• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] The ENFP Paradox

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Having an ENFP brother I know only too well what's being talked about here. But I wonder... is it perhaps somewhat harder for ENFP men than women, in some ways? I mean, if women feel insecure and paranoid, or if they feel they want reassurance or whatever, it seems a lot easier for them to get it, and to not look bad for wanting it, than for men, who are in this society supposed to just 'man up' and keep it within?

I know my brother has this tendency, but he'll deny it to the last - it's as though there's such pressure on males to be rational, independent, self-contained and level-headed, and generally T-type, that those who put importance in Feeling might tend to find that they have to hide it, or pretend they don't.

And this makes it all the harder to address, both for them and others.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Having an ENFP brother I know only too well what's being talked about here. But I wonder... is it perhaps somewhat harder for ENFP men than women, in some ways? I mean, if women feel insecure and paranoid, or if they feel they want reassurance or whatever, it seems a lot easier for them to get it, and to not look bad for wanting it, than for men, who are in this society supposed to just 'man up' and keep it within?

I know my brother has this tendency, but he'll deny it to the last - it's as though there's such pressure on males to be rational, independent, self-contained and level-headed, and generally T-type, that those who put importance in Feeling might tend to find that they have to hide it, or pretend they don't.

And this makes it all the harder to address, both for them and others.

No fucking kidding! Tell me my feelings don't fucking matter then tell me to be open? Fuck you!!! This was not to you Sub, but society in general.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've even had the discussion about it, where people tell me how well-liked I am, and while intellectually I follow it, emotionally, it's like :shock:? Because the heartstrings aren't up to speed with the head knowledge. I usually "feel" like more of a pest or someone who overstays their welcome, and not popular or well-liked.]

Thing is, I know they're (well, she is) smart enough to understand how this works, but it's the perfect defense mechanism to insulate against the repercussions of your own misbehavior. I end up tolerating shit that to me is obviously inappropriate, sometimes extremely so.

Given that Fe is my immature "shadow" function, being ignored, shrugged off, or deliberately misled just tears me up inside, and I can explain clearly why people shouldn't treat each other like that, (good intentions or not) but I just swallow it until it festers and grows to unhealthy intensity. If you're doing this intentionally, or even if you're aware of it, from my perspective it's a form of manipulation. It created mistrust and makes me want to keep somebody at arm's length even if I otherwise like them as a person.

Relationships with STs and NT's, and even some FJ's are easy for me because we all know we can deal with problems by just bringing up the issue and systematically laying out our respective cases. That ENFP insecurity thing just throws up a wall, and I have to compensate by not giving them the chance to hurt me even a little if I can't comfortably bring a problem to their attention. So it's not that I don't like you, it's that I have to keep my guard up further into the relationship than I would with another type.

I think what both of you are describing is more inferior Fe than anything else. And Fe reaction to Fi at that. I have the same reactions when I want to tell my INFP friends when I want to address some of my concerns about what's going on between us.

Fe isn't just about being nice and polite. Since Fe more than anything wants harmony its more sensitive to environmental emotional fluxes. You can't have harmony if you're completely oblivious to the way people act towards you, so Fe is always scanning for any blips on the radar. Even ETPs aren't oblivious to Fe when they're flouting appropriate social conduct (or being perfect angels :)). When ITPs want to engage their Fe, like Roger Mexico said, they're less sure of how to go about it, they're sensitive to the effects of their behavior on the environment and its effects on them (even if they can't explain it), and they also "know" what effects they should be having. I don't buy ITPs don't care about what others think about them. They care and when they feel ostracized they pretend like they don't. If Fe is anywhere in your conscious cognitive functions, you're sensitive to this.

Fi is less attuned to these environmental fluxes because Fi is about monitoring and regulating its emotional state. It's hard to take your emotional temperature and the temperature of others. This could be another reason why ENFPs aren't sure what other people think about them. They're extroverts so they move towards the object (people in this case) but their Fi wants to move inward. ENFPs are visible but the way people react to them isn't what they expected and this could be because they know how they feel internally but they're not communicating this externally. Does this make sense?

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
I think what both of you are describing is more inferior Fe than anything else. And Fe reaction to Fi at that. I have the same reactions when I want to tell my INFP friends when I want to address some of my concerns about what's going on between us.

