• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] INFPs- how do you perceive things?

sculpting

Hello INFPs,

As an enfp, I perceive most everything with Ne, and then judge with either Te or Fi.

I can often distinctly feel Te and Fi not agreeing. Sometimes they tag team and I end up with a complex answer involving both. I can see how this plays out with the other types that have two side-by-side judging functions, feTi, TiFe and so on.

I have no understanding of what it is like to have two perceiving functions side by side...

Do you actually feel as though you observe a situation in two distinct ways? An Ne view then an Si view?

Even more dumb on my part, how do you judge something with Fi that you havent perceived yet? (This sounds kinda dumb, sorry)

Thanks!

Cybin

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm typing on a phone so I'll be brief. Hopefully someone will elaborate.

Ne draws on Si by comparing past experiences with current, evaluating what's known to work and looking to make improvements.

Fi makes judgments in the form of feelings and value axioms. Fi keeps a strong framework of what is acceptable, so in this way it is like making judgments first as most everything else must fall in that framework. NeSi perception is used to get the best information possible and adjust the framework to fit the most current understanding of things. If Fi is not balanced wih proper Ne, Fi can become unrealistic and irrational with value judgments by being to wrapped in itself to see properly.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello INFPs,
As an enfp, I perceive most everything with Ne, and then judge with either Te or Fi.

I perceive with Ne and judge with Fi and Ti. Fi is primary, but I'm not willing to give it too much credit until I can sort it with Ti (to put it in very broad terms).
So it would be that Ne perceives, Fi judges and Ti judges the judging.

There are of course cases where the two of them don't agree - like if I feel something is right, but think that it's better not to give in to that feeling, or when I think that something is the right thing to do, but I'm uncomfortable with doing it. - But I'd say this is far from being type-specific. Usually my reaction to this is to gather more information and think it through (or let it stew unconsciously) until a solution virtually emerges.
If this sounds rather time consuming - well it is. I'm generally not too comfortable with making decisions.

Even more dumb on my part, how do you judge something with Fi that you havent perceived yet? (This sounds kinda dumb, sorry)

I don't know how this would work - your judgement is necessarily always about something, so if there's nothing that can be judged, there can be no judgment. Perhaps consciousness is an issue here. But feel free to ask away! :)

INFPs can't perceive anything. Their eyes are too clouded over by their constant stream of tears, and they can't hear anything over their gargled sobs.

Sorry, couldn't read that post. The one before yours was so terribly romantic :wubbie::boohoo:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ne draws on Si by comparing past experiences with current, evaluating what's known to work and looking to make improvements.

Fi makes judgments in the form of feelings and value axioms. Fi keeps a strong framework of what is acceptable, so in this way it is like making judgments first as most everything else must fall in that framework. NeSi perception is used to get the best information possible and adjust the framework to fit the most current understanding of things. If Fi is not balanced wih proper Ne, Fi can become unrealistic and irrational with value judgments by being to wrapped in itself to see properly.

Pretty much. :yes:

It works going the opposite way also. Ne and Si may be drawn upon to communicate a feeling idea that Fi wants to express. Fi is very broad at times in its principles and ideas, and the perceiving functions sort of sees ways to externalize them so you can communicate them as accurately as possible so they're actually understood by other people. Since we use Ne most, things often still come out abstract and metaphorical and we seek new ways over the usual, but Si can anchor you from being totally wacky since you do put some consideration into how things have been done before.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I concur as well. Fi makes the starting values, and Ne finds helpful and/or creative ways to "give expression" to Fi's values in the external world.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As a steaming pile of excrement with the odd diamond or sapphire.