• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP+INTJ=Disasterous Combo o' love

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
You have a point there, State. About indeed having a try rather than resting up too long inside the intuition.

Meanwhile, IRL I saw that same guy twice yesterday. See him? He's back again today. You see him too, don't you? What's up with that?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You have a point there, State. About indeed having a try rather than resting up too long inside the intuition.

the key to secondary /sp is to begin to believe that you won't self-destruct. that you can face the worst, and that the worst is rarely as the worst as it is in your own mind, your own deepest fears, your own nightmares.

yet the enfp feeling of lifting you up and getting you going and then leaving feels like those abandoned buildings past tijuana as you go further down into baja mexico. just capital failures. didn't really care to invest so much. for a mercurial, moody, iconoclastic 5w4 sx/sp, who believes most ardently in his own vision of the world, his own aesthetic and intellectual uniqueness, who has been rather dissatisfied with most of his previous relationship experiences and FINALLY opened up and started to let go, this feels like falling off a cliff.

i think the ability to take responsibility for your fall, however, to accept it and learn that it does not have to kill you (tho it is a form of death and something absolutely dies), would probably be the most freeing feeling in all the world. but that doesn't change the fuck you i'd feel to the rejector.

i'd refer now to the of montreal song "the past is a grotesque animal" and perhaps "she's a rejecter" and perhaps more generally to all of hissing fauna and other destroyers.

Meanwhile, IRL I saw that same guy twice yesterday. See him? He's back again today. You see him too, don't you? What's up with that?

of course, he's waving at me with his gold-capped teeth and his missing left-handed ring finger.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
After much back reading I will continue my search for nice INTJs (It seems there are quite a few in my thread!), and I just had the misfortune of stumbling across the type's ... less courteous members.

Hey, I'm one of the nice ones. Seriously.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does introverted intuition have a parallel limitation? Probably something like Ni is really poor at extracting the meaning of past events for it doesn't count them as real anymore.

Ni's proportional limitation is that it can't decide which of its extracted meanings actually applies to anything real. It gets caught up in questioning the unconscious bias in its perception of its own bias and ends up in an infinite loop of possible meanings, completely detached from the real world and immobilized by its own inability to ever gain a totally unbiased perspective free from any built-in assumptions.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Ni's proportional limitation is that it can't decide which of its extracted meanings actually applies to anything real. It gets caught up in questioning the unconscious bias in its perception of its own bias and ends up in an infinite loop of possible meanings, completely detached from the real world and immobilized by its own inability to ever gain a totally unbiased perspective free from any built-in assumptions.

Nahbutsee, I wasn't claiming Ne had a destructive limitation. Just a limitation, namely that it needs a sense of the past and the external present to operate. And it is on those things that it does operate.

Introverted intuition by contrast isn't bound by the past. Well, obviously, as State points out, Ni processes the past. Sorta. But so very indirectly that the past per se isn't under direct consideration at all. And the process kind of craps out if the past has to be considered directly because the past contributes nothing to today. That's to say, the past isn't subject to alteration by Je, so Ni doesn't and routinely can't be counted on to directly extract meaning. Since there is no Je focus available, Ni just doesn't give a damn. Yesterday is gone. Out of my reach.

The nightmare scenario like the one you describe above does indeed from time to time arrive, and it would be those times when the tertiary Ji rises up to overreach the auxiliary Je. Those times, oh yeah, past times ahoy! Crushing, traumatising revisitations and pointless looping reinventions.

WARNING: I HAVE SUSPICIONS THAT NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE.

/irony.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4

This is so far over my head it's not even funny.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nahbutsee, I wasn't claiming Ne had a destructive limitation. Just a limitation, namely that it needs a sense of the past and the external present to operate. And it is on those things that it does operate.

Introverted intuition by contrast isn't bound by the past. Well, obviously, as State points out, Ni processes the past. Sorta. But so very indirectly that the past per se isn't under direct consideration at all. And the process kind of craps out if the past has to be considered directly because the past contributes nothing to today. That's to say, the past isn't subject to alteration by Je, so Ni doesn't and routinely can't be counted on to directly extract meaning. Since there is no Je focus available, Ni just doesn't give a damn. Yesterday is gone. Out of my reach.

The nightmare scenario like the one you describe above does indeed from time to time arrive, and it would be those times when the tertiary Ji rises up to overreach the auxiliary Je. Those times, oh yeah, past times ahoy! Crushing, traumatising revisitations and pointless looping reinventions.

WARNING: I HAVE SUSPICIONS THAT NOT ALL OF THE ABOVE IS TRUE.

/irony.

I dunno--I think you've stuck some of Si's definition into Ne.

For me, Ne often behaves recklessly without regard to the past. In fact, it sometimes repeats the same mistakes because it figures this is a new day so maybe the same thing that didn't work last time will work this time due to some unseen changing conditions.

