• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs (especially INFPs) in Technical Fields

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, I was curious about the experiences of other NFs in technical fields. Do you enjoy your work? What are your strengths/weaknesses in your line of work (especially as it relates to type)? How long have you been in your field?

As an INFP computer programmer (for, err... 20 years now—eek! :shock:), I'd say my strengths are:

• Patience with difficult design problems and complexity
  • Ability to understand and communicate with coworkers
  • Good at making minimal changes for maximum effect
  • Easygoing as a team member
And my weaknesses include:
  • Impatience with routine detail
  • Lack of interest in defining and enforcing process
  • Lack of awareness of scheduling in general (although I meet my deadlines)
  • Eventually become impatient with the design process once the difficult problems are worked out
I work mostly with ISJs and INTs. I was at first surprised to discover how many of my coworkers were ISJs, but it does make some sense given how important mastery of detail and follow-through is for programming.

I had to learn how to take direct criticism, and how to be more direct with people who aren't tuned into emotional nuance. Also, in the early parts of my programming career I would be exhausted at the end of the work day and felt deadened emotionally. It would take me an hour or so after work to shift gears and regain my normal level of emotional awareness. Now I seem to shift gears more easily, and doing programming all day is less tiring.

I feel like I spend a fair amount of time at work translating between people and explaining how they actually agree with one another if they would just listen. I feel like because of my Fi orientation, I tend to give people too much autonomy and tend to assume people will be more responsible then they actually are in some cases. I still mostly suck at traditional Te strengths, although I've gotten pretty good at completing what I start.

I am curious about hearing from other NFs in technical fields, and what they feel like their strengths and weaknesses are relative to their peers.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've started threads on this exact topic... NT's and SJ's out the yin-yang, plus a good smattering of ISTP's. maybe one SF, usually I'm the only NF...

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I am studying business informatics, does that sound technical enough? (Ok, as you are a programmer, I guess yes :))

So as I am still studying, I cannot really tell about experience in actual work, and neitehr my strengths and weaknesses. Learning, well, I am lazy, so I have trouble getting myself to learn something, but when I learn about it, it actually is interesting for me, so yes, I can say it is fun to me.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Definitely can be a challenge to learn strategies to deal with the uneven motivation of being a Perceiver. As I've said before, I kind of like having deadlines; they help counter-act perfectionism by shifting the requirements from "being perfect" to "being as good as it can be given the allotted amount of time."

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
ENFP - Physicist (5 years since graduating)

Strengths:
  • Maths
  • Visualising systems and interactions
  • Seeing optimal approach to problems
  • Comfort with practical and theoretical
  • Seeing value in different project directions
  • Communicating ideas and concepts to higher management

Weaknesses:
  • Not getting to work on time or keeping to routine
  • Not good at reading large numbers of scientific papers
  • Can get stuck when forced to be too meticulous
  • React badly to micromanaging (focus on fulfilling tasks and become scientifically stupid)
  • May increase understanding rather than draw conclusions when I don't have a set target or see practical value.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Peacebaby and UDog are both INFP's in technical fields, as is Alchemiss if she is still around

If you are willing to extend to our extraverted NFP cousins, Alcea Rosea, Elaur, and Happy Puppy all do as well. I had forgotten about Noigm, largely cuz I was more focused on women, and Udog and I have had conversations on this topic before.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I've said before, I kind of like having deadlines; they help counter-act perfectionism by shifting the requirements from "being perfect" to "being as good as it can be given the allotted amount of time."

I don't work in a technical field, but this is true for me also. Without deadlines, nothing would ever truly be finished :D

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
IT Research for almost 15 years (man, time has flown by)

Strengths :
- Open-minded about technology most of the time. While I might be passionate about my current area of research (semantics) more than others, I can also see that it is not the solution to all problems.
- Quick learner and reader, but research papers tend to bore me most of the time (Get to the point, will you?) :tongue:
- Good at communicating ideas at different levels : to other technical people, to management, to end-users, to the layman. Includes both written communication as well as making presentations and demonstrations.
- Will always have an idea or solution to a problem, even if it isn't a currently viable one :) Brainstorming is lots of fun!
- Willing to help my colleagues if they have a problem with their project. Even if I don't fully understand the details, I can get the big picture easily enough to at least make some suggestions, or at worst just listen as they work it out themselves.

