• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Shutting myself off ... and becoming a jerk

toast

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
I don't know what it is. Most people would describe me as passive, friendly, caring, and supportive. I don't feel like that at all anymore.

Maybe its being passive that's stressing you. I don't know but the "google" example reminds me of how I get when I am tired of walking on eggshells. I suppose as an I, you may not have the same dynamic to this... I have to be careful about nearly everything I say with some people, because even when I am saying something fairly "gentle" to me, the intensity of how I say it seems to crush people... Its like I have some aura of judgment about me, and I have to watch it. After too much of this checking what I say & how I say it, I get this uncontrollable floating hostility that can be triggered by anything. Impatience like you described seems to be at its core. There are a few people who I can be around when this happens, because they are the ones who I don't really have to watch myself around in the first place, & then they can handle it when I am in your position.

It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it is just as you described. I also avoid these people for a while after I feel better, like I'm turned off to them. I think maybe a part of that is an anxiety that they will expect more from me cause I "dissed" them, or that they will simply act awkward... but it just feels like I have no interest in seeing them.

I usually just tell them I am stressed & busy, which never really feels dishonest. Eventually they come around again & things are fine & I feel renewed. I don't believe I've ever permanently lost friendships because of it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd probably try to get rid of the Fi doms and work on feeling less guilty about it over time. The ENFP on the other hand, maybe you just need a break more often than you think.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Been here that's for sure. It was in my mid-20's. I ended up distancing myself from anyone who annoyed me or tried to deal with them in small doses.

Eventually I got over it. It was a stage thing going from "the nice girl" getting walked on to just having enough of everything and growling for a while.

It passed.