• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs interested in science

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
abstract math makes me very happy. (Notice I just attached an emotive response to a logical concept?) I loved [quantum mechanics] in a very Fi sort of way. I found in beautifully abstract and symmetric.

I couldnt keep the math details quite tight enough to be a physicist. I would get the big picture, but make too many small math mistakes.

Yes! Exactly like me. I love math but make a lot of small mistakes. I love how beautiful, truthful and symmetric it is. I think I would be better in for example languages (got better grades in languages etc) but somehow I feel that studying math is more rewarding and fascinating than studying languages would be, and it really makes me understand something about the world. I believe in a sort of pantheistic deity, and math creates such a perfect and beautiful world right in front of me that I feel that it helps me to understand this God that I believe in. :yes:

My math teacher in high school always talked about his love for the "beauty" of math, and how math is a "perfect" system. On the other hand, he was also quite mean to some students, and not many students liked him. I loved the way he taught math and talked about it even though I did think that he was horribly mean sometimes. I think he was an INTJ whose Fi shined through when he talked about math so lovingly. :wubbie:

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Btw, I've noted that also Albert Einstein has said things that suggest that his relationship with science was tender and caring and not harshly logical. I wonder why he's typed as an INTP who's not even supposed to have Fi. Is it that he's supposed to be an NT because he was intelligent and prospered in science? Or are there some *real* reasons for why he's been unanimously typed as an INTP? I'm not saying that he can't be an INTP, just wondering... And if he indeed is an INTP, then we can't say that it's an "NF thing" to have a tender and caring relationship with science, to see beauty and symmetry in science, to see God in science.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
We're also not gonna come across as feelers overall, even though it might show from time to time. In my research center of 10, I know of myself and potentially two other feelers. I say "potentially" because it's hard to tell in our environment and the kind of work we do.

This is just like the phenomenon many Ps will come across as Js when J traits are more useful--which, in the working environment, is a lot. In fact, two ENTPs here typed themselves as ENTJs when there's virtually no way of that happening based on what I've seen of how they think and work.

Yeh, I probably come across as similar to the ENTPs at work, but a bit more visual and to the point. Like I'll give visual descriptions of systems and interactions normally rather than full technical descriptions. Fi would be used most for getting on the same wavelength as people to understand stuff. I tend to not touch on personal stuff much at all.

I think my most obvious NF characteristic at work is probably doing silly things like starting picture drawing on the sheets put up to write tasks on in project meetings. And the obvious ENFP inconsistency: Do little or nothing for an hour, blitz for an hour, be managerial, answer to all, arrive at 9am one day, 11:30 am the next, etc.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are there any NFs here that like science? If so, which field of science interests you the most?

I find areas in biology, chemistry, physics, and earth and space sciences very fascinating. In biology, I'm particularly interested in anatomy and physiology, genetics, botany, and evolution. Chemistry, I enjoy learning about biochemistry, organic chemistry. Physics, I like topics pertaining to wave and particle motion (i.e. sound, harmonic motion, electromagnetic spectrum), optics, and electrical circuits. Earth and space sciences, I like meteorology, astronomy, and plate tectonics.

So what of the sciences did you find interesting in school?

I like physics, thermodynamics, physiology, genetics, evolution, some chemistry, anatomy, endocrinology, zoology, botany, behavioral psychology.

I am also interested in nanotechnology, but people don't know that much about it yet.

(I'm a kinesiology major, pre-physical therapy. Kinesiology is the study of human movement.)

lovely empty space

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like learning about astronomy, earth science, biology (evolution, more specifically), and, well, psychology. Most of my focus is on space right now, though. And when I say like, I mean I obsessively look for information on the subjects.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I like learning about astronomy, earth science, biology (evolution, more specifically), and, well, psychology. Most of my focus is on space right now, though. And when I say like, I mean I obsessively look for information on the subjects.

Let me guess, you can lose track of time in Wikipedia just by clicking on link after link to know more :)

odetoio

MBTI Type
INFJ
I did Engineering for my career. I studied a lot of different stuff before getting there though I did two years of CompSc and was in third year Math when my Ex the Rx convinced me to transfer to Engineering. Definitely one of those occasion where I find myself asking, "why, oh why, didn't I take the blue pill? Or have a Bond cigarette!".

Before that I studied a bunch of different topics, I had taken half of second year astronomy but the credits didn't count in Engineering so I couldn't go further with it at the time. I liked chemistry but hated thermodynamics, was probably the teacher, you know I can't think of one teacher in all that time that made me want to start singing Van Halen. How depressing is that?! Although there were some T.A.'s, most were too Scientific! :D There was one TA from Anthropology. *sigh* :wubbie:

I really liked Orthopedic-Biomechanics, that was a cool class, I took it because I fractured my back skating so I did my paper on arterial spinal fusion. Our first lab was so awesome it was in the medical building, they had stations for each section of the body at each station was three versions. Like a foot with muscles, one with ligaments and one with just the bones, we got to study them which seemed a lot like making the walk again. Another cool elective was Naval Architecture, I only did part one which was hull design would be fun to build a sailboat one day. Not holding my breath though, it's too hard when you're swimming.

