• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and sleep problems

verdeviola

I am an INFJ. Most of the times i cannot sleep because i am too sensitive to every little noise (that other people don't even notice) so, in order to sleep, i need complete silence...often i cannot turn my mind off (i am an over-thinker and tend to worry too much).
Do you guys have similar problems? How do you cope with that?

P.S: sometimes i cannot stand people talking any more, i hear their voice hammering in my head and I just need silence and dark, so i have to go into my bedroom and shut out light and noise.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I believe this is more of an Fe thing.

"Kathy Myers sparked this one. We were talking about Stonehenge (where I got married), and she related how she was disappointed when she visited Stonehenge because it was so crowded. But she says she shrugged and simply "tuned-out" all the other people so that, in her mind, she had Stonehenge all to herself and enjoyed it that way...

Kathy's preferences are for INFP, and what came up for me is that I don't think INFJs can "tune out" other people in that way. I think it's nearly impossible for INFJs to "disconnect" from the humanity around them. They overhear arguments and crying babies and flirting and all manner of interactions within the slightest earshot. Public transportation and restaurants can be raw experiences, depending on what kind of interactions they "tune" into. (Unless they're trying to solve a problem, of course, at which point INFJs can shut out everything like closing a door!)

The reason I offer this as a possible way of sorting between INFP and INFJ is that an INFJ's Fe (extraverted Feeling) is naturally attuned to social situations. It's where our radar operates, in conjunction with our extraverted Sensing that naturally soaks up external stimulation. On the other hand, INFP's Fi (introverted Feeling) is tuned into their inner values. They possess the ability to "disconnect" from what's going on around them and shut everything out in order to commune with themselves without interruption.
"

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't have insomnia or any major sleep issues, and I don't think that is a type-specific issue, but I do usually have to focus specifically on turning my mind off while trying to fall asleep. My brain seems to want to keep going while the rest of me is shut down.

verdeviola

I think it could be Ni too. Sometimes i wish i had an off-button to stop my thoughts or just to get instanct silence. I think i'm never thinking about "nothing". Maybe the only moment i think "less" is when i stare off into space (which happens quite often, when i am under stress).
I can think of many things, while i'm driving/walking and singing in my head at the same time! Often i cannot pull a song out of my mind for the whole day and i still have it in mind when i go to sleep.
This is kind of weird..:shock:
Does this happens to you too?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
White noise?

I run a fan every night, no matter how cold it is. I need that sound to calm my mind when I sleep.

I stretch before bed, and do some deep breathing.

Yo could cut down on caffeine. Sometimes lack of sleep can get you into an overconsumptive cycle with it.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
White noise?

I run a fan every night, no matter how cold it is. I need that sound to calm my mind when I sleep.

I stretch before bed, and do some deep breathing.

Yo could cut down on caffeine. Sometimes lack of sleep can get you into an overconsumptive cycle with it.

I need to have some kind of fan on to drown out other miscellaneous noises.

verdeviola

I believe this is more of an Fe thing.

"Kathy Myers sparked this one. We were talking about Stonehenge (where I got married), and she related how she was disappointed when she visited Stonehenge because it was so crowded. But she says she shrugged and simply "tuned-out" all the other people so that, in her mind, she had Stonehenge all to herself and enjoyed it that way...

Kathy's preferences are for INFP, and what came up for me is that I don't think INFJs can "tune out" other people in that way. I think it's nearly impossible for INFJs to "disconnect" from the humanity around them. They overhear arguments and crying babies and flirting and all manner of interactions within the slightest earshot. Public transportation and restaurants can be raw experiences, depending on what kind of interactions they "tune" into. (Unless they're trying to solve a problem, of course, at which point INFJs can shut out everything like closing a door!)

The reason I offer this as a possible way of sorting between INFP and INFJ is that an INFJ's Fe (extraverted Feeling) is naturally attuned to social situations. It's where our radar operates, in conjunction with our extraverted Sensing that naturally soaks up external stimulation. On the other hand, INFP's Fi (introverted Feeling) is tuned into their inner values. They possess the ability to "disconnect" from what's going on around them and shut everything out in order to commune with themselves without interruption.
"

That's true..I cannot disconnect..I cannot not listen to the TV or to someone who is speaking, even if i am really tired..and this sometimes leads to the "hammering" in my head.
I don't drink coffe at all, because i know my level of arousal is already high..
:blush:

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
I am an INFJ. Most of the times i cannot sleep because i am too sensitive to every little noise (that other people don't even notice) so, in order to sleep, i need complete silence...often i cannot turn my mind off (i am an over-thinker and tend to worry too much).
Do you guys have similar problems? How do you cope with that?

P.S: sometimes i cannot stand people talking any more, i hear their voice hammering in my head and I just need silence and dark, so i have to go into my bedroom and shut out light and noise.