Fe isn't just about being nice and polite. Since Fe more than anything wants harmony its more sensitive to environmental emotional fluxes. You can't have harmony if you're completely oblivious to the way people act towards you, so Fe is always scanning for any blips on the radar. Even ETPs aren't oblivious to Fe when they're flouting appropriate social conduct (or being perfect angels :)). When ITPs want to engage their Fe, like Roger Mexico said, they're less sure of how to go about it, they're sensitive to the effects of their behavior on the environment and its effects on them (even if they can't explain it), and they also "know" what effects they should be having. I don't buy ITPs don't care about what others think about them. They care and when they feel ostracized they pretend like they don't. If Fe is anywhere in your conscious cognitive functions, you're sensitive to this.

Fi is less attuned to these environmental fluxes because Fi is about monitoring and regulating its emotional state. It's hard to take your emotional temperature and the temperature of others. This could be another reason why ENFPs aren't sure what other people think about them. They're extroverts so they move towards the object (people in this case) but their Fi wants to move inward. ENFPs are visible but the way people react to them isn't what they expected and this could be because they know how they feel internally but they're not communicating this externally. Does this make sense?

It makes sense, but I was trying to address the issue of ENFP's being perceived as manipulative. The combination of spontaneity/impulsiveness with emotional negation of logically founded criticism makes for a personality you might like to have around but find difficult to have significant relationships with where reliability becomes a factor.

I'm a sucker for ENFP women--that fixation on me when I'm the primary component of their social environment makes me want to open up and bond--but it ends up in a love/hate thing once I see them treating everybody like that, and I can't explain my reservations to them for fear of an emotional overreaction, so I back away again and harbor unexpressed resentment. Yes, it's something I should--and do--work to mature beyond, but it's frustrating when I've got one who hasn't grown into an understanding of her own contributions to the dynamic.

R

RDF

Just as a general supplement to everything else said thus far, it's probably worth quoting from the experts.

For example, NFs as a group are sometimes known for a certain negativity. Here's a quote from Keirsey's book, "Please Understand Me" on NFs:

NFs, young or old, male or female, cannot shake off their intuitive understanding that existence is bittersweet, with defeat the other side of triumph--that, in the midst of happiness, sadness but awaits its turn.

With respect to ENFPs in particular, Keirsey says the following:

[...] ENFPs have outstanding intuitive powers and often find themselves trying to read what is going on inside of others, interpreting events in terms of another's hidden motives, and giving special meaning to words or actions. While this interpretation can be accurate, it can also be negative, sometimes inaccurately negative, and may introduce an unnecessarily toxic element into the relationship. For instance, [ENFPs] tend to attribute more power to authority figures than is there, and to give over to these figures an ability to see through them--a power of insight which is usually not there. In this way they can make serious mistakes in judgment, mistakes which derive from their tendency to project their own attributes onto others, and to focus on data which confirm their own biases. [...]

I should note that Keirsey goes on to strike a more positive note immediately afterwards: "Despite the occasional misinterpretation, [ENFPs] are good with people and make extensive use of their interpersonal powers... [etc.]"

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
It makes sense, but I was trying to address the issue of ENFP's being perceived as manipulative. The combination of spontaneity/impulsiveness with emotional negation of logically founded criticism makes for a personality you might like to have around but find difficult to have significant relationships with where reliability becomes a factor.

I'm a sucker for ENFP women--that fixation on me when I'm the primary component of their social environment makes me want to open up and bond--but it ends up in a love/hate thing once I see them treating everybody like that, and I can't explain my reservations to them for fear of an emotional overreaction, so I back away again and harbor unexpressed resentment. Yes, it's something I should--and do--work to mature beyond, but it's frustrating when I've got one who hasn't grown into an understanding of her own contributions to the dynamic.

OK. When I said ENFPs use heart grenades (which any feeling type can do), I meant using a valid vulnerability (hurt feelings) unethically against others as a way to keep yourself comfortable. Actually I'll use something Santtu said:

-so tender as to not elicit criticism upon them

We tend to get so caught up in type descriptions, as if every person is an exemplar of that particular type. This goes for any type so I'm not saying this is something only ENFPs do. The reason why I quoted Santtu is because he mentions a very important point. We all know at least one person that everyone likes and very few people have anything bad to say against them. IRL, I'm one of those people. But the scary thing about them is you always wonder how this person manages to have everyone like them. Sometimes I'm suspicious of people like that, I wonder if they're genuine or if I'm getting duped. I personally waiver between straddling the fence/keeping the peace or letting the truth be known even if it means I'm going to be disliked.

