• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Melancholia & Type

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Hi, I'm new, but I hope you don't mind me just jumping right in and starting a new topic. I could go on and on about this, but I'll just be very brief for now:

Do NFs (or perhaps Feeling types in general) have more of a tendency towards melancholiness (not necessarily of the clinically depressed variety, though that too might count) than other types?

I have a sense that certain types of emotions or ways of expressing emotion is more acceptable in certain cultures and societies than in others. Is melancholia particularly unacceptable in our culture/society, even more so than, say, anger? This has been my experience. What do others think?

wolfmaiden14

*ears perk up*
MBTI Type
Infx
If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing? It's cool to be depressed nowadays! WTF?! Of course.. because of people beginning to blow things out of proportion and pretending to cut themselves and whatnot, perhaps it has started to be looked down upon.

I think that any F would be more prone to melancholy. NFs perhaps even moreso because they see bigger things to BE sad about, which effect them at a deeper level, some of which they can't even do anything about which spirals it even more.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I have some melancholic tendencies in the depressed sense, but I'm not terribly depressed all of the time... more towards neutral/balanced, actually.

That said, I usually test as a Melancholy-Phlegmatic type in the temperament sense.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Just from my observations, understand, but there does seem to be a few INTPs that seems to be pretty melancholic. Anybody agree? or maybe it's just teen angst, immature INTPs. Yeah, I think that's probably it.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Just from my observations, understand, but there does seem to be a few INTPs that seems to be pretty melancholic. Anybody agree? or maybe it's just teen angst, immature INTPs. Yeah, I think that's probably it.

Mmm, a little bit. A lot of this may be looking at them from the outside and seeing a reclusive, somewhat pessimistic person and assuming they're depressed, though.

vince

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w
If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing?

I think there's a huge difference between mainstream "emo", which is just an empty buzzword for people with strange haircuts, and genuinely melancholic & depressed people.
Emotion has always been considered a weakness imho. And that's a shame.

By the way : welcome cloakofsnow. I personally think INFJ's & especially INFP's tend toward melancholy.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a lot of trouble with, eh, how do I put it -- being like stormy weather? Not to say I'm unpredictable, just... stormy. NFs I think tend to come off as being more "depressive" because we're so affected by everything around us. I know the pain of another, even a stranger, can go right through me like a knife and I have no way to stop it. When it's almost impossible to be objective (in the rational sense) one can be a bit wild at times. At least, I can be.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, I have a tendency to be gloomy sometimes for reasons I can't really explain. I certainly don't get depressed exactly, but I'm not my normal self. I think it tends to happen (maybe in other NFs) when I lose my sense of meaning and purpose in what I'm doing in my life. I don't always need to know where I'm going as much as I need to know the reason I'm doing something (or not doing anything), and if it doesn't seem to serve any useful function in my life, I get very melancholic.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think everyone goes through "melancholy" periods. An F is (in my experience) far more likely to show it though, either to the general public or to friends. And when they do show it, it often has a different....flavour from that of a T. I doubt that F would correspond to pessimism--though maybe they would have more dramatic mood swings. Perhaps the reasons for becoming unhappy would vary from type to type, though I doubt it's a simple dichotomy between T and F.

Hang

MBTI Type
INFJ
If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing? It's cool to be depressed nowadays! WTF?! Of course.. because of people beginning to blow things out of proportion and pretending to cut themselves and whatnot, perhaps it has started to be looked down upon.

I think that any F would be more prone to melancholy. NFs perhaps even moreso because they see bigger things to BE sad about, which effect them at a deeper level, some of which they can't even do anything about which spirals it even more.

hehe yeah.

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have so strong mood swings that I'm kind of tired with myself. My mood is never balanced... it just goes from happy-happy to depressed and usually switches multiple times a day. It's not really manic-depression, I just think and feel too much... When I feel depressed, I just keep going, because I know it's just a mood swing that goes by. So unless I say something, other people don't even notice.

I'm totally melancholic. My mother often asks "why?!??". My answer "It's just my personality" doesn't quite satisfy her.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, I have a tendency to be gloomy sometimes for reasons I can't really explain. I certainly don't get depressed exactly, but I'm not my normal self. I think it tends to happen (maybe in other NFs) when I lose my sense of meaning and purpose in what I'm doing in my life. I don't always need to know where I'm going as much as I need to know the reason I'm doing something (or not doing anything), and if it doesn't seem to serve any useful function in my life, I get very melancholic.

I agree 100%!

DONENO

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a lot of trouble with, eh, how do I put it -- being like stormy weather? Not to say I'm unpredictable, just... stormy. NFs I think tend to come off as being more "depressive" because we're so affected by everything around us.

Yeah, I agree. I seem depressive at times but as I've accepted emotions will come and go just like a storm; it's key not to hold on to them or you'll get a hurricane !!!

{BTW, I'm this is my first post here in case anyone cares :hi::hi::hi:}