• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFP and ISFP: The Biggest Difference Is...?

sleepy

Most vegetarians and animal rights/environmental activists I've known are SP, and many people note that ISFPs often have a special connection to nature (being so sensory oriented).
Hmm, eating plants instead of animals is having a special connection to nature? Or is having a special connection to nature something else?

I look at myself as part of nature, no better or worse, and for sure not a divine being. I'd say my connection is just what it is, no more or less, unless my perception is tricking me. I take this into account, usually.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
The perfect day for Jeffster.

rainbows.jpg

:doh: Also, some INFPs struggle with reading comprehension. ;)

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, eating plants instead of animals is having a special connection to nature? Or is having a special connection to nature something else?

I look at myself as part of nature, no better or worse, and for sure not a divine being. I'd say my connection is just what it is, no more or less, unless my perception is tricking me. I take this into account, usually.

Um no....having a special connection to nature may lead someone to adopt causes related to the treatment of animals, the environment, etc. Those were just examples to illustrate a point.

The main point was not that ISFPs are nature lovers (I'm sure a lot are not, just as not all INFPs are writers), but that they too may take up a cause. I imagine many may not think of it in terms like "causes" and "values" because those can be rather conceptual terms, but I notice they often quietly stand and work for something just as much as any INFP does.

Sometimes talking to sensors is :17425: :tongue:

wolfy

awsm
I think this post by Orange sums up some of the core differences very well.

Well, obviously one is expressed through Se and one through Ne. And now I am going to ramble aimlessly...

I think Se is more focused on the immediate moment, using the 5 senses to channel their imagination into tangible expressions. Even in their altruistic endeavors they seem more hands-on and take-action, with a view to immediate results. They seem to relate their feelings more directly to experience which makes them less... "romantic" shall we say; but there's also less extrapolation to understand foreign feelings. Probably why they don't get the "healer" stereotype INFPs get.

In some ways, I think their Fi may be more difficult to express, because Fi is rather abstract in itself, but Se isn't, and the ISFP has to reconcile the two. The INFP has an abstract outlet to use. I think this encourages a kind of innovation in ISFPs that often leads to so many of them being original & creative artists. I also know ISFPs with "causes" like an NF, but the approach is very different - it's kind of on ground level, content to start small and work up, because Se connects to reality better. However, the ideas can be pretty noble, from my perspective. The whole "DIY" attitude has always seemed very SP to me, but maybe it's the ones I've known.

Ne is more future-oriented, and sees patterns, and forms theories/concepts/ideas with fuel from Fi (or vice verse). So INFPs tend to seek more quixotic means of expression, be it through their moral causes or creating stories to express their ideas through illustration, or maybe creating literal illustrations :D. Because the INFP does extrapolate their feelings and apply it metaphorically, it gives the feelings a universal application in the form of ideals. Theory can be trusted over experience because of this, because experience is too limited for the INFP, and it always falls short of this vision of perfection. That's where the idealistic mindset comes in.

INFPs are less action-oriented, but may take action after their ideas have incubated for awhile; and they're more likely to accomplish their objective by simply communicating their ideas, because the idea is an end unto itself. The long term view makes the INFP feel that expression is enough, and again, localized action can feel limiting to someone who is dreaming in such large format. We still deal best in the background, one-on-one, because we are individual-oriented and reaching people as individuals makes sense to us, as opposed to Fe which seems to be more skilled at influencing a group (and I mean that positively, okay Fe people?).

I also made some comments in a past thread about the differences between an INFP and an ISFP visual artist. Generally, INFPs may tend to be more conceptual & spend more time theorizing how they'll do it than simply doing it. ISFPs sometimes seem to let the expression reveal itself, by becoming absorbed in the physical creative process. That's my shaky theory, and no one really denied it at the time :D. I think there is a not a clear line, because I actually do both, but a tendency can say a lot.

Manimal

MBTI Type
INFP
sounds to me like isfp's spend allot of time just enjoying the moment without being consumed with the things that dont matter like say estp's do (my subjective opinion obviously), this is something i wish i could do!

revolve

biggest difference is INFPs actually do enjoy delving deeply into abstract topics (death, love, sexuality, psychology) & will enjoy discussing these types of things with a close friend . . . an ISFP will for a few minutes . . . and then will try to change the conversation to a "hey did you hear about X band or X movie?" . . . ISFPs have a much lower tolerance / interest in going deep deep deep deep . . . and INFPs love the deep deep deep deep . . . that's my $4.09

Last edited:

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
ISFPs have a much lower tolerance / interest in going deep deep deep deep . . . and INFPs love the deep deep deep deep

Yep. This has been my experience with the 2 types.

that's my $4.09

These things usually only cost $0.02. Would you like your $4.07 change back?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
"Shove me in the shallow water before I get too deep." -- Edie Brickell

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You never stated if you wanted to know how to tell them apart according to a temperament model or a cognitive model. I am positive that the responses you've received deal with both, and thus would only be confusing if you tried to put them together.

I'm going to go with the cognitive model, because it's the only one between the two that I respect.

