particularly if it's a band I especially love and had long wanted to see, where I'm like "Am I here? Is this real? Is this really happening? What is reality?" :D This little inner philosopher starts chattering away...then I'm like "SHUT UP! It'll be over soon enough...just dance, scream, sing and have fun for once!!!" :D