• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and trauma

Spry

MBTI Type
infj
I have always felt stupid because things have happened to me that were traumatic in my eyes but had they happened to someone else, they may be somewhat affected but would soon move on and forget.

Am I stupid for being traumatized for being yelled at when I was young for example? Is feeling trauma from such a thing justified?

Other INFJs, what is the most traumatic thing you have experienced or at least say whether you think it would affect a non-INFJ as much as it affected you.

I’m almost embarrassed by my sensitivity. I feel that if I share my traumatic experiences with someone else they’ll say that I’m soft and won’t understand and fathom how such a seemingly small incident could affect someone so much.

Our sensitivity really is blessing and a curse but in my life I feel it has being, more so, a curse.

I'm very phobic and have many complexes because I have painful memories associated with certain things.

Experiences? Thoughts? Am I alone in this?

Thin-skinned INFJ

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:hug: No, I don't think you're alone. I find as an INFJ that forgiving and forgetting is very difficult. Well...actually, I think that I personally am a funny mixture of thick and thin-skinned. There are a lot of things that I consider minor and not remotely worth getting offended over that would wind other people right up. But the things that do hurt me or traumatize me...man, do they ever hurt. If I don't get closure/proper discussion/apologies from the person responsible (or partly responsible, because I try to acknowledge where I've gone wrong too) I can end up hanging onto a grudge for years, literally.

I'm not sure about the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me, but a few years ago I was in a four-month relationship which sent me into a year-long depression when it ended, and took me a total of about 2 years to get over. For a lot of other types (and maybe even some other INFJs!) that would qualify as excessive trauma! But it wasn't that I WANTED to hang onto the pain - it just stuck around and try as I might I couldn't seem to get rid of it.

I think being very sensitive can be a good thing as far as feeling empathy for others, but it can really cause a lot of personal pain/trauma. That's my experience.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
My mom told me how clever I was at least 30 times a day growing up, but the one day that's just emblazoned in my memory was the time I was supposed to reach up and grab a rope to our storage unit (I was eight) and use my weight to pull it down, when lifted by her. It hurt my fingers, but I didn't really say that, I just kept letting go...until she called me a dummy. :cry:

Compared to the names that other kids are called with much greater frequency, that's really not a huge deal, especially considering the amount of stress she was under at the time, but yeah. Traumatized. :doh:

On the flip side, I recall easily, with great warmth, the kind, meaningful things that people have said to me that have made an impact on me. :wubbie:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I have always felt stupid because things have happened to me that were traumatic in my eyes but had they happened to someone else, they may be somewhat affected but would soon move on and forget.

Am I stupid for being traumatized for being yelled at when I was young for example? Is feeling trauma from such a thing justified?

Other INFJs, what is the most traumatic thing you have experienced or at least say whether you think it would affect a non-INFJ as much as it affected you.

I’m almost embarrassed by my sensitivity. I feel that if I share my traumatic experiences with someone else they’ll say that I’m soft and won’t understand and fathom how such a seemingly small incident could affect someone so much.

Our sensitivity really is blessing and a curse but in my life I feel it has being, more so, a curse.

I'm very phobic and have many complexes because I have painful memories associated with certain things.

Thin-skinned INFJ

I'm exactly the same way. Very sensative and easily truamatized. It took me a long time to realize that my fragility was due to co-dependency problems in my family.
Imagine a house. It looks strong, impenetrable. Then a storm hits, and the house is destroyed. How can that be? It looked able to withstand a minor insult, yet it did not.
Something was wrong in the house that you couldn't see. Termites weakened it. It's foundation was compromised.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do INFJ's undo the damage if they don't receive closure?

Do you find it hard to verbalize these traumatic experiences and if so, why?

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

Thin-skinned INFJ

I was sexually molested by a neighbor, both of my parents were drug addicts and we lived in a hood where people died of OD's, were shot and killed or stabbed to death regularly. My mother nearly died birthing my brother (3 months early) and a host of other terrible things. Lots of beatings, was forced into raising my baby brothers because Dad was gone and mom was addicted to drugs. I used to go to the crack house for her with the money and get it for her (dont tell anyone) she would say. I learned a lot of lessons early on about self reliance and not having much of a childhood. I think I have a large bill to pay emotionally one day when I find the right time, but it has also given me vast reserves of internal strength and fortitude with dealing with new pain.