I don't think Ne on its own is very related to the past. Of course, all Ne users will have Si too, which will connect them to the past, but Ne itself is about changing the current environment into something new and different in the near future. Though admittedly it doesn't see as far ahead as Ni--Ne imagines a lot of different things that could potentially happen (but most of which will not) relatively soon, whereas Ni sees the one course of action that will happen over a very long time period.

To that end, Ne definitely needs a sense of the external present in order to consider how it might be changed into something else, but how does Ne relate to the past, exactly?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I dunno--I think you've stuck some of Si's definition into Ne.

I have! And I meant to too.

For me, Ne often behaves recklessly without regard to the past. In fact, it sometimes repeats the same mistakes because it figures this is a new day so maybe the same thing that didn't work last time will work this time due to some unseen changing conditions.

And that's why I deliberately linked Si and Ne. Ne needs a focuser, right? All perception functions need a focuser, and Ne has Ji. And how does Ji actually do that trick of focus long term?

Si is sense impressions. Sense impressions serve as markers for events. Recalling the events triggers a reflective Ji. Where normally the Ji is awash with Ne inputs, now it is on solid, unmoving ground. Ji goes to work and discovers answers, not just (technically) solipsistic chains of Ji, but firmly founded chains of Ji, and thus, actual conclusions. These become "values" for the user. Ji has a firmer footing on which to evaluate Ne inputs. It, for example, becomes possible to know that Ne is often reckless with respect to the past, and now with New Improved Reflective Ji, there is a means to move forward past some of that recklessness.

After all, what does an ENP do if they have no Si resource at all? Beyond the moment, they never conclude anything, never value anything, and never want anything except that there always be a new moment.

Now, if New Improved Reflective Ji is at work, Ne is freed to move up a little higher in the speculation stakes. What has been fixed as "valuable" by Ji+Si becomes a building block of broader, deeper speculation.

So, Ne is boosted by Si. (Some may wish to say Ne is curtailed by that Si, but--I speculate--that's tertiary temptation talking.)

(]Holy Crap! Those arguments zipped by way too fast to be true, didn't they?)

I don't think Ne on its own is very related to the past.

Agreed.

Of course, all Ne users will have Si too, which will connect them to the past, but Ne itself is about changing the current environment into something new and different in the near future.

Agreed.

Though admittedly it doesn't see as far ahead as Ni--Ne imagines a lot of different things that could potentially happen (but most of which will not) relatively soon[...]

Agreed.

But, and this is (part of) the hypothesis, the maturation of Si extends the vision of Ne.

Since these arguments are sketchy and use symbols, I proffer as actual proof... well... nothing, I guess. (Sorry, Wonk.)

I might actually not be saying anything more than, reflection upon the past helps ENPs understand more about what they value.

Chloe

have to agree...that is not the least bit true for me...i gots no si...really really don't...it's quite sad.

Me too.

I know when I meet someone new in RL and we talk he usually doesnt get why my life isnt perfect (if i complain)... i just figured out the other day that the severe lack of Si is making me such a mess. :doh:

as for ENFP-INTJ pairing... I have no expirience, but I was never attracted to any INTJ I met.. too different.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Kalach--

Good post. Agreed all around.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll tell you all a you one thing though...

It's a royal pain in the ass to have come upon an intuition that seems important and then have someone want to debate it. Debate? What the hell for? I haven't been bothering with this intuition for academic purposes, but for assessment of reality! Debate doesn't work. It merely raises all sides of the issue. What the hell was I doing with all that time with introverted intuition anyway that now I have to go back over it again?

Debate is for sissies.

Sure, you guys need to be in the moment to discover the meaning of something. You love the debate.

And sure, it will in fact very likely hone the proper presentation of the idea until the truth is clearly presented. Assuming of course that the debate hasn't spent most of it's time ruling out tiresome side issues and trying to win.

So what?

Introverted intuition tends to arrive at actionable claims. Debate delays the action.

Oh sure, the intuition might be wrong. But introverted intuition doesn't really spend all that much time making stuff up. It is focused already.

To debate is to delay.

And frequently, to misdirect.

That can be what happens when Ne meets Ni.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this most likely isn't true for all INTJ's, but what could be the reason behind these particularly annoying INTJs?

You mistype them? Introverted asshole = INTJ?

sculpting

yet the enfp feeling of lifting you up and getting you going and then leaving feels like those abandoned buildings past tijuana as you go further down into baja mexico. just capital failures. didn't really care to invest so much. for a mercurial, moody, iconoclastic 5w4 sx/sp, who believes most ardently in his own vision of the world, his own aesthetic and intellectual uniqueness, who has been rather dissatisfied with most of his previous relationship experiences and FINALLY opened up and started to let go, this feels like falling off a cliff.

wow. this sounds so familiar-except for me it was an ENTP who emo dumped waves of Fe at me, brought warped little Fi flaring to the surface, then wondered off after other shiny, not so pointed, objects.

