• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ posers? Really?

MrRandom

MBTI Type
INFJ
And I also don't understand why people strive to understand INFJs so much. It's not like you're really going to meet a lot of them, since they make up roughly 0.5% of the world.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but it doesn't really matter how many INFJs are out there, because we INFJs are usually trying hard to understand ourselves.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't INFPs see a bunch of different paths (Ne)? True to themselves, yes, but never with a clear vision of where they're ending up! In fact I'd say my INFP friends are sometimes most likely to say "I don't know!!!!!" when asked what they'll be doing at any given stage of their lives.

This is true, but that's because people are often talking in concrete, definite terms. Fi tends to have broad principles and ideas that are as rooted as a tree trunk, but can branch off into many different paths in reality, and Ne makes sure they grow wide (I could continue with the tree metaphor, but it'll get cheesy). The INFP very much stays true to herself (or tries to), but that can be realized in different ways, and the INFP doesn't want to limit those options until life forces her to. This can make us seem like we "float" through life, but in reality, we're always rooted to our core beliefs and we'll dig our heels in when necessary.

I imagine that INFJs are somewhat opposite - a mass of ideas that find some central purpose externally, which makes them seem more focused on the surface, but allows for more movement within.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
INFJs come to a point where they've searched so hard for who they are that they stop trying and become hostile to being defined. This reflects in their appearance, as they don't want to look normal, but they don't want to stand out. Oh, and they're full of contradictions that seem hypocritical, but are actually the fruit of over-analyzation.

weakshadeofblue

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ragingkatsuki said:
Yea? Seems then that you are only noticing anything that has anything to do with your type. Not to be mean here but I've seen a lot of "fake INTJs", "fake INTPs", "fake INFPs" and "fake ENTJs" here. It's common around many personality types. And so far, I haven't yet seen anyone accusing someone of not being an INFJ. Perhaps you're just being paranoid.

You could have asked the questions without this reason because it goes the same for other types.

...Or perhaps I just joined this forum about a week or so ago and THAT is why I haven't seen these other comments.

weakshadeofblue

MBTI Type
INFJ
*regretting asking this question, b/c her "iNtuition" didn't lead her to think it would bother or offend so many people*

It was just a question!!!:doh::shock:

Thanks to everyone that provided some interesting insight (the state i am in)!

the state i am in said:
infjs are J types. we want things to move in specific directions. we do NOT tolerate misinformation and false endorsements. if something is polluting the airwaves, we want to clean it up. this is one reason why we clash with P types and get really fucking judgy sometimes, and issue frequent critiques and self-critiques.

This describes me quite well. Also, you mentioned in another post how directing this thread only at the mistyping of INFJs is specific and directing it at ALL types would be way too messy.

I didn't think of it that way, but YES, I agree. If I posted another thread inquiring about other mistypes, I would probably post 15 other individual threads inquiring about each type.

Otherwise, you get a thread that is 13,684,327,584,695,948,376 pages long, about ALL the types and it's way too difficult to keep up with.

Also, I enjoyed your detailed responses about Ni and Si (right?), as I haven't learned much about differentiating between Ni/Ne, Si/Se, etc. That was really interesting and made a lot of sense. Thanks! :nice:

Piedpiper

MBTI Type
INFJ
Shout out to MrRandom...what pressure would you be referring to?? Why would anyone need to feel pressure in regards to the MBTI. If you make a typo...make it boldly; if that's the real you that's the real.. you don't be paranoid - you should be just that. Never conform.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, the fake INFJ witch-hunt is very prevalent. I have seen posts on how everyone and their dog and their cousin and the little dustmites infesting our homes mistypes as INFJ at first. People have the right to be skeptical but there's no need to call others out if the person isn't causing any harm. :/ I am confident of my judging functions and being an N so some of the alternate types people have tossed out there are just nos at this point. The alternate types I would consider are reversing my two judging functions, I question being INFJ at times and I understand it's hard to tell over the internet. Or I've seen people take it to the next step and say that there can't be as many Ns as there are represented on forums.