I think that toughed my skin up a lot when I was a boy. I am much tougher today, then again every time I drink alcohol and lose control of myself lots of anger comes out. So I dunno.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

Lots of them just internalize the pain for good. Until way later.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy

I too, had a difficult childhood and never received closure. It wasn't nearly as difficult as Billy's sounds, and I'm not going to go into specifics, but it took me years, to get to the point where I could let go of it all. It did happen though. I never did reckless things to get over it, my mind just worked everything out on it's own, it took its sweet time... I looked at why I felt the way I did and since I had control over that, that is what I worked on.

For the longest time, probably about ten years, I never spoke in depth about my earlier difficulties, I would make jokes but I never talked about any of it seriously. Everything was a joke. It's interesting because I'll say something to one of my best friends, and I grew up with them, but they had no idea, because I never spoke to them about it. Now, however, I can talk about anything, if I feel I can trust you.

To the OP - I also, think that my experiences made me a much stronger person. I don't know who I'd be without them. Everyone grows from their experiences and you tend to do the most soul searching with things that really got to you, so in a way maybe some of them can still be horrible in the short term but helpful in the long term.

You also can't downplay something that "traumatizes" you, it is what it is. One person's bad day is another person's walk in the park. Just work with what you have and try to overcome it. I like constant evolution of self :).

Last edited:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Lots of them just internalize the pain for good. Until way later.

My sister's best friend is INFJ.
Her brother died in front of her eyes when he was 9 years old, She was 12.
She's 50 now, and has never recovered from this. She's a nervous wreck. She is emotionally frozen at the age of 12. And the only way to get over it is to face it, and feel it all again...

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
My sister's best friend is INFJ.
Her brother died in front of her eyes when he was 9 years old, She was 12.
She's 50 now, and has never recovered from this. She's a nervous wreck. She is emotionally frozen at the age of 12. And the only way to get over it is to face it, and feel it all again...

Yes this is true, I have been "self medicating" myself for a while hiding in alcohol or weed, but I had recently taken major steps in fixing this shit. One incident was that I got extremely drunk and smashed all my houses furniture and tv and laptop. I had a major panic attack while at the same time being on fire mentally wanting to crush, rip and eviscerate. The alcohol held the doors open and those feelings couldn't be stopped. My brother came to help me and I ended up collapsing and crying in his arms for a good hour. I hadn't felt so good in a long time afterward, letting all those feelings out that I had been holding onto for 20+ years. There is still a lot of residual feeling left in there which I have been attacking via my writing about shit that happened to me as a kid and growing up, I put it on a public space so my family could read it, and there is no turning back. But I think I am on the right track.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

First, I try to seek closure as much as possible, and I've always gotten it to one degree or another. I wouldn't allow someone I know to traumatize me deeply and get away scot-free.

Undoing the damage involved analyzing the person who hurt me from every possible angle... trying to understand why they acted the way they did, how much was their fault vs. mine, the ways in which their personality type played a role, what their feelings were towards me, how did I feel about them, and what aspects of that person do I feel compassion for, in retrospect. A truly traumatizing situation requires a lot of in-depth exploration. In my case, it has to be analyzed by thinking (Ti) first, then Fe towards the other person (involves compassion and ultimately forgiveness), and Fi (what were my feelings about the situation i.e. how did it make me feel).

I don't find it hard to verbalize traumatic experiences. Talking about it is therapeutic. :)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes this is true, I have been "self medicating" myself for a while hiding in alcohol or weed, but I had recently taken major steps in fixing this shit. One incident was that I got extremely drunk and smashed all my houses furniture and tv and laptop. I had a major panic attack while at the same time being on fire mentally wanting to crush, rip and eviscerate. The alcohol held the doors open and those feelings couldn't be stopped. My brother came to help me and I ended up collapsing and crying in his arms for a good hour. I hadn't felt so good in a long time afterward, letting all those feelings out that I had been holding onto for 20+ years. There is still a lot of residual feeling left in there which I have been attacking via my writing about shit that happened to me as a kid and growing up, I put it on a public space so my family could read it, and there is no turning back. But I think I am on the right track.