Duct tape appears to have fixed most of the breaks, along with the super glue you can buy at the pharmacy to glue your own wounds together. Sorry State. Why do we Ne's wonder off in such a way chasing endless ideas? It is intoxicating, I suppose...:hug:

At a recent sales meeting, we discussed attention grabbing devices to be employed at the start of giving a presentation. One of them was "discordant events". Something that makes my brain go "chink". Ne-Ne plays endless tag down a forrest path. Ni serves as a discordant event to Ne and makes it stop and go huh? Also INTJs are better at halting NeFi emo than any other. They just say something funny, irreverent and disocrdant that totally knocks the Ne emo off track and usually makes me break out laughing, immediately ceasing the Ne-Fi circles of amplifying emo.

And the other side of the coin... well, there is another side of the coin, but I've been not finding ways to express it for two days now. Something about INTJs being hypersensitive to hints and clues of rejection and childishly (childlikely?) willing to pick up their armor and go home, calling the whole thing off. That tertiary temptation trick of "This will mar my soul!" tends to drive up the introverted feeling stakes.

Hehe, and if we like you we will quickly notice you are gone, spin on our heels, and skip along behind you peeking at you out of the corner of our eyes! "Where are you going silly ? Are you pouting???" and we will quietly wait for you. It becomes a game....(Hmmm, is this our version of flirting like the Fe's do?)

(On that note my IXTJ toddler can has more endurance in pouty petulant mode than any feeler I have ever seen. Sweet, silly smiley hugs, emo affirmation and tickles fix THAT problem.)

The total connection comes when both partners are up-ended. They've worked their way down through the functions, the IXTJ engaging Fi, the EXFP engaging Te, and then what? The inferior. If it were INTJ, he'd activate Se; but if it were ISTJ, he'd activate Ne, and speak directly to the ENFP's dominant function, and the connection is complete... for when the ISTJ takes the role of the Ne user, the ENFP can take the role of the Si user. The whole person is engaged. The meaning (found in Ne) of all that has been done (found in Si) is shared.

Whereas the INTJ would say, let's go dancing.

I have only seen one ISTJ tap into Ne-and he is under massive stress. I think that the Se-Si would be a more surmountable issue than the Ne-Si barrier. I can play with ISTJs, dazzle them, and we can commisurate in our Si -Fi pain points, but long term connection? Maybe, but my house is such a mess. Besides I like to dance!!

Forgive moi, but the stubborn part rests in the insistence of Ne, with a concomitant insistence on Si. Which is to say, dreams and wonders do not appear unless they're understandably prompted by immediate events. Meaning, deep in your hearts y'all ENFPs are as earth-bound as any ISTJ.

INTJs have a similar problem, but it's not that we're stubbornly connected to the past. No, INTJs stubbornly insist nothing is real unless it's happening right here right now.

If I may, once again, this is an Ne/Si philosophy... if I don't know details of real people, it can't have real meaning. Ask an ISTJ, get a similar, though far less liberal, assessment of meaning.

Interesting-earth bound. I Ne connect with entps as our internal functions complement so well. We round each other's ideas out and fill in the blind spots. How does this happen with Ne-Ni?

Anyways, the ideas prompt ideas prompt ideas-meaning I could be 25 layers from the earthbound idea within one minute leaving my ISTJs so far behind.

The INTJ "real people" comment might explain why Jung wasnt 100% at getting his ideas across. He would have these great Ni-Te ideas and then try and use a really stupid Se example of a particular person to illustrate and totally lose the point. I take the Ni-Te idea and then generalize it across whole groups uaing Ne-Fi-Te I guess? I dont need a specific instance except as a given data point??? Hmmm...

The alternative is the brighter burn of the two N's together. And you know what they say about burning twice as bright? That they have big feet.

But what if they know better? So that's why have this discussion has to be had... see the long range planning of it?

Hey only enfps get to make nonsensical Fi leaps of irrational silliness. Does that mean their feet merge into a vision of holistic, beautiful, neverending oneness? How many toes does it have?

Can we say "Te need" for structure, risk assessment and acknowledgment of the boundaries of the problem? What are the metrics/goals? What Ni-Te goal all this relationship stuff accomplish anyways?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hehe, and if we like you we will quickly notice you are gone, spin on our heels, and skip along behind you peeking at you out of the corner of our eyes! "Where are you going silly ? Are you pouting???" and we will quietly wait for you. It becomes a game....(Hmmm, is this our version of flirting like the Fe's do?)

