• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and bad taste in music.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
I have a hard time not doing this. It's terribly shallow, but I cannot help it.... :D

It's not necessarily shallow. If someone likes Linkin Park they're asking to be judged..:steam:

(I like heavy metal in general and Tool btw)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFJ is literally the last type I would expect to have bad taste in music. The INFJs I know are pretty uniformly well-educated in music and listen to a variety of interesting stuff.

The one person I know who listens to the most music and knows the most about its history and background is an INFJ.

I second. And I third for ISFPs. Grizzly Bear & Animal Collective, anyone?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
judging others by their music isn't shallow. it's specifically tied to their treatment of the self (read: identification). i like people who identify in a complex and authentic way.

aesthetics endorse your way of viewing the world, interpreting your own place within it, and making your experience meaningful. as a creature of meaning, this is absolutely imperative for me. i always need more meaning, i can never get enough.

musically my (imaginary) band has an infp on bass (the sensibility!), an entp on the sound technologies, an enfp somewhere towards the front, an intj on rhythm guitar/keyboards, and myself doing good knows what. the enfp making melody and me completing whatever it is that needs to be completed (animal collective is the greatest example of iNtuitive band dynamics i've ever seen, infj panda bear, possible entp geologist, enfp avey tare, if only i remembered the other guy)

it's like a checklist when eating food, texture, seasoning, savory or sweet, acidity, aromatics, color, shapes, plating/presentation, etc.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have been told many times about my shitty taste in music.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Tastes are relative. I listen to music that isn't widely appreciated... a weird variety indeed, with musicals being what I listen to mostly these days. I have the Les Miserables OST playing on my computer atm. I think people don't emotionally tune into music the same way, so while I feel no attachment to most popular music with empty meaning and lyrics, others cannot get the point of my music either.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
infjs seem to love scoring music, listening to scores, etc.

dylate

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have an INFJ friend that listens to some pretty weird music, but I wouldn't say all are bad. I don't think I would appreciate or even know about certain artists without him playing it in the car. He loves Radiohead, which I can agree with btw.

All in all, hes a pretty strange guy and incredibly hard to understand, but genuine and very much true to himself. I can't say that for many people.

Btw whats wrong with Linkin Park?? They are great for karaoke.

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
(animal collective is the greatest example of iNtuitive band dynamics i've ever seen, infj panda bear, possible entp geologist, enfp avey tare, if only i remembered the other guy)

I miss Deakin.

I have a very broad range when it comes to music. Not sure if INFJ-ness was a contributing factor in taste, but I do know for sure that obsessive studying of music literature when I was 12 had pretty much set me up to be a lifelong record collector. While I like my tastes, I was certainly viewed as having weird/bad tastes by just about all my peers growing up.

But my tastes have never really been congruent with the outside world anyway (with the exception of the mid/late 90's when I was 13 and all about indie rock). Like, I do enjoy Animal Collective, but I'm nowhere near as passionate about them as I am with their influences (Sun City Girls, Holy Modal Rounders, etc.). I've always been more of a musical archaeologist, digging through old, dirty records than new Dirty Projectors. Perhaps my outdated tastes reflect my inability to live in the same time period as others.

While critics often rate the records I happen to love very highly, people still consider my tastes bad. But I don't mind because I enjoy what I listen to. Maybe most rock critics are INFJ's?

Esoteric Wench

Professional Trickster
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I laughed when I saw this thread. Last INFJ I met listed John Denver as one of his favorite musicians on his facebook page. Egad! Only straight guy I've ever known who would publicly admit this.

Up until this point, I had considered that he might be an INTJ. Ha! I don't think so. :devil:

Tea-Snob

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Speaking for myself I think my taste in music is riddle with double standards so I can see that people might see that as being bad taste.

The very idea that my listening to a certain type music would reflect to others a lifestyle or outward expression of my inner self is abhorent to me! This is why I never fully embraced the fads and cultural movements that dominated my teenage years. I had passion and joy for all of it, but it was all happening inside for the most part.

Music for me is a rich experience on many levels. I can critique the production values and musicianship of a song whilst at the same time be completely immersed in the emotion. I will also often seek out a song that is just fun or shallow; in fact, I will withdraw from music if it's too intensely felt: I can't listen to a whole album of Radiohead or something like that.

I am not sure how representative of other INFJs I am but there it is: I am a musical snob and yet I listen to things that I am sure few red-blooded straight guys would readily admit to lol.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I listen to Radiohead, Rachmaninoff, and Randy Travis ... but I had to laugh when I saw this thread. It reminds me of this guy I used to date whose first comment when he came into my house and gazed over the CDs was "Babe. What is with all this sucky music?"

P

Phantonym

Hehe. My taste in music is so eclectic that there isn't even a chance that everybody could like all the artists I listen to. And they shouldn't. I will always listen to whatever I feel like and respect other people's tastes as well. If you like it, then it's good. It doesn't matter what others think.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
Well - the 2 INFJ's in my life have A W E S O M E taste in music IMO - but you know that thing about opinions....

HollyGolightly

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Everyone hates the music I listen to =(

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not necessarily shallow. If someone likes Linkin Park they're asking to be judged..:steam:

(I like heavy metal in general and Tool btw)

Don't egg me on! :tongue:

(I'm more of an indie/alternative/college rock girl.)

judging others by their music isn't shallow. it's specifically tied to their treatment of the self (read: identification). i like people who identify in a complex and authentic way.

aesthetics endorse your way of viewing the world, interpreting your own place within it, and making your experience meaningful. as a creature of meaning, this is absolutely imperative for me. i always need more meaning, i can never get enough.

I feel similarly, but I have realized that not everyone takes aesthetic taste to be some reflection of the internal person. I'm coming from that perspective, but other people aren't, and it's not fair to assume they are. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm more forgiving of bad taste now :D.

All of my ENFJ friends take music very seriously and proudly call themselves music snobs (I don't know any INFJs IRL well enough to comment). We sit in our ivory tower together and make snarky comments about the masses and their awful taste (kidding!).

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if i figure out how to start a group on the forums, it'll be a musical elitists group. we can have resumes that say something like, i liked mercury rev before they were popping up all over the place in favorites lists all across google maps pitchfork edition.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ oh oh, make sure you add "would gladly fellate thom yorke" and "refuses to give any album in which he is involved less than 9.3/10" to yours!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ oh oh, make sure you add "would gladly fellate thom yorke" and "refuses to give any album in which he is involved less than 9.3/10" to yours!

well i have been looking to settle down with a rich rock star- i need someone to appreciate my cooking! maybe we could have a 4-some with isaak brock while listening to the pretenders back on the chain gang? i'll pencil you (plural) in for thursday?

also you know i don't perform fellatio on other infjs. that's incest. that's gross.

also: animal collective is the new radiohead. it's not the 00s anymore, guy.