• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are You Sick of Being an N in an S world?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I probably shouldn't put this in a function charged thread because I do not think this is necessarily an S thing, but there is something that wearies me deeply when interacting in the world. It is the work ethic that equates character with coming into work no matter how sick you are, how dangerous the roads, etc. This is a point of complete exasperation to me because it attempts to personalize the manipulation for the benefit of the company. The argument used to punish those who do not do it is a description of all the hardships the other person endures to fulfill duties. The central question is "have you ever considered your own choices have been unwise?" This work-ethic that places the individual and their coworkers at risk is for the supposed benefit of the company who rarely reciprocates that sort of devotion. People who are sick or facing physical peril should take care of themselves. It is unethical and void of compassion not to support those choices. Various types can do this sort of thing, but it's been on my mind more than MBTI, and I ended up posting it here.

My ENTJ mentor accurately identifies this as a lack of EQ (Emotional Quotient), which corresponds to a more T influenced workworld. This is definitely not an S/N issue. You can have an NT boss who could care less about your sniffles; he'll give you a box of Kleenex some Dayquil and expect you to handle your business.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ENTJ mentor accurately identifies this as a lack of EQ (Emotional Quotient), which corresponds to a more T influenced workworld. This is definitely not an S/N issue. You can have an NT boss who could care less about your sniffles; he'll give you a box of Kleenex some Dayquil and expect you to handle your business.
You are right. I think an argument could also be made for J/P before S/N. I shouldn't have posted it here, but it is a prevalent problem.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
There's some sour grapes.

Not at all. :) It's just a fact; in the most literal sense:

Distribution of wealth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A study by the World Institute for Development Economics Research at United Nations University reports that the richest 1% of adults alone owned 40% of global assets in the year 2000, and that the richest 10% of adults accounted for 85% of the world total. The bottom half of the world adult population owned 1% of global wealth.[11] Moreover, another study found that the richest 2% own more than half of global household assets.[12]
11: eScholarship: The World Distribution of Household Wealth
12: This page is available to GlobePlus subscribers

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
You are right. I think an argument could also be made for J/P before S/N. I shouldn't have posted it here, but it is a prevalent problem.

That too- My ISTJ boss- would rather us take a day off over allowing us to work from home- even though we are auditors with laptops (the point here is mobility!):doh: His response to my ESTJ supervisor's request to work from home this past Wed was 'how do you know they'll work from home?". The ESTJ, who becomes more idiotic when the ISTJ is like this- gave us this list of things we had to do in order to be eligible to work from home- including giving him a list of things we planned to do, AND to be prepared to demonstrate it on Thursday! :shock: One guy said he'll risk it and just come in instead of doing all of that just to WORK from home.

These are the dudes that give my type a bad rep!

sleepy

You are an N, but you fail to see the big picture of your "big picture ability," that is, to use to contribute to the quality of life, for all people. These functions aren't meant to cause separations or class distinctions. MBTI is first and foremost to understand self, and then understand others- strenghts and weaknesses. Use it to find your niche in the real world. Sensors dominate, but there's a place for all types.
I agree. I think it can be used extroverted for fun and for the moment. But probably not to conjure lasting truths out of, regarding other people. This seems to be a double sided trap if one actually believes in it, since it may close you off for further perceptions. There is something to be said about making conclusions.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
You forgot the part about how much income tax the richest have to pay.

And does that change the essence of my argument, or does it only alter a few percentage points? Likewise this assuming that they actually pay, which in many cases is not the case...

I also didn't mention that the wealth which they own is socially produced, making any whining about incomes tax, completely irrelevant. ;)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it was more frustrating when I was younger but I think life experience and repetition makes things easier.

I think some of the friction that people associate with S vs N is not a personality typing issue but an institutional issue. Meaning its not so much about interpersonal conflict but rather you dealing (or not) with the nitty gritty of life like dealing with utility companies, insurance, doctors visits, driving, etc. There are some things that could be more intuitive friendly and be retooled, for instance schools and learning environments, but there are some that are inherently super 'S' or detail/sensory oriented.

