• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs dating SJs

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
It would depend on which SJ. I could probably be compatible with an ISFJ...But in all honesty ESFJs and ESTJs often tend to get on my nerves a lot, and ISTJ's I've known, while basically good people, were very robotic and totally unavailable emotionally (no offense to anyone who is those types, this is based only on people I've known in real life).

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I adore SJs as family, friends, and coworkers, but in a romantic relationship, I'm skeptical that it could work. I've been in probably five or six serious or semi-serious relationships and not a single one was SJ because the attraction was just not there for me. (I've been attracted to pretty much exclusively SPs and NPs.)

I don't want to sound harsh against SJs because I really do value their gifts. I'm an elementary school teacher and I absolutely love my little SJ students, particularly the ISFJs and ISTJs who are such sincere, responsible little worker bees.

And I don't want to make it sound like hard work is all there is to SJs because they do have a deeper, quirkier side to their personalities, but because of temperament that side of them comes in second to their work ethic and sense of responsibility. A lot of ISXJs have a fun, extraverted-sensing side that comes out once in a while to play. (Example: my conservative, traditional ISXJ parents announced out of the blue at my little sister's high school graduation that they were planning a trip to Las Vegas.) It just doesn't come out too often (they work first and only play if there's time).

Once after I was burned in a relationship, I actually made it a goal to date someone more like my ISTJ father, because he has always been caring, responsible, and devoted to my mother. I found myself a nice gentlemanly ISTJ and we started casually dating. He was ready to get more serious.... but I just couldn't do it! I felt bad but I had to break it off. Maybe an extraverted NF would have had better luck, but for me, I tend toward being too serious and regimented as it is, so I really need a partner who can help me access my fun, goofy side.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One more thought -- I think I'm also incompatible with SJs because I'm messy and so many of them highly value a clean, orderly environment. I'm not a total slob or anything but a certain amount of clutter simply does not bother me. In fact I'm usually happily oblivious to it -- I guess that blindspot Se doesn't notice a whole hell of a lot in my external environment, lol. My SP partner and I make for quite a messy household! The funny thing is that while clutter doesn't bother me, it does bother him... but he just doesn't feel like expending energy to do anything about it, lol. We've ended up springing for maid service and that helps us keep the disorder at bay.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Boring...ignorant...understanding problems with N's...

not always boring.. ignorant, yes, but by choice many times, i think.
understanding problems for sure..mostly because they're stubbornly rooted in their own perspective and don't want to be wrong. ive known a couple SJs that were pretty disposed toward projection, and blaming others in general.

Most SJs I have known have become possessive of their relationships. I noticed for a lot of them that the moment the relationship broke off, they began continually testing the boundaries, as if to determine if it was really over. If they had an emotional attachment, then some of them would even pretend the break up had never occurred. In my experience, all these things coupled together make for a potential stalker.

this is all too easy for me to relate to. bad news.
though to the SJ's credit i think they become desperate because they really have a tough time understanding just what our NF perspective is. if only they would more often try to see things in a new light before shit hits the fan. it's like the SJ and NF are on two different wavelengths in time.

on the positive side, i have to say SJs can be a great help to their sloppier NF counterparts in many ways, and in rare moments are pretty funny (if unintentionally).

Unique

...this thread is not about SPs! Stop making this about you :)

FWIW, my experience with ISxPs has been slightly better, but with its own set of issues. Never dated an ESxP. And not particularly interested in my mate being "cool."

Not sure what cool means in america... gangster or something? lol

But hey whatever, I'm not making this thread about SPs I'm just giving my opinion which is that I think two N's would give each other headaches bahahaha

My close friend (ENFP) was with an ESFP for over a year, would of probably continued to work out if it wasn't for a sleezy ISTP friend and if she was a bit more mature

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But hey whatever, I'm not making this thread about SPs I'm just giving my opinion which is that I think two N's would give each other headaches bahahaha
Not at all. I feel invigorated, especially after speaking with an N-dom. I think "if only all conversations could be this nice..."

amelie

MBTI Type
XNFJ
Sometimes I think it would be nice to have an S partner to balance out things. I'm an NF married to an NT, and it's great in a lot of ways. However, neither of us is big into cleaning the house, mowing the yard, paying the bills; that stuff is a big chore that we both just have to struggle through. Meanwhile, my ESTJ friend & her INTJ hubby always have everything spic and span perfect. I'm not saying I regret my choices at all, I'm just saying there could be advantages to having someone more grounded in day to day stuff as a partner if you were inclined that way.