While yes, there are probably mistypes out there, I suspect INFJs, Ns, NFs, NTs, etc. are likely to take an interest in typology once they discover it, hence why those are the more common types we see in typology communities. Some "not INFJ" characteristics I would see is people being more narrow-minded than I would expect a ni-dom to be or unable to put themselves in other people's shoes, suggesting lack of fe or lower F function. Also, people eager to socialize with others to the point where they overstep boundaries, I would at least put them in a different type category in some sense... INFJs have fe and have a certain need for people but maybe my high introversion preference and bias in that area makes me wonder "is so-and-so really an INFJ?" I am aware it varies from person to person. when they act like this. It's happened several times before. Or when someone is very critical and has no problems with insulting people.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It is definitely a struggle to understand yourself. Just when I think I have it down, something else occurs to me that throws me off.
Currently, it's this math thing. I read all over the internet that INFJs have a tendency to have super high GPAs and also to love math and science.
I love science, true, but, try as I might, I never got more than a C+ or B- in math. Ever. So, I felt discouraged in pursuing a degree in Neuroeducation, because I had to do all sorts of calculations that would always come out wrong.
As for languages , philosophy, grammar, writing...I didn't even need to try and I would get top marks. I enjoy writing and reading just for fun. Would that make me more of an INFP????
My GPA in college was not high, due to some major life stresses which I corrected during Sophomore year, but which have inpacted my grades.
I guess what I am trying to ask with this long thread is: do "real" INFJs have no difficulty whatsoever in academia?

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
It is definitely a struggle to understand yourself. Just when I think I have it down, something else occurs to me that throws me off.
Currently, it's this math thing. I read all over the internet that INFJs have a tendency to have super high GPAs and also to love math and science.
I love science, true, but, try as I might, I never got more than a C+ or B- in math. Ever. So, I felt discouraged in pursuing a degree in Neuroeducation, because I had to do all sorts of calculations that would always come out wrong.
As for languages , philosophy, grammar, writing...I didn't even need to try and I would get top marks. I enjoy writing and reading just for fun. Would that make me more of an INFP????
My GPA in college was not high, due to some major life stresses which I corrected during Sophomore year, but which have inpacted my grades.
I guess what I am trying to ask with this long thread is: do "real" INFJs have no difficulty whatsoever in academia?

We are never gonna understand us , New people learning mbti never think about "self growing" . The majority of sites talks about mbti using cliches from how each type behave in certain age.

We are alot more complex than a theory , Mbti is just a step ... humans are colectives beings someone always gonna learn and share something that shift our paradigm.

Greed

#1 thot
i'd wager that a significant portion of those that claim to be intuitive aren't actually, but just think they are because it makes them feel more "special."

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
i'd wager that a significant portion of those that claim to be intuitive aren't actually, but just think they are because it makes them feel more "special."

I don't even find the idea of judging people who can't understand themself , atractive at all.
Learning/teaching/understanding in my point of view is a better aprooch.

What's your type greed?

Greed

#1 thot
I don't even find the idea of judging people who can't understand themself , atractive at all.
Learning/teaching/understanding in my point of view is a better aprooch.

What's your type greed?

well i wasn't attempting to attract you. sorry to burst your bubble.

neko 4

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I didn't decide for myself that I'm an INFJ; I scored as one on at least 3 different tests! It's not that I "want" to be one. I think I'm the genuine thing.

Pessimistic Hippie

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know if I agree that mistyped INFJs should be grouped together with fake INFJs when talking about 'INFJ posers.' It's an incredibly easy mistake to make.

batteries included

MBTI Type
ISTJ
INFjs seem to carry a certain mystique about them. Aren't they supposed to be one of the rarer types (even more than INTJ)? At least that's the narrative I've seen trotted out sometimes. That, plus the allure of Ni dom in mbti theory.

Everyone likes to see themselves as a unicorn in some way, and I'd wager that many of them are at least introverted intuitives. Maybe INFP, since it's easy to feel different with that personality type, coupled with the intuition from aux Ne.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that there are a few causes of mistyped INFJs:
1. Generic online tests. Online tests, especially 16personalities.com, tend to give out the INFJ label out like candy. The INFJ type descriptions cite common traits (such as being "sensitive" and feeling "misunderstood") as INFJ traits. Although both of these traits are true for real INFJs, these traits can apply to many other types as well.
2. Some online articles may pass off common traits as "INFJ traits." I am not saying that all articles do this, but many online blog posts say that common traits are INFJ traits. Personality traits =/= personality type.
3. Wanting to feel "rare." Many people will say that they are INFJs so that they can feel special.

The point is, many people think that they are INXJs, and even INXX types in general, when they are really not. The intuitive bias is real.

LenaOnTheMoon

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Oh gosh this is so true!! Ever since I was 15 years old I’ve wanted to help humanity in some sort of way and find my own purpose in life. It’s why I aspire to inspire others through writing and making music.
I think one of the biggest things an INFJ has to have is a strong desire to make a difference or to be true to themselves/follow their "path" as they intuit it. These are definitely necessary for someone to be an INFJ imho.