• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF's what jobs have you tried and liked-disliked?

hermeticdancer

MBTI Type
eNFp
Enneagram
NF's What are your jobs that you have tried and liked?

--------------------------------
-for me
working in a french restaurant as a hostess (liked the regal atmosphere, but mostly the people I worked with, the waitstaff were so smart and fun, a few had masters degrees)

promotions-brand ambassador, or spokes model- talking and giving information to people.

dancer- on stage.

speech coach

nursing assistant-in one facility where management was very liberal, supportive and "person centered," helping with people's needs.

one on one tutor for disabled persons, teaching them Reading, writing and English, reading coach, writing coach. Elementary Fiction.

Jobs I have disliked...
Collections agency, call center (accounts receivables)
Office assistant
Nursing assistant in hospital (med surg)
(nursing assistant in psych ward, was more tolerable, but still stressful)
work site instructor for disabled persons
driver
shopper
home health aide
cashier
real estate assistant
retail sales and merchandising

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
As a teenager I worked with my hands a lot. Mowing lawns, shoveling snow, cleaning contracts. Good work with great pay (for a teenager!) but very repetitive. It was long and agonizing mentally. But it cultivates discipline and work ethic.

Worked at McDonalds for a year in college. Even after a few pay raises it was my lowest paying job, but because of the raises I was getting paid well for retail- several dollars more than minimum wage. It was interesting working in drive through though because they keep time stats for service and it was a great challenge keeping the time down and working super fast.

After college up to now I've had a law-clerk type position. Not exactly that but it's hard to describe. It is very high stress with a 5pm document filing deadline every day (Try getting a document in at three pm and getting it prepped, then at 4:50 you literally sprint to the courthouse, and oh yeah if you don't your employer gets sued and you lose your job... yeah). But it changes all the time and I handle different tasks from research to filing documents in court. And I get paid a lot. That helps. Plus I work with an INFJ so we have many long conversations about stuff that only interests NF's, and he has a listening ear for his "conspiracy" (or are they:ninja:) theories.

Clydesdale

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm in sales, and finding it a lousy fit. Cold calling people and faxing out fliers only to get a 2% or so response rate is demoralizing. That and I'm selling industrial equipment, which doesn't exactly stimulate the imagination.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
retail also. Only job I've ever held yet. Incredibly boring obviously, time occupier/income source strictly. However, I've had some decent memories there sure enough. Although, if I wasn't in school right now I'd probably want to off myself.

I'd like to work with pew pew lasers

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
i worked at a multimedia place, sold video games, books and music and rented out movies.
i loved the discount on books and discount on coffee drinks. in the back room, i sorta hated it, being alone. cashier, i met different people but working on the floor, i found it better answering questions of helping people find the things they need. before moving from one job to another, i look for other positions that i would most enjoy or rotate when it gets repetitive. ultimately i left due to lack of hours, longevity was much more.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Retail - boring. Customers are irritating. They had the audacity to push me to sell when I got 0 commission.

Tutoring - not bad. I've tutored K-2 grade, middle school and HS students in math and reading/English. It's pretty satisfying and most kids are manageable one on one. I'm private tutoring again on the side, and if I could build up enough clients I could make decent money.

Daycare volunteer - I did this as work study in college. Similar to tutoring in concept, except I was helping a group of kids with homework. It was AWFUL. Daycare kids are bratty and/or needy, have tons of energy after school, and the last thing they want to do is homework. Kids in groups are less manageable also.

Graphic Design - it would be great if not for the crappy pay you have to hunt people down to get, business partners who steal money, and clients who drive you insane. The business part of it sucks, and it can suck all the joy out of the creative process also, especially when your design is slaughtered or you have to create something downright ugly. It's also hard to get work - too many designers out there, especially too many crappy ones who lowball.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Let's see:

Modeling and jr. "buyer" for a retail store as a teenager: I liked it, but found it pretty superficial. Met lots of fun people though, and getting involved in side volunteer efforts made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile.

Temp assembly line worker for a manufacturing company: I loved this job. I got to use power tools, and build kitchen appliances. My best friend and ex decided to work this place together, and we had a blast with all of the regulars. It was heaven!

Temp assembly line work part 2: Loved it again. Got to build lawn mowers and use even bigger power tools!! I was promoted to oversight because they liked me so much and I understood how things worked, but I was slow with the equipment.:D

I worked the concession stand at a minor league baseball stadium. That was cool, not really my thing though.

I was a hostess at a restaurant for a few years. :heart:One of the most fun jobs I've ever had, but it was more because of the people I worked with than anything else.