When I read the hate an ENFP thread I wondered how much constructive criticism can be given when ENFPs are saying, "don't hurt my feelings because I want everyone to love me" It strangles people in a way, puts them in bondage so that you're never able to be a plain dealer and everything gets hushed. If this is what you're saying, I get it. But I'm just trying to figure out what an ENFP spin to this looks like because different feeling types will have a variation of this same concept.

R

RDF

No fucking kidding! Tell me my feelings don't fucking matter then tell me to be open? Fuck you!!!

:rofl1: The ODEFKCUD* speaks! :hi:

*Original Dark Evil Frosty Kitty of Certain and Unavoidable Doom

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1: The ODEFKCUD* speaks! :hi:

*Original Dark Evil Frosty Kitty of Certain and Unavoidable Doom

Eh, I know it sounds immature, but it is definitely how I feel about that subject...

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
When I read the hate an ENFP thread I wondered how much constructive criticism can be given when ENFPs are saying, "don't hurt my feelings because I want everyone to love me" It strangles people in a way, puts them in bondage so that you're never able to be a plain dealer and everything gets hushed. If this is what you're saying, I get it. But I'm just trying to figure out what an ENFP spin to this looks like because different feeling types will have a variation of this same concept.

Basically you've got it. I don't know what an ENFP would say to that, but the behavior I've seen in person is a rather deft ducking of issues/changing of subject/ avoidance of the other person until you signal that you'd feel like the asshole for even bringing it up. FJ's in my experience will anticipate the criticism and prepare a response or an apology, but I confess my sample size there is pretty small. The whole retreat/avoidance thing from FP's is what gets to me.

R

RDF

Eh, I know it sounds immature, but it is definitely how I feel about that subject...

Not immature. Just out of line with the warm fuzzy image of your avatar and sig.

It just tickled my fancy. We're posting in a thread about whether ENFPs are manipulative sympathy-mongers, and all of a sudden a ball-of-fur-kitten appears in the thread and shouts "Fuck the world!!!" :steam:

Oh well, I'm derailing the thread. I'll stop here. :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Another ENFP POV

You know I never thought I throw 'heart grenades' at people -- though I do yell a lot at my ISTJ friend for being so harsh in general but since we're long time friends it's partly in jest and we both purposely poke at each other sometimes. I don't beat around the bush or plead with people either, if I don't like the way you are coming at me with your criticism, I'll let you know pretty directly and probably suggest a more CzeCze conducive mode of speaking with me.

Overall, I don't think I make people walk on eggshells around me. In fact, I make an effort to be the opposite and my friends and acquaintances and people I date or otherwise "am involved with" (ahem) tell me I'm quite honest and in a refreshing way. Even my humor is somewhat shocking, because I guess ENFPs are somewhat exhibitionist. In terms of criticism, I couple my honesty with consideration and tact and I really think that's the most efficient and effective way to run things. Be honest but think about the other person and the situation when you present your case.

As for 'dont' hurt me, I can't take it' I don't think this is the image I project nor do I care to. I found out long ago that this has the opposite or NO effect and you will be eaten alive (remember highschool people??? and at work telling people to be nice to you doesn't work, it gets you fired). Acquaintances, friends, and family have told me the opposite and that I put out the impression that I'm tough and independent and specifically (importat distinction) I want the world to know that I'm tough.

Also, I'm somewhat of a raging lesbian feminist, so this kind of "I'm weak, don't hurt me" image really runs completely counter to the very fiber of my political and personal beliefs. Even if I were to get all yogic hippie metaphysical on you I'd say "I am strong because I acknowledge my humanity and weakness" is the closest thing to "don't give me the truth, I can't handle it" that I will ever openly admit. Don't infantalize me or humor me, I can take it.

