• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs -- Are you BORED?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Sparked by but not to be confused with that other thread :rolleyes: , I was wondering NF's, are you bored???

I'm not asking if you think other people find you dull, I'm asking you do you find other people dull? Do you find the world dull? Are you easily bored? Are you currently in a lull? Do you need constant external stimulation? Do you always need a new person, a new project, a new problem to keep you interested? Do you find conflict exciting whether you are in it or observing? Are you the kind who is never bored either because you can amuse yourself, you like peace and quiet, or you always find 'the next new thing'? What do you need to feel engaged and not bored?

These aren't exact questions I'd like you to answer, but just to get the ball rolling.

Also, when you answer it would be helpful to share your type and throw out an age estimate and give examples... Also if you could share how you've changed (or not) since adolescence in this regard.

Hope that's clear!

And yes, non-NF's you are free to jump in, I like providing pleasant diversion to all types. :smile:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Sparked by but not to be confused with that other thread :rolleyes: , I was wondering NF's, are you bored???

I'm not asking if you think other people find you dull, I'm asking you do you find other people dull? Do you find the world dull? Are you easily bored? Are you currently in a lull? Do you need constant external stimulation? Do you always need a new person, a new project, a new problem to keep you interested? Do you find conflict exciting whether you are in it or observing? Are you the kind who is never bored either because you can amuse yourself, you like peace and quiet, or you always find 'the next new thing'? What do you need to feel engaged and not bored?

These aren't exact questions I'd like you to answer, but just to get the ball rolling.

Also, when you answer it would be helpful to share your type and throw out an age estimate and give examples... Also if you could share how you've changed (or not) since adolescence in this regard.

Hope that's clear!

And yes, non-NF's you are free to jump in, I like providing pleasant diversion to all types. :smile:
I understand boredom of the way of your description.. is the existential thing.

There is no word in reference to the existential kind of boredom in the English language.

The word in Italian is la noia and in French l'ennui.

> the vacant component is of the other party. It means your environment is empty.
Not you.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
:sleeping:

I'm asking you do you find other people dull? Do you find the world dull? Are you easily bored? Are you currently in a lull? Do you need constant external stimulation? Do you always need a new person, a new project, a new problem to keep you interested? Do you find conflict exciting whether you are in it or observing? Are you the kind who is never bored either because you can amuse yourself, you like peace and quiet, or you always find 'the next new thing'? What do you need to feel engaged and not bored?

Hope that's clear!

As I wrote in that other thread that I am very often bored. I need new experiences and stimulation or new interesting subjects to keep going. I don't find people usually boring (except boring people :D).

Last edited:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I believe ENFPs are some of the most acutely bored people in the world.
I would say that EPs are the most sensitive to boredom as a whole quadrant.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Life is so full of fascinating ideas... I can't imagine being bored!

I'm a typical quiet, reserved, 42-year old, INFP, and like I said before, I truly cannot say that I have ever been bored my whole entire life. I enjoy sitting alone on my porch for hours on end watching the squirrels and birds quarrel in my tree; I enjoy people-watching immensely; I can flip through channels and actually find things that hold my interest, and I read (or listen to music) all the time, so there is always plenty of things to read (or listen to) in my home, work and car. And if that doesn't hold my attention, than napping is a perfect viable option! Oh, of course, now there is the Internet, so there you go. :smile:

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP

Yeah. I get bored pretty easily. I'm an ENFP and 20 years old.

Alcealos's description sounded fairly accurate. I find it difficult to sit by myself without anything to do. As much as I love music, only my very favouritest songs can get me to listen to them for the whole three or four minute length of the song without feeling the need to do something else. If I want to listen to music for it's own sake, I'll usually find something mindless to occupy myself while mostly concentrating on the music. If I'm on the computer, it'll probably be playing one of those card games like solitaire or free cell. I don't really need to pay them that much attention to be able to do them.

Computers are great, and I think I'm a little too dependant on mine. But there's always something new to explore or see or do when you have access to the internet. (I usually find myself gravitating towards forums like this, actually, for any sort of prolonged interaction - I do need the human contact, even if it's through a screen and text) But I've also noticed that I get very quickly bored of my computer if I don't have internet access. I might spend an hour at most a day on the computer (probably broken up into ten-minute bits throughout the day), in that case. There's just nothing for me to do.

People, yeah, I usually don't find any interaction with people boring, but when it's not exciting and dynamic (or I'm around a group of people I'm unfamiliar with, thus have little to talk to them about), I tend to just sit back and listen to conversation. Which can also be interesting, but more than an hour of that and I find myself wishing I was elsewhere so I could occupy myself better. (Actually, I found myself in this situation tonight. I'm also starting to wonder if I really have anything in common with most of my high-school friends anymore... :/ But another story for another time.)

Strangely enough, reading can hold me in thrall for hours and hours and hours like not much else. If a book is interesting and engaging, I will happily read for about 6 hours straight (or until I start to get hungry and stiff). And then I'll read another 6 hours! Usually sleep is the first thing to get sacrificed for the sake of the book. I read quickly, and can usually get through most books in a day or two, maximum. But while I'm reading a good book, I can actually be quite focused and hard to distract. I don't think there's many other things that absorb me so entirely.

