• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs: Not Taking Care of Yourself

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think I take care of myself quite well. If i'm feeling overly depressed I might forget to take care of myself, but generally I like to look good, smell good and eat well.

Actually I may take these things to an unhealthy extent. I brush my teeth compulsively and I eat entirely too much.

A-I

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm so incredibly INFP I actually just dress in rags made out of random pieces of paper and milk cartons (the ones listing missing people of course, I do enjoy kind of just putting it out THERE. We are not alone) - I guess I've shaved once or twice in my life. Unintentionally. I was actually on my way to the WC but I decided to fall and sort of happened to pee all over my unkept beard. I didn't mind it.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I get the feeling some of you are grateful for your (stereo)type, so you finally have an excuse to be undisciplined.

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm so incredibly INFP I actually just dress in rags made out of random pieces of paper and milk cartons (the ones listing missing people of course, I do enjoy kind of just putting it out THERE. We are not alone) - I guess I've shaved once or twice in my life. Unintentionally. I was actually on my way to the WC but I decided to fall and sort of happened to pee all over my unkept beard. I didn't mind it.
If-You-Find-More-Disgusting-Toilet-Dont-Show-It-Me_500x500.jpg

I love what you've done with your kitchen though.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get the feeling some of you are grateful for your (stereo)type, so you finally have an excuse to be undisciplined.

I get the feeling you didn't actually read the whole thread.

A-I

MBTI Type
INFP
Right but cmon man... This is how the thread starts.

Another thread inspired me to post this.

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

Why do you think this is? Can you relate?

Emberassingly enough, I can.

^ Your own posts in this thread haven't answered his questions. I noticed you kind of reflected on some other things that are sort of in the same alley and I get it! That's cool. I like that. But still, look at your own posts here, and what you answered, isn't that probably because you don't really relate to that extreme right? You can't really agree with that can you. You're talking about other things like discipline, order, and what not and thats cool but this thread is really asking if IFNPs are more prone to neglect of their own body and appearance? Do you really feel like that's true? You don't seem like you do, cause if you did, you would've answered differently in your posts here. So you're right, and I'm right, so everyone can be happy.

If the OP asked if insane people with zero sanity were prone to neglecting their body, I'd answer yes. But INFPs? No.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right but cmon man... This is how the thread starts.

^ Your own posts in this thread haven't answered his questions. I noticed you kind of reflected on some other things that are sort of in the same alley and I get it! That's cool. I like that. But still, look at your own posts here, and what you answered, isn't that probably because you don't really relate to that extreme right? You can't really agree with that can you. You're talking about other things like discipline, order, and what not and thats cool but this thread is really asking if IFNPs are more prone to neglect of their own body and appearance? Do you really feel like that's true? You don't seem like you do, cause if you did, you would've answered differently in your posts here. So you're right, and I'm right, so everyone can be happy.

If the OP asked if insane people with zero sanity were prone to neglecting their body, I'd answer yes. But INFPs? No.

Are you addressing me? (by the ^ I am guessing you are).

I feel I did address the OP. I explained that I do mostly look after my own body/appearance, but in a few specific ways I don't, so no, I do not relate to the extreme. I thought that was clear from my examples directly related to body/appearance (and I did go into other areas of keeping or disregarding order in life), and other people answered in the same style and there was no confusion. That's why my impression of the answers in the thread was that there is no rule for INFPs & few actually identify with that extreme, and so the statement from Bubbleboy was off the mark. There may be tendency for chaos in certain areas with INFPs, but it varies from individual to individual, just as our values can vary dramatically.

A-I

MBTI Type
INFP
Ya. Good point but I'm pretty sure all people have their small oddities in how they treat their body. Not just INFPs.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ya. Good point but I'm pretty sure all people have their small oddities in how they treat their body. Not just INFPs.

I agree with that. I don't think that is an "INFP thing". I do see Ps as generally preferring less structure though.

little.bad.apple

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I may be stating the obvious here, but I think the tendency to maintain/disregard your appearance/health is aligned with whatever your Fi dictates.

