• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Are you a SUCKER?

For NF's - Are you a SUCKER?

• Yes! And I hate it but don't know how to stop.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Yes! I pride myself on my compassion OR it doesn't bother me.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Yes! And at this point, I'm so used to it, I can live with it.

• No! And never have been.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No! And I wonder what's wrong with the rest of your NFs...

• No! Not anymore. I used to be but I took care of that.

Votes: 19 54.3%

• Total voters

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I was just thinking about all the new and wonderful things I learn about types and thereby myself, from this forum. And I was getting bothered by some things I was seeing about NFs but specifically ENFPs. Basically, other people's impressions of us and our own self-assessments. Some things just aren't meshing for me and/or they are quite eye opening as I was not aware of these views before.

So I think I'll be posting some nosy little questions to my fellow NFs in the coming week.

First off --

Are you a sucker?
Do you get easily taken advantage of?
Are you a con artist's dream?
Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear?
Are you a total push-over?
Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?
Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

And if the answer is 'Yes!' I was curious as to your feelings on the topic and how you deal with it. If it's 'No!' I would really like to know -- why not?? How did you become the opposite of a sucker or were you naturally like this?

And of course, personal anecdotes are so helpful in illustrating your point. :D

Thanks in advance for your input!

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Hrm. I don't know!

Observing the world around me, especially through the newspaper and stuff, I'm actually fairly cynical. I always notice and point out things that seem stupid or obviously biased, and I think it's fairly easy to pick up on that sort of thing. Current affair-like programs with their 'Why you can't leave the house without fearing for your LIFE!' sort of headlines annoy me like nothing else.

YET, when dealing with other people, especially one-on-one, I'm a lot more trusting. I do generally believe that everyone means well, and I have been known to believe something I later found out was false. So, I'm putting 'yes', but because I've been taught by and am around lots of S's and T's (those would be the most cynical and untrusting, perhaps?) I think I'm a little more careful and aware of those sort of things that I would naturally be.

For example, I think my mother is being somewhat paranoid when she insists on covering up handbags left in the car with towels so that theives won't see them and try and break in and get them, (although I find myself in the habit of doing that) but I feel uncomfortable and am very reluctant to talk to people I don't trust about things like salary and how much money/things I own.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
:shock: So I think I'll be posting some nosy little questions to my fellow NFs in the coming week.

First off -- [/size]

Are you a sucker?

Nah

absolutely not

depends on the sob story...

Maybe I'm not because I know I could be..balance man...balance

Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?

definately attract needy troubled people. sometimes they will leech me of my energy...occasionally time...hardly ever money

Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

hmmmm i'll have to think about that. i don't think so but i'll get back to you.

And if the answer is 'Yes!' I was curious as to your feelings on the topic and how you deal with it. If it's 'No!' I would really like to know -- why not?? How did you become the opposite of a sucker or were you naturally like this?

I think it was nurture. mom/dad. always be willing to be helpful. but you can only help those willing to help themselves...learn to recognize when they are and aren't. and so i did...learn that is. :)

[/QUOTE]

shen

MBTI Type
ENFP
one time someone told me that to get rid of wind of the bottom variety i must sit on a bucket of hot water, so i did.:blush:

so yeh i think i must be. :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was just thinking about all the new and wonderful things I learn about types and thereby myself, from this forum. And I was getting bothered by some things I was seeing about NFs but specifically ENFPs. Basically, other people's impressions of us and our own self-assessments. Some things just aren't meshing for me and/or they are quite eye opening as I was not aware of these views before.

So I think I'll be posting some nosy little questions to my fellow NFs in the coming week.

First off --

Are you a sucker?

1.Yeah, especially if I want who ever's bugging me to go away.

2.Probably. Sometimes But I normally find ways to blow them off.

3. No, Unless doing what other's ask because it's not a problem, and easier then to refuse. This is like getting up and walk 20 feets to open a door for someone who asked, because he was in a wheel chair and couldn't reach the handle and the handicap button was broken. Or if I get stopped in the street and I know I shouldn't give the person my change because then I'd have to give change to every homeless person I meet, but If I have loose change in my pocket I'll give it to them, just to be left alone.

4. All of my friends have wanted to kill themselves at some point, there may have been 1 or 2 who didn't fine I've only had like 10 friends in my life time. I also tend to attract crazy and neurotic people, maybe because I'm crazy and neurotic. If I find someone more neurotic then myself I feel more normal.

