• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs, do you hate?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs are fully capable of hating themselves.

INFPs are thought of as one of the least hateful types. So I wonder, what does it take to make an INFP hate or have contempt for someone?

Ruin something sacred to us.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I suppose that INFPs can hate with the same passion with which they love.

I'm fully capable of feeling a strong antipathy towards someone. And if I feel that someone seriously did me wrong in some way or if they acted cruel and hurtful towards someone else deliberately, yes, I can say I hate them.

Agnosco311

MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
I hate evilness, and I think it is necessary to do so if you want to also love what is good. It's not an active feeling directed towards any individual (as mentioned - too much energy), but a general feeling towards what I recognize as sheer wickedness.

I feel like people can always change for the better, and I always maintain a hope for individuals. However, I may still hate what they do. When I do hate an individual, it doesn't last. It usually settles into a resentment and a general ill feeling at the thought of them, and then that dissipates further to indifference.

On evilness... is there an INFP that DOESN'T love Boondock Saints (the original)???

"Of course we must fear evil men, but there is another evil that we must fear more… and that is the indifference of good men"

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I can hate, but only in very short bursts. It feels good at the time, but I'm aware that it is not a reflection of anything real. It's only my child-mind feeling hurt by someone else's actions or words. I consider it very self-indulgent and private. As someone said, it's hard to maintain.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The two people I've felt hate for the most disrespected and insulted the people I love. That's what it takes,

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I don't know any confirmed INFP's, but two stereotypes are the "emo I hate the world" and the "cute fluffy I love the world and cannot hate anything"- the stereotype this thread is based on. I find it funny how these two stereotypes coexist given they are polar opposites.

Resume discussion.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know any confirmed INFP's, but two stereotypes are the "emo I hate the world" and the "cute fluffy I love the world and cannot hate anything"- the stereotype this thread is based on. I find it funny how these two stereotypes coexist given they are polar opposites.

Resume discussion.

I think INFPs tend to hate systems, but have a hard time not empathizing and seeing the view point of most people. So it's relatively easy for INFPs to hate systems ("corporate farming," "the military," "the government," "politics"), especially since those tend to represent a Te-based orientation that tends not to take the individuals or Fi values into account.

In contrast, sustained hatred for individuals is more difficult for INFPs (though clearly not impossible). It's much easier for an INFP to withdraw and ignore, rather than continuing to focus on someone who has done us wrong. Fi tends to empathize unless a core value has been crossed. Our typical principles include not hurting others and respecting the values of others. So being actively hateful to an individual is usually in conflict with those values and leads to cognitive dissonance. I think we can willfully nurse a little anger towards someone to block involuntary empathizing with someone who has done us wrong.

So, I think when the question is "do you hate" it gets treated as "do you hate individuals." Most INFPs are going to have a hard time bringing someone particular to mind, even if they do hate them since it's typically going to go against their image of themselves.

If you ask "do you hate a particular social/political/economic system?" you might see a lot more INFP hate. I think we feel more free to vent against systems, since that's doesn't trigger the same "can't inflict hurt" response.

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
In contrast, sustained hatred for individuals is more difficult for INFPs (though clearly not impossible). It's much easier for an INFP to withdraw and ignore, rather than continuing to focus on someone who has done us wrong. Fi tends to empathize unless a core value has been crossed. Our typical principles include not hurting others and respecting the values of others. So being actively hateful to an individual is usually in conflict with those values and leads to cognitive dissonance. I think we can willfully nurse a little anger towards someone to block involuntary empathizing with someone who has done us wrong.

Oh, I didn't think that "being hateful" implies "being actively hateful". I can hate other people all I want, but the utmost way how I'd show it to them is indeed ignorance. It's painful and exhausting for me to hurt another person, even if I hated them, let alone doing so deliberately and repeatedly.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think INFPs tend to hate systems, but have a hard time not empathizing and seeing the view point of most people. So it's relatively easy for INFPs to hate systems ("corporate farming," "the military," "the government," "politics"), especially since those tend to represent a Te-based orientation that tends not to take the individuals or Fi values into account.

Good post. I think it's easier to get upset with the people who believe in corrupt systems and prop them up, even though they know the system creates negative outcomes and could be easily changed, just for the sake of having a system...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On evilness... is there an INFP that DOESN'T love Boondock Saints (the original)???

"Of course we must fear evil men, but there is another evil that we must fear more… and that is the indifference of good men"

I boot apathy in the crotch!

