• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Male INFPs with mother issues

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
You know, I'm beginning to have a theory here.

Every single male INFP I have EVER met has mother issues. Some are more severe than others; they all seem to have them, though.

I'm wondering whether that is key to developing the male INFP psyche?

Manipulative, controlling, absent...whatever the damaging characteristic may be, they all have mothers who were deeply influential in their lives in a negative fashion.

Some of them have come to terms with that fact; some have never gotten over the hold that their mothers have on them. Some are even somewhat Freudian in their relationships with their mothers.

I've actually known quite a few more male INFPs than most people ever get to know. Part of it is my natural tendency to seek them out; I know what I like in the menfolk, and my best friend has very similar tastes to mine, so we seem to know a good 8-9 male INFPs between us, with even more ENFPs.

Why might this be the case?

file cabinet

maybe it says more about you then it does those male infp's... i get along with my mom the most compared to everyone else in the family...
what i'm wondering is, why are you perhps so inexplicably drawn to male infp's with mother issues

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
heh.

Yeah, I don't find that's any more try for a certain type than another. Not to mention that there are always threads like this for every type.

"Does a dysfunctional home life cause the _ _ _ _ type?"

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
maybe it says more about you then it does those male infp's... i get along with my mom the most compared to everyone else in the family...
what i'm wondering is, why are you perhps so inexplicably drawn to male infp's with mother issues

Hmm...it's possible you have a point. OTOH, I have a fairly decent sample size, and we're not just talking about me.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, I've only met one male INFP, and while I didn't particularly gel with him, he seemed to speak well of his mom and I got the impression they had a balanced, "normal" relationship.

There are several male INFPs here who've expressed they have good relationships with their mothers, and a few who said they do not.

I'm also wondering if there is a tendency to type imbalanced introverted men as INFPs....it's pretty insulting to suggest the INFP personality develops due to a negative environment. That's basically saying the INFP psyche is a big fat flaw or malfunction. Interesting how this idea comes up after you've been jilted by an INFP...

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, I've only met one male INFP, and while I didn't particularly gel with him, he seemed to speak well of his mom and I got the impression they had a balanced, "normal" relationship.

There are several male INFPs here who've expressed they have good relationships with their mothers, and a few who said they do not.

I'm also wondering if there is a tendency to type imbalanced introverted men as INFPs....it's pretty insulting to suggest the INFP personality develops due to a negative environment. That's basically saying the INFP psyche is a big fat flaw or malfunction. Interesting how this idea comes up after you've been jilted by an INFP...

Actually, the one that jilted me is in the middle of the pack when it comes to mother issues. I was more curious on a larger level. I keep seeing a pattern when male INFPs talk about their mothers. I have nothing invested here; I'm more curious about why the pattern appears.

I think we all develop as a result of positive and negative reinforcement; is it so unrealistic to think that a repeated pattern produces repeated results?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think we all develop as a result of positive and negative reinforcement; is it so unrealistic to think that a repeated pattern produces repeated results?

I think personality can be influenced by the environment for better or worse, but I don't think it produces cognitive functions. I think cognitive functions are pretty innate. I especially don't think Fi Ne is the result of "mom issues", and I think it's not only unrealistic, but flat out ridiculous.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think personality can be influenced by the environment for better or worse, but I don't think it produces cognitive functions. I think cognitive functions are pretty innate. I especially don't think Fi Ne is the result of "mom issues", and I think it's not only unrealistic, but flat out ridiculous.

Why? I think my cognitive functions developed as a direct result of exposure to my father...who is an INTJ. I think we're probably all born with our preferences concerning introversion/extroversion and our desire to sense/intuit. However, it doesn't seem unreasonable that we could train our minds or be influenced to deal with the world as thinkers OR feelers...or judgers or perceivers. I'm guessing that each person finds one method or the other more useful, and I CERTAINLY think that our parents have a great deal to do with that.

