• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Are NFs Clingy?

BMEF

Are NFs considered to be the most clingy out of all types? Are there particular NFs that are more clingy than other NFs, for example: INFJs > XNFXs? Why yes or why not? Please support your opinion with details and specific examples if you can.

Thank you in advance. :)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I don't think so, none of the NF's I know are clingy in the slightest, but I don't know any ENFJ's so I can't speak for them. I detach rather than cling, it's less painful than trying to hold onto something or someone.

I actually find my esfp and esfj friend more clingy, quite suffocating at times truthfully.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After their initial curiosity dies down - which can take a while sometimes - I don't find this trait in ENFP's that much. Other NF's I've had experience with....:whistling:

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that I have clingy tendencies within me, but to counteract them I try so hard to not look clingy that I think I can sometimes appear cold/uninterested. This could particularly be the case with guys I'm romantically interested in. No wonder I'm single. :doh:

P

Phantonym

I think that I have clingy tendencies within me, but to counteract them I try so hard to not look clingy that I think I can sometimes appear cold/uninterested. This could particularly be the case with guys I'm romantically interested in. No wonder I'm single. :doh:

I can certainly relate. I can get clingy but I do the backing off as well, although at times I really don't want to. I hate being pressured and when people are all over me without giving me air to breathe, so I try really hard not to be like that. People usually do regard me as distant but I feel more than I let on (romantic or platonic).

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
i'm not, but i've noticed quite a few are whiny and pitiful. who can say really? people are individuals and some more are annoying as hell than others.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm extremely clingy with people I trust and know will not judge me..but it takes people a long time to get to that stage :D
Also, I can be utterly clingy one moment and 5 seconds later be off being distracted by something. This is partly coz I don't wanna freak people out and immobilize them too long. There's only very few people I will do this for a prolonged time with as they've proven not only to not mind but even like it. I love them for it ;)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I am in a relationship but you have to get me in a relationship.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sometimes, but not always.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think I could be when I was younger and trying to figure things out, but it was more about wasted opportunities and being stuck in the wait than undying love. These days the idea of a relationship isn't that attractive unless it is right. If it is right, there is no need to be clingy because there is trust, understanding and it is mutual.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Not in my experience, no.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I blow hot and cold, I think. In my younger days, maybe, a little clingy. I think that was about exploring expectations, but as I've gotten older, decided detachment, seems to work for me.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I don't think people will own up to any possible negative traits unless it's something like loving too much, being too empathetic, you know stuff like that.

Of course, holding on to a relationship longer than what's wise could be considered clingy (and I've read many NFs say they do this...part of the idealism) but I don't know if people realize they are clingy maybe they view it as being devoted or really in love.

Or implicate SFs as the clingy ones and totally deflect works too!

Parrish

MBTI Type
infp
Hmm I don`t think so. Then again, it`s possible that I just didn`t like anyone enough to be clingy. I dated an EXFX for a short while and he was really clingy and touchy-feely. It was a big turn off so maybe that`s why I don`t wanna be like that.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't think I am. The only exception I would make is if something seems to be going wrong in the relationship and the person is distancing themselves emotionally. I have a compulsive need to make sure that things at home base are established and alright before giving my attention to the other things that I normally would.

The one time when I have responded by being oversolicitous, I think it did signify someone who was unwilling/unable to talk through things or give me any reassurance that things between us were okay even if there were other stressors bothering him. I've realized that that is very important to me in a relationship and I don't function well without it. In the future I think I would recognize much more quickly what was happening and arrange for us to go our separate ways rather than living in that state of uncertainy and self-doubt for an extended length of time.

Clinginess is not so much a function of type, as it is a function of insecurity and needing the other person's strength to lean on. Unfortunately, it usually results in getting together with someone who also has strong insecurities but which are manifested in a stronger way. This leads to huge imbalances in power between partners and makes it difficult to develop a healthy relationship. Insecurity is often destructive and selfish, even when the person does not intend to be because the person ultimately believes that if they don't look out for their own needs, no one else will. At best, their headspace is taken up with their worries, fears and discomforts so much that they don't have enough room left to focus on others, or else they go to the other extreme and don't stand up appropriately for themselves up front (which means needing to use more behind the scenes ways of getting power).