I think as far as adulthood is concerned, a lot of N/S friction or disorientation can't be helped, it's really up to you regardless of your personality type to be competent and get around in the world.

The most extreme case of N vs S interpersonal friction or misunderstanding I've seen is when extreme N's (especially NPs) are considered "spacey" or "airheady". In this I have to side with the "S's" - if you are extremely in your head or disconnected in a concrete/sensory way with your surroundings that is often read (correctly) as not being in touch with the people around you and just not caring. I think this is exacerbated if you are an introvert or if you are extraverted and read as having a "hard edge".

Very much agree with everything you are saying here.

I know I've been read as aloof or unfriendly or just in my own world in the past and I understand why.

This surprises me. In my wildest imagination, I cannot conceive of an an aloof or unfriendly ENFP.

A lot of this really comes down to diversity of perspective, which is a very good thing. On a personal level, I find conversing with Ns to be much more interesting than Ss. Ss no doubt feel the same way - they enjoy conversing with Ss more. Ns are a minority and so our way of looking at the world is less common. Still, for some reason I think I'd rather be rare than common. Methinks we must accept who we are, like who we are, and realize our unique place in the world.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Very much agree with everything you are saying here.

This surprises me. In my wildest imagination, I cannot conceive of an an aloof or unfriendly ENFP.

A lot of this really comes down to diversity of perspective, which is a very good thing. On a personal level, I find conversing with Ns to be much more interesting than Ss. Ss no doubt feel the same way - they enjoy conversing with Ss more. Ns are a minority and so our way of looking at the world is less common. Still, for some reason I think I'd rather be rare than common. Methinks we must accept who we are, like who we are, and realize our unique place in the world.

I'd rather speak with a person with something of interest to say- regardless if they are an S or an N. There are gouge you eys out boring Ns as well as S. I'd don't care how you take it in- Just keep my mind stimulated.

There are extremes in both cases, and they are the outlier here. Most people have a measure of both and are able to relate with the general population.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Keep telling yourself that. Lol.

1.) I know it for a fact. I used to live in one of the largest industrial heartlands in South America. Nearly all multinational companies were legally exempt from tax and heavily subsidized by the state (otherwise they'd have moved their business elsewhere).

2.) To use a western example, the UK (which is stricter than the US):

Firms' secret tax avoidance schemes cost UK billions | Business | The Guardian

3.)Likewise if we are going to talk about income tax, how about the fact that most government spending directly (subsidies, subcontracting, "bailouts" in time of crisis) or indirectly (infrastructure, wars, subsidizing of wages through welfare) benefits the capitalist class?

Aaaand finally: Sorry but if you're trying to argue that the fact that 10% of people own 85% of the world's worth is counterbalanced by the amount of income tax, I have to ask, are you being serious? :s

Do you really think that they created 85% of the world's wealth? Do you really think that even "after tax" (in the cases that do pay any substantial amount) they are still not earning millions times more than they contributed economically?

Let's not engage in pedantry, please.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I love being an intuitive in a sensing world! I have powers that the others don't have, that makes me feel like I'm some kind of superhero.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
its fun to live in a world where your superior to most :D

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
Me - I'm an S living (sort of) in an N world. I don't even exist the same way that those people do. It's not fun.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It is a prevalent issue. Working from home seems to be gaining a lot more social acceptance but there are many who have jobs where this is not a viable option.

I'd rather speak with a person with something of interest to say- regardless if they are an S or an N. There are gouge you eys out boring Ns as well as S. I'd don't care how you take it in- Just keep my mind stimulated.

There are extremes in both cases, and they are the outlier here. Most people have a measure of both and are able to relate with the general population.

Of course you are right. However, there is significantly better interpersonal chemistry on average between Ns and between Ss when communicating with each other.