• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Identity Crisis

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Story of my life. I think I'm an ENFP. I've never been sure.

I've socially stumbled around throughout my grade school experiences. Going from group to group and trying to be one of them, but it always crumbles.

I talk to my friend about it sometimes, and he asked me if I thought I was sitting behind an empty mask, and I didn't know how to answer. Maybe I'm in denial.

How does one (most likely an ENFP) go about finding himself? Does my identity lie in that I will never be one of them? Is this complete freedom/individuality? Yes I am type 4.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I've socially stumbled around throughout my grade school experiences. Going from group to group and trying to be one of them, but it always crumbles.

I talk to my friend about it sometimes, and he asked me if I thought I was sitting behind an empty mask, and I didn't know how to answer. Maybe I'm in denial.

How does one (most likely an ENFP) go about finding himself? Does my identity lie in that I will never be one of them? Is this complete freedom/individuality? Yes I am type 4.

One answer is that you find [out] more [about] of yourelf as you get older, have more experiences, etc. I think people can have identity criseses at many point sin their life, not just one when they are younger and forming their identity. There are always levels within levels.

Know that however you are now, probably some of it will stay with you, and some, quite possibly most of it, will change over time. Much is situational. Worrying about finding yourself probably wont help anything.

Spend time figuring out what is important to you, what your values are, what your beliefs and priorities are.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you ask?
Make no mistake, I'm actually quite serious with this question (and want to express my sympathy :)).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

I hit a huge bout of depression in late teens, hated, wrote, rebelled. What you are is all in there, it just rarely gets a chance to come out when you are adapting. At first I had to write knowing no one would ever read it. It meant it felt safe to be completely honest, and I didn't feel like I was destroying anything. After a while I started to see I disagreed with a lot that I'd been brought up on. ENFPs are made to have their own ideas, see reality for themselves. There is that urge to conform though. The urge is slightly misplaced, because you don't need to conform, more be accepted. I think it was realising that conforming made me less effective that got me to change. If you believe it is best case to conform and that it is what helps people the most and helps you connect the most, it can be hard to do different. It is just hard to know where the limits are if you start opening up. There is a lot of honest analysis and reality inside most ENFPs before the friendly judgement. Expression isn't damaging, especially if it has positive effects. I almost wish I'd hung around with ENFPs, INFJs and INFPs at school more and got more into the arts.

That was sort of a mess of stuff, but if you want advice, I'd say being open and yourself is the best way, as difficult as it is. Most people can be quite accepting, though there are obviously some bad choices. It sets you with a bit more confidence to be yourself also. ENFPs have good intent, but we aren't really built to be conservative. It is just a conflict we get in, where we feel we will harm things if we aren't. Playing it safe maybe. I used to be the moderating influence when it came to stupidity. These days I'm generally the one who drags the INTJs and other NTs in my friendship group past the line of no return. There is only one worse and he is either an NFP or SFP. The best reason I can give for being more open, is you have no identity to distinguish you from others if you just adapt. You end up being sidekick, and add nothing but support to the group. All of the really good parts that people should love you for they miss seeing. On some level ENFPs are complex, creative, deep, intelligent, clear thinking. All these sound a lot better than nice and helpful. And it isn't that bad to stuff up and hurt someone occasionally. Living and not hurting anyone is like training for a sport without any pain or risk. If you stay on your feet and cruise all day, you haven't learnt anything or pushed yourself. Feel free to dig into and dissect all the things you feel you should agree with but really don't feel comfortable with also. It helps you learn when to trust your intuition.

I also took up more stuff I liked, and broke off from friends who lead me in directions I didn't want to go. Stood up for what I disagreed with a bit, and tried not to side with injustice. That can help a lot, cos I work better when life is enjoyable and has meaning.

Phoenix_400

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w6
Self-reflection. Introspection. Life experience. Hard times.

Ask yourself hard questions. What do you enjoy when no one else is around? What do you believe? Why do you believe it? What would you do with your life if nothing or no-one could stop you?

Question everything and find the answers that are true for you. Try new things and let experience be your guide. Step into the fire of life and be forged or shattered by it. Come out stronger, or pick up the pieces and try again.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
aren't u in high school dood?

find urself in college brah!