• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NF and NT... drawn together like moth to flame

Histrix

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm a female INFJ who has been in a relationship with an INTJ for many years, and I think the thing I appreciate most is the stability his more rational approach gives me. My feelings are easily hurt, I can't handle conflict very well, and I frequently allow myself to get very upset over some stupid, callous thing someone else says or does. He helps me to re-focus and solve some of these problems without taking things so personally, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure exactly what he gets out of the relationship, though -- I must be tedious to deal with :)

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a female ENFP... what do you want to know?

Ah! Pleased to meet you! My twin sister is an ENFP! :yes: I have one other ENFP female friend, and the two of them together just slay me. :D

I haven't met any other Ts though. It's very odd. I've got many ENTP male friends but no females except Aelan.

BohemianWaxwing

MBTI Type
INFP
I think that specifically INFPs and INTPs are drawn to each other simply because they are both extremes at opposite ends of the spectrum. Plus they both make up such small proportions of the population that they just seem to find each other somehow. They kind of need each other in a way I guess. The INFP needs the INTPs to help keep them grounded and their head out of the clouds and the INTP needs the INFPs to help them with their seemingly awkward lack of emotions and feelings. It's rough going and results in lots of frustrating moments and several stepped on feelings but it's worth it in the end.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think that specifically INFPs and INTPs are drawn to each other simply because they are both extremes at opposite ends of the spectrum. Plus they both make up such small proportions of the population that they just seem to find each other somehow. They kind of need each other in a way I guess. The INFP needs the INTPs to help keep them grounded and their head out of the clouds and the INTP needs the INFPs to help them with their seemingly awkward lack of emotions and feelings. It's rough going and results in lots of frustrating moments and several stepped on feelings but it's worth it in the end.

Um, is it just me or do I get the strange feeling your definition of head in the clouds is different from mine. Both types are known for being space cadets, it's just that one is having tea with lord Ryc while the other is prospecting for aromatics and dilithium...

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I personally couldn't imagine dating someone so close to my type. I'd go nuts.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeh, I am not attracted to INFPs quite like that...

lazyhappy

I personally couldn't imagine dating someone so close to my type. I'd go nuts.

that's... different...
----

lol. out of all the friends i met, my favorite ones (not to sound like my friends are a object or anything) are usually inf's. my best friend in cali. was a infp and my best friend in arizona is a infj. without these 2 inf's, my life would be crap. litrally. they are the only people i could honestly talk to and feel like they are listening to what i am actually saying (example: when i tell my infj friend something that made me mad, she gets mad as well- which makes me happier). and not to mention i have a huge issue with talking and expressing myself and they are the only people that can bring me out of my "shell"- without years of effort.

example: when i moved to az and started to go to school, the first person i met was a exfj and i was so awkward with him... it was terrible! everyday was a awkward torture and the day took forever to end. then i met a new range of people and yes i was awkward at 1st- FOR THAT EXfJ WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE! but the only person that didn't make me uncomfortable was my infj friend.:D

...:blush:... i just know my infj friend is going to read this...

BohemianWaxwing

MBTI Type
INFP
Um, is it just me or do I get the strange feeling your definition of head in the clouds is different from mine. Both types are known for being space cadets, it's just that one is having tea with lord Ryc while the other is prospecting for aromatics and dilithium...
I guess I should've mentioned that I was basing it off of my own experiences with an INTP friend. When I think of having my head in the clouds I think about constant daydreaming and drifting off from the task at hand.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I guess I should've mentioned that I was basing it off of my own experiences with an INTP friend. When I think of having my head in the clouds I think about constant daydreaming and drifting off from the task at hand.

That's just you having tea with lord Ryc...

BlackHawk

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm a female INFJ who has been in a relationship with an INTJ for many years, and I think the thing I appreciate most is the stability his more rational approach gives me. My feelings are easily hurt, I can't handle conflict very well, and I frequently allow myself to get very upset over some stupid, callous thing someone else says or does. He helps me to re-focus and solve some of these problems without taking things so personally, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure exactly what he gets out of the relationship, though -- I must be tedious to deal with :)

I'm a male INTJ in a relationship with a female INFJ which works in a very similar way to the one you describe.
The best thing i get out of my relationship is caring (We INTJs do need it on the inside, even if we don't show it) and interesting converation (on a similar wavelength but from a different perspective)

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Um, is it just me or do I get the strange feeling your definition of head in the clouds is different from mine. Both types are known for being space cadets

Beat me to it.