Sometimes, can I seriously NOT handle criticism? For sure. When I feel I have no choice but to swallow someone else's critique et. al. with no clue how to 'improve' or have a chance to defend myself. Case in point: my last corporate boss who never had enough time for me and basically just seemed PISSED and disappointed or extremely short when she critiqued me but never gave me any tips or ways to improve.

And I just want to add, there IS a difference between criticism and fighting words and hurtful intent. So sometimes if someone is balking at criticism, it's not that they are and total wuss with no hope in hell, but that they really are accurately pointing out someone's true agenda which is not very nice or constructive. And if you can't tell the difference or understand WHY someone is trying to critique you, I can see how a sensitive person would not want to hear it.

Just like it's possible for someone to use "don't hurt me, I'm fragile" to avoid dealing with reality (because honestly, I know we're talking about "criticism" here, but we're really talking about life et. al.) it's quite common for people to use "I'm just telling the rational truth or giving you my opinion (so stop being a fucking wuss and take it like a man!)" as a shield for being jerks. Sure there may be some TRUTH or 'rational thought' behind the criticism but if the intent is practically or totally to hurt someone or 'get payback' for an imagined sleight, you can't really fault the other person for not wanting to accept your thoughtful gift.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
see I have been everyones door mat for so long and now I just can't take it any longer, I am sick and tired of people treating me like crap and brushing off my feelings as something comparable to she's just over reacting.

yet when I ask another (regardless of type) if they would go through or put up with what i do they think I am crazy as I know no one else who would allow that.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Overall, I don't think I make people walk on eggshells around me. ... In terms of criticism, I couple my honesty with consideration and tact and I really think that's the most efficient and effective way to run things. Be honest but think about the other person and the situation when you present your case.

... Don't infantalize me or humor me, I can take it.

Obviously I don't know you personally so there's no way I can dispute what you say about yourself. But I have heard quite a few people say those words, or something similar, but all they in fact describe is that person's self-image - and quite often, it's somewhat at odds with reality or the image other people have of them. But because they have this self-image of a really reasonable person, you simply cannot tell them how you see them or get them to listen or take it on board, because they'll point blank deny any validity in anything you say: "I wouldn't do that, you're wrong - I'm a reasonable person" - "But I'm trying to tell you that you just did!" - "No, you've got me wrong, I wouldn't do that"... etc

Just like it's possible for someone to use "don't hurt me, I'm fragile" to avoid dealing with reality ... it's quite common for people to use "I'm just telling the rational truth or giving you my opinion ... as a shield for being jerks.

Yes, I've come across that one a lot... it's like when people introduce a sentence with a disclaimer ("I'm not racist, but...") then you can bet that whatever it is they denied at the start, that's what they really are, and they're looking for validation.

And by the same token, I've often come across the "tell me the truth, I want to know and I can take it" - "You're not going to like it..." - "It doesn't matter, I want to know" - "Okay then..." (an hour later) "Why are you being so mean? You're completely wrong! After all I've done for you and all you do is criticize me! When have I ever spoken to you like that?...."

see I have been everyones door mat for so long and now I just can't take it any longer, I am sick and tired of people treating me like crap and brushing off my feelings as something comparable to she's just over reacting.

FWIW, Thinkers can get that too - from Feelers, it can go both ways. If I ever try to express myself to my mother or brother, both of whom are Feelers, by showing that they've upset me, their first response is always to insist that if I don't 'calm down' then they won't listen to me at all - it's like they're saying that now they've upset me and I'm trying to stand up for myself, I'm not allowed to use my own voice to do that, because they don't like people shouting. And they say I'm overreacting - every time.

But just like you, when I ask anyone else for their perspective on what happened, they always say they think they were out of order and nobody would really put up with that.

-----

My personal experience with many ENFx's is that they just often have this very fixed self-righteous image, where they really do seem to think that because they 'do their best', they always 'do the best thing'. I know they only mean well, but quite often they're doing something that totally violates me and makes me feel very disrespected and judged, but when I try to tell them this, they deny any validity in my feelings because they didn't mean to cause them. They simply won't say sorry - the closest thing I can get is "I'm sorry my method of dealing with you offended you [but it's your fault if it did and I'm not going to change my method]". They believe they know how best to deal with "people", and they have a method that works with most or some, but when you try to suggest that this method needs a bit of alteration where you're concerned, they'll make out it's because there's something wrong with you ("Nobody else has said anything, nobody else has a problem"), and you need to adjust yourself to their method, rather than vice versa.

