• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP's, be honest.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5
There is a fundamental contradiction between the answers that these two questions are getting:

1. Do you think you're sometimes more selfish, mean, and less lovey-dovey than what people think us to be?

and

10. Do you think the world would be a bit better with more INFP's?!

---------------------------------------------------
People are even contradicting themselves within the same post.

The answer to number 1 is most often Yes !

The answer to number 10 is overwhelmingly NO!

The reasons they cite for saying no to number 10 is that the world will be filled with too much fluffy pink bunnies, random silliness etc.

HUH??? This contradicts directly with what they answer for number 1.

----------------------------------

Things like this help to discredit the validity of MBTI, in my opinion.

Is it supposed to be about preferences, or is it more about the stereotypes?

The stereotypes just won't go away, and it seems like INFP's themselves are fostering the stereotypes with their answers to number 10.

I wish Orangeappled (I'm calling you out, sister ;)) would weigh in on this.

I'm not sure about my type, but if I'm the only (possible) INFP seeing this contradiction in the answers, then I guess I could safely rule out being an INFP myself.

-----------------------------------------

There is also the possibility that you guys are being facetious in your answers to number 10,and I am just taking them way too seriously (as usual).

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
People are even contradicting themselves within the same post.

The answer to number 1 is most often Yes !

The answer to number 10 is overwhelmingly NO!

The reasons they cite for saying no to number 10 is that the world will be filled with too much fluffy pink bunnies, random silliness etc.

HUH??? This contradicts directly with what they answer for number 1.

Are you sure about that? Going back over the answers, I saw only one user use "fluff and emotions" in his or her response to question ten. Additionally, he or she used an emoticon, which, to me, signifies that the response can't be taken too seriously. That same user's answer to number one fell in the gray area, which leaves the correlation between questions one and ten ambigious.

For the most part, it looks like other commenter's answers to question ten have been without explanation. Those who do offer an explanation attribute their answer to INFPs inefficiency -- a trait to which I can personally attest.

purplesunset

Enneagram
4w5

Are you sure about that? Going back over the answers, I saw only one user use "fluff and emotions" in his or her response to question ten. Additionally, he or she used an emoticon, which, to me, signifies that the response can't be taken too seriously. That same user's answer to number one fell in the gray area, which leaves the correlation between questions one and ten ambigious.

For the most part, it looks like other commenter's answers to question ten have been without explanation. Those who do offer an explanation attribute their answer to INFPs inefficiency -- a trait to which I can personally attest.

I believe you're right. It would have helped if some of the people who answered no expounded on their reasons.

Even so, doesn't this bring up other questions? Why would the world necessarily be more inefficient?

They're comparing it to this world with SJ ideas about productivity and efficiency.

Isn't it possible that if there were more INFP's, the world would be set up in such a way that what is viewed according to SJ standards, would be seen in a different light?

Perhaps there would be different measuring sticks for success and efficiency, that would be radically different from the one we have now.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp

Definitely yes! The world needs at least more appreciation for NFs in general, and also more NFs in action to help make the wolrld a better place.

To the other questions...

Everyone is unique. I felt a need to be especially unique when I was a teenager, but not any more. I want other people to be just as special and unique and idealistic as I am. Many people have said that I am weird, strange etc, but I don't understand what makes me so different in these people's opinions. I feel perfectly normal, thank you very much.

I have a dark side. Lately it hasn't been in much use, which is good. I can be selfish and mean, but usually that happens when I'm out of balance with myself, when I feel like I'm too abnormal and that I should be someone else. Thankfully, that hasn't happened in quite some time, at least not in the extent that it used to.

Yes, I get very frustrated when I realise that there are a lot of people in the world who have become cynical, dull, selfish, and who don't understand certain realities, such as that our everyday choices have a global effects and that we need to be the change that we want to see in the world, and that any change is possible as long as people want to achieve it. Too often I hear things like "yeah, that would be awesome, but the reality is that it's not gonna happen, so we've just got to do it like this..." Don't they see that what they think is never gonna happen never happens for the exact reason that everyone thinks so? And that it could happen if, one by one, people started making a difference! Showing good example and inspiring others.