I actually have no idea what "Boondock Saints" is...?

G

Ginkgo

I think that the only times I have ever hated were when I lacked understanding. Perhaps I was just frustrated at the fact that I failed to wrap my head around the actions of a person or a given thing. I do not hate myself; but I will concede that I have tried to escape from myself because of insecurities or differences between me and others.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Resume discussion.

Well, I would say that is the extreme range of INFPs. I've said before that it's very hard to put INFPs into a box for this reason. Depending on what they value the most, an INFP can be either or somewhere in between. Heck, sometimes I even feel like I can exist on both ends. When I was younger, I would have wild mood swings. If my favourite football team lost badly in the weekend, my colleagues would run and hide on Mondays :)

Cloudblue

Amazing Spambot!
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
I know if i hated anything in my life,do to the fact the I hate hating...wait that was one...

Personally,I feel it is impossible to hate someone or something,because sometimes,the very thing that you end up hating you will have to work with...

A-I

MBTI Type
INFP
Wow. I keep seeing these threads here where it's like everyone in a certain catagory will act the same way. What are some of you guys talking about?? Can we be just a little realistic here.

It seems like some of you have this concept that because you're "FEELERS" you are automatically going to whatever heaven you believe in.

I'll play along here, hopefuly enlighten some people's views or at least spark some consciousness, or just an individual thought in someone out there.

What's your idea of hate?

Being angry towards other people?

Being hateful? Having hate? Revenge? Jealousy?

Negative emotions?

I'd like to hear these views from every single person on earth. I bet you that the only people who'll describe these "emotions" in a realistic fashion will be the 0.0002% people on earth who aren't somewhat historically and even genetically indoctrined by religion, society, and meddelings of the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure a hunter/gatherer will have these same feelings but not see it the same way. Is it negative for the underdog in a wolfpack trying to seize control by attacking the leader so he can get more wolf chicks? Is that really something evil.

YES........ All humans are capable of this thing you call hate. You can rationalize it all you want, and bring in your religious teachings and what not but it doesn't change anything.

All living beings are capable of hatred. It doesn't matter if the feeling is short-lasting or long and it doesn't matter if you think you're a good person or not - hatred is simply as natural as happiness. You can compare it to fear, like the wise Yoda said.

Picture a cute little kitten. Now imagine it pissing all over your floor and your bed over and over again. If you beat the shit out of that animal and torture it trust me it will fucking hate your guts. If it could, it'd probably kill you. Now if you do the same thing to an animal that can actually defend itself, or a human being, guess what happens.

Hate is a rationalized concept, but it's all really just "emotions" - natural survival instincts formed in the reptilian brain. The core of your entire being, right down to your brain stem, sending all of these signals to the other parts of your brain, and some part there will rationalize this. Now of course we've learned to adapt during humankind's existence - but it will always be there. And you can't have 1 thing without the other.

Maybe some people dismiss hate easily? I'm not saying everyone should walk around and bring hell to earth every minute of their life or do bad shit but would your life be better if you could have an ounce more of hatred in you? I mean. If it's for a good reason, or a good cause, then why the hell not? Isn't that natural?

It's as natural as motor functions, as having a heartbeat so unless you're sitting in a wheelchair and can't move a muscle in your body or don't even have a pulse (duh) you should you know, at least get what some of the people here are saying who've bothered replying to this thread.

Shit. I'll philosophize all day so don't get me wrong - if it's something interesting, then that's cool, but this is about as superficial as gathering 20 people and discussing where an apple ACTUALLY comes from when it's pretty obvious that you're sitting right below the tree and it hit you in the head.

And I also hope this post here offends someone out there who think they aren't capable of hate because trust me you are. It's all a matter of circumstance. I'm not saying you should hate, but you're capable of it, just like everyone else. And the people who can't admit they can hate, are probably quiet haters.

And now. Back to Katt Williams.

YouTube - Katt Williams- Haters

/endrant thank you

mr.awesome

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i find when i dont match up to my ideals or others dont match them, i just take it all out on myself. i just get disaopinted and just sort of down in the doldrums for awhile. sit it out and wait for the anger to pass.
i think anger or hatred generated by high ideals immediatly gets projected onto theirselves regaardless if they did anything wrong or not.
thats at least how i react in those situations anyway.
i never thought about it until now, an infp myself i dont even say the word hate. haha