Cognitively, what are INFPs and ISFPs? They are incredibly similiar, I personally argue more similar to each other than to any other types. Their cognitive processes go like this:

INFP: Fi-Ne
ISFP: Fi-Se.

See? The only difference is the auxiliary process. So the distinction in them is essentially the distinction between Se and Ne.

It's really hard to give situational examples that aren't overly simple stereotypes. I would suggest an analysis of what the cognitive processe mean to help give you a better idea.

But if you want me to make a massively general characterization, it goes like this:

On Food:

The ISFP says "Life is an experience, why not make it an enjoyable experience? Certain foods are delicious!" and promply goes to glut on more of those foods.

The INFP says "I find, though I struggle, that when I fast, I seem to achieve a higher state of mind that's really more rewarding than indulging in food" and proceeds to give a bunch of unique Ne driven connections to speculate on all the benefits of fasting (of varrying credibility).

Basically, your perception gives you certain kinds of information, the Fi makes an independently derived value judgement on it, and if it's good, you go to pursue more of that thing. Because your perceptual preference is skewed toward certain information in the first place, it's really an autocatalytic process. You'll mostly detect the good in the information you're getting, and thus search that particular sort of information for more good. In my silly example, the ISFP gets carried away with the practical experiences, while the INFP gets carried away with the theoretical speculations. Both, being Fi-doms, are spurred by a convinction about what feels right.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ :huh:

Oookaaaay.....when NTs try to explain Fi it's often a disaster.

heart

heart on fire
On Food:

The ISFP says "Life is an experience, why not make it an enjoyable experience? Certain foods are delicious!" and promply goes to glut on more of those foods.

The INFP says "I find, though I struggle, that when I fast, I seem to achieve a higher state of mind that's really more rewarding than indulging in food" and proceeds to give a bunch of unique Ne driven connections to speculate on all the benefits of fasting (of varrying credibility)...

Except when your best friend is an ISFP, then it's "Let's get a cheesecake and eat it while having deep discussion about all sorts of Fi topics." :D

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ :huh:

Oookaaaay.....when NTs try to explain Fi it's often a disaster.

I said giving situational examples was difficult to do accurately, for anyone I think. My alternative choice was to lay out a model that most people would probably have called incomprehensible. Those are unfortuantely the choices I'm often left with.

But I'd be interested to hear your description of Fi. Or for that matter, what's incorrect about mine.

Except when your best friend is an ISFP, then it's "Let's get a cheesecake and eat it while having deep discussion about all sorts of Fi topics." :D

Well, they're both Fi-dom, so of course. As for "deep discussion", I don't know what that actually means.

heart

heart on fire
My problem with it is that it makes the ISFP sound like a human pie hole and the INFP as some sort of supersensual creature living on a higher plane of pure thought.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My problem with it is that it makes the ISFP sound like a human pie hole and the INFP as some sort of supersensual creature living on a higher plane of pure thought.

That was a long way from point A to point B.

I think the main problem with attempts at examples is the audience generally has no idea which part they're supposed to be paying attention to, and examples are just vehicles for relatively small, crucial parts.

For me, there is no bias against either type. And obviously, I did not just lay forth archetypes for the the two in those absurd examples.

heart

heart on fire
Your example was pure Ne verses pure Se and neither the ISFP nor the INFP is pure perception, they aren't even perception doms.

Your idea of what feeling is sounds very related to instinct. If it feels good, eat. That's not what I perceive Fi to be. That sounds more like just S.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your example was pure Ne verses pure Se and neither the ISFP nor the INFP is pure perception, they aren't even perception doms.

Did you read the whole thing?

Yes, I said they are both Fi-doms, so they only thing in them that really contrasts is Se vs Ne, hence them being represented only in the difference between those two different processses. Perhaps I had too high a hope, that I need not explain what Fi is to begin with, in this of all places.

But you're incorrect anyhow, because the examples I gave would not be representative of Se or Ne plus Ti. Too much emphasis on what feels right, and little on anything else.

And yes they are concentrated personifactions, because there's no better way. Some people are practically at the borders, others lean very far. I cannot try to account for all of those different shades, I can only give the processes in their purity so one knows what to see more or less of.

heart

heart on fire

But you're incorrect anyhow, because the examples I gave would not be representative of Se or Ne plus Ti. Too much emphasis on what feels right, and little on anything else.

Feeling is not "what feels right" in a body sensation way.

An INFP might skip meals when out of touch with their bodies. But they might just as easily overindulge on certain foods when under stress and using their 3rd childlike function, Si, for self comfort. So I am not personally seeing the tendancy to "glut" on foods as an indicator of the ISFP over the INFP.

I also don't think your example would be the ISFP's internal judgement process if they were using Fi to temper Se. it wouldn't just be pure, Oh if it feels good eat. The ISFP I know seem very aware of food's power to be a means to health for themselves and those they care about and they seem more intune with self care and eating healthy. Fi as judgement process would say "In order to care for those I love, I must be healthy."

The following is a real statement from an ISFP I know:
"Last time I had a sugar binge, I crashed and I was so crabby the rest of the evening. I know how it feels when my Mom is in one of her dragonlady moods, I don't want to do that to my kids. So I am going to really try to watch my sugar intake."