• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are You Sick of Being an N in an S world?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you think that MBTI is about predicting behavior, you are greatly mistaken. That's what the enneagram is for. MBTI is purely about how people think, the enneagram basically covers how people present how they think and how they react to things and cope with things.

sleepy

If you think that MBTI is about predicting behavior, you are greatly mistaken. That's what the enneagram is for. MBTI is purely about how people think, the enneagram basically covers how people present how they think and how they react to things and cope with things.
Surely there is a correlation between what people think and do. Especially when stressed so there is not so much time for thinking. Are you saying all people are fake?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Surely there is a correlation between what people think and do. Especially when stressed so there is not so much time for thinking. Are you saying all people are fake?

Well of course people's thinking presents itself to the outer world (that's why it's possible to type people based on interactions using MBTI etc). But there are differences in how you think and how your thinking is presented and what your behavior is like, and that's how the two systems differ. The functions are just ways of thinking, really. What made you think I was saying that people are fake? lol

And the enneagram covers those things! When stressed and you don't have much time to think. Kinda sorta, but not wholly. The rest is human instinct.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram

Then why are MBTI tests based on behaviour?

And how can the way somebody thinks not be inextricably tied to their actions?

And theoretically, how could we define the way somebody thinks if it didn't have any effect on reality? :s I know I couldn't. The functions descriptions are far too vague for that. It's only through seeing them played out that you can really distinguish one from the other.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^To add to Blackcat's posts, I view mbti as nothing more than a categorization system - 16 general 'trends' of being, if you will. It gives you a general notion/idea of what makes a person tick. Ennegram is a second layer you can put over mbti: It addresses different things, and it, in conjunction with mbti, gives you a fuller picture of who a person is.

Basically, yeah, mbti gives you an idea. But not the complete idea. INFJ's of different ennegrams can come across vastly differently. For example, in many ways I don't relate well to typical type-4 perceptions/concerns, although probably the bulk of INFJ's fall under type 4.

Then throw in cultural influences/nurture (how you were raised)/life experience, and you have a whole slew of other things going on. Then add individual idiosynchrocies. Oh, and also throw in non-mbti psycholocial things: depression, narcissism, anxiety, and the like.

Mbti is the icing on the cake.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Then why are MBTI tests based on behaviour?

And how can the way somebody thinks not be inextricably tied to their actions?

And theoretically, how could we define the way somebody thinks if it didn't have any effect on reality? :s I know I couldn't. The functions descriptions are far too vague for that. It's only through seeing them played out that you can really distinguish one from the other.

Well it DOES have an affect on reality, it's just different. As I said before, the way people thinks tends to surface through the enneagram.

How about this. Think of someone's personality as a tool. MBTI/typology is the tool itself, the enneagram is how the tool is used. So elements of both how someone think and how this thinking is applied in the world are in both systems.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
They might be Ns, but their more Js. Didn't you ever notice how anal the huge majority is about timelimits, structure etc etc. I'd say 90& of all people in academia are ESFJs. The higher levels it will deflate somewhat, and mix in with other types. But not by much. I'd burn the whole system to the ground. Now, this is my honest opinion :huh:

LOL! Greetings fellow P. Yeah, J's can make me nervous. And structure can make me feel suffocated... so I'm right there with you... you damn anarchist / arsonist.

:hug:

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
No, I think the truth is that most professors in four-year liberal arts collages that paid to take that test prefer to think of themselves as Intuitives.

Uh..... I don't think this appropriate forum to debate the scientific method, but after reading several studies in scientific journals, I assure you that the researchers were well-trained and knew how to try to minimize such skewing of the data.

Plus, I've gotta remind you that almost no S is going to get a Ph.D. in Philosophy and dedicate their life to teaching it.

And while I believe in going where the chase leads me, it's just common sense (at least for me) who was a graduate student and has interacted with a gazillion academics. Publishing in journals, speaking at conferences, developing new and innovative theories.... this has got N written all over it.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
^The IS_Ps are darker than the EN_Js in that chart... The IS_Js are the same color as the EN_Js. That's a cool site though.

Blackcat, how very S of you to notice such details. I never let the details get in the way of my story. Ha ha!
:devil:

StrappingYoungLad

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w8
Uh..... I don't think this appropriate forum to debate the scientific method, but after reading several studies in scientific journals, I assure you that the researchers were well-trained and knew how to try to minimize such skewing of the data.

Plus, I've gotta remind you that almost no S is going to get a Ph.D. in Philosophy and dedicate their life to teaching it.

And while I believe in going where the chase leads me, it's just common sense (at least for me) who was a graduate student and has interacted with a gazillion academics. Publishing in journals, speaking at conferences, developing new and innovative theories.... this has got N written all over it.

Sorry, I missed that in your post. All I saw was a link to a to a site where you have to pay for the test.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This thread...

*adds it to the list of unintentional S-bashing threads*

Well yeah, the list of strategies for dealing with Ss makes them sound like retarded 8 year olds. It's kinda silly.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An admin and founder of one of the larger philosophy sites online is an ISTP with degrees in philosophy. I know it's just a random fact, but sometimes I wonder. An observer with the set of expectations you describe would not type this person as an S, although they identify as one.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

There are probably more Ns in this field than Ss, but it's kind of silly to say that almost no S will do it.

I think your perception of Ss is skewed toward SPs and away from SJs.

The whole idea of "man I don't wanna deal with it if it's not physically tangible and right in front of me" is really much more of an Se concept (used by SPs) than Si (used by SJs), but MBTI oversimplifies and fails to account for this difference.

SJs actually tend to do very well in academia because it rewards their consistent preparation and attention to detail.

