• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] The self-effacing INFJ

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I remember reading an article about INFJ Gaelic singer and activist Mary Jane Lamond once, and the journalist described her as a "self-effacing and austere" woman. I think this self-effacing thing is pretty true about INFJs in general.
I know I often wish I were invisible so I could observe and take mental notes about human beings and learn more about them to get a better understanding of the people I care about. When I am forced or asked to interact when I'd rather be watching or listening, I sort of get annoyed. I rarely like being in the spotlight. I love the spotlight once in a while if I can stand there with other people I respect, but never on my own.

Any thoughts?

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think something fidelia said in the "INFJ Rage" thread applies here.

In discussing this with other people, I also realized that one of the reasons we both get mad at seemingly odd times (as well as appreciative at other seemingly odd times) is the time that INFJs need to process events and feelings which creates a delayed reaction.

It takes time to process events, what was said, conversations and decide how it fits into our world. There may be an initial positive or negative feeling about it, but it takes some days or hours before the INFJ may have comfortably determined why they feel that way and then decided on a course of action to take.

They don't want to be hasty, oversensitive, or misunderstand the situation, particularly if their reaction is going to affect others around them. This can be very difficult for extroverted, take action, decisive T types to understand and to adjust to having things up in the air. It may look like tentative decision making, or arbitrary sensitivity, but it has to do more with wanting all the information to predict foreseeable consequences before taking action.

I know that it's definitely true about me. Usually the only time I feel comfortable participating in conversation is if the topic is one that I've already put some thought into, so I already know what my opinions are. Otherwise, I'm more comfortable as a sort of invisible observer, just listening; then I process everything I've listened to once I am alone.

EDIT: I should probably mention that I know the op isn't about anger; I just wanted to use fidelia's comment because she expressed the aspect- of needing time to know what [my] opinions are- so well.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, I don't like weighing in on anything unless I've thought about it quite a bit first. I didn't understand that when ESTJ man and I started dating. He was having to decide what he was going to do with his inheritance and kept posing possible scenarios. I thought he was just telling me about some of his ideas and so I was being supportive and listening. I also didn't feel like an expert on investments, rental properties, portfolios etc. What I didn't realize till much later was that he was actually asking for advice by sharing it. Similarly, we had problems the other way around with him offering solutions when I was only venting.

Re OP: I'm a behind the scenes person for the most part. I like to make sure something goes off smoothly, but I often don't want to be the one in the limelight. The main exception is something where I am entirely in my element and am an obvious choice of person because I do have expertise that others do not share.

I don't like large group conversations with people I don't know well partly because I feel like there is too much information to take in all at once and the processing time for it takes too long for the rhythm of regular conversation. When I have just jumped in, the inner editor that normally gets to filter my speech starts berating me for all the faux pas I made or presents relevant new information that I had not previously had time to consider.

I did discover though that I really enjoyed the spotlight while I was busking. It was something unique I was able to offer other people to make their holiday memorable and it afforded lots of people watching and observation while doing something I enjoyed. I even could conduct human experiments while playing and it was endlessly fascinating and entertaining.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I tend to be very aware of the feelings/insecurities of others, to the point that I'm afraid my concern/empathy is showing up too obviously on my face. Same goes for reciprocating affection or enthusiasm in the moment. I need time to figure out the appropriate response. I think this comes from about 10 years of reacting to what I felt from the other person in the moment, only to figure out later that the individual wasn't really meaning to reveal what I was commenting on. Sometimes, in effort to respect other's emotional boundaries, I need time to decipher how in-depth they really meant to discuss something, so I don't stick my foot in my mouth.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
Sometimes, in effort to respect other's emotional boundaries, I need time to decipher how in-depth they really meant to discuss something, so I don't stick my foot in my mouth.

