• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Can NFs be ruthless, cruel or evil?

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
Evil is a very difficult thing to objectively measure, but in subjectivity (ok, I do have one or two controversy and not properly taken stats that indirectly reinforces this) I think that NFs in general tends to be less evil then the "average evilness" of humanity, but being a NF alone does not stop someone from being evil, but it should be less likely.
Yeah. On average far less evil. TJs are the worst in terms of atrocties committed. Serial killers, bloody dictators, cult leaders, etc.

The downside is that NFs aren't particularly effective at being good either.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The downside is that NFs aren't particularly effective at being good either.

I dont really know or have an opinion on that, perhaps humanity isnt particularly effective at being good. I have been looking through this like a dichotomy scale (good<--->evil), thinking about how can someone being effective being good or bad, I havent even gave a thought on that yet!

Indigo Rodent

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1w9
I dont really know or have an opinion on that, perhaps humanity isnt particularly effective at being good. I have been looking through this like a dichotomy scale (good<--->evil), thinking about how can someone being effective being good or bad, I havent even gave a thought on that yet!
Ability to do good depends on productivity, organisation skills, logistics, etc. which aren't exactly NF strongest points.

Being able to donate money to people is good, being able legislate homelessness and malnutrition away is massively better. Making lots of money and wielding political power is something ENTJs and ISTJs excel at - whenever it's state power or grassroots political movements. Of course many use this power for vilest evil, for example to push ableist social Darwinism, start wars, commit genocides, exploit workers, run paedophile rings, etc. etc. etc..

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Ability to do good depends on productivity, organisation skills, logistics, etc. which aren't exactly NF strongest points.

Being able to donate money to people is good, being able legislate homelessness and malnutrition away is massively better. Making lots of money and wielding political power is something ENTJs and ISTJs excel at - whenever it's state power or grassroots political movements. Of course many use this power for vilest evil, for example to push ableist social Darwinism, start wars, commit genocides, exploit workers, run paedophile rings, etc. etc. etc..

The problem is that, through a point of view of meritocracy, it is very hard for anyone good, NF or not, to acumulate lots of power and money.
It is a very simple thing: Good people start donating their time, their money and their efforts way too early in a system that priviliges piling money through interest. And another factor, getting high sums of money without exploiting anyone, exploring wars or through these bad ways it is really really hard and unlikely to happen. Unless the person invented something spetacular (and no one of the exploiters managed to came by and exploit that).

I dont think this is a matter of being efficient or not. Productivity, organization skills... INFJs and ENFJs are supposed to have that (and the average INFJ do, ENFJ likely either).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
This is quite absurd. All types are capable of being “ heartless bastards”. I’ve honestly experienced far more emotional abuse and manipulation from NFs ( namely my Grandmother, Father and possibly Mother? I say possibly because she is manic-depressive and Iam not sure which supersedes the other) than any other.

It’s just my personal experience and I wont make blanket statements like all NF’s are more likely, but it is certainly very far fromm’ not possible’.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
The question in the OP is pretty vague. What kind of "ruthlessness, cruelty, or evil" qualifies? Is the OP talking about sadists who deliberately stomp on kittens' heads and crush them just for laughs? Or is the OP talking about the normal competitiveness, lack of empathy, and petty cruelty that all of the different personality types routinely indulge in?

Example:

If you get a little power (like when you hold a government or bureaucratic position) then you have to follow policy. But there are always trade-offs to policy: It helps some people and hurts others. So you implement policy and some people end up getting hurt, and you shrug your shoulders over it: It wasn't you, it was the policy. The ones who ended up getting hurt shouldn't have fought the policy.

Lots of NFs end up in positions of power (at least in non-technical fields and careers) due to good people skills. Personally I've seen a lot of INFJs in leadership roles, being an even-keeled type but also a Feeler with good people skills. But I've also seen all the other kinds of NFs acting as leaders and bureaucrats as well, including myself. Anyway, exercising power includes getting used to the idea that your power is going to hurt some people, and apparently NFs can accept that.

Also, NFs can be kind of passive-aggressive (Example: Rationalizing questionable actions by insisting that their intentions are good). Passive-aggressiveness can become magnified by power, leading to ruined careers and lives. In that respect, the bluntness or directness of other personality types would be preferable; at least you know where you stand with them.