And some people don't even seem to think about things like what's really valuable in life. They run in circles, performing tasks that they believe will be useful for their career in five or maybe ten years, repeating things like "it will pay off to spend your free-time networking, going to the gym and doing things that will help your future career!" Don't they get that they're making their life a meaningless rat race of individual performing!? Argh. I want to force some sense into those people, but they just don't seem to get it.

Hm where was I? I don't literally feel other people's pain. I feel lonely very often but there are also times when I feel happy and balanced and whole, despite my loneliness.

I'm not a music snob. I have a wide taste in mucis and I dislike it when people make bad judgments of me (or anyone else) just because I listen to Britney Spears. Oh, how UNCOOL it is to listen to such SIMPLE music! Uncool and simple your toe.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Perhaps there would be different measuring sticks for success and efficiency, that would be radically different from the one we have now.

You could be right. I would very much like to see a world like that : )
However, something tells me SJs are probably the most prominent because their standards of efficiency truly are the most effective.
Otherwise, wouldn't life be like what you described?

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
1. Do you think you're sometimes more selfish, mean, and less lovey-dovey than what people think us to be?

Ho yeah, absolutely. But I'd rather say that we can be rather than that we just are. You think we can't be cynical? I know I can. A lot.

2. Do you infact have a pretty dark side, which find a lot of people and things shallow, and unlikeable, and you'd like to stick pins in their eyes? But you wouldn't actually do it, because you are pretty nice realllyyy?

This kinda ties in to my cynicism. I'm all too aware of people like this. I'm constantly criticising people, movies, shows, and music in my head. I just can't believe the monotony and roboticness of a lot of these things. In the end, for people anyway, I don't have it in my heart to do or say anything.

3. Do you feel frustrated towards people that don't care about things that really matter? Do you get frustrated at those that seems to only care about sports, clothes, and their hair?

YES. I can't STAND people obsessing over trivialities. If you care about sports, clothes, hair, etc. that's cool, whatever. But I can't stand it when people make it their LIFE.

4. Do you often feel lonely?

I've always been good at self-entertainment, but yeah, I get lonely and long for someone I can relate to.

5. Do you get random ideas in the middle of the night, and you get so exicted thinking about doing it tomorrow, but then tomorrow comes and you're not excited about it anymore, thus don't do it?

All the time! Sometimes I just get up during the night and do it, depending on what it is.

6. Do you consider yourself unique?

I guess so, but everyone's unique in a way. But! I also believe that it's impossible not to conform to something. It's only human.

7. Do you literally feel other people's pain?

Yeah, and it really sucks sometimes. Someone's bad mood can turn into MY bad mood.

8. Are you a bit (or a lot) of a music snob?

Not so much a snob, I just like what I like and have a lot of criticisms towards certain music, although you'll rarely hear me talk about it. I don't want to start anything with anyone. I have friends that are real elitest when it comes to their music. In my opinion, who the fuck cares? You like what you like, your taste is no better than anyone elses.

9. Have you had people you've never met before tell you their life-story?

There's a few people in school I can recall doing this to me. Totally took advantage of me trying to be polite and not ignore them. Gaaah. They were always attention whores, too.

In certain aspects maybe, buuut... having a majority of anything never really seems to turn out good. Someone always gets hurt.

heart

heart on fire

No one is perfect, least of all me.

2. Do you infact have a pretty dark side, which find a lot of people and things shallow, and unlikeable, and you'd like to stick pins in their eyes? But you wouldn't actually do it, because you are pretty nice realllyyy?

There are people I don't like. I don't think this is a dark side, I think it's just part of being human. We're dual creatures.

3. Do you feel frustrated towards people that don't care about things that really matter? Do you get frustrated at those that seems to only care about sports, clothes, and their hair?