I've read lots of books for 'because', Time, Space, and Matter. Time Travel in Einstein's Universe, The Mathematical Universe, The Case for Mars... Honestly they got nothing on The Canterbury Tales, Beowulf, or Dante. Although I do find the evolution of written language fascinating, I mean like poetry structure and narrations types, even the evolution of vowels. And you wonder why I don't have a date on a Friday night, gah 35 and life and counting, 35 and life to go. You'd have to wiki it but I think when Chaucer wrote it, it was the first time an unreliable narrator was used. Neverminding, yup it was.

These days I like my guitar, cooking and looking at the stars, there is the job too. But who doesn't like a good documentary? I remember growing up, Cosmos with Carl Sagan is the first, best of all time Space documentary! "Milllllions and millllions of stars!" he had such an awesome voice.

Phenix

MBTI Type
INFP
I am proud to be in the company of such NFs as you all.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YES!
I would like to point out that there is a tremendous difference between being interested in science, working in science, working in the sciences pursuing research at the PhD level, and doing so in the hard sciences or engineering.

DisneyFanGirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find genetics studies very interesting. But that's the only non-social science I like. I didn't mind studying biology in school but I hated chemistry, too much math...

Mia.

I have an amateur interest in astronomy, physics, relativity, particle theory, and quantum mechanics.

Mmhmm mmhmm mmhmm. :thumbup:

I will readily sniff out information relevant to whatever idea I'm working on from the other sciences as well.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a child and teenager, science and math were my favorite subjects in school. :)

I was most drawn to biology - specific topics that interested me were genetics, evolution, and ecology. Throw in natural history...learning about individual organisms, whether they be birds, flowers, etc, was also great. And birding was a main hobby of mine starting in junior high. I also subscribed to a few magazines related to these topics, and read some non-fiction books as well, during my free time. Still definitely enjoy all of these topics and love learning more about any of it.

Outside of biology, in high-school level science, I enjoyed all of it - chemistry was great, as was earth science/geology, etc. Even physics was ok. However, once in college, I quickly learned I wasn't that into physics, and although I still found chemistry interesting, I wasn't super skilled at the coursework (getting into organic)...I couldn't ever achieve higher than a B. Which frustrated me. :smile: LOVED math (calculus) courses in college, though.

INFP Science (According to NTs):

buddha04.gif

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
..and all this time I thought, the most scientific we NFs get is pondering the evolution of unicorns, and perhaps how, or whether or not, they are related to the pegasus.

You have all proven me so very wrong. *tear*

G

garbage

..and all this time I thought, the most scientific we NFs get is pondering the evolution of unicorns, and perhaps how, or whether or not, they are related to the pegasus.

You have all proven me so very wrong. *tear*

As NF scientists, we still regard this as an important problem, and, believe me, we're trying to do everything we can to solve it.

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
Neuroscience and all cognitive sciences (anything involving the human mind) is probably my largest area of interest in the scientific field, as a complement to psychology. Additional interests are biology, evolution, genetics, behavioural sciences, and astronomy. I have an interest in physics and chemistry only to the point they tie into the aforementioned disciplines, not in and of themselves.

I did a chemistry and biology in high school. I avoided physics because I knew it wasn't for me. I dropped out of chemistry halfway through the year because I found it irrelevant for my frame of thinking and the workload was a lot. Chemistry was like maths to me, but at least somewhat interesting. My parents pressured me into doing maths, and it was easily my worst subject. I topped my cohort in the biology finals.

BAJ

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
/* I must read this thread completely later.

I have degrees in Biology and Aquaculture. I minored in Chemistry.

I operate a koi hatchery. I have 200,000 koi that take care of. We make 25 varieties of koi, and several kinds of goldfish.

I choose the parents. I decide who will be sold to whom. I choose who will become a parent fish in the future and enter into our breeding program. I photograph fish for marketing. Etc.

ArghJo

MBTI Type
IxxP
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at school/6th Form.. and It's boring me to TEARS. :|
I'm only taking them because... I'm somewhat good at them. I wouldn't say I find any of it interesting, but I enjoyed learning about biochemistry. Maybe because it's the only thing that makes sense to me ~~waft~~

ArghJo

MBTI Type
IxxP
Instinctual Variant
sp
/* I must read this thread completely later.

I have degrees in Biology and Aquaculture. I minored in Chemistry.

I operate a koi hatchery. I have 200,000 koi that take care of. We make 25 varieties of koi, and several kinds of goldfish.

I choose the parents. I decide who will be sold to whom. I choose who will become a parent fish in the future and enter into our breeding program. I photograph fish for marketing. Etc.

Holy crap that sounds awesome :eek: Never heard of anyone being a Koi farmer. Then again, there's always somebody to do a job.

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love science, second favourite subject in school.
Although i'd have actually enjoyed it at school if I actually bothered to take school seriously in any amount, I wish I payed attention.
Biology and chemistry where my two favourites.

p.s something cool, I wonder if this will ever attack humans to control us? >:)
God forbid that actually happens... *touches wood.*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8