I got a job as a sale's manager for a travel agency my sophomore year in college, which began my, I'm sure, life long love affair with sales and marketing. I've worked as a sale's closer in different industries, a travel agent, and an agent owner. I've always had a thing for working straight commission. I got so much excitement from the idea that I might not get paid at all if I didn't produce, but that the sky was the limit if I did. Huge motivator!:moonwalk:

I worked for a human resources firm as benefit's manager. I really enjoyed my clients and my co-workers. Working in a service oriented field was refreshing, and it spoke to my core. I quickly got promoted, but then ended up fully bed rested during my pregnancy.:sadbanana: I ultimately decided to stay home and raise my son.

Political freelance writer: Again, loved it. Worked on tough deadlines, but I like being under pressure. I made my own schedule, which worked well for me.

Full-time stay at home mom.:D You don't get paid in money, but it's fantastic all the same.

I've worked for myself for years now, and I like having the flexibility and control to wake up when I want and self-manage.

I can't say I've ever had a job I didn't like at all. I've always found people who work with me, or who I work for(customers), who've made it all worthwhile. Working is fun to me.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Jobs I've Disliked:
-Legal Assistant (although I did enjoy spending time with my coworkers) at a private law firm (the good guys who fight the chemical corporations)
-retail (yuck)
- flower shop- did everything there, hated it (I cut flowers, they cut me- yeah)

Jobs I've liked:
-waitressing (meet a lot of people that way, get lots of tips for socializing)
-dance teacher***My all time favorite- would do this forever, hope one day to do it regularly and teach mainly kids in lower class neighborhoods (No, I did not get my inspiration from that movie with Antonio Banderas.)
-bartending (see waitressing)

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I think I've liked all of my jobs for the most part.

My first job was corn de-tasseling when I was thriteen, in Michigan where I'm from they used children for their farm labor. I did that every summer until I was seventeen. I actually sort of liked it, the pay was pretty good for a month of work.

I worked at a deli, which was so so.

I was a waitress at a Chinese restaurant for a few years, and this job I really enjoyed. It was a small family restaurant and I liked the owners a lot.

When I turned eighteen I worked in a halfway house for schizophrenic individuals. I really liked that job. It was incredibly interesting and I got to help people.

I managed a small cafe in a bookstore. I loved that job as well.

I was a waitress again at a small fishing pier that served the best grouper sandwich ever. I loved that job because I dealt with happy people on vacation. <-- Say what you will about tourists, but at least they were happy to be on the island I worked on and they tipped well.

Up until recently I worked doing payroll in a construction company... This job was my least favorite. It wasn't bad but it was slightly boring.

For the first time since I was thirteen I have no job, but I'm back in school full time so I think it's prefect :D.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Let's see...

Convenience store clerk: Hated the routine and having to do menial work, liked (I'm sure more in retrospect) encountering all different types of people.
Lab assistant in a microbiology lab: Way more interesting in theory than in practice. Had to deal with noxious materials and occasionally questionable working conditions.
Library assistant: The routine was frustrating and I think I'd pull my hair out after too long, but it was a nice break from classes and I loved my coworkers. Librarians are awesome.
Psychiatric care worker: Good, if often extremely unsettling, experience. High burnout rate, especially, I'd imagine, for idealists.
Adolescent counselor: This is my current job, and I love it, but I definitely wish that I were more extraverted at times. It's very rewarding, but the constant interaction can be draining.

Kool Keith

MBTI Type
INFP
Retail sales for a cell phone company. HATED it.

Lots of restaurant work. Meh. It is what it is.

Typist at a law firm. Billing/receivables type job for a car company. Like(d) both of these as they are both isolated and repetitive, which I tend to like. In my current job at the car company I like some of the side projects working with spreadsheets and creating new internal processes. I also get to listen to my iPod all day, which is a major plus for me.

WieldingTheSword

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Babysitting-- Enjoyed/still enjoy it. I did it a lot during the summer after high school, and I still do it a few times a month. Love kids and want a lot of my own. It is not always the most fulfilling or intellectually stimulating experience to babysit, but I am not their mother, so the situation isn't exactly comparable to motherhood.

Tutoring-- I really like teaching and explaining concepts one-on-one, so for the most part I enjoyed this job. Plus, I tutored my cousin of all people, so I got lots of breaks, free food, money, PLUS plenty of laughs.

Student assistant-- Right now I work as a student assistant in an administrative office on campus. It's incredibly dull and slow-paced, but easy (I'm at work right now, lol). I don't mind the tasks (filing, typing, etc.), but I would definitely prefer to work more with people directly and to do something more "of value."

Piano teacher?-- I am currently considering quitting this job and taking a job offer to go teach kids beginner piano. I think I'd enjoy this way more... especially at $32/hour.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Jobs I dislike(d):
-Retail- shitty pay. Torture.
-Graphic Design- Freelance/full-time. Sitting behind a computer for 40 hrs/week did not do it for me. Freelance work requires that you're good at negotiating contracts, and I would say it accounts for at least 50% of the work. On the other hand, I really loved working at my own pace, and being able to stay at home and blast up my music.
-Secretarial
-Optician- boring.

