• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFJ] My fellow ENFJ's: Do You Ever Feel USED?

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm curious.....

Do you ever get to feeling like most everyone in your life is just using you? They call or come by when they need that shoulder to cry on? When they have a tragedy? When they need something??

Lately.....I feel rather 'used'.....curious if anyone else deals with that dynamic.....particularly with the opposite sex.....

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Uh, not really.

Is this going to turn into a validation pity party? I'm out of plumb out of kleenex.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hm. I rarely feel used, but because i don't allow it.
I choose to recognize that i may have advice or the open arms they require. I take pride in that, but there are guidelines. In a case where someone rarely comes to me, i won't exert as much effort for them like i would a constant friend. If they aren't listening to my advice, i'll cut them off after a point. You need to be clear with certain people.

Communication and self-reassurance. Very helpful things.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I used to. My sister and I were raised to be slaves...that's my saying about my family. It has taken a lot of work on both of our parts to learn to address our own needs and say "no" to people without being overwhelmed with guilt. I also had to realize that I was setting up the "usery" dynamic by falling all over myself to be there for other people and when (and if) people offered to help me I would refuse becuase I felt like I should be able to take care of myself and solve my own problems. So I was raised to be a slave and after I was "free", I choose to be one - I just had no idea I was doing it.

These days, I usually don't feel used. People have different threasholds for giving. I am still pretty johnny-on-the-spot for the people in my life who do the same for me. I am still friends with people who are more takers than givers, I just don't extend myself to them the way I used to becuase they would ultimately suck me dry. The really good news is, I'm OK with it (most of the time). I don't want people to treat me like a slave so I don't act like one - for me it was all about learning to set boundaries, expressing my needs and limitations and learning how to accept help as gracefully as give help.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I'm curious.....

Do you ever get to feeling like most everyone in your life is just using you? They call or come by when they need that shoulder to cry on? When they have a tragedy? When they need something??

Lately.....I feel rather 'used'.....curious if anyone else deals with that dynamic.....particularly with the opposite sex.....

No, not really. Sometimes I feel like I'm giving more than I need to be to too many people at one time, but that's my issue and my lack of attention to my own needs. I don't think one person close to me would intentionally require more of me than I can give, and they have all been there for me when I've actually grown the balls to ask for help!

But maybe that's just me...

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
give and take is a balance, if you only give, you can't receive. If you only take, you can't share. The extremes of being human are quite interesting if not difficult to overcome.

pyramid

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
if you really do find yourself in a place where everyone around you is wanting of something feel confident that these people see you as a pillar of strength as they trust and understand you as a valuable source for help. feel honored that others come to you for support and advice, and proud that you can be there for them because you have the skills, ENFJ!

Try not to establish patterns that enable people to come to you for everything and anything-- at some point you will feel tapped out, probably as you do now.

My mom is an ENFJ and she doesn't know when to stop helping, and in some ways I will never be able to thank her enough for stretching and accommodating to my issues when I needed it.

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I did when I was a child, consistently. My parents had a way of sucking every bit of energy my sister (ENFJ) and I had, and throwing every responsibility they could on us. I home schooled my siblings when I was a preteen/teen. I had 4 sisters & one brother ranging from 4 - 11 & I did (at least what I thought was) everything for them. As I got older & started seeing more of the outside world I realized how wrong it was, but I couldn't leave my parents knowing I'd be leaving the babies behind.

Then I came up with a plan. I had to cut their power over me. I rushed to graduate at 16, I warned the kids, got on a bus without my parents permission, and moved across the country for 5 months. I got a job, saved money, came home and moved into my own place (within walking distance from my family), and I helped my sisters/brother on my own terms, when they came to me. (Three of them eventually moved in when they were 16,14 & 11 yrs old, and my parents hardly fought it, and my dad's a lawyer.)

Fortunately, I've never had to go through a power struggle that serious since, but I've had a mini version of that every time I started to feel 'used.' Get away, cut off what I feel is power over me from the other person, come back ready to make sure I'm more in control of what I give.

This is just happening with my bf too, who made me feel used.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Not anymore...or at least not for long anyway. I'm getting much better at establishing their pattern of behavior much sooner.

Kymlee

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I could understand the feeling of being used, but I think after you reach a certain point with helping others consistently it becomes more rewarding than taxing. I love being able to lend a hand to people, which makes me think that maybe our helpfulness is innately selfish.
Bottom line is you need to be able to distinguish who you want to be in your life, because sometimes you will be taken advantage of, it happens to everyone. But do you want to live on the other side and not help others to avoid being hurt? Because I guarantee you that this mentality will hurt you even worse.

Being bitter and cynical and even apathetic about doing what comes naturally to you is harmful to your spirit and wastes your life IMO... Take each situation as it comes, deal with it, LEARN from it, and move forward.

those would be the keys to happiness and a rich, gratifying life. (Ideally)

:) Good luck and I hope that you find your inner peace.

With love,

Kym

lilypad

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have reached that point before, when you feel like everybody's agony aunt.

I can say all I have done to deal with that is weed out the ones who are there for me back, and not really respond too much to the ones that don't. Sounds harsh but I used to get very upset by people leaning on me and then not doing the same.

I think enfjs have to grow a thicker skin as they age :) it helps.
x