Weaknesses :
- Time management. If I don't feel it's important, it'll be done at the last minute.
- People management. Too soft-hearted to correct others, even when it is needed. Has improved a bit and now I can criticize my colleague's papers, patent ideas, presentations, etc if necessary. But still prefer not to manage ppl too much.
- Taking criticisms of ideas when submitting research papers and patent disclosures.
- Jumping to conclusions about other ppls' work. When I listen to other ppl talking about their work, I tend to quickly come to a judgment regarding whether it is a good idea or not. I'm always thinking about how doing things another way would be better, but now I realize that different ppl have different ways of thinking, and their points of view are at least equally valid most of the time.
- Asking for help. While I can be a good team member and enjoy helping others, it just doesn't feel right when I'm stuck and require help from others.
- Finishing the job. I can get a working prototype to demonstrate a solution quickly, but don't have the patience or perserverence to complete it so that it's market ready. Guess that's why we have the programmers :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
IT business (kind of project management)

Strenghts
- flexibility
- ability to work with different kinds of people
- willingness to learn new
- ability to see the big picture (e.g system architecture)
- organizing skills (believe or not I can do it well - when organizing other people's work, lol)
- ability to handle a lot of things to work towards multiple goals at the same time
- problem solving skills
- ability to inspire people and lift the spirit

Weaknesses
- not seeing the details, making mistakes with details
- not liking the routine
- having difficulties with strong and dominant people
- being scatterbrained when not prepared
- being indecisive in some situations

Last edited:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
IT Service Desk (Corporate Internal)

Strenthgs:
- I seem to know the core issue withing the first 30s - 1min
- constantly finding new work arounds to add to the processes
- understanding of issue frustration

Weaknesses:
- I hate spending half an hour to three days proving my hunch correct
- too often I feel like all I'm doing is reading a script and doing very little thinking
- generally bad at communicating how much I want to solve the issue

sculpting

I started off in biochem/biophysics, but now am in Marketing. The plus side is I am the smartest person in my group. The downside-good god what is wrong with these people...

Strengths-
Much better at troubleshooting than the NTs-NeTe processes the big picture and can identify patterns that dont match quite right. I can work with a very limited set of data and still make valid conclusions about 80% of the time. I also know what I dont know.

Weaknesses-
I am kinda bored. I have to have an emotional investment in what I do or I dont care and will then spend time doing things like posting here. I also dont always complete things. Another downside is in being able to see the big picture-I can see the long term repercussions of dumb choices made at the top and thus realize all my efforts are pointless. It's often obvious.

There are two INFPs at my company in lab positions but they dont seem to seek upwards mobility. I just found another very young ENFP female though. She is only about 22, but has a beautifully refined Te. She can use it without any trace of emo and comes across as very confident, even when disagreeing with her VP. She is awesome to watch. My new boss and my new COO and one of the VPs are all ENFPs. Our new portfolio manager is also an ENFP. He is impressive as well.

gromit

likes this
I am a transportation engineer by training, but have migrated more toward urban planning since I've been out of school (almost 3 years now, at the same job), though I still do a lot of analysis-type stuff. My job actually gives me a lot of identity issues, so I'm not even sure if it's a good fit for me. I really really care about sustainable transportation (especially transit and pedestrian/streetscape facilities), and I'm fortunate to be able to be working in a field about which I feel so strongly. A lot of the time it's really fun - learning new techniques, working with clients, coming up with solutions to tricky problems, etc. But there is a lot that really drains me.

My strengths
  • explaining concepts to clients/writing reports
  • graphical work
  • figuring out how to do complicated problems
  • improvising/presentations

My weaknesses are like a lot of other people's
  • issues with details
  • getting tired of the routine
  • time management
  • asking for help
  • focusing
  • cubicle

Actually, I feel almost like a shell of my former self at work recently. I did two internships while I was in college, and those were so fun. I was always playing silly little games/tricks and chatting, able to be myself a lot more, yet somehow still really functional. And even when I first started at this job I felt like I could be myself more. Now I almost feel like to be taken seriously as I grow in my career that I cannot be like that. So then I don't feel as motivated to want to do a good job and it's really hard for me to focus. And it's just making me feel really stupid/incompetent, when I know I am capable of really complex thinking.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of the pressure is self-inflicted. My company is a great place to work and my employers are really supportive and kind.

But something has got to change - I'm not sure what or how yet...

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ you mention the cubicle ... a palace and prison of solitude ...

still be yourself; as long as you achieve results, others will at the least tolerate and at best enjoy what you bring to the work environment. And you will be happier for it.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am curious about hearing from other NFs in technical fields, and what they feel like their strengths and weaknesses are relative to their peers.

Web programmer and database administer.

My strength is my ability to be good with both the human aspect of IT development (the customer) with the technical implementation of programming. I enjoy trying to figure out what the customer needs and making it into step-by-step reality. It's challenging, but rewarding. I'm a good self-learner.

On the down side, I am a bit of a jack-of-all-trades but expert in none. Part of that is my current job. In school, I was better than most, but I felt I had to try harder and there were people who clearly were built for this type of work that blew me away. This job doesn't play on my natural gifts as much as I wish.

Alchemiss

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Since Scott mentioned me specifically, I suppose it's only polite to reply. :)

I've worked in microelectronics for 29 years now. I currently work in an analytical lab. No, I don't like my job but that's because it isn't meaningful according to my value system. Back when I was a student, I typed as INTP so my priorities were different.