Jobs I loved:
-Volunteer Math tutor at the local community college. I loved working with retired professors/students who craved learning. Very inspiring atmosphere.

-Volunteerwork overseas with the American Pediatrics Society- really fun, really draining, well worth the trip.

-Working at the pharmacy- Clicked w/INTJ boss. I love her. I also loved being able to work as a translator, and most of all, being able to offer really cheap meds for those who really need it. I loved connecting with the customers. I also really enjoyed my coworkers.

Careers that attract me most:
-Has to have some kind of social activity involved.
-Allows room for improvisation, creativity, and something that I can see myself growing and branching out in.
-Something that fits my values.
-Academia

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Teaching dance: Meh. It's something I can do, but I don't enjoy it. Which isn't fair to whoever I'm teaching...

Cafeteria at college: Fuuuuuuuuck I hated this job. Too fast paced. At the end of each day I felt like my brain had exploded.

And my bosses were terrible. I had to change my schedule once because I got a part in the faculty dance concert, so I went out of my way to make an appointment with them. I explained the situation and gave them a printed-out version of my rehearsal schedule. They were really nice about it, so we figured out what new shifts I would be working. Boss #1 is typing it in the computer, boss #2 is writing it down on a sheet of paper. 2 months later, and they're (out of the blue) telling me I've missed work 5 times and are calling my room on Saturday mornings...while I'm in rehearsal. I kindly remind them about the time I went in to talk to them, and they flat-out told me it never happened. :shock: I ended up quitting before the school year was even over.

Babysitting: No. Never again. I've learned the only children I like are my younger siblings. (Or well-behaved ones.)

Mail Center at college: The Best Job of All Time. Really. So it basically boiled down to sorting things all day, but it turns out sorting and organizing is actually mentally relaxing for me. The only thing I didn't like was answering the phone, but I got over that eventually. It was very low-key...there were people who would come in to mail things or pick up stuff, but it wasn't overly busy. Plus, I only worked with maybe 2 other people, and my boss, so you got to know each other pretty well. Of course it got boring at times, but nothing too terrible. Like I said, you got to know each other really well, so during down times we had some pretty interesting conversations. :D

Teaching English to Japanese kids: Nope. I did this job as an experiment, just to see what would happen. I wasn't very good at it.

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I haven't liked most of the jobs I've had. (enjoyed would be a better word)

I worked in car sale as an assistant/secretary and in cafes&diners and I really started to dislike it because of the hurry and dealing with so_many_people in a horrible rush and the repetition. I mean I disliked them both but not because they sucked as such but I didn't enjoy them that much either.

Babysitting I've surprisingly found extremely rewarding. I always thought I'd never get along with kids but in the contrary I feel like it's very satisfying and enjoyable and ... natural.

I think I'd really like to work in a small coffee shop or a bookstore, or some kind of an organic foodstore.. Without the horrible rush..

Chloe

not many for now,

doing various phone questionarres.... - heh, it's boring, but again, it's easier than many other students jobs.

and math tutoring, i LOVE that one, because it's better payed, and i love to teach.

maybe some other too, cant remember.

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
this may not be a NF thing particularly but work choice has been one of the toughest decisions i've had to make for myself. but then again maybe it has been a heart concern, finding the right vocation, being that i still don't feel i've found my calling.

the most rewarding job i've held were those working with people, disabled people at that, but this could be due to my age and station in life. i've finally realized i have to work to maintain my independence, so i have put in a greater effort thus developing my potential and receiving greater feedback from my work and from what i'm capable of doing.

if i had it to do again, i would choose to work in a writing career maybe editing alas my spelling stinks, but have no doubt about becoming very good at this. i would have also liked directing film or being a cinematographer. maybe i would have chosen to work hard towards a path in dance like the choreography portion of it.

if i had to work somewhere for minimum wage it would be working in a copy center or else filing somewhere. i am an introvert for sure.

Lemonade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Retail - boring. Customers are irritating. They had the audacity to push me to sell when I got 0 commission.

Just wondering, was this retail job at Best Buy?

v.v I worked there for two years, and that was by far, the worst job ever. And I disagreed with their selling strategies. Conning people with the foot-in-the-door technique was basically the companies mission statement.

Also, a soccer referee. One would think that parents of 8 -10 year old kids wouldn't be very competitive, but they would start physical fights with each other during half time, causing games to end early, and coaches getting banned from the league. What kind of example is that for your children?? >=/

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Liked:
-Piano teacher (disliked when I taught nothing but unmotivated five-year-olds)
-High School English Teacher (HATE the bureaucracy so much though)
-Mural painting (can zone out while making art... it's pretty awesome)

Disliked:
-House painting (oh god the monotony... and it never ends)