I listen to talk radio at night, it helps my mind focus on one topic rather than 15 at once. For me, it's almost as if my brain is out of sync with my body when it comes to sleep, my body is burnt out while my brain is too busy analyzing the information at days end... And waking has the opposite affect.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I often have some time periods when I have trouble with sleeping, for example right now. Just having to think and to think and to think about all and nothing when lying in bed. I cannot shut down really. But after some time, how long it ever may be (and it can be hours sometimes, though that is then really the worse scenarios), I will finally find sleep. Then again I consume lots of caffeine, probably not the cleverst thing to do :) In general I need more time to find sleep than any other people I know (but well, SO many people's sleeping habits I don't know either :p). But it is not that I have that trouble all the time, sometimes I can get to sleep relative normal.

Don't know about noise. I want to keep out noise when possible, but when I hear the TV from other room a bit I don't care too much I think. Of course not when there is really loud noise.

verdeviola

I listen to talk radio at night, it helps my mind focus on one topic rather than 15 at once. For me, it's almost as if my brain is out of sync with my body when it comes to sleep, my body is burnt out while my brain is too busy analyzing the information at days end... And waking has the opposite affect.

The same for me! :hug:
I could try soccer matches..they make my eyelids fall (sooo boring!)
And usually nothing interesting is being said. :D

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
The same for me! :hug:
I could try soccer matches..they make my eyelids fall (sooo boring!)
And usually nothing interesting is being said. :D

Crossword and suduko puzzles work well too.

verdeviola

I often have some time periods when I have trouble with sleeping, for example right now. Just having to think and to think and to think about all and nothing when lying in bed. I cannot shut down really. But after some time, how long it ever may be (and it can be hours sometimes, though that is then really the worse scenarios), I will finally find sleep. Then again I consume lots of caffeine, probably not the cleverst thing to do :) In general I need more time to find sleep than any other people I know (but well, SO many people's sleeping habits I don't know either :p). But it is not that I have that trouble all the time, sometimes I can get to sleep relative normal.

Don't know about noise. I want to keep out noise when possible, but when I hear the TV from other room a bit I don't care too much I think. Of course not when there is really loud noise.

I don't have it all the time, either..let's say, often..
I have read (don't remember where) that this could be more of an introverts' problem. Introverts seem to have more sleep problems because they have troubles with "disconnecting" their minds...

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i feel this at times, like a mild upper feeling. echoes. the connections are a little too loud to become drowsy. i used to occasionally have more trouble with the lights off, bc my mind would wake up.

it also helps to realize that you want a good night's sleep, to focus in a positive way on calming yourself, listening to your body, etc. it's really a fine line between letting your mind wander and drift, and awakening yourself with new thoughts. letting them go can be done.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I spent an entire month without sleep when I was around 19. I tried to sleep but had lost the habit of it.

A doctor recommended quiet evenings without computer work, watching a bit of tv or reading in bed. Reading in bed is good. It works well.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't consistently have problems; it more has to do with how much I have going on in my life that is either stressing me out or overstimulating/exciting me, and in either of those instances, I can have some serious difficulty turning my brain off at night, so can lie awake for a solid 2-3 hrs, mind spinning, before finally falling asleep. But generally speaking, I'd say 75-80% of the time I don't have problems sleeping.

Also I think it partly ties to hormones; it's almost a given, a few days a month, that I'll experience the same thing, but it's not really related to any external situation.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is a fun exercise one of my Psych Professors taught us to do when we're attempting to go to sleep. It's good for clearing your thoughts when your mind is racing:

Go down the alphabet and list one thing you are grateful for that starts with each letter. It should be more than just listing.

Example:
"A... Apple. I'm thankful for apples. Oooooo especially the green ones!"
"B... Breakfast. Most important meal of the day. Mmmm pankcakes..."

Make sure it's positive things, though. It's not really as effective if you change it to "things I despise" or something negative like that. When she taught it to us I didn't think it would work, but it has definitely put me to sleep when I couldn't on my own. I don't even remember what letter I usually leave off on.

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have trouble with sleep because I have nightmares. It's the curse of having an over-active imagination ;P

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've always had trouble getting to sleep. My current way of dealing with it is taking a very low (300mcg) dose melatonin supplement a little while before bed, then reading or listening to an audio book until I feel drowsy. Sometimes the book thing doesn't work because if I get engrossed in the story, I can read all night. I'd be in trouble if I couldn't take naps.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
This is a fun exercise one of my Psych Professors taught us to do when we're attempting to go to sleep. It's good for clearing your thoughts when your mind is racing:

Go down the alphabet and list one thing you are grateful for that starts with each letter. It should be more than just listing.

Example:
"A... Apple. I'm thankful for apples. Oooooo especially the green ones!"
"B... Breakfast. Most important meal of the day. Mmmm pankcakes..."

Make sure it's positive things, though. It's not really as effective if you change it to "things I despise" or something negative like that. When she taught it to us I didn't think it would work, but it has definitely put me to sleep when I couldn't on my own. I don't even remember what letter I usually leave off on.

It seemed hilarious to me, but nevertheless I have tried that this night. I came to Z (even though it became hilarious to think about something for X for example) and still was awake :D But it wasn't exactly such a hard night this time like the last one, maybe at least made me a bit sleepier.