Why would it be ridiculous?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I already said why. It implies INFP is a flaw. Does getting over these "mom issues" mean becoming another type? How can the INFP personality function in a healthy way if it is basically a big scar?

I'll let the INFP males come in and prove you wrong, okay?
I recall more than a handful talking very positively about their mothers.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I already said why. It implies INFP is a flaw. Does getting over these "mom issues" mean becoming another type? How can the INFP personality function in a healthy way if it is basically a big scar?

I'll let the INFP males come in and prove you wrong, okay?
I recall more than a handful talking very positively about their mothers.

ZOMG woman...calm down. It would be just as accurate for me to post a thread entitled "INTJ females with father issues". I know *I* certainly have them.

Would the fact that I have abandonment and daddy issues and the fact that those contributed to my logic and judgment and desire to rationalize be considered a giant flaw in my character? I will tell you right now that the other INTJ and ENTJ women I know ALL have father + abandonment issues. I just already happen to UNDERSTAND why they do. I don't know why INFP males seem to have the mother issues that they do...which is why I asked. Plus, aren't you female anyway?

We are ALL the product of our environment as well as genetics.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have my own theory what made me 'INFP' in this sense, though it had nothing to do with my mom (or my family in general). Suffice it to say that it came long after childhood and in no way family-related (though it was indeed a negative experience).

Concerning the OP:
My relationship with my parents is really fine. Of course there was that adolescent stuff, but I'm through with that. Maybe I also get along so well because I don't see them more often than every other or every third weekend, but then it's usually quite nice. In any case it's nothing like manipulative, controlling or absent. Just a healthy and trustful relationship.
Then again, I don't know whether I know any other male INFPs, but I also doubt a certain type is more prone to have a certain mother (to put it that way).

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I had a pretty positive relationship with my ENFP mother, and a more difficult one with my ESTJ father (which isn't particularly surprising). At this point, I have a generally positive relationship with both, but took a long time to accept my father at face value (for both good and bad). I suspect most people don't have entirely positive relationships with both parents. For one thing, we become individuals by breaking away from our parents' values in some respects. Can't be all sunshine, roses and unicorns all the time... not sure that's particular to given types, though.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cranky, I relate to the OP. However, when I tried to explore the subject with other INFPs the idea got shot down pretty quickly. I think INFPs may be more likely to struggle getting over unhealthy relationships with unhealthy mothers than other types, but not any more likely to experience them.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Cranky, I relate to the OP. However, when I tried to explore the subject with other INFPs the idea got shot down pretty quickly. I think INFPs may be more likely to struggle getting over unhealthy relationships with unhealthy mothers than other types, but not any more likely to experience them.

So it's more likely NOT that INFP males are more likely to have HAD difficult relationships with their mothers, but that they are more likely to struggle with dealing with those issues?

Frankly, I think it takes a tougher person to deal with those issue than your typical ESTJ male who simply ignores them.

Gothmawg

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, for me it's not exactly that I have issues...NOW.

Through tragedy and circumstance I was left alone at a relatively early age. During all of this I was expected to be the strong one...the caregiver.

I did have some serious issues early on and I was a very angry person and it took some serious setbacks for me to come to grips with what was going on with me.

I had no idea of typology back then and honestly I don't care to dwell on the past as I have learned the lessons and desire to look forward rather than back.

So did I have mommy issues? At one time, yeah, I did. My mother decided it was more important to her at to have a man in her life than to raise her children. I understand that now, and while it will probably mean we will never have a close relationship, I understand that it makes her human, just like the rest of us. I choose to let her live her life without me around to remind her of that. Holding a grudge, not allowing forgiveness will only cause you more problems down the road. The past is done and if you don't let it go...well, we've all known friends or had relationships with people who haven't been able to do that.

Did this make me INFP? I can't say for certain, but I do know that my letting go and getting on with my life DID reinforce it. With everything that has happened in my life, I CHOOSE to care about people and their lives and I have developed an insatiable curiosity for ideas, theories and information.

