• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Hero Idealism

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I also know that God isn't the limited one, it's me, and so far my only help there is if he destroys me.

Destroy you? He won't do that! But I think I get your idea of INFPs needing to find inspiration and harmony within themselves (Fi)?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Destroy you? He won't do that! But I think I get your idea of INFPs needing to find inspiration and harmony within themselves (Fi)?

It's not about what he will or will not do, it's about what he may need to do for anything to work - destruction at a base level.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
It's not about what he will or will not do, it's about what he may need to do for anything to work - destruction at a base level.

Oh... You mean sanctification? Yeah, that hurts. I know it.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think that we may even extend this to everyday life. I really do tend to make people in my everyday life into hero's, as I usualy find things that I admire greatly in nearly everyone I meet. Some are significantly more than others. It's difficult though to actually know (In an everyday sense) you're hero because if something goes wrong you risk not only losing that person, but also your hero which can capsulate your hopes and dreams.. this is very painful indeed, esp for those of us that live by our imaginings :cry:

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I may have at one time.

But not anymore. I know too much about life.

I don't think it's a good idea to idealize anyone. You only set yourself up for disappointment.

See people as they are, fallible. You, me, everyone else.

People who impress me, are the ones who keep going, even after being slapped down by life innumerable times.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I've always had heroes and role models, which according to INTP literature, is not really an INTP trait. They inspire me, though, and get me out of the ruts that I get into where I lose the power of possibility. I do agree with that sig, though--sometimes hero worship prevents us from realizing WE could eventually do what they do.

I've met one person I had a lot of respect for that disappointed me in a devastating way. That made me reassess my expectations. I have since met the two people who inspire me the most musically (people I also greatly admire as human beings), and adjusted my expectations beforehand to make it a really positive experience. I didn't expect them to sense that we should totally be BFFs or anything. :-D

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I don't really do the hero thing. Most of them are seen as people who I can learn from. I do have more interest in and respect for some people than others. I have no intention of directly copying them or being like them though.

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
In my case, I think hero is probably the right word. I'm not sure about idealization, though.

One of my "heroes" is Joe Strummer, but I didn't really find him heroic right away. Though his music inspired me, I was put off by him at first; I thought he came off as arrogant, preachy and hypocritical. But my understanding of him was limited and superficial; I was looking at the celebrity and the musician, not the man. I read quite a bit about the Clash when I was a teen and ended up learning more about Joe in the process. The more I investigated, the more interviews I listened to and the more performances I watched, the more fascinating he became to me. As it turned out, not only was he was still occasionally hypocritical, preachy and full of himself, but he had a host of other major shortcomings as a friend, classmate, bandmate, partner, role model, etc. But rather than put me off, his flaws endeared him to me. My sense and appreciation of his humanity grew with each mistake, betrayal and character flaw I discovered.

I don't identify with him per se; in fact, he remains somewhat of an enigma to me. But his struggles with himself, his past, his idealism and his motives have allowed him to touch me in a way that no other figure of any kind has (though this does not at all include the personal heroes in my life). It's not so unique in history or in music for people to tragically and persistently struggle with their demons and ideals, so I can't really explain why he is uniquely heroic to me. I only know that his flaws contributed in some way. :huh:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
But one thing for certain, a lot of his music has helped me to grow and develop as a person. I knew music effected me deeply, but now music is my passion.

Do other NFs feel the same way about their heroes, both childhood and current ones?

Hmm... yeah, I think there are people I've never met who have made me grow. It's mostly movies and books. Some music also. There are some directors who captivate an idea that might be impossible to turn into words. Last night I watched American Beauty, and it still hits me hard when in the end the man realizes that his life was beautiful, even though everything could be interpreted in a very different way. I've had that feeling many times, but I can't express it in any way, and if I could it wouldn't be near as beautiful as in American Beauty.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ideal for a hero is someone who achieves great things and rises up to "the Transcendental Pinnacle" of self-mastery, maximizes his promise and seeks to become God!

That's a bit too big for most people, but I guess anyone can be a hero who gives good inspiration for walking paths to higher planes.

Standuble

My ideal for a hero is someone who achieves great things and rises up to "the Transcendental Pinnacle" of self-mastery, maximizes his promise and seeks to become God!

That's a bit too big for most people, but I guess anyone can be a hero who gives good inspiration for walking paths to higher planes.

You need to find yourself a Sith'ari. Get studying on those dark side texts as you shall find victory and eventual freedom through using the force.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You need to find yourself a Sith'ari. Get studying on those dark side texts as you shall find victory and eventual freedom through using the force.

Download - Grand Book of the Sith

*WARNING - My computer blocked something "potentially malicious" it said from that page when I did the download, so just take caution and be aware of that danger.

The Dark Side is the essence of Darkness and power. As such, those along its path are touched
by its nature and brought to perceive their world in terms of named values: strength, power,
domination, Darwinism, war, and victory. Those of the Dark Side seek the challenge within our
world and the spiritual world: to overcome their own mortality, to find the source of power that
would allow them to forfeit their mortal coil and rise beyond the shackles of their bestowed
limitations. They seek challenge and confrontation, to find their limits and expand them.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
The above statement is rather obvious in its meaning: the Universe is always in motion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
By embracing the truth of the Universe, we gain energy and motivation—we are filled with ourselves.
Through strength, I gain power.
The result is that you advance and grow, and therefore gain and advantage and often get what you want.
Through power, I gain victory.
This refers to the success experienced by following this path.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
Success leads to the overcoming of failure and pain, freeing us from the clouding chains we put on ourselves, and
the chains others place on us.
The Force shall free me.
The final step is the unlimited expansion possible from this path.—ultimate power. There is a fictional Sith
prophesy that one totally freed by the force shall lead the Sith to victory, and destroy them, leading them all to
freedom themselves, as a messiah figure.
—The Sith Code (with explanations)