That can be quite frustrating.

R

RDF

It seems to me that there are two tangential ideas being discussed in this thread.

1) There's the OP, that asks "If we're well-liked, then how come we often don't feel well-liked?

2) Partly as an answer to the OP, Proteanmix raised the issue that ENFPs may be overly sympathy-seeking and cause others to handle them with kid gloves (and then subsequently register the resentment of the people around them, who may feel manipulated).

So far, my posts in the thread have mostly been in answer to the OP and the more general issue of how ENFPs may sabotage their own standing with their friends by being overly flakey (a consequence of their Ne). I haven't specifically addressed the sympathy-seeking aspect of ENFPs. But this post is about the sympathy-seeking aspect in particular.

(Long message ahead!)

I have one female ENFP acquaintance who is constantly stressed-out, strung-out, exhausted, mostly a shut-in, subject to endless nervous complaints, can't stay focused on anything for more than a few minutes, gets freaked out by any change or unexpected factor in her day (hot weather, more traffic on the road than expected, bad news on the radio even when it doesn't affect her), can't go to a restaurant without changing tables five or six times because this one is too bright, that one is too dark, the other one is too loud, etc.

Obviously this is extreme behavior. And it seems to be sympathy-seeking behavior in that everyone is expected to put up with her whims and mood swings and changes in plans. But I blame it mostly on her undisciplined Ne. Her extraverted Intuition latches onto any and all stimuli coming at her and tries to weaves patterns of meaning. And her Ne is "undisciplined" in that it doesn't distinguish between small meaningless stimuli and more important meaningful communications or signs. For example if she is having a conversation with someone, she can get distracted and upset by a fly buzzing in the room or window curtains rustling; her hypersensitive Ne registers the minor stimuli of the fly or the curtain and it analyzes, sorts, and parses them to see if they connect in any way with the major stimuli of the conversation.

As a result, my acquaintance is constantly bombarded with nervous/mental stimuli and is permanently overexcited, exhausted, and strung out. The solution to her problem is provided at the Personalitypage.com website that I linked earlier. She needs to develop her Fi and use it as a filtering device. She could learn to recognize some stimuli as important and other stimuli as inconsequential and ignorable, thereby reducing the activity of her Intuition and the burden on her nervous system.

Anyway, the point is that my female acquaintance acts whiny, needy, attention- and sympathy-seeking, and a hypochondriac. But her problems don't spring from a desire to attach herself to others by bonds of dependency or curry pity by being a hypochondriac. Rather, her Ne is out of control and she gets overstimulated. IOW, it's a problem related to her internal make-up and it has nothing to do with the people around her or her relations with them. (It only involves other people to the extent that the people around her get sucked up into her dramas because she is such an extreme Extravert and can't help broadcasting her troubles to the world.)

I've seen something similar in another female ENFP acquaintance. This second female ENFP is much tougher and much more independent. She is quick to criticize others and quick to make enemies. She doesn't seek sympathy or dependence on others at all; in fact she can be quite the little terror. Nonetheless, she suffers from many of the same chronic health and nervous problems as my other female ENFP acquaintance: Stress, exhaustion, jumpiness at the slightest stimuli, etc.

Again, the point is that the behavior in each case is not specifically intended to curry sympathy and pity. Rather, it's genuine nervous overstimulation and exhaustion due to runaway Ne.

As for male ENFPs:

In my experience, there tends to be a gender divide for ENFPs (as Substitute suggested). Male ENFPs are traditionally expected to tough it out and cope better with the world. So they often seem to have their Ne under control when it comes to dealing with random environmental stimuli. But runaway Ne may still manifest itself as flakiness and difficulty distinguishing between real problems and minor tangents, as I described in the case of my ENFP boss.

Also, runaway Ne may manifest itself as paranoia and misinterpretation of the motives of others, in the manner described in the Keirsey passage that I quoted in message #25 of this thread. Again, I just interpret this as runaway Ne. ENFPs don't distinguish between important and trivial signals or communications when dealing with people, so they may end up misinterpreting people around them despite their excellent intrapersonal skills. In the case of my ENFP boss, his relations with the people around him can be problematic. I mentioned how he keeps me and his deputy at arm's length because of old grudges. Having clashed with him in the past, we loom large on his radar and he can't every really let down his guard around us even though we've all worked well together since then. He is permanently on heightened Ne alert around us for any minute signal of dissatisfaction coming from us.