Of course, I rarely have the time, so I don't read very often.

Umm. This getting bored easily is also why I struggle to work productively. In the middle of whatever I happen to be working on (and say it's an essay, sometimes in the middle of a sentence), I'll feel the need to just change whatever I happen to be doing. Often I'll play a card game (i'm rather addicted to those little things) or suddenly remember I need to check my email or turn on my iTunes, and so I'll go do that, and after jumping from tangent to tangent for ten or fifteen minutes, I'll finally get back to my work.

Yeah, I'm doing stuff like that even writing this paragraph. I went and turned my iTunes on between writing things in the above paragraph and adding the )! :p

That covers most of it. I've learned to adapt, a little - I almost always keep notepad and paper with me so I can jot down random ideas and thoughts that I come across or need to remember later (cause me remembering to do something later is always a very chancey thing).

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I love the world! Its amazing! I think some things are being hurt in the world, and it makes me sad (i.e. forests being cut down), but all in all the world is a great palce and I love it. I think people are really interesting too, as long as I don't have to be surrounded by them all the time :9436:

I can have a blast talking to a good friend, or just watching the snow fall :)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If I don't have something to read, a story to watch or listen to, then, yes, I can and do get bored. Thanks mostly to free podcast novels it doesn't happen often.

Edit: I'm 37 and I've pretty much always been this way.

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
I'm an INFJ, 24 years old. I would say that I rarely get bored. If no one else is around, I can easily entertain myself with books, the internet, art projects, organizing, and a number of different things.

Very occasionally I'll get a little antsy, when I feel the drive to get out and converse with people. This antsy-ness usually only comes on when I'm actively avoiding thinking about something unpleasant, like a break-up or studying for an exam.

The only time that I'll actually feel bored is when I'm in a social gathering where I feel that people are being "fake" (i.e. engaging in mundane chit chat, pretending to be interested in something when it's obvious to me that they aren't, etc.). I have a very sensitive "bullshit" meter, so when it's going off, I quickly lose interest in the person I'm sensing the bullshit coming from. But, even at these times, I'm not truly bored. Instead, I'm off in my head, entertained by my own thoughts.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a 30 yo ENFJ and I'm rarely bored. In fact, I find it more distressing that I can't pack MORE information into my head any given day. I've often wondered if I have some sort of obsessive-compulsive data gathering problem. Seriously. I can't stop.

Restless, yes. Horribly restless. Always have been, but not bored. My ENFP sister is almost never bored either, but we have the unfair advantage of twins entertaining each other. She likes more "face time" than me (I need a lot of alone time every day) but she's also pretty self-entertaining.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
So bored. I seem to operate in cycles whereby I need radical change every 2 years. I'm about 6 months overdue for a radical change. So yeah, I'm pretty bored. If someone were to offer me a radically different, plausible option which was even slightly appealing I'm sure I would jump at it. In fact, I'm dangerously suggestible atm.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I get bored every now and than but this damn New England weather sucks sometimes it snows and the next day is 75 degrees outside.:shock: Eithere way when i notice that a boredom has been around for a little too long I do a big change in my life to give myself a fresh feeling.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe. I get up and do stuff very often. So if I didn't take it upon myself to find entertainment/stimulation, then, probably.

I know that when I was a little kid I got bored very easily though.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I'm into existentialism. And I guess that would make me bored with everything in general, lol. I'm highly pessimistic and I realize that may not be the best way of going through life. But over the past few years I've realized that it takes a lot for me to appear to be interested in things. I just don't have any enthusiasm about much. Then I start to feel weird because I don't want to act this way. Then that's when my dark thoughts slowly start looming in like clouds.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yup. Easily bored and hate every minute of it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

Boredom is chronic not acute :).

The world needs more interesting, deep and exciting stimuli. And the more you learn, the harder it becomes to find. Maybe like being a heroin addict; the more I understand, the bigger dose I need to get off on it.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Frequently bored! But at the same time, I wonder if I am wasting my life away just "doing stuff." But if I'm not "doing stuff," then I wonder if I am wasting my life away being bored. I don't know. I think I am hard on myself in this regard. Part of it is my hatred of being bored and part of it is the pressure I feel to live an extraordinary life. I don't want to miss a moment of excitement that I could be missing because of my lack of motivation to go find it... so constantly on the go I must be...

Atomic Fiend

Hope that's clear!

Reading your blog it'd be hard to imgaine you as bored.

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
NFs--Are you BORED?

Hope that's clear!

I'm rarely, if ever, bored. I can spend hours wandering the internal terrain and I find people endlessly interesting (unless, of course, they're not). Then there's always writing, reading, music.

I lived mostly in my imagination from grade school on and continue to do so, though I've become more interested in rl people as I grow older.

Midget

MBTI Type
ENFP
Yes, sometimes I feel stuck in a rut and bored...but not ALWAYS. :p Usually I go do something, get a change of scenery, or some form of stimulation, and I feel better fairly quickly.