Last edited:
G

garbage

I am an ENFP... Was with an ISFJ for 5 years right down to owning a home together and everything... the whole nine yards...

oh my god that describes my ISFJ mother pretty much down to the last detail

She and my ISTJ boss are the two most prominent SJs in my life, though I know a lot more through my church-related activities. I can never, ever date someone with that mindset.

Unique

Not at all. I feel invigorated, especially after speaking with an N-dom. I think "if only all conversations could be this nice..."

To each their own I guess, I usually have deep conversations though and I think thats more of a taste thing than an S/N thing

Assuming you are talking about deep and meaningful conversations

Also that ENFP I was talking about is usually the one annoying ME with pointless mindless garbage

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
not always boring.. ignorant, yes, but by choice many times, i think.
understanding problems for sure..mostly because they're stubbornly rooted in their own perspective and don't want to be wrong. ive known a couple SJs that were pretty disposed toward projection, and blaming others in general.

this is all too easy for me to relate to. bad news.
though to the SJ's credit i think they become desperate because they really have a tough time understanding just what our NF perspective is. if only they would more often try to see things in a new light before shit hits the fan. it's like the SJ and NF are on two different wavelengths in time.

on the positive side, i have to say SJs can be a great help to their sloppier NF counterparts in many ways, and in rare moments are pretty funny (if unintentionally).

Excellent observation, I've read before that different types percieve time differently. Their preffered time zones are something like this, sorry too lazy to look it up.

NT and NF - future
SP - present
SJ - past

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I don't think I could venture this one again. Not for very long anyways. However, I do need SJs in my life to keep me grounded and strengthen my backbone.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
phthalocyanine said:

Um... why do you assume that they're the ones who should try to see things in a "new light?" Stalking is bad. But it's not related to type. And it certainly isn't a result of unenlightened SJs who just can't understand the depths of their NF partners.

Excellent observation, I've read before that different types percieve time differently. Their preffered time zones are something like this, sorry too lazy to look it up.

NT and NF - future
SP - present
SJ - past

I've read that before too, and I think it's silly. Always sounded to me like a "polite" way for Ns to say Ss lack imagination and foresight. And for the record, I'm much more interested in the past than the future.

I'm not an SJ, but some of these comments are really making me wish I were.

Pre-emptive EDIT: I know I'll want to find some way to soften this response after I've thought about it. Just don't feel like it right now.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Um... why do you assume that they're the ones who should try to see things in a "new light?" Stalking is bad. But it's not related to type. And it certainly isn't a result of unenlightened SJs who just can't understand the depths of their NF partners.

I've read that before too, and I think it's silly. Always sounded to me like a "polite" way for Ns to say Ss lack imagination and foresight. And for the record, I'm much more interested in the past than the future.

I'm not an SJ, but some of these comments are really making me wish I were.

Pre-emptive EDIT: I know I'll want to find some way to soften this response after I've thought about it. Just don't feel like it right now.

It seemed pretty true to me though, there were alot of real life situations that helped confirm this.

My esfp best friend is always talking about living in the moment.

My SJ uncle is always talking about "the old style" and he is still replaying his music collection from the 70's, daily, you'd think 30 years is enough to get played out.

and there is a famous quote from my favorite intuitive scientist, Nikola Tesla,
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” They say he was probably an intj.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
It seemed pretty true to me though, there were alot of real life situations that helped confirm this.

My esfp best friend is always talking about living in the moment.

My SJ uncle is always talking about "the old style" and he is still replaying his music collection from the 70's, daily, you'd think 30 years is enough to get played out.

and there is a famous quote from my favorite intuitive scientist, Nikola Tesla,
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” They say he was probably an intj.

But those are specific examples. I have examples that could be used to confirm the same (my SJ aunt is into genealogy) or that go against the theory (so is my NF mother). Personally, I love history, old music, old movies, old everything, so that could hardly be called a "future-focus."