But again, the main point here is the same as before: The key to dealing with my ENFP boss is that he has strong Ne and sometimes gets into trouble when his Ne gets out of hand. Sympathy-seeking behavior really isn't an issue in his case.

So anyway, that's the main point that I want to raise about ENFPs and the issue of sympathy-seeking behavior. ENFPs may indeed overextend themselves, end up dependent on others, and require sympathy and gentle handling. But I think that this is a consequence of nervous overload from runaway Ne rather than some kind of neurotic need to seek approval or curry sympathy by feigning dependence and weakness.

(Just as a side-note: Extreme ENFPs often turn into shut-ins and recluses in their old age. If they're unable to tame their Ne as they get older, the world may simply be too much for them. Environmental stimuli and paranoia around people may make socializing too difficult for them over time.)

I think a similar misunderstanding occurs with INFPs. A lot of people see INFP behavior as ingratiating, and draw the conclusion that INFPs are all about approval-seeking behavior. But once you get to know INFPs you learn that Fi is, in fact, very much the opposite of ingratiating. It can be solipsist, self-involved, and selfish. INFPs aren't driven to seek the approval of others. If INFPs are sometimes ingratiating, it's more likely a side effect of Fi: Their ingratiation is a mere avoidance tool for dealing with the world and keeping it at arm's length while still trying to maintain harmony.

(Many extreme INFPs act timid and ingratiating; but if you ask them about it they'll admit that inwardly they despise their own timidity and ingratiating ways. But they are too solipsist and self-involved to tame their Fi, develop their Ne, and make the effort to develop more sophisticated and effective ways of dealing with the outside world.)

IOW, INFPs may in fact act ingratiating. But that's not what's driving them. What's driving them is Fi, which can in fact be very selfish. And if you look around a bit, it's not difficult to find brusque, irritable, negative INFPs who are the very opposite of ingratiating or approval-seeking.

So, to sum up: ENFPs aren't necessarily seeking sympathy; they often just suffer from runaway Ne. INFPs aren't ingratiating and approval-seeking at their core; they're just too self-involved with their Fi to develop more sophisticated and effective ways of dealing with the outside world.

:party2:

Just my own observations and opinions, of course.

R

RDF

On the same subject as my post above ^^^^:

In another thread I offered my own thoughts on how ENFPs can get a handle on their Ne and moderate it by developing their Auxiliary function (Fi). I also described how INFPs can tame their Fi and round themselves out by developing their Auxiliary function (Ne).

That other thread might be useful and help fill out the picture I described in the post above. Here's the link:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/bonfire/2461-how-can-inferior-functions-developed.html

shen

MBTI Type
ENFP
thanks for the link fineline:) I agree with your views.

actually, i'm aware of a lurking shadow sympathy button ...but, at the same time, i really despise being patted on the head....go figure.....and I keep it down most times, unless completley overwhelmed and traumatized and then:doh: I need patting faster than Benny Hill could ever wish for:cry:

Usehername

On a mission
On the same subject as my post above ^^^^:

In another thread I offered my own thoughts on how ENFPs can get a handle on their Ne and moderate it by developing their Auxiliary function (Fi). I also described how INFPs can tame their Fi and round themselves out by developing their Auxiliary function (Ne).

That other thread might be useful and help fill out the picture I described in the post above. Here's the link:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/bonfire/2461-how-can-inferior-functions-developed.html

sweet. INTJs next :yes: :D

Roger Mexico

MBTI Type
INTP
-----

My personal experience with many ENFx's is that they just often have this very fixed self-righteous image, where they really do seem to think that because they 'do their best', they always 'do the best thing'. I know they only mean well, but quite often they're doing something that totally violates me and makes me feel very disrespected and judged, but when I try to tell them this, they deny any validity in my feelings because they didn't mean to cause them. They simply won't say sorry - the closest thing I can get is "I'm sorry my method of dealing with you offended you [but it's your fault if it did and I'm not going to change my method]". They believe they know how best to deal with "people", and they have a method that works with most or some, but when you try to suggest that this method needs a bit of alteration where you're concerned, they'll make out it's because there's something wrong with you ("Nobody else has said anything, nobody else has a problem"), and you need to adjust yourself to their method, rather than vice versa.

