• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] The Trouble With Fi

heart

heart on fire
Te is the problem for me, it's the one that drives me nuts.

"You're stupid"
"You're not good enough"
"There are things that you are doing wrong that you can't see and will never be able to see"

and on and on and on.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only reason why I started my Fi thread is because I want to understand it better. At least, that was before a bunch of people took it over, derailed it, and now I'm even more confused than before.

(What a bunch of assholes).

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
From my perspective, the "demon" created the system, and the "angel" ended it (same function, good and bad side of the same archetype).

I've been thinking of this sort of thing recently, and I would think that the bad side of Fi in creating/maintaining racism came from "immature" Fi. Meaning, these were TJ types with Fi as tertiary or inferior. It was really supporting their Te agenda of domination, and the society that grew out of this is heavy Te, as many acknowledge. (Only now, it has substituted financial discrimination for racial, but that's a whole other discussion).

The move to end racism would be the more mature "heroic" or "parental" Fi.

Ok, so really racism sprang from a Te agenda of domination, an agenda that lacked a good sense of Fi. I don't think the Fi was "immature"; I think it was weak and the extent to which Fi pervaded the Te agenda was very, very limited. Racism persisted because the notion that blacks are inferior beings became ingrained in America's sociological essence, and to go against this would be going against the beliefs of society as a whole. Therefore, racism persisted because of Si/Fe, with some random Te thrown in there for kicks and giggles.

It seems pretty far-fetched to say that Fi was the cause of racism. I think a more accurate claim would be that overbearing Te with not enough balance from Fi caused slavery, slavery lead to racism, and Si/Fe allowed racism to continue for generations.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
The only reason why I started my Fi thread is because I want to understand it better. At least, that was before a bunch of people took it over, derailed it, and now I'm even more confused than before.

:D I noticed... Mentioning Fi seems to have that effect. You know, like the sharks smelling a single drop of blood in the ocean...

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
The idea that white is the superior race and that other races ought to be oppressed came from Fi?

Of course.

It's an opinion that is based on feeling.

It may be backed up by Thought.. but it is a value of White over All Else

Whoever said Fi was benevolent?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fi tends to burn like a roaring fire, and it takes some time to figure out how to channel it properly, is all. Worth it though, as is the madness....comes in handy sometimes ;)

Jaguar

I've been thinking of this sort of thing recently, and I would think that the bad side of Fi in creating/maintaining racism came from "immature" Fi. Meaning, these were TJ types with Fi as tertiary or inferior. It was really supporting their Te agenda of domination, and the society that grew out of this is heavy Te, as many acknowledge. (Only now, it has substituted financial discrimination for racial, but that's a whole other discussion).

The move to end racism would be the more mature "heroic" or "parental" Fi.

The discrimination I see right now is within the words of that post.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Of course.

It's an opinion that is based on feeling.

It may be backed up by Thought.. but it is a value of White over All Else

Whoever said Fi was benevolent?

I think if you really look at the root of racism, you'll see that there's a lot more to it than a "feeling-based opinion."

And as much as I enjoy belittling the logic of Fi-ers, it's kind of an oversimplification to imply that Fi and feeling-based opinions are equivalent.

And trust me honey, you'll rarely see me using the word "benevolent" to describe Fi, even if Fi-motivated opinions aren't the cause of racism.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think if you really look at the root of racism, you'll see that there's a lot more to it than a "feeling-based opinion."

And as much as I enjoy belittling the logic of Fi-ers, it's kind of an oversimplification to imply that Fi and feeling-based opinions are equivalent.

And trust me honey, you'll rarely see me using the word "benevolent" to describe Fi, even if Fi-motivated opinions aren't the cause of racism.

Honey? Why so catty?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

How can one have any kind of motivation to do this or that without being a feeler?Where do you think Te get its criteria from, for example?

Like Teslashock mentioned, feeling-based and Fi are not synonymous. But more importantly, logic (T) might be less biased than feeling, but it can still be tainted by faulty perception and be weak. Without aim, it doesn't even care about good or evil. So it is prone of acting in a less than admirable way too because of that.

I think a common misconception is that feeling is any more powerful justifying actions, than Sensing, Intuition or Thinking are.

Also, another misconception is that racism comes from some deep feeling. Some of the most cold and robotic bastards in the world are racist. Some of the most decent and law-abiding bastards...all kinds of bastards in fact. Some are indoctrinated, some thing they are morally correct, some don't care at all...etc

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
How can one have any kind of motivation to do this or that without being a feeler?

Everyone uses feeling.

Also, another misconception is that racism comes from some deep feeling. Some of the most cold and robotic bastards in the world are racist. Some of the most decent and law-abiding bastards...all kinds of bastards in fact. Some are indoctrinated, some thing they are morally correct, some don't care at all...etc

Deep feeling (racial superiority) can be cold.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Without Fi, this is what you would still see:

Image+%3D+segregation+drinking+fountain.jpg

from what i know of the attitude back then [which is admittedly little], this kind of thing was an Si complication. most naturally an S_J will feel unclean/unsafe in the presence of the unfamiliar. once 'we' acclimated ourselves this kind of thing disappeared. i don't think Fi was the demise of explicit racism - else it would never have amassed the popularity it did. the erosion of the foundation of fear instilled by the Si type's favorite pastime [mass hysteria] was what eventually allowed the levies break under the pressure of virtually every other function.

not just Fi.

but that's assuming i'm right about the psychological state of the U.S. during that time.
we might all have just been fucking nuts.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there anyone that Fi doesn't drive crazy? I'm just curious at this point. :huh::D

I know, really...

I don't have a problem with my cognitive functions, including Fi.

Jaguar

I don't know what's wrong with the quote button, so I have to do this manually, I guess.

Heart wrote:

It took people to stand up and say they weren't going to take it and other people to protect their right to do so, but you know, it wasn't exactly a MASS movement. It was a brave few who got things going.

This I agree with.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Everyone uses feeling.

Exactly my point.

Deep feeling (racial superiority) can be cold.

Racial superiority can be a feeling or a thought. As in, according to these criteria, whites are clearly superior. There are a lot of ways to "objectively" justify racism (and anything else really). Eugenics wasn't based on deep feeling necessarily - some people actually think they are doing the right thing, or the most sensible decision.