I think INTPs are good at critiquing the sweeping generalizations INFPs are prone to making. They are really good for exploring and testing new ideas with. They are open to the unconventional, yet rigorous in testing the logical consistency of ideas. Plus, they give INFPs permission to be nasty without being mean. That should probably be first, actually.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nt's hold the currency of the realm for me, which is an efficiency of thought that I envy highly. I find their coolness very restful - it makes me feel like the eruption of emotions I'm feeling have a termination point, like it's not forever, and I'm not going to drown in them.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
Nt's hold the currency of the realm for me, which is an efficiency of thought that I envy highly. I find their coolness very restful - it makes me feel like the eruption of emotions I'm feeling have a termination point, like it's not forever, and I'm not going to drown in them.

I kind of get what youre saying, but not entirely.

Can you elaborate?

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I kind of get what youre saying, but not entirely.

Can you elaborate?

Well, I personally find my thought processes a bit rambling, like circular thinking - I do eventually arrive at the point, but I may have made several laps around the track to get there. NT's help me tighten up my decision making as they offer me a level of clarity I don't inherently possess, that is to say they aren't clouded over with emotions. It has been tremendously helpful for me to have NT's around, to teach me how to separate myself from my feelings enough so that I can breathe. Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I always seek out my NT friends, because their calmness anchors me.

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
that's... different...
----

lol. out of all the friends i met, my favorite ones (not to sound like my friends are a object or anything) are usually inf's. my best friend in cali. was a infp and my best friend in arizona is a infj. without these 2 inf's, my life would be crap. litrally. they are the only people i could honestly talk to and feel like they are listening to what i am actually saying (example: when i tell my infj friend something that made me mad, she gets mad as well- which makes me happier). and not to mention i have a huge issue with talking and expressing myself and they are the only people that can bring me out of my "shell"- without years of effort.

example: when i moved to az and started to go to school, the first person i met was a exfj and i was so awkward with him... it was terrible! everyday was a awkward torture and the day took forever to end. then i met a new range of people and yes i was awkward at 1st- FOR THAT EXfJ WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE! but the only person that didn't make me uncomfortable was my infj friend.:D

...:blush:... i just know my infj friend is going to read this...

So what if I read this? Do you have a problem with that? Lol, aw, thanks.:wubbie:

Though, the part about a couple of years threw me off a little:ohmy:. It took forever for you to start talking to me. Usually I'm like that (quiet and a total 'I'), so I guess it was easier to be around somone who was sorta similar to myself. It was after half that year when you finally started contributing to the conversation I was having with myself. (And racheal, who was also quiet.):hug:

It made me feel a bit obnoxious, at the time at least. But now I know after two and a half years that I am an obnoxious person. (somewhat anyways-pleasently obnoxious)

Hahaha, it's weird talking about this. Can you believe it was even years ago? :smile:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Beat me to it.

I think INTPs are good at critiquing the sweeping generalizations INFPs are prone to making. They are really good for exploring and testing new ideas with. They are open to the unconventional, yet rigorous in testing the logical consistency of ideas. Plus, they give INFPs permission to be nasty without being mean. That should probably be first, actually.

This I can definitely agree with and it feels so good sometimes!

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
I like NF's. Especially the NFP's.

They bring out another side of me that is usually dormant. In other words, they can make me feel more complete.

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
An NF on another board stated:

Introverted NTs - Too cold to hold
Extroverted NTs - Too hot to handle

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
The two provides ummm mental stimulation that the other craves...

INFJ tertiary Ti is drawn to INTP... while the INTP is drawn to the Ni
INTJ tertiary Fi is drawn to INFP...

INFJ + ENTJ => Ni balancing difference between Fe and Te
INFP + ENTP => ummmm this one can be like hot chilly pepper

INFJ + ENTP or INTJ + ENFP => Ni Ne interaction + auxillary/tertiary interaction

The list goes on...