• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFPs - Ever Do Things Just To Get A Reaction?

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I know it probably seems a bit contradictory, since INFPs initially like to avoid the possibility of conflict, but I've been pondering on it since yesterday after I ate all of the leafy garnish off my spaghetti to see what my sister would do XD;;

But yeah, I've noticed that, when the opportunity arises, I love to do odd, spontanious things just so I can get a reaction (and then laugh about it). I know Ns usually have an odd sense of humour, but I have to know if this is an INFP thing or just me lol Anyone? Anyone?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that may be weird Ne-aux stuff, spurred by Fi needing to be unique. Ne likes to explore and get reactions. That's why Ne-doms provoke a lot. INFPs may be subtler because of that conflict avoidance.

I definitely do this sometimes. I also get a perverse pleasure from people thinking I am odd from something I say/do/wear and from saying something bitingly sarcastic / mean on occasion. I'm not outright mean a lot, but sometimes the rebellious side of me wells up and spills over.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah, I'd never wanna cross over into the down-right mean side D:

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, yes. :D

I did things like that a lot more in high school though, before I went to college and all my self-consciousness started kicking in.
It also seemed like I needed a cohort, usually. Like my ESFP friend, or my sister (who I still can't figure out...E?FP).
And I think a lot of it was to remedy my boredom.

Depending on what I'm doing and who I'm doing it to, sometimes I feel the need to explain myself afterwards. I'll do the weird thing, see the person's reaction, and then laugh and tell them what I was up to. Strangers don't get this luxury. :p

And yeah, I also make sarcastic/mean comments occassionally. It can be pretty interesting to see how completely flabbergasted people can get. Especially from something coming from me...the "quiet, nice" one. I sometimes feel like people don't care about me one way or the other, so having them react to me in some way at all is strangely satisfying. (Of course, I don't make these comments just for the hell of it. Only when somebody is being absolutely ridiculous. Usually in situations where nobody else will say anything, and I've finally had enough.)

BlueSprout

/X\(:: :: )/X\
MBTI Type
pfni
Enneagram
And yeah, I also make sarcastic/mean comments occassionally. It can be pretty interesting to see how completely flabbergasted people can get. Especially from something coming from me...the "quiet, nice" one. I sometimes feel like people don't care about me one way or the other, so having them react to me in some way at all is strangely satisfying.

:yes:

I can relate to this. I wish I could be blase about it, but when a mean thing slips out, I tend to apologize all over it, taking away any cool or shock value points it might have had. When I say something cruel or catty, it tends to be an issue of a lack of self-censorship. Dead baby jokes and morbid non-sequiturs, on the other hand... :devil:

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I've consciously developed my personal style around aspects that I know will be eye-catching or exaggerate what makes me different.
I don't think it's unreasonable or uncommon, really, to want to make a personal statement like this through clothes, etc.

As far as intentionally spontaneously saying or doing things to ruffle others feathers, I think I've learned to control the impulse.
A few years ago, I simply couldn't resist any opportunity to make people thing I was strange; I thought it made me look cute.
However, I've realized that this behavior was never particularly endearing.
In most situations, I know I've said things in order to draw attention to an issue in which I had been heavily emotionally invested, but not to emotionally hurt someone.

Clydesdale

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
At the lunch table in high school...

With maybe half a dozen girls watching...

I ate an entire 24 pack of Listerine Cool Mint Strips. (Well, I never swallowed. It's effectively mouth wash and that's not safe. :D)

I couldn't taste for three days afterward, but everyone was highly amused. Throughout the whole experience everyone was laughing and asking me to write down what was going on since I couldn't talk with my mouth full.

For me, I think I do things like that because nobody expects them out of quiet, unassuming me. That gives me the power to add a dash of whimsy to everybody's day with the unexpected. Anybody just going through their day on autopilot is suddenly jolted back into the moment from seeing the experience, and that's a great thing.

Another reason I do it is because it's a quick way to invite people into my head and into my world. Since I'm not much of a talker, it bottom-lines the benevolence, joy, and laughter I feel when around people I care about.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
At the lunch table in high school...

With maybe half a dozen girls watching...