I will grant one thing though: it is probably harder for someone with inferior Se to "live in the moment." But (and maybe I'm reading too much into it) it always seems that the S/N = past/future argument has less to do with function than it has to do with suggesting a person (an SJ) is "stuck in an old way of thinking." It seems to me that Ni and Si can be used equally to imagine (or remember) the past or predict the future - they would just have different ways that they do it.

I am sorry that I seemed to go after your quote specifically. :blush: You were one of the most recent posters on the subject, and became the target for me to air a general annoyance of mine.

Snow Turtle

When I was in a relationship with my INFJ friend. I often worried about whether I was too boring for her, and oddly enough I've had the few occasions where she would reflect that attitude back.

Often we talked about school, and daily stuff to link us together but when that ran out, there would occasionally be silence. One of the reasons that I often worried that I bored her was because she possessed a huge imagination, one that I could never match and there was a lot of self-induced pressure to try do so. It never came.

There were alot of times where I would be content with just being around another person, and minding my own business than having a huge conversation with someone. After all I learn most stuff through the internet. Talking for me was more a case of sharing, questioning and relating rather than debating a stance since most topics that I'm interested in I've already formed an opinion, and those that I don't I would just sit and listen to absorb as much as possible before giving an answer.

It's weird. I don't actually know what I'm usually thinking off often, sitting blankly starring off into space. Random thoughts that come and then pass through. It's odd that I believe that I am boring, but at the same time I don't shy away from difficult conversations (As long as it's not politics)

Perhaps all this was more an indicator of anxiety and introversion rather than sensing, all I know is that I suck at your usual banter and conversations that occur which may or may not be related to a lack of life experience especially with music, films and so fourth.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I see where you're coming from. Intuitive snobbiness is a huge turnoff to me as well. I think sensing is just as great a gift as intuition, and often I bemoan my intuition in the real world, practical matters I face day-to-day.

However, I do think there is something to the SJ - past, SP - present, NF/NT - future deal. I have a lot of trouble living in the moment because I'm always looking ahead. I seriously have to remind myself regularly to loosen up and enjoy the present. My ESTP partner is excellent at living in the moment but sometimes seems unaware of how current actions can affect future consequences. And my ISFJ mother is very past focused and loves to reflect on old times. Out of all of us she seems the one closest connected to the memories of relatives who have died. One of her favorite hobbies is genealogy. So I do think there is something to that theory, but I agree with you that it shouldn't be used for snobbish purposes. looking to the past, present, and future each have unique benefits and challenges.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Kai, your whole post is sooo familiar, sounds just like me!

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
So you're saying it's a lack of feeling that you have something interesting to contribute, as well as that conversation serves a different purpose for you than it does for us? I never knew that.

I think the processing aloud with the back and forth helps us to clarify or even trigger new thoughts, whereas most of your thinking happens internally and on your own. When nothing is said back, I generally feel that I am boring the other person and need to change topics or quit entirely because they are disinterested in what I want to think out loud about.

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So you're saying it's a lack of feeling that you have something interesting to contribute, as well as that conversation serves a different purpose for you than it does for us? I never knew that.

Exactly - I don't really know HOW to think out loud, my brain just does it all internally. If I ask questions it's more of a learning thing than a deciding thing, unlike many types.

I think the processing aloud with the back and forth helps us to clarify or even trigger new thoughts, whereas most of your thinking happens internally and on your own. When nothing is said back, I generally feel that I am boring the other person and need to change topics or quit entirely because they are disinterested in what I want to think out loud about.

Ditto for me, if I'm trying to talk and the other person gazes off into space or whatever it can feel intimidating. The funny thing about this board is that so many of the other types constantly talk about wanting deep conversations about books and philosophy, all sorts of topics, and imply that SJs are shallow and uninterested in imagination. I may not be good at the super abstract things but I LOVE talking about books and am very widely read. I think most people IRL are just not as interested in books or anything that requires too much thought, due to various ways society is set up to (mal)function nowadays.

Actually it is very frustrating to be a girl TJ because the way I naturally am is so unexpected to people that they seem to think I am either a. Know-it-all because I like talking about facts or b. stuck up/boring because I don't talk much. I love running into people who love to explore topics thoroughly and I also like being around people who can easily chatter a lot and take a little of the burden off me.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
*subscribes to thread*

When I capture my ENFP I will have more input to add. :D:D:D I just have to come up with a scheme that will work! But I estimate it will be around October/November. ;)