Only when they try to apply pressure on me to like these things as much as they do or if I am forced to endure long conversations about said topics.

At times.

5. Do you get random ideas in the middle of the night, and you get so exicted thinking about doing it tomorrow, but then tomorrow comes and you're not excited about it anymore, thus don't do it?

I am more likely to either forget or get side tracked into something else rather than lose excitement.

People are always telling me I am strange and weird, my whole life, so I must be. But then every personal is unique and individual even while having the similarity of being human. So it comes down to a question of how much is one similar and how much is one unique to those around them.

It is neutral thing though. It does not make one better or worse to be more different, it just is.

It amuses me that people seem to think that admitting that you're different from the people around you is some sort of self-congratulatory thing, a sign of narcissism. Believe me, if you are truly different from those you've been around, it has been the sand in your shell your whole life with others who are intolerant of differences and you know it. To deny it is a strange sort of false modesty that is really out of place. It doesn't mean one is better or anything to admit that you're different from those around you. It is really just owning a personal truth about your own reality.

Yes, often. This is one reason for introverting.

No, I listen to everything.

Yes, all the time.

I have never considered this. The world is what it is. I am still trying to make sense of it.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx

Based on feedback from others as it concerns the INFP type, my sense is that I am not, so I do not think as such. I tend to be straightforward as it regards those things I am selfish about. The degree to which I am mean is the degree to which my verbal play gets pokey - but I usually give thought to the receiver and their state, trying to assess if my comment will serve as a stimulus by which they would feel hurt. If so, I either pre-warn or don't go there at all. As it concerns being lovey-dovey, I don't know if I am, if I understand the phrase. With those I am intimate with, I am loving.

I have a dark side, yes, but I don't concern it with those kinds of things. If something seems shallow to me it has to do with my perspective and my values, but not the person or thing judged as such. I don't wish harm on people as individuals. I do sometimes think that humanity itself (of which I am part) should be cleansed from the Earth in a great flood, or plague, or such - but that usually is a thought born of feelings of empathy alongside hopelessness.

No, and no. What I think matters is mine, and mine alone. Others may share in those values, or they may not. Who am I to say my values are superior to theirs? They work for me, but not anyone else. I find some real pleasure in those who concern themselves with things like sports, clothes, and hair simply because I don't usually concern myself with those things and to witness those who do shows me some novelty and the beauty that is the diversity of the world and the expressions of those within it.

Not at this time in my life, no. There was a time past when my choice of Fear over Love meant I avoided life and the people in it, and at that time I often felt lonely - but not now.

In the middle of the night I am sleeping, so no, I do not. That said, my interests and my enthusiam for those interests ebbs and flows, and sometimes the flux is across days as opposed to weeks or months.

Yes, just as every human being is unique. I'm in no way special, though. I'm just like everyone else - trying to meet my needs the best way I can with the resources available to me.

There's (at least) two ways to consider this. 1) no, I feel a sympathetic resonance with others such that when they hurt, I hurt, and 2) no, because "other people" is a perspective born of my usual level of conscious awareness that says "self" is divided from "other," when in truth, there is no division, but a unified whole.

Not at all. I love what I love and my taste is my taste, and others love (or not) what they do, and their taste is theirs. Neither is better or worse than the other.

Yes, but my sense is that has to do with the context of they way I present with their particular state - they have to be in a place where they desire to do such a thing for it to happen.

No, I quite think and feel the world is just right as it is, with the people in it now.

cheers,
Ian

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Always. I'm kinda like a mean, grumpy teddy bear (so I have been told). Kids and animals see through my slightly off putting demenor, but adults think I'm blunt, arrogant, and slightly uncomfy to be around. Only rare individuals get to see through to the gentle, kind side. I think I come across as ridiculously honorable though, at times. I'm also occasionally a little stiff and uncomprimising, which drives certain people nuts.

