• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] How Rare are INFPs?

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Every statistic of INFP frequency I find is different from the one before it.
Some say 1-2% while others claim 4-5%.
Personally, it's very hard to believe the 4-5% statistic. There's no way in hell there are .3% more INFPs than ESTPs :rolli:.

So, what does everyone else think about this?

Obviously, most of the online statistics are crap, and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all), but I'm curious to see how many real-life INFPs other people know. I've only known one other one.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It depends where the data is taken from. US, world, elsewhere. I usually see either 1% or 4%. I think Keirsey was an INTP and pretty numerical, and he came up with 4%. Later numbers are where I keep seeing 1% of US population

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all)

There's no way to identify someoone objectively as INFP or other. It's all done via questions that are either answered by or for you, and the questions themselves are only a "good guess" based on empirical data - not on a scientific, theoretical concept.
Since you can't really prove whether someone is a certain type, there can't be any objective or quasi-official statistic either.
Of course, I like to think I'm kinda rare and special (you may now join me in saying "We are all individuals!") - whether it's 4 or 1% doesn't affect me given the overwhelming majority of SJs and SPs :)

A

A window to the soul

There's no way to identify someoone objectively as INFP or other. It's all done via questions that are either answered by or for you, and the questions themselves are only a "good guess" based on empirical data - not on a scientific, theoretical concept.
Since you can't really prove whether someone is a certain type, there can't be any objective or quasi-official statistic either.
Of course, I like to think I'm kinda rare and special (you may now join me in saying "We are all individuals!") - whether it's 4 or 1% doesn't affect me given the overwhelming majority of SJs and SPs :)

Well said!!! :nice:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find 4-5% suspicious also, but then I've known only one other INFP in person, and I've met a disproportionate amount of INTPs and ENFJs. It turns out I know more INFJs in person than INFPs also.

Not to degrade INFPs, but we're not particularly useful creatures, in a practical sense, so I cannot see why nature would produce so many of us :tongue:. I also don't trust the stats because we all know how people test incorrectly, and I also wonder how random and controlled the sampling is....

It was a Keirsey study that put INFPs at 1%.

According to a 1964 American study conducted by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates, the population is...

Extraversion 75%, Introversion 25%
Sensing 75%, iNtuition 25%
Thinking 50%, Feeling 50%
Judging 50%, Perceiving 50%

Specific MB Population

SJ Guardians - 38%
SP Artisans - 36%
NF Idealists - 12%
NT Rationals - 12%

ESTJ - 13%
ESFJ - 13%
ESTP - 13%
ESFP - 13%
ISTJ - 6%
ISFJ - 6%
ISTP - 5%
ISFP - 5%
ENTJ - 5%
ENFJ - 5%
ENTP - 5%
ENFP - 5%
INTJ - 1%
INFJ - 1%
INTP - 1%
INFP - 1%

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I find 4-5% suspicious also, but then I've known only one other INFP in person, and I've met a disproportionate amount of INTPs and ENFJs. It turns out I know more INFJs in person than INFPs also.

Not to degrade INFPs, but we're not particularly useful creatures, in a practical sense, so I cannot see why nature would produce so many of us :tongue:. I also don't trust the stats because we all know how people test incorrectly, and I also wonder how random and controlled the sampling is....

Yes, I should have remembered that. Other sources later put it at 4%

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Every statistic of INFP frequency I find is different from the one before it.
Some say 1-2% while others claim 4-5%.
Personally, it's very hard to believe the 4-5% statistic. There's no way in hell there are .3% more INFPs than ESTPs :rolli:.

So, what does everyone else think about this?

Obviously, most of the online statistics are crap, and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all), but I'm curious to see how many real-life INFPs other people know. I've only known one other one.
I assume this is about RL.

Since the ESTJ is the most common type among men in America, it follows the Nemesis of ESTJ, the INFP, is the second rarest among girls, the INTP being the rarest. Among girls.
Among boys, the INFP is the rarest.

The dichotomy cannot be one way at one end of the line and another way at another?
Yes, I know Picasso did pictures that were illogical. So he became world famous and such.
And they say moon is cheese. It is a free world all right. Accuracy is out of date.

A

A window to the soul

What a nilly willy thing to say! :shock: Pigeon hole yourself. :hi:

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hah, I only know one other INFP irl. :D

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I assume this is about RL.

Since the ESTJ is the most common type among men in America, it follows the Nemesis of ESTJ, the INFP, is the second rarest among girls, the INTP being the rarest. Among girls.
Among boys, the INFP is the rarest.

The dichotomy cannot be one way at one end of the line and another way at another?
Yes, I know Picasso did pictures that were illogical. So he became world famous and such.
And they say moon is cheese. It is a free world all right. Accuracy is out of date.

I'm pretty sure the _NTJs are the rarest among women.

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I've never met another INFP. As for the practical comment...yeah don't ever ask me how I pay my bills. Magic possibly.

A

A window to the soul

I've never met another INFP. As for the practical comment...yeah don't ever ask me how I pay my bills. Magic possibly.

...Oh whatever! :violin:
Come on you all, get it together! I'm beginning to think I'm not INFP after all. :doh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rarer than ISFPs, but not as rare as INFJs. :smile:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Oh whatever! :violin:

Come on you all, get it together! I'm beginning to think I'm not INFP after all. :doh:

Why do you think you're one?

This is a secret operation to get you to post a "what's my type" thread, so that I can get my post count up to tell you you're an INFP. But don't tell perfectgirl. :ninja:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By estimates I've read, NTP women are almost (if not just as) rare as NTJ ones.

I've read that INTP and INTJ are just about tied for greatest rarity among females...but I do believe ENTP female is more common than ENTJ female, if I recall correctly.

A

A window to the soul

Why do you think you're one?

This is a secret operation to get you to post a "what's my type" thread, so that I can get my post count up to tell you you're an INFP. But don't tell perfectgirl. :ninja:

That's what I scored a few times.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
an even distribution of all 16 types is 6.3%.

i would say 1/25 (4%) for infps sounds about right. i know more infps than most other types. tho i rarely type sjs and sps bc historically i've had little interest in them and generally didn't care to know them.

in my work situation at a restaurant, i've met 1 entp, 4 enfps, 3 infps, 1 infj, 2 intjs, 1 entj, 2 enfj, and 1 intp. i've been blessed. 1 other person who claimed to be infp but is isfp.

in school so far this semester i've met 3 infjs, 3 infps, 1 intp, 2 entjs, 2 entps, 1 intj, 1 enfj, and a handful of istps.