On the other hand, when a strongly insecure person gets together with a fairly confident person, the imbalance also creates problems. The confident person takes on the majority of the responsibility and work, while retaining the least amount of decision making ability. They tend to be very protective of their insecure partner, so that the partner learns not to interface directly with people or be accountable for their behaviour. The confident person also becomes very isolated because any other interests and people in their life pose a threat to their partner. This alienates potential sources of support, wise counsel, and care that would normally be in place. In addition, to live with the insecure person, the more confident person has to grow to see insecure behaviour as normal if they are to see their spouse as an equal. This often makes for a very skewed perspective over time. It creates children without a good village of attachment and support. They often are not confident and respond by rejecting the people around them who are, because they don't believe they have the same possibilities open to them.

Of course we all have our insecurities. However, if building a relationship could be compared to building a house, the more insecurities and the more profound they are, the bigger of holes in the roof of the house they represent. Little holes are easily patched and dealt with. Big ones affect the integrity of the structure and require massive recontruction and expense. If left undealt with, the rain and weather comes in and renders the house worthless before long. Most people would not voluntarily move into a home that has serious issues. However, people "move into" relationships all the time, where one or both partners have big insecurities which the spouse can never "fix" for their partner.

Clinginess often comes from the belief that the other person will be the answer to all of one's problems. Invariably it brings disappointment and anger when this is not the case. And yet, because the person is choosing out of a place of need, they are unwilling to break up with anyone until they have someone else to replace them with. The common signs of it: needing constant physical contact, being in touch an unreasonably large amount of the day, depending on the partner for things that are more appropriate for the person to handle alone, jealousy and possessiveness are just symptoms of the deeper problem.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
The tendency is probably there. It just depends on the maturity level and probably confidence too.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that I have clingy tendencies within me, but to counteract them I try so hard to not look clingy that I think I can sometimes appear cold/uninterested. This could particularly be the case with guys I'm romantically interested in.

Same. Those that I've been involved with in the past sometimes say that I come off as disinterested. I think I'm trying so hard not to be clingy and bothersome, because I know I can be, that the opposite occurs and it appears that I've forgotten all about them. I'm always aware of subtle clues from my SO that he needs breathing space, so when I get that hint, I pull up immediately and maybe too much. Ideally I'd like to be in contact with my SO at least every other day, barring extentuating circumstances.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same. Those that I've been involved with in the past sometimes say that I come off as disinterested. I think I'm trying so hard not to be clingy and bothersome, because I know I can be, that the opposite occurs and it appears that I've forgotten all about them. I'm always aware of subtle clues from my SO that he needs breathing space, so when I get that hint, I pull up immediately and maybe too much. Ideally I'd like to be in contact with my SO at least every other day, barring extentuating circumstances.

I think, actually, that for myself I'm more likely to do the "clingy within myself/trying too hard to not look clingy" thing with someone I'm interested in, but not actually involved with, and I'm not sure if they're reciprocating (or the logical part of me is pretty sure they're not reciprocating, but emotionally I'm too entangled already). Then, I try so hard not to push, that some girl who's pushier with them is probably more likely to have success. :doh:

In an actual relationship, I found that being with someone who was quite insecure and also doing a push/pull sort of thing (ie. one day "I love you sooooooo much" and the next day "I just don't think this is working out because my ex-gf made me sooooooooo much happier" :huh: ) made me clingier.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I could be when I was younger and trying to figure things out, but it was more about wasted opportunities and being stuck in the wait than undying love. These days the idea of a relationship isn't that attractive unless it is right. If it is right, there is no need to be clingy because there is trust, understanding and it is mutual.

I like to think this is the road I would take now.