Oh true! NFs have to be careful with this! We like to be deep right away, and people are rarely ready for it! So awkward. I suppose it's wiser to let them come and open up when they need to talk.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On the flip side, sometimes it's good because some types have real difficulty voluntarily opening up unless prodded...a little bit. :whistling:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember reading an article about INFJ Gaelic singer and activist Mary Jane Lamond once, and the journalist described her as a "self-effacing and austere" woman. I think this self-effacing thing is pretty true about INFJs in general.
I know I often wish I were invisible so I could observe and take mental notes about human beings and learn more about them to get a better understanding of the people I care about. When I am forced or asked to interact when I'd rather be watching or listening, I sort of get annoyed. I rarely like being in the spotlight. I love the spotlight once in a while if I can stand there with other people I respect, but never on my own.

Any thoughts?

i think this is probably an sp/sx infj. which is probably the most common infj enneagram stacking. esp for 9s and maybe for some 4s and possibly 6s.

as both a 5 and as an sx/sp, i would never ever be described by the noun humility. when i was younger i gave off a vibe of arrogance and at times extreme distaste of others. nor austere, i am too open and un-focused to continually assert one specific direction, to iron out my wrinkles w iron fist, etc. i care about awareness and centering, it fits my worldview far better than CONTROL over any specific variable.

yet i do awkwardly recognize the tentative relationship between the development of awareness and disciplinary practices, re-figuring that is a current struggle of mine (virtually no self-discipline whatsoever, very little PRACTICAL consideration, etc).

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have this copied in my journal from this Enneagram test site:

Your main type is which ever behavior you utilize most and/or prefer. Your variant reflects your scoring profile on all nine types: so = social variant (compliant, friendly), sx = sexual variant (assertive, intense), sp = self preservation variant (withdrawn, security seeking).

I suspect state's right about most INFJs being sp/sx (which I believe means sp > sx). It wouldn't surprise me, anyway.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I suspect state's right about most INFJs being sp/sx (which I believe means sp > sx). It wouldn't surprise me, anyway.

I just passed this test and I am sp/so. Sx comes way after. Type One to Type Two.

About Mary Jane Lamond, she is single and around fifty, lives by herself in a small village in Cape Breton. She is very invovled in her community and cares about old people and new generations' needs (N needs, obviously). I think she might have a strong So because of how busy she is helping around. But she is a somehow cold person. I would also say she is humble. Humble as being honest about her limitations and flaws, but very hard on herself to the point of self-depreciation. But I think this is common in INFJs.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just passed this test and I am sp/so. Sx comes way after. Type One to Type Two.

About Mary Jane Lamond, she is single and around fifty, lives by herself in a small village in Cape Breton. She is very invovled in her community and cares about old people and new generations' needs (N needs, obviously). I think she might have a strong So because of how busy she is helping around. But she is a somehow cold person. I would also say she is humble. Humble as being honest about her limitations and flaws, but very hard on herself to the point of self-depreciation. But I think this is common in INFJs.

i think your definition of humble does make some sense. Fe causes us, especially as a less assertive second function, to consider others. considering others can very easily lead to imagining the self thru the eyes of others, which can promote accurate self-knowledge.

but i suspect sp first bc of the austere and self-effacing sense provided in your descriptions. it is more self-contained, more hesitant, more practical, more disciplinary. sx is more focused on desires, more spiking, less even keel, less self-sufficient, more incomplete and searching for something outside of it. so is the most balanced in terms of open/closed of all the infjs, the most consistently put together, averaged out, etc.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
i think your definition of humble does make some sense. Fe causes us, especially as a less assertive second function, to consider others. considering others can very easily lead to imagining the self thru the eyes of others, which can promote accurate self-knowledge.

but i suspect sp first bc of the austere and self-effacing sense provided in your descriptions. it is more self-contained, more hesitant, more practical, more disciplinary. sx is more focused on desires, more spiking, less even keel, less self-sufficient, more incomplete and searching for something outside of it. so is the most balanced in terms of open/closed of all the infjs, the most consistently put together, averaged out, etc.

Oh she is definitely sp first yes,yes. Very self-controlled. But I wouldn't be surprised so comes next.