User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Let's see...

Liked:
    Desktop Publishing - liked the creative side of it but got good at it pretty quickly and then got bored. Also, liked that I could focus on what I was doing and generally be left alone.
    Waitress - wouldn't want to do it for a long time, but for a summer job during school, it was ok.
    Sales at Victoria's Secret - really don't like sales in general, but I liked the laid back attitude at VS and the classical music.
    Veterinary Assistant - love animals but didn't like the putting them to sleep part.
    Medical Transcription - was good at it and the earphones were the perfect thing to stop people from talking to me when I didn't want them to.
    Newspaper obituary writer - was very formulaic, so no real creativity, but liked being in the newsroom and basically worked alone but could talk to people when I wanted to.

Dislike(d):
    My current career as a gynecologist - for too many reasons to mention, but the top ones - too much stress (not from the care of patients per se but from fighting with insurance companies and patients to pay and worrying about lawsuits), lack of creativity, having to function within strict rules and regulations set by others, call. But even worse was when I did...
    OB - Oh my God I hated it. Stress, stress, stress and monotony! And, absolutely NO creativity. You have to follow guidelines to obviously avoid hurting anyone, but sometimes the guidelines aren't necessarily the best thing for the individual patient but you still have to follow them to avoid lawsuits. Glad that's over with!!!
    Retail at The Limited - they wanted me to be all perky and stuff, ughh!
    Telemarketing - do I need to explain?
    Tutor - don't seem to have enough patience when people don't get things quickly that I find obvious.
    Likes Froody Blue Gem liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Ne

One job that I have tried and disliked was a stock clerk type job with some retail things involved. The tasks there weren't so bad once I got the hang of it. The part I didn't like was when customers needed help, the socialization bit. This was my first job ever so a lot of new stuff. There was a lot that I didn't know and am generally awkward when dealing with people, I prefer a job with little interaction with costumers. "I don't know" or anything along those lines is not an acceptable answer. I struggled with getting the tasks done quick enough as well.

I get the impression that my supervisor at that job didn't really like me much either. Near the end, things got better but thinking back on that job, I remember the negative over the positive. It was also my last year of high school, when I was dipping my toe into the world of adulting so it was a dark stressful year that year.
    9w1 5w4 2w3 sp/so

I couldn't Understand how you could be so bold.
    Maybe I'll find myself smiling on that distant shore...
    Maybe I'm not alone.

Melancholic-Phlegmatic
    O- High C- Average E- Extremely Hilariously Low A- Extremely High N-Medium High

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Absolutely hated anything in the food industry. Also hated sales - where you work on commission/follow people around. Unpleasant.

Call center - I did fundraising for universities. That was ok. If it were telemarketing or debt collecting, it would’ve been really negative on a daily basis.

Security guard - boring, but also ok. Had time to read or do college hw. It was an overnight job in a giant corporate office maze building.

Retail/cashier - didn’t like it, but didn’t abhor it the way I did with food/sales.

I did unpaid volunteer work at animal shelters in the past, and that was rewarding. I probably wouldn’t mind a job as a vet tech (requires more school though), even if animals are ill or stressed. I’m usually good at calming them down/reading them. I think I’d probably get too angry about negligent or ignorant owners, though. Like people who feed their pets loads of table scraps or crazy hippies who use essential oils on animals (can poison them). I’d either get fired or become a silently very hateful person. I’d probably be too paranoid about bringing germs home to my cat, at this point, too.

Remote assistant for an online talent agency - that was a good job. Mostly virtual paper pushing, but it revolved around what I’m passionate about in some capacity, so it was still interesting. Nice to work from home.

Extras- as in, these don’t count as “jobs,” but I did get paid:

- Participant in clinical trials. I’ve been in like, 5 different paid studies for migraine medications over the past few yrs. They paid a couple hundred at the very least, & one was $700 at the most. Was nice to be compensated for trying new treatments, since I was doing that unpaid anyway.

- Consumer product testing. Pays practically peanuts (like between $5-$25 per product, & you don’t always qualify to t3st the product, so opportunities aren’t consistent/terribly frequent, but it all varies based on the company. You get to try new products for free before they’re out. Gotten a variety of things to test in the past year or so:
    - bar soaps
    - hair mousse
    - skin care kit
    - paper towels
    - a frozen dinner (they shipped it to me packed in dry ice, which was pretty neat)
    - antiperspirant
    - kitty litter
    - bath gel
    - scented candles

... to name a few.
    Last edited by Lexicon; 06-30-2019 at 03:45 AM.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

A job I’ve enjoyed? Well I didn’t get paid but DJing back in college. I’ve always been passionate about music and I have the voice for it so yeah that was fun.