5. Not really if anything people have been shocked to find that I have feelings. I keep them hidden and bottled really well.

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
Are you a sucker?
Yep.

That depends on what you consider taken advantage of. I let people get a whole lot more out of me than they perhaps deserve, but I only do it because I want to. I enjoy helping people, and I also enjoy the looks on other people's faces when I do something I totally don't need to just because I was asked. (like the other night I went out in the rain to a co-worker's car just to get his phone for him.) I also to the crap work nobody else does or pick up the slack for people just because.. I'd prefer it get done, so if that means doing it myself, very well. (Of course, that doesn't mean I do this 100% of the time. >.> I'm just as bad at causing the slack sometimes too.)

Would most people see this as bending over and taking it? Probably. Do I? Not at all. They're choices I've made.

Though my actual friends do tend to get one over on me now and again, but, I hold my tongue since they ARE my friends. Some people say they'd do anything for them, I really mean it. I only get bothered if it's something that boils down to a straight up lack of respect, or something that would really screw me over in the end, then I'll stand up for myself.

Like I co-signed for a car for my ex/friend and he dropped the insurance..which means they could have dropped loan...which would have been a huge nasty blot on MY credit. Living with me when he got kicked out? Fine. Riding him around before he got a car? Sure. Letting him get away with not buying his share of the supplies like he said, or chipping in for half the internet? Whatever. He always paid his half of the rent and that's what was most important to me. (and after a couple months of pestering he did buy some supplies/groceries and start paying for internet, finally.) But I really sat him down and chatted with him about the insurance. That was gonna dick me over and if he was willing to do that, I wasn't sure about the friendship anymore. Within a month he was insured again. :D

Possibly. Usually I can smell a sleaze from a mile away, and don't care too much for strangers, but if they know what they're doing, especially if they employ a smidge of guilt, I'll probably feel bad about being nice and not want to do total a 180 when they ask for something, bend in hopes that they'll go away, and then totally get suckered. :doh: Growing up in rich white suburbia, I thankfully haven't had that happen yet.

I've built up a pretty good tolerance. I've distanced myself enough to feel bad, but know there's not really much I can do to change a past I wasn't involved in. I'll gladly help them come to their own terms to help them change the future instead. This probably could mean them getting a good bit out of me to get them started, but again, it's a risk I'm usually willing to take. :wubbie:

Yes. I've done what I'm told my whole life. If someone's persistent enough they can probably get me to change my mind about something pretty quickly.

Yes. It's a drawback to wanting to help as many people as I can. But again, it's a choice I make. Those people need it more than I do. I put others before myself with anything extra, but won't give more than I can afford. Most people still see this as me getting taken advantage of. Maybe it is, but I don't think it's something I can change about myself.

Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?[/size]

If they press the right buttons. I'm not angered or annoyed easily, it takes a good bit of persistence to make me feel guilty, but if someone's accusing me or someone else of something I know I/they didn't do, I can get really defensive, even if I know they're kidding! I have this odd quirk about people knowing the truth, even about stupid irrelevant details. Often times, I just play along with people and they THINK I'm being serious or getting upset. I guess most people haven't caught on to my rather dry sense of humor. :huh:

I was born a natural 100% sucker. I was raised to do whatever my dad wanted, when he wanted, and then to try even more because it was never good enough. I did what I was told. Period. My opinion didn't matter, and even explaining myself was talking back. So I've never been really good at thinking for myself.

However.. I realized what was going on somewhere along the line. I shut up and bent over because it was my Dad, and I respected the fact that I was in his house and a child SHOULD do what they're told. But once I got out.. I wasn't gonna take that crap from anyone else. Plus, my stepmother is very manipulative and a chronic liar, so I learned to not be so trusting of what people say and what kind of signs to look for. When I couldn't trust my own family, you really think I'm going to care what a stranger wants?

I also have another friend, who I realized AFTER learning all his good qualities, is very controlling. I learn a lot from him. He constantly tries to belittle me in a teasing way, or just boss me or prank me around in ways that are pretty harmless. He may trick me into paying for stuff for him, but then also picks up the tab without me having to say anything sometimes too. It is a give and take.. just.. the "takes" are rather rude sometimes. XD In anycase, it's taught me a little bit more how to stand up for myself.