I do however also have a somewhat morbid fascination with apocalyptic scenarios...hrm. I guess that could be another subject.

Fecal McAngry

You know, I'm beginning to have a theory here.

Every single male INFP I have EVER met has mother issues. Some are more severe than others; they all seem to have them, though.

I'm wondering whether that is key to developing the male INFP psyche?

Manipulative, controlling, absent...whatever the damaging characteristic may be, they all have mothers who were deeply influential in their lives in a negative fashion.

Some of them have come to terms with that fact; some have never gotten over the hold that their mothers have on them. Some are even somewhat Freudian in their relationships with their mothers.

I've actually known quite a few more male INFPs than most people ever get to know. Part of it is my natural tendency to seek them out; I know what I like in the menfolk, and my best friend has very similar tastes to mine, so we seem to know a good 8-9 male INFPs between us, with even more ENFPs.

Why might this be the case?
I have mother issues; I balance them, however, with father issues. :party:Re: your question--INFPs tend to seek the approval of parental units more so, perhaps, any other type. INFPs also have an innate desire or drive to remain very close (emotionally & often physically) to their parents, and so strong is this drive even very bright INFPs will persist in trying to mend an obviously irreparably fucked relationship w/parents long, long after other types would have quit and run. Also, while I don't buy your premise entirely--I can name noteworthy INFP men who seem to have had positive relationships w/their mothers--Robert De Niro, for example, whose mother Virginia Admiral was enormously supportive and encouraging, or Bob Dylan--INFPs are far more likely than most to have strained relations, as they 1) require greater parental acceptance and affirmation than any other type, and 2) mothers/fathers are a fairly normative subset of "people," who generally find INFPs hard to fathom or relate to in the first place.

Of course, an INTJ is probably likely to view even healthy relationships between INFPs and parents from...a less flattering light than the INFP himself. INFPs need emotional intimacy and support to a degree some INTJs may find cloyingly sweet, sickening...dependent.

John Lennon:
YouTube - My Mummy's Dead - John Lennon

YouTube - John Lennon - Mother

YouTube - The Beatles - Julia

Elliott Smith:
YouTube - Elliott Smith Swedish TV Interview & Waltz #2 Live

Marlon Brando:
Amazon.com: Brando: Songs My Mother Taught Me (9780679410133): Marlon Brando, Robert Lindsey: Books

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
It might be possible the INFP temperament often causes mother issues and not mother issues causing INFP..

INFPs that don't have mother issues have mothers that are slightly different?

I only know one INFP and admittedly.. he doesnt really get along with his mom atleast thats the impression i get.

Fecal McAngry

. I think INFPs may be more likely to struggle getting over unhealthy relationships with unhealthy mothers than other types, but not any more likely to experience them.
Disagree. It's both. Your typical parents are far less likely to understand or appreciate an INFP boy than, say, an ISTJ boy, AND the INFP is far more sensitive to less-than-ideal-handling than the ISTJ.

Fecal McAngry

Why? I think my cognitive functions developed as a direct result of exposure to my father...who is an INTJ. I think we're probably all born with our preferences concerning introversion/extroversion and our desire to sense/intuit. However, it doesn't seem unreasonable that we could train our minds or be influenced to deal with the world as thinkers OR feelers...or judgers or perceivers. I'm guessing that each person finds one method or the other more useful, and I CERTAINLY think that our parents have a great deal to do with that.

I strongly believe, based on personal experience and the research I've read that MBTI type is almost entirely hardwired before birth. How you interact with--accept/reject/feel comfortable with--your MBTI type is highly influenced by environment; I was "taught" that Fi was bad and wrong and attempted to behave in a more stereotypically "masculine" fashion; it no more made me a T than sleeping with me made a certain lesbian whom I recall quite fondly straight.