• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How is this possible???

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, so I just found out that the functions of an INFP actually match me more than INFJ does, I definitely have 'Si', not too sure about Fi being primary though... I feel as though the order should be Si Ne Fi Te, oh well, - that's a different story.

- but whenever I look at the website profiles they don't match me, I don't see 'mundane objects come to life', and I usually finish what I start, - and I'm not so approachable, the INFJ website profiles match me much more, then the INFP ones for some reason.

teddy bear theory -

cold on the outside, fuzzy on the inside - INFJ - matches me.
Fuzzy in and out - INFP - not really. :steam:

explain please?:huh:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are many ways to arrive at your "type." If descriptions of your actual behavior match a certain type, then by all means identify yourself as that type, rather than trying to match up to the much more vague and inconsistent function theories.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
There are many ways to arrive at your "type." If descriptions of your actual behavior match a certain type, then by all means identify yourself as that type, rather than trying to match up to the much more vague and inconsistent function theories.

oh. lol. fast.

- but I thought functions were supposed to be 'highly reliable', but honestly, I think that the functions are more consistent then the profiles made by typelogic.com and similiarminds.com, - anyways, INFJ functions don't match me, at all.

best of both worlds, - maybe INFx? - for all I know I could be ISTJ - Si Ne, etc.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
oh. lol. fast.

- but I thought functions were supposed to be 'highly reliable', but honestly, I think that the functions are more consistent then the profiles made by typelogic.com and similiarminds.com, - anyways, INFJ functions don't match me, at all.

Yeah, and Crispix is supposed to stay crispy in milk, but that stuff gets soggy faster than anything.

It seems to be a common thing on this forum for people to have found a "best-fit" type and be satisfied with that, but then start reading stuff about functions and get all confused and question their identity. Now, that didn't happen for me. I found the stuff about functions helpful, because it seemed to fill in some gaps in the whole type mess to me. But then I didn't have that confusion because the descriptions of my supposed first two functions (Fi/Se) matched my personality very well. Now the stuff that supposes the order of the remaining functions is way off for me, but the real "type essential" pair is true.

Unlike some people here, I don't think understanding abstract function theory is necessary to get something useful out of the concept of personality types. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't read more about function theory, but it might be very possible that rather than you having your type wrong, that the functions just don't play themselves out in your life in the same way they are described in the sources you have consulted.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, and Crispix is supposed to stay crispy in milk, but that stuff gets soggy faster than anything.

It seems to be a common thing on this forum for people to have found a "best-fit" type and be satisfied with that, but then start reading stuff about functions and get all confused and question their identity. Now, that didn't happen for me. I found the stuff about functions helpful, because it seemed to fill in some gaps in the whole type mess to me. But then I didn't have that confusion because the descriptions of my supposed first two functions (Fi/Se) matched my personality very well. Now the stuff that supposes the order of the remaining functions is way off for me, but the real "type essential" pair is true.

Unlike some people here, I don't think understanding abstract function theory is necessary to get something useful out of the concept of personality types. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't read more about function theory, but it might be very possible that rather than you having your type wrong, that the functions just don't play themselves out in your life in the same way they are described in the sources you have consulted.

yeah,- it may be.

I can see the connections in the INFJ functions and the website profile(expressing Ne right there), as in they have Se, so that's why they are such 'great listeners', unlike me who takes some time to process it all at once, which makes me Si.

Ne Si

maybe I'm just a very lost ISTJ, who knows... they also have the same functions except in a different order.:cheese:

MBTI Cognitive functions | To Civilize Nature

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Anyways, thanks for bothering to write something down, - whenever I make a thread regarding type - I'd tend I get more views than comments.:cheese:
- yep, and I am very new to this stuff.

heart

heart on fire
Where do people get the idea INFP are always warm on the outside? I get called cold all the time and INFJ husband is thought of as warm.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Where do people get the idea INFP are always warm on the outside? I get called cold all the time and INFJ husband is thought of as warm.

I find this strange also. No one would call me warm.

To the OP: If you identify most with Si, then you are probably Si-dom. Look into ISFJ, since you identify with being an extroverted judging type and a Feeler. Or as you say, consider ISTJ as well.

I have a feeling a lot of ISFJs mistype as INFPs....my ISFJ mom tests as NFP frequently, and she agrees that the NFP descriptions do not suit her. Many online tests are poorly written....

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

To the OP: If you identify most with Si, then you are probably Si-dom. Look into ISFJ, since you identify with being an extroverted judging type and a Feeler. Or as you say, consider ISTJ as well.

I have a feeling a lot of ISFJs mistype as INFPs....my ISFJ mom tests as NFP frequently, and she agrees that the NFP descriptions do not suit her. Many online tests are poorly written....

ISFJ??? seriously??? ISFJ?... wow...

I seem more aloof, constantly thinking about the future, not much of a 'present' person..

anyways, ISFJ's are characterized by their 'need to be needed', I'm not a total other-centered kinda person either.

I'm not as good as facts as my ESFJ mother, and I don't consider myself to be like her, - for one, - I can tell when she is being too forgiving of people, and I'm not comfortable with that and I'm less of a drama-queen - maybe in my head I am sorta:nerd:.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I'm really doubting being an INFP 'cause I don't really lead a 'happy-go-lucky' life, where everything just seems so... 'awesome'.

And on being an ISFJ, - I don't want to live entirely for other people...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really doubting being an INFP 'cause I don't really lead a 'happy-go-lucky' life, where everything just seems so... 'awesome'.

Wait, where have you read THAT about INFPs? :huh:

It sounds like you are buying into some stereotypes here, rather than realizing there is much variation within each type.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
please explain?

Well, your last post seems to imply that all INFPs lead a "happy-go-lucky" life, and think "everything seems so awesome" and that all ISFJs live entirely for other people. Those seem like stereotypes rather than actual descriptions, and not even very accurate ones.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP

:thelook:

Happy-go-lucky? :rofl1:

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well, your last post seems to imply that all INFPs lead a "happy-go-lucky" life, and think "everything seems so awesome" and that all ISFJs live entirely for other people. Those seem like stereotypes rather than actual descriptions, and not even very accurate ones.

"mundane objects come to life" "INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder" ,etc, -

INFP Profile -

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ISFJ??? seriously??? ISFJ?... wow...

I seem more aloof, constantly thinking about the future, not much of a 'present' person..

anyways, ISFJ's are characterized by their 'need to be needed', I'm not a total other-centered kinda person either.

I'm not as good as facts as my ESFJ mother, and I don't consider myself to be like her, - for one, - I can tell when she is being too forgiving of people, and I'm not comfortable with that and I'm less of a drama-queen - maybe in my head I am sorta:nerd:.
I think you need to talk to some of the ISFJs on this forum rather than relying on stereotypes and poorly written type descriptions, because nothing you said relates at all to what ISFJs tend to be like.

Being an sj is not a character flaw, you know, despite what you may hear on some forums...I'm not sure why you're shocked that isxj was brought up when you said you feel very strongly about Si.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL! Sense of wonder, mundane objects come to life, happy-go-lucky? Perhaps when life isn't beating you over the head with a crowbar. :rolli:

You put that on yourself. - wow, - you're 40 and you still don't understand.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
You put that on yourself. - wow, - you're 40 and you still don't understand.

I understand. But, all that description crap is way too generalized. So I look at MBTI, and all personality descriptions, as flawed, sometimes semi-accurate, pseudo-science. That you shouldn't let affect your day to day life as much as some people apparently do. I take it all with a whole shaker of salt, and a lot of amusement.