Plus, I guess I'm a little extra gifted with the INFJ "intention radar." I can tell when someone's just out to get me, or if they really need help. I guess the problem lies in the fact that even when I know they're out to get me, I give them what they want just because I have it, and don't bother taking the energy to fight it.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

Probably. People have told me before that they only liked me because they could use me.

More like wet dream. :devil: But seriously, I'm pretty skeptical and that keeps me safe. Although I come very close.

I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and I won't call BS cuz I hate the resulting conflict.

Yes.

Not really. If those types come around then I try to help them or I lose my patience with them and avoid them.

Very easy to get an emotional response, but I won't buy without proof or the time to think it over.

Alfa Prime

Are you a sucker?

There is a way to develop a clear and healthy self-image. Once developed, none of this will happen.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Sometimes, for awhile.
Not a stranger con artist. I can too easily smell a rat.
No, not every one. Even if my sympathy is initially engaged it doesn't mean I will act on those feelings.
I can be up to a point.
I used to. I decided not to do that anymore.
Depends. I deeply and passionately resent attempts to bypass my brain and go for my feelings.

I was raised to be an enabler and I stayed true to my upbringing for many years, but a few years back, I cut ties with my primary taker-advantager (my mom) and in the process lost a lot of my tolerance for those kinds of people. There are still a few people that can play me, but nothing like I used to be. Hopefully I will keep getting better, without becoming a complete misanthrope. It's a process.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
There is a way to develop a clear and healthy self-image. Once developed, none of this will happen.

:shock:

I disagree. If you are an NF and have a clear and healthy self image, then those things can still happen to you. I know that if I value a friendship then I will never be the first one to soil it. I also know that I will let people walk all over me if my integrity is at stake. NFs can cherish their values above all else and there are people who will take advantage of that.

chippinchunk

MBTI Type
INFJ
- Don't think so.

- Eek, no. Not really.

- Maybe. If someone tells me something I am willing to believe it. But i'm pretty sure I could tell if it were a lie or not. (That would lead to ther things)

- Sometimes, it really depends on the situation.

- Nope.

- Emotional response...to my friends yes, to other people, it would be rare.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I'm a con artists' nightmare. In fact I'm a even nightmare for genuine, honest salesmen.

Alfa Prime

A healthy self-image also contains self-respect.

According to Yourdictionary.com integrity means:
Yourdictionary.com said:
integrity Definition
  1. the quality or state of being complete; unbroken condition; wholeness; entirety
  2. the quality or state of being unimpaired; perfect condition; soundness
  3. the quality or state of being of sound moral principle; uprightness, honesty, and sincerity
integrity Synonyms

uprightness, honor, probity; see honesty 1, sincerity.

In light of that, this contradictory statement shows self-abuse:

I also know that I will let people walk all over me if my integrity is at stake.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about "I'm not sure"

Its easy to say "no, and never have been" (I didnt vote tho), but I really don't know if I have been suckered and never realized it or not, so I could think I'm not and be delusional. I simply trust my judgement of others (and most sales people give me an instant distrust vibe) and I can't think of any situations where I really felt suckered.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I think if you tend to be a nurturer figure- either a father figure or mother figure, then it's bound to happen that you'll get taken advantage a few times by unscrupulous individuals who play upon your compassionate and giving nature. However, I'll say giving people the benefit of the doubt is very different from being indiscriminate about recognizing those who continually mistreat all the people in their lives.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ

First off --

Are you a sucker?

1. Not really unless the person is really really good at manipulation. If I feel I am not appreciated, I usually leave the situation.

2. Not at all! I usually see right through that stuff.

3. Umm, it depends on what the person means to me. If it's someone I feel I can trust, then they can probably pull one over on me in this way.

4. Not really, but I do tend to go above and beyond for the people closest to me. There have been situations where I ended up being a pushover, but once I realized what was going on (seperated my heart from my head, basically) then I normally left the situation. The only exception that I can think of was with my long term ex boyfriend - whom was bipolar & I kept making excuses for his behavior based on his mental illness. In general, though, my personality is way too demanding to let someone walk all over me.