Actually, if I cared to repeat half of what went through my head about people, I'd do a lot of emotional damage. Again I'm blunt, I don't think I'm cruel though. I chose my words carefully, but I'm a bit of a bitch. I'm not Sunshine and rainbows, but oddly people still seem to like me.
Yes. I'm slightly more tolerant (at times) then when I was younger, but not by much. It's around these of people I have a reputation of being a bitch and an intellectual snob. I
Sometimes. Not as much as my teens and twenties. Everyone feels lonely at times.

Always.
Like a snow flake. Just as unique as everyone else.

Yes. It can be quite crippling at times.
yes

All the frickin' time.
Um, everybody would certainly be a damn site more considerate. Other than that, um, even though I kinda like myself, and other INFP's, Hell NO! Nothing would ever get done.

Maizy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8

I'm pretty cold and aloof until I can intuit a reason to let someone in. I have very clearly defined boundaries that I refuse to allow anyone to encroach upon. In that way, some would call me selfish.

I don't know where the "lovey-dovey" thing comes from. I don't freely express warmth and affection.

A pretty dark side yes! Glitter and Doom!
It manifests as searing cynicism and cutting sarcasm. But usually just a sullen disposition. And fixation with the profane for the sake of diggin' out what's sacred in there..

Not really. They're kind of a relief from my own dismal thought life. My mom always tells me I take life too seriously. It's good to be around people every now and then who just want to enjoy the moment. It's a relief. Though too much is a bad thing, like anything. There needs to be people who care in order to get things to run efficiently and fairly. I just don't expect everyone to think and function and feel exactly like I do, anymore.

I used to often feel lonely. As I have gotten older, the lonliness fades in and out with greater spans between. I mostly feel lonely when I have conversations with people about ethics or morality.. and some people have a pretty cut-throat stance. When it comes to those conversations, while I am able to be objective, I also consider my feelings about the subject. It's the feeling that leads me to the answer. My feelings are always guiding me to: "Harm none." It's completely subjective and not respected in an "intellectual debate". So, it makes me feel lonely.. as if my feelings are obsolete, as if I don't belong here...

Gahh! Yes. That's why I usually get right to work...if I can.

Not really. I'm actually sort of bland.

I don't feel their pain. Their pain touches me and I feel my own pain through sympathizing with them. I won't pretend to know what anyone elses feelings feel like.

No. I can find something to enjoy about most anything...

Well, I've met them. I've had recent aquaintances bare their soul to me before. But that was when I was younger and seemed a lot nicer. It hasn't really happened recently.

It would be a lot more interesting.

Silverwhisper

MBTI Type
INFP
It depends on my mood. Generally speaking, I tend to be kind, respectful, and loving to most people that I interact with. Sometimes I'm so nice I want to punch myself in the face just to spite my disposition. And sometimes, I'm startled by the cranky dragon that emerges when a foul mood begins.

Yes, I can be pretty emo. I often get frustrated with others for not thinking on a "deep" level...you know, contemplating existence, analyzing all possible sides before drawing a conclusion, eating cake on a big puffy cloud in the sky. But, I always find myself supporting others, even if I'm grossed out by their lack of original thought, because I'm too damn nice to say anything otherwise.

Pretty much the same answer as above. I guess I'm not bothered by the above things, more than I'm disappointed to find out that an individual is more interested in boring sports/clothes/hair than discussing things of a more philosophical nature.

It depends. I'm usually pretty good at keeping myself company, considering my mind becomes easily absorbed in thoughts.

YES!

Instead of unique, I prefer to classify myself as an odd duck.

Very much so.

I'm a huge music snob. Huge! (that's what she said)

Yes. I recall the time I went to Russia and this old lady on a bus began talking to me in Russian, knowing I didn't speak the language fluently. I only caught bits and pieces of what she was saying.

The world wouldn't get anything done with more INFP's. We'd all be too busy daydreaming and idealizing the world. :mellow:

Phenix

MBTI Type
INFP
For All Those Who Have Never Had a Fatal Accident, Oh Yeah.