It sounds like you are, Billy. Keep going, no matter how much it hurts. I have found that dealing with old feelings aren't isn't as bad once you resolve to finally really feel them.
In April, I lost my older sister (Karen) to an overdose of drugs and alcohol, so this stuff is pretty important to me. She and I had the same parents, although she had it worse than I did. Her death has made me start to see the pain I have pushed away...
I medicate with weed daily, but I know I have to stop. I'm beginning to see the spiritual folly of such a path. I now see that whatever you don't face starts to face you, until that's about all you can see. It has been really shocking to discover that so much of what I thought of as my 'self' is based on a bunch of tape loops from childhood, that have outlived their usefulness. What was helpful to prevent total collapse then, is now an impediment to growth. What you don't face, demands attention one way or another.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
It sounds like you are, Billy. Keep going, no matter how much it hurts. I have found that dealing with old feelings aren't isn't as bad once you resolve to finally really feel them.

I medicate with weed daily, but I know I have to stop. I'm beginning to see the spiritual folly of such a path. I now see that whatever you don't face starts to face you, until that's about all you can see. It has been really shocking to discover that so much of what I thought of as my 'self' is based on a bunch of tape loops from childhood, that have outlived their usefulness. What was helpful to prevent total collapse then, is now an impediment to growth. What you don't face, demands attention one way or another.

:yes:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I was sexually molested by a neighbor, both of my parents were drug addicts and we lived in a hood where people died of OD's, were shot and killed or stabbed to death regularly. My mother nearly died birthing my brother (3 months early) and a host of other terrible things. Lots of beatings, was forced into raising my baby brothers because Dad was gone and mom was addicted to drugs. I used to go to the crack house for her with the money and get it for her (dont tell anyone) she would say. I learned a lot of lessons early on about self reliance and not having much of a childhood. I think I have a large bill to pay emotionally one day when I find the right time, but it has also given me vast reserves of internal strength and fortitude with dealing with new pain.

I think that toughed my skin up a lot when I was a boy. I am much tougher today, then again every time I drink alcohol and lose control of myself lots of anger comes out. So I dunno.

We could have an interesting who's angrier competition.

Although I suspect you would win out in the end.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9

This is why I love MMA. Its a way to get over the pain without having to use substances as a crutch.

EDIT: I still use substances as a crutch though.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Internalizing conflict is relatively common for all the INXX's, though in different ways. The fact that we are introverts who read in-between the lines means that we often blow things out of proportion, for better or for worse. After all, from what little I have seen (which admittedly is not that much) most of the different sob stories on this forum (or at least the N branches) are from the INXX's.

This often confounds others. My ENFJ mother has always criticized me for being too clingy to only the bad memories and for blowing them out of proportion. Sometimes this has been true, but more often than not its her being confounded by my introversion. We live in a society that is dominated by E's and S's. INXX's aren't wired for these types of stimuli, and it may very well be negatively effecting us in our own unique ways.

By nature, the INFJ's are the least able to disconnect from such a society.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Wanted to add, Billy, that I think INFJs might actually have a leg up on other types when it comes to sorting through hard core trauma and bringing it to closure. :hug: I've been through some really significant crap in my life, too, including the SA of me and my sib, and I've found that being self-aware and sorting through what makes the person who hurt me tick, however screwed up it might be, is actually empowering and cathartic.

From the outside, it can look like obsession to others while you're sorting through it, but, really, being able to understand your child self from an adult perspective can help you know yourself. We might internalize things easily, but we can untangle them relatively quickly, too, and come away with a good understanding of why everything happened the way it did. I think we cling to memories, because we know there's something there that's worth understanding...we just need to noodle it for a while. That's half the healing battle, IMO.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
"The Highly Sensitive Person" and "The Highly Sensitive Person in Love", both by Elaine Aron.

Whether it be the sounds of a loud fire truck, blaring loud music, physical ailments/symptoms, being yelled at or criticized, experiencing a difficult childhood or breakup, highly sensitive people are affected by things on a much deeper level. They are more easily annoyed, more easily brought to ecstasy and pure joy, more easily irritated, saddened, and feel physical pain more easily (and much deeper). These books were eye openers for me. Really explained a lot of things about childhood (and adulthood) that I knew were different, but didn't understand.

alexx

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w1
My best friend that is an INFJ is scared of dangly earings. He can't handle them. I do not wear them and notice when others do because the look on his face. It's hard to see but it is there - and I know he is freaking out a little inside.