I ate an entire 24 pack of Listerine Cool Mint Strips. (Well, I never swallowed. It's effectively mouth wash and that's not safe. :D)

I couldn't taste for three days afterward, but everyone was highly amused. Throughout the whole experience everyone was laughing and asking me to write down what was going on since I couldn't talk with my mouth full.

For me, I think I do things like that because nobody expects them out of quiet, unassuming me. That gives me the power to add a dash of whimsy to everybody's day with the unexpected. Anybody just going through their day on autopilot is suddenly jolted back into the moment from seeing the experience, and that's a great thing.

Another reason I do it is because it's a quick way to invite people into my head and into my world. Since I'm not much of a talker, it bottom-lines the benevolence, joy, and laughter I feel when around people I care about.
You totally hit the nail in the head, man.
It's such an awesome feeling when you manage to get a whole group of people (or even one person) to burst into laughter, ESPECIALLY when no one expects it from you.

A

A window to the soul

On very rare occassion, yes...

I know it probably seems a bit contradictory, since INFPs initially like to avoid the possibility of conflict, but I've been pondering on it since yesterday after I ate all of the leafy garnish off my spaghetti to see what my sister would do XD;;

But yeah, I've noticed that, when the opportunity arises, I love to do odd, spontanious things just so I can get a reaction (and then laugh about it). I know Ns usually have an odd sense of humour, but I have to know if this is an INFP thing or just me lol Anyone? Anyone?

I think that may be weird Ne-aux stuff, spurred by Fi needing to be unique. Ne likes to explore and get reactions. That's why Ne-doms provoke a lot. INFPs may be subtler because of that conflict avoidance.

I definitely do this sometimes. I also get a perverse pleasure from people thinking I am odd from something I say/do/wear and from saying something bitingly sarcastic / mean on occasion. I'm not outright mean a lot, but sometimes the rebellious side of me wells up and spills over.

I consider myself INFP and I do that twisted thing you do. ;)

Last edited:

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe we're just a bit screwed-up:jew:

It seems like we almost have comedic potential in a silent movie sort of manner:yes:

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I do it, too. I like hitting people from odd angles simply to see how they adapt/react. Plus, it keeps things interesting.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

Yeah, that's it.

I do these things. I haven't thought why. I mean, it's not only to get reaction, sometimes I amuse myself, especially in public. I might be on a bus stop waiting and start walking around or swaying in a more than casual manner. I might jump a bit or something like this... But if I am with friends, then it might really get out of control, then it will be something like running naked in the forest. And then with some less friendly people, like relatives, who I am not sure will like my stunts, I might do something less weird but still a bit odd. Like, if everyone sits around the living room at grandpa's birth day looking all formal, I might just go an sit on the floor like a five-year-old, to show the grown-ups they can loosen up.

But I don't do mean stuff. It's always to get a positive reaction.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
LOL Yeah, I'm always sitting around on the kitchen floor like a little kid, not so much as to get a reaction, it's just something I've always done.

sweavo

MBTI Type
INFP
I've been a clown all my life. Only just starting to modify that behaviour after realising how often it is not received as "share this unique and amusing perception of the world with me" but rather "I do not value my own dignity".

Besides the clowning, I love to subvert things but my whole family does that and we are all different types. Sometimes I cannot resist provoking someone whose behaviour seems unreasonable to me. This often does not go well!

Finally, in relationships I habitually fail to enforce boundaries, not particularly valuing my own boundaries and regarding them as artificial and negotiable... but then after a while a resentful streak emerges and I create situations to test my partner's reponse. Hopefully last year's relationship counselling has put a stop to that for future relationships :)

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
My INFP friend used to work at a hotel where the Queen was staying when she visited Edmonton. He issued an invitation to the Royal Family to come for tea at his house, then insisted that his wife and he dress up and waited expectantly all morning...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well duh. The Queen might be coming over - it would only be proper.

peterbreter

MBTI Type
INFP
I tend to do things where if other people did them, the crew wouldn't find it particularly funny, but since it is me, people think it's hilarious. I barely talk at all when people first know me, so it is jarring when I do start to get daring. So yea, basically just rehashing what you other peeps said.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes when I'm relaxed enough and silly enough to be a bit mischievous. normally I just don't bother as it tends to be a bit of a hit and miss thing with me. and yet I still do it for the hell of it from time to time.