I have a few questions for INFP's, in an attempt to analyze myself some more and more, etc. And instead of starting seperate threads, I'm going to ask them in here. :)

Really selfish and repressed that for too long.

Yes and I'm looking for a Domme to explore it.

I would rather stick pencils in my eyes.

Yes, I have always felt like a stranger in a strange land.

I have learned that these ideas, which are terrific, do not withstand the light of day, alas.

I am unique, just like everyone else.

Yes, and it often derails me from my best interests.

Not really, but hate when others share their crap with me unasked.

Oddly, yes, in the weirdest of circumstances.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a few questions for INFP's, in an attempt to analyze myself some more and more, etc. And instead of starting seperate threads, I'm going to ask them in here. :)

I'm often in doubt of what type I actually am, so keep that in mind when comparing my answers to other INFPs. :)

I see selfishness as somethign that is part of human nature and it is a part of myself I try to weigh against the needs or wants of others, but it is insidious in its nature and manifests in a sort of "enlightened self interest" where I sometimes do things that do not appear as selfish (and may even appear as altruistic), but if I analyze them deep enough I may find that a selfish desire gave me a nudge. I don't think I'm more selfish than others, but I do think I'm more selfish than others might guess just through observation.

I do not consider myself to be either mean or "lovey-dovey". I internalize my emotions most of the time, so most casual observers would see me as a bit cold and detached even if its not that way internally. Benevolent but cold and aloof is how I think I come across to those that don't know me very well.

Yes, but most of the time its more pity than malice that I feel toward those creatures of inferior mental capacity. For those that lack emotional understanding however I often wish I could make them experience the depth of emotional suffereing that their ignorant actions have caused for others (sometimes to me, sometimes to friends). Most of the time these people are blissfully unaware of the damge they are causing with their words or actions, and maybe its wishful thinking on my part, but if they could be made to feel how their actions make others feel they might be more emotionaly thoughtful of others. Essentialy what I wish for when I wish negativity on others is karmic justice.

Sometimes. I'm actually a bit conflicted about this conecept because I strongly beleive that I should not try to tell others what is right for them, but the frustration comes in when I think about the fact that to acomplish things in this world there needs to be a lot of people that feel strongly enough to make their voices heard and/or get involved in the system more directly, and when it seems like only a fraction of the world holds my views, ya, that can be very frustrating.

Not recently, but in the past it has been a major issue for me.

Yes. I have learned enough about myself that if I do get a intriguing idea in the middle of the night, I try to wake up and start typing. If its not somethign too complicated, I may go directly into project mode and start working on it, but more often than not I just write until my mind is clear enough to go back to sleep then review it later and most of the time nothing becomes of it, but ocasionaly I get an idea that still sounds good enough a day ro two later to followthrough on it.

Yes, but even the people that try to conform and blend in are unique, the difference is they fight their uniqueness rather than accept and embrace it.

In an emotional sense I think its natural for me to imagine how a situation is affecting someone by imaginign how I would feel in that situation. The pain felt may not be the same, but its still a sense of connecting with someone elses suffering.

One of the spiritual concepts I've dabbled in is the visualization of drawing the pain (negative spiritual energy) out of someoen and pulling some of it into myself and then trying to chanel it out of me back to the earth, and it may be just in my mind, but sometimes I do expereince a pain similar (but probably far less in strength) to what I am trying to help aleviate.

Perhaps. I try not to look down on the musical preferences of others, but I do try to promote my own musical preferences to friends and get a bit disapointed when they don't share enthusiasm/appreciation for the same types of music. I do look at a lot of music as lyrically simplistic and lacking emotional depth and judge the music negativly but I try not to hold teh same judgement toward the people that listen to it.

I cant think of any examples of it, but I think once people get to know me, I might be a bit more approachable to them for talking about personal things than a lot of people would be.