5. I attract troubled people like the plague & I do what I can to help them up until the point where I feel I am being taken advantage of... normally I don't dispense money freely though - I'm kind of cheap! :(

6. Depends on your definition of emotional response, as I'm not very emotional towards people I do not know. I also have issues in general expressing my feelings. However, I tend to take on a caretaker role easily so I suppose that is an emotional response.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
First off --

Are you a sucker?

"Are you a sucker?" If you mean gullible? Yes. Otherwise, maybe not.

1. Sometimes. Depends on the person and how I'm generally feeling at the time. As far as taking advantage of my vulnerability, yes that's a problem of mine. Once someone shows they can be trustworthy, I think I let them step too close and sometimes people do seize the opportunity.

2. Probably not. I'm not very fond of people who act like they're overcompensating. I do get very suspicious.

3. Does the story initially ellicit sympathy? Yes. Do I do anything about said sympathy? Most likely no. It really depends on the person and situation, though. I might comfort them, but it doesn't mean I believe them for a moment.

4. No. I've been known to be cold when someone pushes too hard. It takes quite a bit of pushing, though.

5. Actually, no. I never have. I don't know why, maybe people can sense that I don't put up with too much clingy, emotional, neediness. I've kind of had to deal with it all my life with my grandmother. I eventually learned to just shut all of that kind of behaviour out. I would be a really bad person to ask for stuff (money in particular), I have such a tight reign on money and things I use regularly that I get pretty anal about having those things returned. Also I'm on a ridiculously tight budget. I'm a miser even to myself! However, I will freely give help anytime someone asks it of me and expect absolutely nothing in return. Especially when it's someone I care about.

6. Yes, definitely. Inside anyway.

Um, as a kid, I was a really big sucker, much much worse than I am now. What happened was I got bullied, lied to, and generally hurt. So I stopped letting people get close. I'm still vulnerable to being that way, and it's really because I'm ready to give people the benefit of the doubt and accept that anything is possible (which is why I'm so gullible). But I have learned to quickly sniff out suspicious activity and will do whatever I can to avoid such things and such people.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Q: Do you get easily taken advantage of?

Emotionally yes. Otherwise no. And now you are wondering what I mean. I mean if you need emotional response to your real feelings (=strong emotions), you've got it! But if you want money or things from me, you won't get it.

Q: Are you a con artist's dream?

Depends on the con artist. Usually no. I can be somewhat critical with people's intentions (at times).

Q: Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear?

I don't usually react to stories that somebody tells about somebody else. But if somebody tells me a story of their own life that involves emotional moments, I do get emotional response to that immediately (if the emotion of that person feels genuine).

Q: Are you a total push-over?

No, not usually. I'm told that I can be quite assertive at times.

Q: Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?

YES YES YES! I do attract the energy leach people and I hate it when they drain my energy. I think this is my biggest problem. I have loads and loads of energy and I hate when the leaches come and drain it away. I do need a massive defensive mechanism against them. Absolutely.

But money or things.. they are not available for anybody.. :D

Q: Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

I think I recognize a genuine emotion in people. So I react to the genuine emotions straight away (even if I don't want to). A really good manipulator could get a emotional reaction from me with a fake emotion. I do not intentionally sell my emotional responses.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
Are you a sucker? *rolling eyes* Unfortunately, yes.
Do you get easily taken advantage of? I have, unfortunately.
Are you a con artist's dream? Thankfully, no. I draw the line with con-artists. I can see right through them -- I am, unfortunately, a gadget-on-TV-aholic. I have to really talk myself out of from purchasing those cool gadgets on informercials (I have never purchased anything from QVC, though, so you can all be proud of me!)
Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear? In my youth, I have. Thankfully, I have heard so much over my lifetime, that I have learned to be more critical of stories.
Are you a total push-over? Not any more -- unless it's someone I really love... who knows the right buttons to push (like my boys!)
Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money? Thankfully, no.
Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you? Oh, yes!

And if the answer is 'Yes!' I was curious as to your feelings on the topic and how you deal with it. If it's 'No!' I would really like to know -- why not?? How did you become the opposite of a sucker or were you naturally like this? I really think that age has something to do with it. At some point after being taken advantage of several hundred (thousands) times, I have learned to say, "no" but of course, I do so very gently.

And of course, personal anecdotes are so helpful in illustrating your point. I took classes at work (about learning to say, "no"), so that was helpful!

Thanks in advance for your input! You're welcome!