• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF lack of ambition?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm looking at Journalism and Consulting at the moment, and I already know that if I'm asked to undermine or destroy someone for the job that I'm likely to just walk. In the end it is just a job, you can't weigh it up against destroying a person's life.

Wait, how did you go from physics research to journalism/consulting???

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
For an INFP to be ambitious, they need to feel that they are fighting for something, something that means the world to them whereas SJ/NJ types are less picky, more naturally into structure and duty and work ethic.

I have a very bad work ethic, not because I am lazy, but because doing what I have no concern for sucks my energy so much that as a cashier, I constantly wanted to spend a week just sleeping.

However, if an INFP have found her/his 'mission', they can be more dedicated than any of the other types, to reach their ideals because we have such strong visions.

We are not naturally bulldozers, but that doesn't mean we can't 'learn' to be or 'force ourselves to be'. It would be extremely energy draining, though. This is why sometimes I wish I am an extrovert, for energy purposes. I sleep more than anyone I know. My friends all think I have some kind of iron deficiency.

V

violaine

I'm ambitious, I'm an optimizer, always striving and working to improve things. I enjoy challenges, I like to pursue opportunities and see results for my effort. One of the most frustrating aspects of my life is that I can't pursue everything I would like to concurrently.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm ambitious, I'm an optimizer, always striving and working to improve things. I enjoy challenges, I like to pursue opportunities and see results for my effort. One of the most frustrating aspects of my life is that I can't pursue everything I would like to concurrently.

Same. It's not enough to just have a dream, I want to make it a reality.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Wait, how did you go from physics research to journalism/consulting???

I'm an ENFP. Change travels fast :).

Journalism I have to go through a course. For consulting Physics/Eng gives a good base to get employed (ie. maths and problem solving).

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I see ambition as achieving one's personal goals, NOT as a rat-race. I consider myself very ambitious.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to be ambitious until life crushed me. Now I'm somewhat ambitious, but mostly just sleepy.

I see ambition as achieving one's personal goals, NOT as a rat-race. I consider myself very ambitious.
Love this! Yeah, I cannot stand competition. It feels so distorted, irrational, and it just makes me nauseated, dizzy, and generally feeling pain. Blech.

MadKitten

MBTI Type
INFP
I dont get this, i have been ambitious of all my life - and perfectionist. There is some sort of drive inside me that i cant stop :harley: that pushes me further. It's not about academic career stuff; that's for people who are able to keep their life in one piece. I want to do something no one has ever done before :rock:
This train has no breaks. :devil: :shocking:

Thessaly

I drink your milkshake.
MBTI Type
xNFP
Enneagram
3w4
I'm surrounded by a lot of SJs and SPs at work (and throughout daily life for that matter), and I'm often struck by how much more ambitious they are than me career-wise. I work hard, am good at my job, and take my work seriously, but I have zero interest in moving up the ladder because I don't want it to cut into my personal time, which I like to spend with family and friends as well as reading / doing other nerdish pursuits. Many of my girlfriends say they couldn't imagine being a stay-at-home mom, but to me that sounds pretty awesome. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to have more ambition, but moving up the ladder just kind of seems like a rat race to me. Any other NFs experience this? My suspicion is that ENFJs won't because most of the ones I know in real life have insanely amazing resumes and are involved in a million things. But who knows... Let me know if any of this resonates with you NFs... Or maybe I am just unusually lazy ;)

Most feeling oriented women would rather raise children. Just wait till your SF/SJ colleagues start having babies. They will drop out of the work force for several years to focus on that instead if their husbands can support them. They might keep busy with part time work or course work during this time. Studies show constantly that this is actually what most women want and are doing.

Linear progression at work is just one manifestation of ambition. Wanting to raise a child is another. We're raised to invalidate and undervalue emotional caretaking and other types of historically female dominated types of work. Things will change more over time as gender equality continues to evolve in the media.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For an INFP to be ambitious, they need to feel that they are fighting for something, something that means the world to them whereas SJ/NJ types are less picky, more naturally into structure and duty and work ethic.

What about NTP types? help meeeeeeeee....

Pursuing knowledge for its own sake, perhaps? But why on God's green earth would someone pay me to do that?

infinite

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
~8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What about NTP types? help meeeeeeeee....

Pursuing knowledge for its own sake, perhaps? But why on God's green earth would someone pay me to do that?

how to get paid for it?

spread the knowledge, educate others

use it for solving problems for other people