Everything else has been because I had to or because it paid fairly well but I hated it. Planning ahead has never been a strong suit of mine. I also don’t share the values of my society. Intangibles hold more value to me than bragging rights and how many figures I can reap. I constantly feel like an alien. Still, I wouldn’t change my views.
    There is no mysterious essence we can call a 'place'. Place is change. It is motion killed by the mind, and preserved in the amber of memory.
    J. A. Baker
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

Enneagram

I have loved all of the jobs I have had. As a younger person, I worked in a copy center (organization really floats my boat) and at a call center (my phone skills are actually pretty good when I'm 'in mode'). I loved the fast paced nature of the restaurant business, but the fast-pacedness also resulted in my really sucking as a waitress (overwhelmed busy-brain). But I have always been a social worker. Fulfills my need to stay busy and useful, problem solve and live in a world saturated with feelings. Although the flip side is that it irritates those other aspects of my personality (feeling rushed often, many, many demands, not always having the answer, dealing with heavy, intense and overwhelming emotions regularly). Still I could do nothing else-Full on committed!

Saprophytic Aphrodite Peter Deadpan's Avatar

I'm a slave to society and don't know what happiness and fulfillment are.
    Perpetual mood

"It is not the personality's task to tell the truth,
    but to seem to, try to, or try to seem to."

Philip Trussell

Likes Abcdenfp, Cellmold, LunarEclipse777 liked this post

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    First you go find yourself a wishing star, you see, then you close your eyes really tight, fill your thoughts with a basket of cuddly puppies . . . take notes . . .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Let's see...

Long, long ago, in the late 90's and start of the 2000's... I did temp jobs over the summer and then some longer term ones post-college, that placed me in various companies, where I did mostly data entry, with other office type work. Never had to do phone assignments, though, which was a preference. I liked all of these gigs because they were short term, kept me busy since because they needed a temp they had definite work that needed to be done, and they were all non-customer interfacing. There were teams I worked with but nothing customer service related. Which was good. (This was back when temp work was a different world, unlike how it now is - you just got assignments and there weren't interview rigaramoles or nonsense like that; and there were many gigs to be had).

Volunteer version of an interpretive park ranger -- staffed the visitor's center, led hikes, created programs and gave presentations. I loved working for the park service and in a field I found meaningful. I did not care for leading the hikes; it was manageable for a short term job but career-wise it would probably have been too much for me as an introvert. That said I was such a youngun and these days I might be able to swing it better.

A few short-term environmental education jobs with county government and a watershed district -- enjoyed the subject matter, again, a field I found important/meaningful. Enjoyed making displays, pamphlets, any more creative endeavors; was less keen on the 1:1 customer consulting and interaction.

Financial services industry - many jobs over the years, from service rep to business systems analyst to project manager --- Liked the testing/analysis / requirements writing portion; disliked anything involving phone rep stuff and being the person running the meetings. (getting a theme, here? I worked 8+ years in these types of corporate jobs; the biggest issue however was the existential issues I ran into; just sitting in a cubicle day in and day out doing this ultimately (in my view) pointless endeavor, it all just made me quite depressed in a sense.

Briefly taught K-3rd graders for a spring season at a butterfly pavilion; enjoyed the subject matter, it was a good learning experience, but I'm not designed for teaching in a classroom environment. I did adequately well / got good feedback but it was too much of a natural stretch of my personality.

Coffee shop barista/ shift supervisor - enjoy always being on the move, not being chained to a desk or cubicle, variety of tasks and though there's monotony in every job out there, there seems to be less of it with this one. Enjoy opportunities I've been given in taking care of flower planters, doing signage, think I am good at running a team/floor, take people into account. Dislike the grind of customers (the people element is *really* difficult to deal with and it is cyclical for me, my ability to cope well with it) and their demands, and it can be challenging working with some people who are pretty slow / not very intelligent. There are enough here with strong education or varied enough backgrounds though that generally it stays interesting/ the people I work with are decent. It equates to a great lifestyle overall but there are drawbacks.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've hated most jobs that I've had. They were necessary evils. Instead of getting a degree or pursuing a career, I got married and had three kids, so I don't really have the luxury of doing what I like to do, which would be illustration/fine art/film/other creative job.

My mom waited until she raised me and my four brothers and then she got her law degree, so I guess I'll probably do something similar, like finish my art degree when the kids are all grown.

Some of the jobs I've had:

Mc Donald's customer service rep -- when I was 14.
    It was terrible. It was really hard and very low pay. Really shitty hours, and no respect at all.

Chuck E Cheese's customer service rep -- around 16 years old
    Same as above.

Various cashier/customer service rep jobs -- Rite Aid, local hardware store, grocery, etc - 17-30 years old
    Same as above.

State Job - Office Assistant -- in my 30s to the present (I'm 43 now).
    Wow, does this job suck. But it pays the bills, and makes my family happy.

Pastor of a small, rural Baptist church -- I really enjoyed this, but it was hard because they couldn't afford to pay me anything, so I had to work full time while doing it, and I got burnt out.
    Really miss those days.

One of my goals is to one day produce a short graphic novel. And hopefully, after that, make many more. But right now, with all of my responsibilities, its very hard.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Deadpan View Post
    Just.. I heart you
    blow a kiss to the universe and it is certain to wink at you in return.