• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Languages

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but are any of you interested in learning different languages? Or are you taking/already know another one? How well do you do learning such things?

I'm currently taking French on Rosetta Stone and I LOVE it. I especially love how there aren't any direct translations, you have to naturally figure it out yourself. It's awsome, and I'm really catching on.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to be doing that with Japanese once my youngest brother has moved in. I'm actually hoping I can get both my brothers into it as well so we can practice together when at home.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but are any of you interested in learning different languages? Or are you taking/already know another one? How well do you do learning such things?

I'm currently taking French on Rosetta Stone and I LOVE it. I especially love how there aren't any direct translations, you have to naturally figure it out yourself. It's awsome, and I'm really catching on.

Yes, I am passionate about languages. Alas, I do not have the time or energy to invest as much as I'd like.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Now I'd like to learn an agglutinative language, such as turkish, ugro-finnic languages, or inuit language. Although I need to find time to do so.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm going to be doing that with Japanese once my youngest brother has moved in. I'm actually hoping I can get both my brothers into it as well so we can practice together when at home.

I'd LOVE to get the Japanese edition, but alas, this us for school :/

I do have the DS game for learning Japanese, which I'm sure can't beat RS, but it's still helpful :3

S

Sniffles

Yes Im interested in learning many languages: particularly Slavic languages along with French, Latin, Greek, and possibly Chinese as well.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Actually too lazy to learn another on my own, therefore my interest is not big enough. If I would really want to, I would learn Norwegian or Russian I guess first.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I speak a couple of languages and always studying more. I find I learn them easily once I learn all the rules. The vocabulary is the hardest part because I often forget words if I don't use them often, and I also mix up languages more and more the older I get.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I speak German and Flemish in addition to English ... and a tiny bit of Spanish. I scored really high on the Defense Language Aptitude Battery when I was in the military ... but that hasn't translated into any magical ability to acquire languages for me. Perhaps I'm just lazy. I would like to become more proficient in Spanish. That would be very useful to me where I live.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My grandmother is an ESFJ Puerto Rican. She's been trying to "teach" me Spanish most of my life, but I'm an emmersion learner; if I can be around people speaking it, I will never pick it up.

My biggest desire is to learn Spanish, German, French, and Gaelic. Maybe some Latin, and Ancient Greek would be nice too if I had the time.

G

garbage

I was learning Spanish when I was serious with a Puerto Rican girl, but once that was no longer the case, I stopped. If I were to pick up another language, though, that one would certainly be it.

I also learned a slight bit of Chinese when I was over in Taiwan, but none of that really stuck with me.

I'm much more into linguistics rather than any specific language.. the cognitive science angle is just fascinating.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd LOVE to get the Japanese edition, but alas, this us for school :/

I do have the DS game for learning Japanese, which I'm sure can't beat RS, but it's still helpful :3

Well, the three of us have the (seemingly ubiquitous) love of anime, but the kicker for me is to be able to read more Japanese history since only a very small fraction is currently in English. My younger brother is also into geneology and it would help him in his research on that part of the family.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love to learn language, though English is the only language I'm very comfortable communicating in. I know a bit of French, and a wee bit of Chinese, Spanish, and Hindi. I can read Hindi, but not Chinese.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I loooooove languages! I've got a degree in linguistics, which is kinda useless, but the classes were awesome :D

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm learning Japanese. I'm not sure if I'll ever want to learn another language after that... I want to be really super good at Japanese, and I think that'll take a lot out of me. Plus, after I finally get to the point of fluency...well, I think I just want to enjoy it, you know?

I can't say if I'm good at learning languages or not. I have no idea. This is the only time I've tried another language. I guess I'm doing okay? I think it really depends on how much work you put into it.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm learning Japanese. I'm not sure if I'll ever want to learn another language after that... I want to be really super good at Japanese, and I think that'll take a lot out of me. Plus, after I finally get to the point of fluency...well, I think I just want to enjoy it, you know?

I can't say if I'm good at learning languages or not. I have no idea. This is the only time I've tried another language. I guess I'm doing okay? I think it really depends on how much work you put into it.

Spoken Japanese or written? Learning the hiragana, katakana and kanji will definitely take a lot :)

PeaceRobin

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have had Rosetta Stone French 1 and 2 for what will be a year this month. Haven't cracked open the box. It's actually pathetic since all I do all day is dream about traveling, living abroad, having a more hands on foreign job, meeting foreigners in their homeland and I have a major in international relations... The P in me doesn't let me get anything done :( Good for you though for catching on! I am kind of inspired and think I will start it next week, for real this time, haha

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Spoken Japanese or written? Learning the hiragana, katakana and kanji will definitely take a lot :)
Both. :yes: I know the hiragana and katakana. I'm not sure how many kanji I know...I'll just say, "in the few hundreds". (I can definitely read a lot more than I can write though...it's hard to estimate. But yeah, I really don't know that much.) I got this recently, and it's helping A LOT.

I know that compared to the writing system, speaking is supposed to be easy...but it's kind of hard for me, what with my shyness and all. :doh: But I'm doing my best. My listening comprehension has gotten at lot better, so at least that's something.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I have had Rosetta Stone French 1 and 2 for what will be a year this month. Haven't cracked open the box. It's actually pathetic since all I do all day is dream about traveling, living abroad, having a more hands on foreign job, meeting foreigners in their homeland and I have a major in international relations... The P in me doesn't let me get anything done :( Good for you though for catching on! I am kind of inspired and think I will start it next week, for real this time, haha

Why French then?