My strengths:
  • Organized
  • Quickly see what needs to be done
  • Bursts of high output as needed
  • Ability to connect diverse dots to see bigger picture
  • Strong communicator both orally and in writing
  • Enjoy problem solving
  • Good at teaching and training others
  • Good at developing processes and procedures
  • Love mentoring

My weaknesses:
  • I loathe my job and it's hard to get motivated. This has been exacerbated by the fact we don't interact face to face with customers much any more so I don't know whether my data are of any use.
  • Find conflict a waste of time and energy.
  • Dislike networking. Plus I don't resonate with most people here.
  • Dislike some routine work.
  • Inadequately challenged but not motivated enough to seek more.
  • Get frustrated with bureaucracy and management inadequacies. Hard to accept "what is".

I'm actually probably not a good one to ask because although I can get by (and my management actually thinks highly of me), I'm actively seeking something more people-oriented and less technical.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Since Scott mentioned me specifically, I suppose it's only polite to reply. :)

I've worked in microelectronics for 29 years now. I currently work in an analytical lab. No, I don't like my job but that's because it isn't meaningful according to my value system. Back when I was a student, I typed as INTP so my priorities were different.

My strengths:
  • Organized
  • Quickly see what needs to be done
  • Bursts of high output as needed
  • Ability to connect diverse dots to see bigger picture
  • Strong communicator both orally and in writing
  • Enjoy problem solving
  • Good at teaching and training others
  • Good at developing processes and procedures
  • Love mentoring

My weaknesses:
  • I loathe my job and it's hard to get motivated. This has been exacerbated by the fact we don't interact face to face with customers much any more so I don't know whether my data are of any use.
  • Find conflict a waste of time and energy.
  • Dislike networking. Plus I don't resonate with most people here.
  • Dislike some routine work.
  • Inadequately challenged but not motivated enough to seek more.
  • Get frustrated with bureaucracy and management inadequacies. Hard to accept "what is".

Al, aren't I mean? ;) [mentioning your name as someone who could contribute to this thread]

I'm actually probably not a good one to ask because although I can get by (and my management actually thinks highly of me), I'm actively seeking something more people-oriented and less technical.

I'm still debating whether to give my own answers to this thread or not, but for now I will say that I agree with [ie it applies to me and my situation], most of what alchemiss said

sculpting

I am a transportation engineer by training, but have migrated more toward urban planning since I've been out of school (almost 3 years now, at the same job), though I still do a lot of analysis-type stuff. My job actually gives me a lot of identity issues, so I'm not even sure if it's a good fit for me. I really really care about sustainable transportation (especially transit and pedestrian/streetscape facilities), and I'm fortunate to be able to be working in a field about which I feel so strongly. A lot of the time it's really fun - learning new techniques, working with clients, coming up with solutions to tricky problems, etc. But there is a lot that really drains me.

My strengths
  • explaining concepts to clients/writing reports
  • graphical work
  • figuring out how to do complicated problems
  • improvising/presentations

My weaknesses are like a lot of other people's
  • issues with details
  • getting tired of the routine
  • time management
  • asking for help
  • focusing
  • cubicle

Actually, I feel almost like a shell of my former self at work recently. I did two internships while I was in college, and those were so fun. I was always playing silly little games/tricks and chatting, able to be myself a lot more, yet somehow still really functional. And even when I first started at this job I felt like I could be myself more. Now I almost feel like to be taken seriously as I grow in my career that I cannot be like that. So then I don't feel as motivated to want to do a good job and it's really hard for me to focus. And it's just making me feel really stupid/incompetent, when I know I am capable of really complex thinking.

And I'm pretty sure a lot of the pressure is self-inflicted. My company is a great place to work and my employers are really supportive and kind.

But something has got to change - I'm not sure what or how yet...

The being taken "seriously" has sort of become a turning point for me. At my company I would have to become tert Fe like and start playing political games. Also my current area-Marketing-is very networking heavy, very political. When I am serious I dont do politics well, instead I power through problems. My Te managers actually give me a lot of room and respect me, even if they think I am weird. Given my company, there are no shortage of problems to power through.

I kinda get pulled in different directions-I want to be a fun little kid and work-play. I can do this with Te users. But the Fe users put a very shiny facade on everything and since I have no Fe, all I can do is become more serious-thus assertive. The contrast the Fe users see between work and work-play must appear false as they dont respond well. I recognize the "shell" description as well.

Funny thing happens when you stick a bunch of ENFPs in a room together to think. They stop smiling and being nice. They all get this sort of blank expression, there eyes look just a touch dull, they get a tiny bit slack jawed while they listen.

Then they begin discussing things. It proceeds quickly-you can see the same need for quick resolution-we can only focus for so long. You can also see us all "see" past the simple stuff as well. Whole chunks of convo get skipped, as we all recognize the high points-the pivot points of the issue. You can also see what others will call "bitchiness". One user will state a fact-a Te judgment-but the tone of voice is decidedly emo flavored with fairly intense facial gestures. The other enfps dont question this or even care-yet others call us emo due to this.

I wonder-if we really cant access Te without using Fi-then when we tap into Te, even if it really is a logic based choice, we dont have an inherent value based visceral response. That is not logical=yucky Fi vibes=facial expressions of disgust?