Ambrosia

MBTI Type
INFP
I take care of myself... in a minimalist sort of way. :wink: If it's a day I know I won't be going out, personal hygiene gets put aside. However, I'm also notorious for getting finicky with my hair once in a while. (I think it may just be a way I procrastinate/stall.)

In my personal experience, INTP's are much more often guilty of this.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

I totally can relate and i'm enfp, from not brushing teeth befor bed to not washing hair for a week to wearing the same clothes for days on end... it can get really bad...
Then on the flip side i can get very obsessive with it too.
The obsessiveness comes from wanting to be in control/feeling like your not in control esp of external factors...
I guess the neglecting element is from apathy/depression or even just leaving yourself till last (which i tend to do):puppy_dog_eyes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can definitely relate to this
except i still don't leave the house without wearing makeup. but i'll forget to brush my hair, put on deodorant, etc.

nah, i'm pretty sure i'd be exactly the same whether or not i knew that i was an infp

heart

heart on fire
I don't think it is a "preference" but more to do with that tendancy to get disconnected from the real, outer world. Forgetfulness, randomness, being consumed by thoughts. Not something to be either proud or ashamed of, just to be aware of and try not to let get out of control.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I totally can relate and i'm enfp, from not brushing teeth befor bed to not washing hair for a week to wearing the same clothes for days on end... it can get really bad...
Then on the flip side i can get very obsessive with it too.
The obsessiveness comes from wanting to be in control/feeling like your not in control esp of external factors...
I guess the neglecting element is from apathy/depression or even just leaving yourself till last (which i tend to do):puppy_dog_eyes:

That's totally me, and I worry about this. Well, apparently I don't worry enough to stay consistent XD;; If I'm going out in public I try to make up lost time and make myself presentable enough.

lovely empty space

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I will admit that I neglect my diet, but not my hygiene. However, there is a difference between hygiene and physical appearance, the latter being something I don't care about. I shower, wash my face, brush my teeth and hair, even usually straighten my hair. Being clean and presentable is what I care about. Worrying any more about physical appearance would require much more time in the morning, and goes against everything I believe about how important physical appearance even is.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I care about my health when it starts to interfere with my brain. I went for a walk in the forest today, not because I want to "stay healthy", but to not become too passive. For the same reason I try not to sleep more than eight hours. I feel the passivity taking hold even if I don't eat vegetables. The laziness and a bit blurry feeling is annoying...

But yeah, I do neglect many things that are considered "taking care of yourself". I might not eat for a day, I am not in shape, I don't like to exercise, I might occasionally drink too much, I hate shaving but I also look dorky with beard, I rarely buy new clothes and so on. I think it's a combination of

1) I don't care what you think
2) I am lazy
3) I don't have any real reason to do those things
4) I mostly live inside my head, and there appearances are of little use

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc...Can you relate?

That was true when I was depressed, but not these days.

cheers,
Ian

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
We don't think it matters unless it's important, while others are afraid that if they stop they're whole life will end up the same way. basically a J/P issue.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

Yeah, I guess I don't take care of myself much in this way. It just seems like such a huge effort to me for something I don't care much about. I'm not a complete slob or anything, I just tend to do the bare mimimum of respectability: eg. if I'm going out to a restaurant, or out drinking (this isn't a common occurance however) or to a wedding I will dress relatively formally and put on some makeup but otherwise its not gonna happen. There's so many other things I would rather do with my time than fussing about this stuff. I guess it seems neglectful and lazy (and it probably is) but people put way too much emphasis on appearances. I really hate people getting at me about it - if I'm not up to scratch, fine but mostly I'm trying. People don't get that personal appearance is something I do to appease others (i.e to be appropriate and to stop the judging), it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I also agree with what some one else said about how most clothing really doesn't appeal to them or reflect them. :yes:

And more in general, I guess I forget to do things to take care of myself or I put them off. I probably need a haircut now but I'm probably not going to do anything about it for a couple of weeks. Also some health things seem to put me into avoidance mode. I'm kind of a hyperchondriac which makes me try to over compensate and avoid going to the doctor etc altogether.

However, all this is rarely a problem, even though people accuse me of being haphazard. I guess this is just a case of different priorities for different people: my attention is just on other things.