Yeah, and that can go either way too, the frosty burn or the sigh and the explanation.

I have only seen one ISTJ tap into Ne-and he is under massive stress. I think that the Se-Si would be a more surmountable issue than the Ne-Si barrier.

Well see, there's two more likely conflict scenarios for INTJ/ENFP: Ne vs Se and Ne vs Ni.

Ni is an introverted function, so by and large it is done in private without much consultation. So the first conflict area for INTJ/ENFP is Ne vs Se. It goes like this:

- INTJ conceives of a plan (Ni+Te)
- INTJ worries aloud to supporting ENFP, seeking Fi.
- ENFP is entertained: Ne is making the connections, Fi is sharing the emo, and woo, Te is engaged and that's exciting.
- INTJ, supported, lights the afterburners, Se.
- ENFP is shut down.

See, INTJ Se is an end-stage device. The possibilities have been assessed, a plan has been devised, feeling is in place, so: act. At this stage the novelty and fluidity zone is all physical. The eyes see and seek immediately present options for completion of the set adventure. This is NOT a time for possibilities and intuitions. If it is, it means something has gone so wrong that the original plan has had to be re-assessed. Basically, INTJ in Se-mode is not listening to intuition and will not welcome it as a conscious interruption. The program has been set, the long-range stage management has been conceptualised, re-conceptualising is an out of place process here.

So what does an ENFP do at this point? Recoil, I guess. Certainly she is restricted in her involvement in the scene. I can't emphasize enough how little extroverted intuition is welcome at the end stage of a plan. The end stage is for doing, not second-guessing. The doing is not expected to create any surprises. It is expected to open up practical options for the next step of the plan. It is not meant to create new ideas, just new options. It actually will create new ideas, but it is the options that were the target. The INTJ will not welcome discussion of what it all means UNLESS the dictated action has been performed. Shut your mouth woman and perform.

And I'm not seeing an ENFP living too long--not more than several years anyway--with that kind of treatment.

It all gets worse however. At some point the INTJ will open up. He'll allow information out at earlier stages. Then instead of expecting the ENFP to ESFP-like join in at the end stage of the thinking process, the ENFP gets let in at the N-stage. She becomes part of his life. And it goes like this:

- ENFP and INTJ trade intuitions, riffing on possibilities.
- ENFP and INTJ balance each other on thinking and feeling, exciting each other with their support
- ENFP and INTJ engage in end-stage activities together, the ENFP being somewhat conservative in Si-mode and the INTJ being somewhat immaturely wild in Se-mode.
- they divorce after a few years.

Why? Because there's still that in-the-moment conflict. At the intuition stage Ni still gets over-whelmed with the sheer needless amount of tangential material to bat away from the ENFP, and either way focuses hard so the ENFP is always getting ideas knocked back. And down at the end stage stuff, there's still the Ne vs Se conflict because Si didn't last that long up against Se and all the in-the-momentness of it called Ne out to not-play.

All up, because there's the thinking feeling exchange, it's a situation that the ENFP can derive enough satisfaction from that she'll stick it out for several years. And during those years a sense of confinement and restriction will be a source of growing, unvoiced resentment. Eventually she'll have to be free. And the INTJ? Well, it depends how much of the INTJ's money the ENFP spent during those years.

Does an ISTJ do this crap any better? He's not supposed to, is he? ISTJ and ENFP get to negotiate in the middle of the story, do we do it the traditional way I know well or do we do it the unlikely and colorful new way you think might work. They get screwed if either the ISTJ really doesn't know anything about responding to feeling and/or the ENFP really doesn't know anything about planning.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^NFP with 10 years of INTJ. Personally, I admire and love both Te and Se. NiTe makes me Si feel safe and FiSe fuels my NeFi with its passion and let's it play. Besides, he's adorable when he goes all macho and executing :D

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^INFP with 20+ years of ESTJ. Personally I love both Te and Se too :wubbie:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I voice naught but the long-range conceptualizations of a single man.

And "single" has a convenient double meaning there. :jew:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Why? Because there's still that in-the-moment conflict. At the intuition stage Ni still gets over-whelmed with the sheer needless amount of tangential material to bat away from the ENFP, and either way focuses hard so the ENFP is always getting ideas knocked back.
Truth!

While engaging in conversations with an INTJ it can be frustrating for us ENFPs who want to dissect and explore several avenues/pathways, (yes, you can call them tangents), that come up during the dialogue.

Diaphanous Ni is on some delicate course that seems to be bombarded and distracted by hyper-inquisitive Ne. <-- I dunno if this makes sense to others but it makes sense to me. :/

Ne wants references, and seeks orientation.

Ne asks why and wants ideogrammatic answers.

Ne wants to probe as it peels.

Ne is interested in a layer of life, at a time, while Ni is interested in some pointed microcosm.