10. Do you think the world would be a bit better with more INFP's?![/b]

Probably not, but it might make us feel less alone (good for INFPS to have more INFPs around, but not nescessarily would it make the world a whole a better place). We (those like me anyway) need a motivational catalyst to get things going and after we get motivated we still need folks that are actually good at implimenting ideas. What I often think we need are more ENFPs, ENTPs and ENTJs.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2

not really

only if you cross me and my beliefs and values

If anything I envy them, ignorance is bliss

most of the time

every night

not really

sometimes, but I think that I remeber what it was like for me

nope

yup people just feel at ease with most INFPs

hell no, nothing would get done! lol

sgman

MBTI Type
INFP

Seeing as most people do not see the world through mbti, or would not immediately know I am INFP anyway, I think I will answer this question as a conflict between my inner self and people's impression of me. I find it hard to be assertive sometimes, but when I'm with friends, I feel fairly free to express my opinions and strong judgements.

I have a lot of anger, mainly toward the type of people who I believe tormented me in my childhood.

I do all those things. I do it partly because I want to own them. At their own game. I will own them at the things they value the most, and then proceed to destroy them.

Yeah.

I write them down on to-do lists so I remember.

Yes.

Sometimes; when I've been through what the other person is going through.

I listen to a bunch of differnt types of music, as long as they have high quality audio and have skillful musicianship. I really hate indie and pop-rock though.

Not yet.

No, this world would not function with only INFPs.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Inhibited like a roasting javelin to the solar plexus.

I HAD a dark side with a paranoid flavour of thinking before I found out what it was, now I just have a Mr whippy complex.

Fuck em, their choice, they can fuck to anything they like, sports, clothes hair, so what. Its their antithesis to my life.

Plural.

I used to, would be nice for this to return.

Uniquely centrifugal!

Take a fork and stab yourself with it, ask me if I felt that. :cheese:

Universally snobless

Sometimes.

I think the world would be a lot better with a lot less stereotypes.

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
I think the world would be a lot better with a lot less stereotypes.

Very well said!

Hopelandic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
me

'People' as in those knowledgeable of temperament and mbti?
No I don't think so. Most familiar with the infp as a working example (not just internet misrepresentations) view it quite objectively. I have heard plenty of descriptions of 'other types' not being under the impression that infps are fluffy. They would never dream to give the infp such a title of being so unselfish.
Those less familiar to the mbti may think so, but with time they learn that cognitive functions do not equal personality.

Yes, very much so. I have a bitter, dark side which I work hard to combat. It truly is an effort sometimes. But I don't enjoy hurting people or tarnishing my image, I suppose. That is very pubescent, I am aware. I am slowly letting people into my dark side...

I don't care anymore. People can live whatever life they'd wish to. Good luck to them. It's like that moment from the film version of 'into the wild' where Chris says, he could tell people they are heading down the wrong path, but he's not concerned with that anymore. That's me.

Yup.

Yes! I get random ideas all the time, particularly at night. Night mania...

Nah mate. I've met some really whacked people and people who are really similar to who I am. Am I unique? I don't care.

When I don't have negative feelings towards them, yes. I find it hard to watch films or docos because of this.

Somewhat. I'll give it a try, but I usually know within the first bar of 8 whether I'm going to like the song or not. Unless its classical, in which case I have to listen to the whole song to make up my mind.

Not in real life, but yes online I have.

Doesn't bother me.

lovely empty space

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yes.

Yeah, unfortunately my perceived shallowness in others tends to get me worked up sometimes.

I only get frustrated if they were to insist that those things are what really matter. Even though, after more thought I would remember that what's important to one person isn't always important to another.

Yes.

Yesss! I hate it so much. It happens anytime though, like I'll be on my way home from work and I'll actually feel compelled to do homework, but as soon as I get home, the feeling is gone and I don't do it.

Sort of, but not really.

Sometimes.

Sort of, but not really.

Only once, but we were both drunk, and it was after I told him my life story. :laugh:

Who knows.