Even some SPs might get into this kind of field, just usually not ESPs. Remember that for ISPs, Se is the secondary priority--both Ti and Fi are frequently interested in philosophy and these are the dominant functions of ISTP and ISFP. ISTP may be a Sensor, but he's a Thinker first.

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
An admin and founder of one of the larger philosophy sites online is an ISTP with degrees in philosophy. I know it's just a random fact, but sometimes I wonder. An observer with the set of expectations you describe would not type this person as an S, although they identify as one.

Upon reading this, I think of what one of my best friends (and an INFP, and a gay man) always says to me. "I'm sure there are some straight guys that have slept with other men. But, who you sleep with doesn't make you gay. It's who you fall in love with that makes you gay. Our sexual orientation is in our head."

Said in another way, there is a HUGE difference between an INFP who's trying to act like an ENTJ and an ENTJ.

Just because one random ISFP has a degree in philosophy (and kudos to them), doesn't negate the fact that getting a Ph.D. in philosophy means dedicating one's creative energies to everything that is not S.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Upon reading this, I think of what one of my best friends (and an INFP, and a gay man) always says to me. "I'm sure there are some straight guys that have slept with other men. But, who you sleep with doesn't make you gay. It's who you fall in love with that makes you gay. Our sexual orientation is in our head."

Said in another way, there is a HUGE difference between an INFP who's trying to act like an ENTJ and an ENTJ.

Just because one random ISFP has a degree in philosophy (and kudos to them), doesn't negate the fact that getting a Ph.D. in philosophy means dedicating one's creative energies to everything that is not S.

What do you think is S, out of curiosity?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
The whole idea of "man I don't wanna deal with it if it's not physically tangible and right in front of me" is really much more of an Se concept (used by SPs) than Si (used by SJs), but MBTI oversimplifies and fails to account for this difference. SJs actually tend to do very well in academia because it rewards their consistent preparation and attention to detail.

I both agree and disagree with you here.

I agree with you that SP versus SJ is a huge difference. SJs are consistent and attend to details. And, this gives them some options that SPs don't have. For example, most lawyers are Ns. But I have a dear ISTJ friend who is an attorney. Her strengths as an attorney are her consistency and detail orientation. At the same time, she's not good at innovative interpretation of the law. Nor is she good at intuiting witnesses' responses. In fact, her boss always has another attorney (an ENTJ) handle witness interviews. This would limit her career if she wanted to be a partner in a big law firm. These attributes are very highly valued in the legal profession. There are just too many Ns that can beat her on these measures without even trying.

Here's where I disagree with you: As an almost professor, let me say that while consistency and attention to detail are almost always positive attributes, this is absolutely NOT what academia rewards. The rising star professors are those who come up with brilliant ideas and have the ability to dazzle others with their intellect. If they are late to class, don't return papers on time, or fail to develop a lesson plan (LOL! Professors are never even taught to have lesson plans), this has almost ZERO effect on how they are hired, evaluated, and promoted. (Interesting to note that K-12 teachers are rewarded on such measures. And research shows that most K-12 teachers are Ss while most professors are Ns.)

What prestigious conferences they are invited to because their colleagues are impressed with their brilliant insight and innovative thinking. Which grants they can secure because they are going to change the way a discipline looks at a given problem. And, every once in a while, how well they are liked by students. These things are what makes or breaks a professor. The Chair of the Philosophy Department couldn't give a flying flip if their newest Associate Professor attends to their students' names and keeps consistent office hours. To be a successful liberal arts professor in a tenure track position, you MUST be fluent in the concepts of your discipline. Concepts are in an N's wheelhouse.

both Ti and Fi are frequently interested in philosophy and these are the dominant functions of ISTP and ISFP. ISTP may be a Sensor, but he's a Thinker first.

My significant other is an ISTP so I know this type very well. This is a great example of why an ISTP is highly unlikely to be a happy philosophy professor.

My ISTP boyfriend may have dominant Ti. However, he makes decisions on the information he takes in. So the kind of information he processes is dictated by whether he's an S or an N. And according to David Kiersey, for people who focus their information gathering on tangible realities, the second most important difference is the emphasis on structure vs. process (J-P).

Back again to my SO. He is so smart and stimulates my intellect all the time. However, he picked up a Thomas Merton book to read last week and told me that he's having a very hard time getting through it. "Why?" I asked. My SO responds "Well, he just rambles on about all these ideas. It's very hard to follow."

And yet, if I asked him who played TJ Hooker's second partner in the TJ Hooker Xmas special that was only aired once and now can only be seen either in Betamax or on YouTube, he'd give me an accurate response on this specific, non-conceptual detail in three seconds flat. And damn it, he'd be right about 120% of the time. :wubbie: (This blows me away. I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast today.)

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You can definitely use MBTI for whatever you like, but that doesn't mean it's the right way to apply it.

Your approach is more of trying to force people into the typical behaviours that represent their types, instead of understanding that those profiles are based on averages, and most, if not all people stray from that average, some excessively.

I'm sure in academia, if you are grossly late with your papers and assignments, you do suffer the penalty. And SJs seen as those who are neat and tidy, even organized, is a stereotype that doesn't fit them all. A lot of SJs aren't organized, like me, for instance. SJs can also use innovation. As an auditor, there's a lot of judgement involved in applying accounting principles, and sometimes that means going toe to toe with controllers, CFOs and bigwigs of organizations to interpret accounting guidance. It takes a lot of innovation and ability to read into more than what's in print, sometimes even manipulate. It comes into play almost every engagement. A lot of Sensors are accountants, very successful accountants, and they are able to take the guidance and translate it to help support their arguments.

I'm not going to go back and forth with you, though...because you are going to believe what you want, and see things how you see fit. But know that you won't get far with that logic. You'll be safe in academia, because intuition is prolific there; I just hope you don't prejudge any poor S students you come across.