• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ and sleep problems

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Melatonin can help. Also earplugs, noise machines, and night-time rituals. I take an Ambien every night and get in bed. I set the tv to shut off in two hours, and lie down. Next thing I know, it's morning.

You might try a hot bath or shower before bed, too. It seems to help wash the day off and clean the slate.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
It seemed hilarious to me, but nevertheless I have tried that this night. I came to Z (even though it became hilarious to think about something for X for example) and still was awake :D But it wasn't exactly such a hard night this time like the last one, maybe at least made me a bit sleepier.

Maybe you need to double-check your "sleep hygiene" then. The same professor that taught me that exercise said she tells all of her clients that have problems sleeping to do ALL of the following:

1) Have a bedtime and stick to it.

2) Have a bedtime ritual: e.g. brushing your teeth, washing your face, putting on your PJs, say a little prayer, and hop into bed.

3) There are only TWO things you should be doing in your bed: Sleeping and I think you can figure the other one out. Don't study, read, play your gameboy, or do ANYTHING other than those two things. If you simply MUST do something in your bed (i.e. it's the only place to sit in your room) then put your head on the other side of the bed.

4) Crucial: If you are lying in bed for more than 15-20 minutes and you still can't sleep, get out of bed and do some of the things other people have mentioned (crosswords, read a book, etc.) for about 10-20 minutes before going back to bed. Lying wide awake in bed feeling frustrated and miserable is not going to help you go to sleep.

5) You could try exercising a more than six hours before bed, but never right before you plan on sleeping. (This is generally what they suggest to people with insomnia)

6) Avoid taking naps during the day if you can.

7) Avoid caffeine, nicotine, and other stimulants before bed.

8) Use the exercise from my previous post if you are feeling anxious or stressed out.

There you have it: Sleep Hygiene.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I think I will try what you said. Wondering how I could create a "ritual" scenario though :p I will report after I made some experiences with it I think.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am an INFJ. Most of the times i cannot sleep because i am too sensitive to every little noise (that other people don't even notice) so, in order to sleep, i need complete silence...often i cannot turn my mind off (i am an over-thinker and tend to worry too much).
Do you guys have similar problems? How do you cope with that?

P.S: sometimes i cannot stand people talking any more, i hear their voice hammering in my head and I just need silence and dark, so i have to go into my bedroom and shut out light and noise.
I often need sensory deprivation when overloaded with stress. For me the ideal is to fill the bath with hot water, turn out the lights and cover any small light source like under the door, avoid using bath salts and perfumes, and have it quiet. My imagination still runs, but it is a surprising relief. There are stores that leave me feeling nauseated because of all the competing sensory stimuli.

I have been having a strange issue with sleep the past few years in which I have to pass through a wall of subconscious anxiety which can sometimes trigger a jolt of adrenaline which wakes me up. It is subconscious, but I think it has to do with feelings of responsibility and concern for things outside my little realm of control. It also has to do with processing giant issues which I suppress in the moment in order to make the best decisions I can.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I've had sleep problems most of my life. It's common in INFJs, I think, and pretty common in most of the types.

I don't really know what to do about it because I still struggle with it, but I'll definitely try some of the things mentioned here.