That can be quite frustrating.

Man, that brings back memories. That was my mother's thing (not sure what type she is, but NF for sure):

--"You know you can talk to me about anything; I'd rather hear the truth."

--"OK, I'm a little upset with the way you negate me all the time and dismiss my opinions without considering them."

--"No. You're wrong. I don't do that."

--"You just did."

--"Well, now you're just being an asshole. After all I've done for you,..."

R

RDF

:D What...discuss how Dominant Ni works? Dominant Ni comes with a double whammy when looked at from the outside: it's introverted, and the Auxiliary J function (Te or Fe) tends to keep outsiders at a distance. So it's difficult to access and analyze from the outside by non-INxJ people.

I wouldn't mind comparing notes. It's tempting to play with the concept. There are work-related functions that I do that seem to involve Ni: That is, engaging in pattern-building and trying to mesh and balance inputs from multiple disciplines, so that once I arrive at an answer it can be difficult to justify to someone else how put I everything together (and/or to incorporate advice or instructions from someone else who wants to change up the mix of inputs). At least, that's how it seems to me.

Is there a particularly useful existing thread describing the Ni process from the point of view of INTJs and/or INFJs?

Last edited:
R

RDF

I wouldn't mind comparing notes. It's tempting to play with the concept. There are work-related functions that I do that seem to involve Ni...

I was thinking about this today, and it seems to me there probably isn't any reason to go into a big investigation of how Ni works. We can see from the Ne of ENFPs how N works in principle.

For example if she is having a conversation with someone, she can get distracted and upset by a fly buzzing in the room or window curtains rustling; her hypersensitive Ne registers the minor stimuli of the fly or the curtain and it analyzes, sorts, and parses them to see if they connect in any way with the major stimuli of the conversation.

The basic principle of N is assigning meaning to elements (stimuli, ideas) and then finding associations between disparate elements and weaving them together into patterns.

There is a related phenomenon in childhood, called "magical thinking." Young children basically have poor boundaries. They notice that if they dislike someone, sometimes bad things happen to that person. They draw the conclusion that their thoughts had something to do with what happened to the other person, and they assume that their thoughts have magical powers. (Of course they don't know that they are just playing the odds and working the "Forer effect.") They can come to believe in a connectedness running through the most unconnected things: "Step on a crack, break your mother's back." This tends to be the reason kids get so traumatized by a divorce or a death in the family--they fear that they might have caused it with their bad behavior or thoughts.

Similarly, Intuition is a non-judging (and therefore boundaryless) function. It seeks to establish connections and build associations between seemingly unrelated things. It's not hard to imagine that Intuition has its origins in this universal childhood developmental stage of "magical thinking."

To the degree that it can be used as an analysis tool, Intuition is highly effective. But since it's boundaryless, it can get overwhelming.

ENFPs can use extraverted intuition in a positive manner to read people; but if it gets out of control it can lead to the ENFP feeling bombarded and burnt out by trying to juggle an endless flow of external stimuli. By the same token INTJs can use introverted intuition in a positive manner to cast wide analytical nets and efficiently process disparate ideas simultaneously; but the process of churning their way through their ever-expanding internal reservoir of ideas can occupy more and more of their attention and isolate them from the world around them.

Anyway, I don't think it's necessary to pick apart the workings of INTJs and their Ni in detail. If more detail is needed, Personalitypage.com provides descriptions of how Ni works in INTJs and INFJs, its benefits, and its drawbacks.

I think it's probably more useful to make use of the material from Personalitypage.com and see how the INTJ's Dominant function and Auxiliary function interact, and then contrast that to other similar interactions in other personality types; similar to the way I contrasted ENFPs and INFPs in message #34 of this thread. I think that'll be more meaningful.

I'll write up something later (tomorrow or the next day) and post it here. I'll try to tie it in with ENFPs so that it won't represent a derailing of this ENFP thread. :D

Link to Personalitypage.com--scroll to the bottom of the page, and click on the link for your personality type:

Personal Growth