I think perhaps he tore an earing out of someone ear as a baby or child, and the person was most likely so upset that he became terrified of earings that hang from the ear.

LotsOfHeart

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram

Thin-skinned INFJ

What you mentioned in the first paragraph is pretty common, especially among introverted feelers. Introverts with the feeling preference also tend to judge themselves harshly for something they see as wrong, but won't judge someone else at all for doing the same thing.

There is nothing wrong with it, it's good to be in touch with what's happening. That said, you have to remember phrases like, "This too shall pass" and also that sometimes tough things happen to EVERYONE. Eventually, we all have trauma of some kind (some more than others...unfortunately the world isn't fair, except for karma). Also, people often are jerks. I couldn't believe how mean some people could be when I was first exposed to that behavior, but over time it's important to just accept it was kind of a universal reality. Once I realized that everyone is basically as vulnerable as we are, but deal with it in different ways, I strangely felt better. Some people deal with it by yelling at others, or trying to act tough; some just completely ignore everything, but might be bleeding inside. Just because they don't show it doesn't mean it's not happening. I think IFs are just usually more open and honest about feeling vulnerable, not just in their words, but in their physical cues. It projects, and people pick it up. Over time I've had to learn to just hide my more vulnerable side from most people, because most would take advantage of it.

When I was in junior high, I grew up being one of the couple of my background in school (being of Iraqi descent). There was nothing really wrong with me, although I was a bit on the shy side, but I different from the other kids, and I grew up somewhere where being different wasn't necessarily embraced. Kids would pick on me and start fights with me. Luckily for me, my dad had given me boxing lessons when I was very little, and so I could actually fight pretty well, and word got around about it. After a while no one laid a hand on me, but it didn't stop the emotional abuse; people made still made fun of me and called me names, often in large groups. I got called a wide variety of names throughout those times.

One time, this "popular" girl told me she thought I was cute and wanted to go out with me either on a dare or as a joke. I thought she might've been playing a trick on me because I was pretty sure she didn't like me, but I said I'd go out with her because I didn't want to risk hurting her feelings if she was actually serious. She of course wasn't, so when I said yes, she and her friends laughed at me and called me a loser in front of everyone. People who were neutral with me were even laughing. A whole crowd of people laughing at me. I reacted by saying, "Oh, I didn't know you were kidding. If I had known that, I would've said no."

That seems like nothing, and it really is, but it hurt because I started thinking that I was the type of guy that girls thought was laughably unsuitable for any kind of dating. I also thought that "popular, pretty girls" would never want to go out with me, and that all pretty girls were mean. Luckily that's not true.

Another time, I got called up in front of my math class to solve a word problem on a day where I forgot to put my glasses on. Everything was on the overhead projector and it was somewhat blurry, coupled with my horrible vision. I couldn't see anything on the projector, and tried to explain it to the teacher, but she made me try to read it anyway. I just couldn't, so she handed me the transparent sheet from the projector and told me to try to solve the problem that way. Everyone was laughing at this point, and I still couldn't solve the problem even when I could read through it. Even the teacher was laughing at me by this point (I'm not kidding), so I just sat down out of embarrassment. To add insult to injury, I heard stories from a friend that a whole lunch table of people were laughing at me later on that day.

Of a more recent thing, while at work, a chair I was sitting on was faulty (one of the legs was breaking) and broke. I fell about six feet off of a stage landing right on my ass. The reaction was a mixture of laughing and genuine concern, but more of it was laughing. I guess it was somewhat funny, but I thought it was pretty cruel of some people to be laughing at me for being in an accident that wasn't even my fault. I handled it by laughing at it too, but deep down I felt pretty hurt, like I was basically a big f**k up.

Anyway, my point is as much as stuff like this can hurt, you just have to realize things happen and people are often jerks. Keep your shield up, although look out for the wonderful people in your life (there probably won't be many though). Just remember this...

"There's no sense in gettin' riled up every time a bunch of idiots give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should...

Plus I have a really large penis, that keeps me happy."

:D