• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ -Your heart is on your sleeve

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as most of you. I haven't been told that I wear my heart on my sleeve, per se. People just tell me what they assume that I'm thinking. And they are usually correct. Sometimes I play it off and scoff, but yeah, they pinned me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People come to strange conclusions about my expressions. In some ways I have been told I have an expressive face and in other ways I have an unusual ability to hide my feelings. I guess the intersection between those two features leaves unexpected impressions.

harmonyizmine

People come to strange conclusions about my expressions. In some ways I have been told I have an expressive face and in other ways I have an unusual ability to hide my feelings. I guess the intersection between those two features leaves unexpected impressions.
I find this really interesting. I never thought of it this way. I would love to see what everyone sees and if I am in fact expressing what I'm feeling or if it's some other odd expression.

Have you ever been told that you look angry when you are really deep in thought?

S

Sniffles

Have you ever been told that you look angry when you are really deep in thought?
Yes all the time. One co-worker even thought I hated him or something because of the look on my face when in fact I was actually contemplating something completely different.

G

Glycerine

I don't think it's just an INFJ thing. I have known many INFPs, EXFJs, and 1 ISFP that wear their emotions on their sleeve. I think Fi can be just as expressive as Fe in that department sometimes. But it probably has to do w/ many factors outside of MBTI.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find this really interesting. I never thought of it this way. I would love to see what everyone sees and if I am in fact expressing what I'm feeling or if it's some other odd expression.

Yes I have. For me intense thought can be misconstrued as anger as can an attempt to muster the strength to get cleaning done when I need to run on adrenaline. Deep depression is misconstrued as peacefulness, and anxiety as whatever suits the person observing. I guess happiness comes off fairly straight unless it is a deeper form in which case I seem more reserved. The worst one is when I am socially shy and people take offense as though it means something negative. I've been told I had the sweetest face someone ever saw, that I was the toughest one in the department, that I was sarcastic, fragile, narrow, tenacious, judgmental, broad minded, too nice, a stick up my butt, a fun girl, peaceful and tranquil presence, seemingly anxious and lost, etc. There are so many contradictory things people have accused me of being, that I have mostly just given up about it.

The best theory I came up with is that I am mostly a blank canvass, with an underlying expressive tone which brings out other people's imaginations and fears. They each paint their own ideas onto me. I came up with that idea when studying Freudian psychology (which I don't fully subscribe to) because in that process the counselor deliberately makes themselves a blank canvass to draw out the patient's tendency to project and therefore self-discover.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I don't think it's just an INFJ thing. I have known many INFPs, EXFJs, and 1 ISFP that wear their emotions on their sleeve. I think Fi can be just as expressive as Fe in that department sometimes. But it probably has to do w/ many factors outside of MBTI.

Oh yeah. Having a fair complexion and blushing easily is not a good thing, especially if you have friends and colleagues who enjoy teasing you about it :tongue:

harmonyizmine

Toonia & Peguy:
I too get asked why I am angry when I'm seriously contemplating something.

I wonder why it gets perceived as being angry? Is the look too intense? Have you thought about this?

Oh, to be like a video game and be able to view things in third person :)

Yes I have. For me intense thought can be misconstrued as anger as can an attempt to muster the strength to get cleaning done when I need to run on adrenaline.
Wow, so this might be why my husband asks me why I am angry or stressed out while cleaning when I am really on a mission to get it done so I can relax.

harmonyizmine

I've wondered this. I mentioned earlier I wonder how much of it is nature and how much is nurture and environmental factors during your life.

harmonyizmine

I've been told I had the sweetest face someone ever saw, that I was the toughest one in the department, that I was sarcastic, fragile, narrow, tenacious, judgmental, broad minded, too nice, a stick up my butt, a fun girl, peaceful and tranquil presence, seemingly anxious and lost, etc. There are so many contradictory things people have accused me of being, that I have mostly just given up about it.

The best theory I came up with is that I am mostly a blank canvass, with an underlying expressive tone which brings out other people's imaginations and fears. They each paint their own ideas onto me. I came up with that idea when studying Freudian psychology (which I don't fully subscribe to) because in that process the counselor deliberately makes themselves a blank canvass to draw out the patient's tendency to project and therefore self-discover.

You edited your post while I was responding :D

I've heard a lot of those terms too.

Your theory is really interesting. So it is possible that people are viewing your expressions through their lens of life experiences, etc.